Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Question Damage oriented Paladin

I am coming back to the game after a veeeery long leave, having forgotten most everything. I am here hoping someone could tell me (in newby speak ;-) ) how to roll a Damage Paladin. I do not mind multi-classing. I dont care what race. I am also open to any other suggestions. I am just looking for a class that could do some good damage (while being somewhat durable) or (maybe) a class that will be popular in a group (aka useful).
    Please help me out here. I believe when I played before, I payed monthly fee, so I will not have too much unlocked (I think i have Warforged unlocked and thats it). Therefore I might not be able to do some builds that require premium stuff.

Thanks for any help ;-)

Howdy and welcome back!

Take a look at Junts' Paladin Guide; extremely detailed and helpful. There are several examples of DPS builds in the Sample Builds section.

Best of luck!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The bad news is pallies still lag behind other melee classes in terms of DPS; the good news is the Epic Destinies really help close the DPS gap once you make it to epic lvls. I've seen a few interesting pure pallies focused on DPS using Shadowdancer or FotW. That said, I still think pallies make better tanks than DPS builds.

Community Member

Since im a noob, to get that shadowdancer thing, I need to make a rouge (or one of other 2 classes) and level to a certain level and then rebirth?
    Can some 1 summarize it really quickly for me?

P.S. Is it just me or do the forums fail to load 3/4 times >_<.

Edit: If any 1 could, I'd love to be able to get on some random messaging program (or meet in game) so i can ask some questions for like 15 minutes ;-)
    Last edited by Ivanbin; 11-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Community Member

Here are some suggestions:

2 Paladin 18 Sorc
    2 Monk 6 Paladin 12 Fighter
    2 Rogue 6 Paladin 12 Fighter
    2 Paladin 18 FVS
    8 Druid 6 Paladin 6 Fighter
    2 Rogue 18 Paladin

They are in order of DPS, from highest, to lowest

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanbin View Post
    ) so i can ask some questions for like 15 minutes ;-)

Stormraiser in Khyber

Community Member

I did like what ubon said about pure paladins and high damage. And the Shadowdancer and such sounds interesting. I just do not know how to work it :-(

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    Stormraiser in Khyber
    Says you are offline >_<

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default paladin

Probably the most DPS out of a Paladin right now is to make a Paladin with an 18 Str and then spread the rest between Cha and Con. Everythinging else is a Dump Stat (it doesn't matter) (you will eventually have to get a Wis based item to cast your spells). I'm not sure which race you want, but I would probably go Dwarf or Human. With Dwarf I would roll with 18 Str, 16 Con, 12 Cha.

For Feats: 1)Toughness 3)Power Attack 6)THF 9)Improved Crit: Slashing 12)lImproved THF 15)Greater THF 18)Cleave 21)Supreme Cleave 24) Overwhelming Critical.

Put all Level ups into Str and train skills for Balance and UMD.

You will eventually want the Fury Epic Destiny as you will be a THF killing beast!! You can twist in Endless Lay on Hands and Endless Smites for some added Awesomeness as well as a few other bonus
    Twists for some personal flair.

The DPS at low levels will be good and a lot of fun. You will be outgunned from 14ish to 20 by almost everyone. Your DPs will be OK at 21 but once you get past the Sentinel ED and whatever path you take to get to Fury, you will love life at that point. As many have said though, while room will be OK, others will outperform you until you get to Fury!
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 11-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    Probably the most DPS out of a Paladin right now is to make a Paladin with an 18 Str and then spread the rest between Cha and Con. Everythinging else is a Dump State. 12 in each is the absolute minimum. 14 is good. Anything higher is awesome. However stick with the 18 str. If you are desperate or stuck with a 28 point build you could go as low as 16 and still have decent DPS.

For Feats: 1)Toughness 3)Power Attack 6)THF 9)Improved Crit: Slashing 12)lImproved THF 15)Greater THF 18)Cleave 21)Supreme Cleave 24) Overwhelming Critical.

Put all Level ups into Str and train skills for Balance and UMD.

You will eventually want the Fury ED as you will be a THF killing beast!! You can twist in Endless Lay on Hands and Endless Smites for some added Awesomeness as well as a few other bonus
    Twists for some personal flair.

The DPS at low levels will be good and a lot of fun. You will be outgunned from 14ish to 20 by almost everyone. Your DPs will be OK at 21 but once you get past the Sentinel ED and whatever path you take to get to Fury, you will love life at that point. As many have said though, while room will be OK, others will outperform you until you get to Fury!
    Any way we can chat in real time? Because of all you said I only understood about 1/2 and would love to ask some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanbin View Post
    Since im a noob, to get that shadowdancer thing, I need to make a rouge (or one of other 2 classes) and level to a certain level and then rebirth?
    You can read more about EDs on the wiki, but as a pure(ish) pally, you can work your way thru the Destiny Spheres to go Exalted Angel -> GMoF -> Shadowdancer. Time-consuming, but probably no worse than TRing.

Have a look at Arlathen's Angel of Death thread.
    8 Druid 6 Paladin 6 Fighter
    Not possible due to alignment restrictions.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default dps paladin

Ivanbin, unfortunately my wife wants to go out tonight and I'm not all that available. I will be on one of the toons in my signature tomorrow night from 9-12 eastern on gallahanda server if you want to chat, send me a tell.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    You can read more about EDs on the wiki, but as a pure(ish) pally, you can work your way thru the Destiny Spheres to go Exalted Angel -> GMoF -> Shadowdancer. Time-consuming, but probably no worse than TRing.

Have a look at Arlathen's Angel of Death thread.

Not possible due to alignment restrictions.
    So playing as a pure paladin, ill be able to eventually get to any ED, but it will make me go through other ones on the way to unlocking the one i need?

Also, how long (play time) would it take to level to 20 (and start working on the ED)

P.S. Any servers recommended for starting players?

It takes 1.9m exp to cap. If you gain 1000 xp per real minute, it will therefore take you 32 hours to cap, or about a month at an hour a day. I estimate it will take you between one and ten months.

For you I recommend this build:

Human Paladin (28 points)

Stats
    14 Str
    15 Dex
    14 Con
    10 Wis
    14 Cha

You eventually need +2 to base Dex. You can accomplish this with a +2 tome, a +1 tome and one level-up, or two level-ups. I advise you to go with the middle strategy and put every remaining level-up in Strength. If you do someday pull a +2 Dex tome, all the better.

Feats
    Two Weapon Fighting & Toughness
    Power Attack
    Maximize
    Improved TWF
    Greater TWF
    Improved Critical: Slash (for scimitars, you could also go IC: Pierce for rapiers but they look funny on a paladin)
    Open slot

Note: you can take ITWF as early as 6 if you do the 1+1 version or as late as 12 if you don't have the Dex until then.

Enhancements
    Divine Sacrifice 1 and Human Versatility 1 are absolute musts. Your paladin will never get a better return on investment for 2 AP. Human Improved Recovery is very good, as is Exalted Smite 1, and Extra Lay on Hands is a no brainer. I really like Devotion 2 both for pumping your self-heals and for unlocking Redemption, which is very useful on a low resource character.

Your big question mark is your Prestige Enhancement.
    -Hunter of the Dead gives you basically nothing DPS-wise, but is excellent for survivability, especially on a low resource character.
    -Knight of the Chalice gives a decent DPS bump but only against a specific set of monsters. This set is relatively popular at endgame but is by no means ubiquitous, and is intermittent throughout the game.
    -Defender of Siberys gives a smaller DPS bump and a bit of toughness but carries a large threat increase and slower movement speed. For a new character the threat increase isn't a big deal, you're not going to be in situations where aggro management is important until you have enough experience to handle it anyway. The slower movement speed is annoying, though. Additionally, Defender of Siberys requires a feat, and you're pretty tight on feats.
    I would go with HotD or maybe KotC, but stay away from DoS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    It takes 1.9m exp to cap. If you gain 1000 xp per real minute, it will therefore take you 32 hours to cap, or about a month at an hour a day. I estimate it will take you between one and ten months.

For you I recommend this build:

Human Paladin (28 points)

Stats
    14 Str
    15 Dex
    14 Con
    10 Wis
    14 Cha

You eventually need +2 to base Dex. You can accomplish this with a +2 tome, a +1 tome and one level-up, or two level-ups. I advise you to go with the middle strategy and put every remaining level-up in Strength. If you do someday pull a +2 Dex tome, all the better.

Feats
    Two Weapon Fighting & Toughness
    Power Attack
    Maximize
    Improved TWF
    Greater TWF
    Improved Critical: Slash (for scimitars, you could also go IC: Pierce for rapiers but they look funny on a paladin)
    Open slot

Note: you can take ITWF as early as 6 if you do the 1+1 version or as late as 12 if you don't have the Dex until then.

Enhancements
    Divine Sacrifice 1 and Human Versatility 1 are absolute musts. Your paladin will never get a better return on investment for 2 AP. Human Improved Recovery is very good, as is Exalted Smite 1, and Extra Lay on Hands is a no brainer. I really like Devotion 2 both for pumping your self-heals and for unlocking Redemption, which is very useful on a low resource character.

Your big question mark is your Prestige Enhancement.
    -Hunter of the Dead gives you basically nothing DPS-wise, but is excellent for survivability, especially on a low resource character.
    -Knight of the Chalice gives a decent DPS bump but only against a specific set of monsters. This set is relatively popular at endgame but is by no means ubiquitous, and is intermittent throughout the game.
    -Defender of Siberys gives a smaller DPS bump and a bit of toughness but carries a large threat increase and slower movement speed. For a new character the threat increase isn't a big deal, you're not going to be in situations where aggro management is important until you have enough experience to handle it anyway. The slower movement speed is annoying, though. Additionally, Defender of Siberys requires a feat, and you're pretty tight on feats.
    I would go with HotD or maybe KotC, but stay away from DoS.
    A 28 point new paladin is much harder to make with 2WF then 2handed fighting. I'd strongly suggest you go one of the following 2 paths:
    A) 2 handed, you can lower dex and will have more points for the build. The endgame worth of KotC is much much lower then what it used to be, I'd still lean toward DoS even at the cost of a feat. Start with 8 Wisdom, 8 Int and 8 Dex , 16 Str, 14 con and 16 charisma. Swap for Cleave feats.
    B) Sword and board. Same setup as before except this time DoS will shine. Swap for shield feats.

A 28 point new paladin is much harder to make with 2WF then 2handed fighting. I'd strongly suggest you go one of the following 2 paths:
    A) 2 handed, you can lower dex and will have more points for the build. The endgame worth of KotC is much much lower then what it used to be, I'd still lean toward DoS even at the cost of a feat. Start with 8 Wisdom, 8 Int and 8 Dex , 16 Str, 14 con and 16 charisma. Swap for Cleave feats.
    B) Sword and board. Same setup as before except this time DoS will shine. Swap for shield feats.
    It's true that not spending on Dex gets you more build points, but look at what you really gained with this stat swap: 1 Strength bonus and 1 Charisma bonus. Is that really so incredible? You net 1 damage, 1 fort save, and the ability to take a higher tier of Divine Might (which is of arguable worth anyway), you lose 2 reflex save, and that's not even going into how superior a fighting style TWF is, especially for paladins.

Im agreed with twf style as better dps option for new paladins that dont have much resources. you can start with a pure lvl 20 paladin that uses slash weapons.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
    (20 Paladin) 

Starting            Ending          
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats        
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)        
    Strength             16                 20            
    Dexterity            15                 17            
    Constitution         14                 14            
    Intelligence          8                  8            
    Wisdom                8                  8            
    Charisma             12                 12            

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11

Level 1 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Power Attack
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 4 (Paladin)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
    Ability Raise: DEX
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)
    with this, you only need a +1 dex tome to get before lvl 12 for itwf dex prereq (if you have a +2 dex tome you can expend all the raise ability points on strengh). Then, you will have time to get the other tomes. Also you can get scimitars, longswords or battleaxes at the ah depending on what you see available if dont have weapons when leveling. Make sure to get the enhancements for hunter of the undead prestige for low levels and then switch to knight of the chalice enhancements for high levels. You may want Defender of siberys prestige available too cause it gives a lot of hitpoints, but that requires an extra feature (like shield mastery), so can drop cleave or great cleave to get that if want to have that prestige available. As for epic destinys you probably will have to start with Unyielding Sentinel and then, when capped xp, can level other destinys like Fotw or shadowdancer or legendary dreadnought to if want some more dps, but Unyielding Sentinel has many good advantages on hitpoints and survivality to cover your lack of gear at the begining. Finally, for epic features you can get Overwhelming critical (requires cleave, greatcleave and base str of 23 (tomes included), and another feature that can be shield mastery (for Defender prestige) if doesnt have that yet
    Last edited by boredman; 11-22-2012 at 12:04 AM.

I would not attempt a TWF pally on a 28-pt build; hold out until you unlock either drow or 32-pt builds. You can make a pretty decent THF pally, though.

Community Member

I actually got my old account which had 32 point build unlocked somehow, and im wondering, what do i spend my Skill points on?
    And im hopefully looking for maybe a GS paladin.

Edit: Trying to follow the death angel build, but it is written for people who have been playing for a long time.Is there any way some 1 could be so kind as to write it out like boredman did? So i know exactly where to spend all my AP and SP and what traits to take
    Last edited by Ivanbin; 11-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.

I read you already decided on a build to follow but do want to throw in my two cents. I'm on my 10th melee life and also doing a paladin at the moment after DPS lives on all other ones, so I had the same goal as you do now.

I basicly chose for a pal 18/mnk 2 build because of a passive bonus monks get to AC and evasion when wearing light armor to help me with the defensive side.

Important parts of the build I use are:
    get high charisma, paladins have a feat that boost all your saving throws based on your charisma modifier.
    get cleave + greater cleave, I am not sure why people add this feat at high levels, because it is most useful at lower levels when stuff still dies in 1-3 hits and faster with crits. it will close the gap in dps compared to other melee classes quite a bit and I suggest at least taking improved critical: slashing so you have a better chance at dealing a critical hit.

I'll give you one good excuse to use the above feats: The bloody cleaver

The bloody cleaver is a two handed weapon that has a 30% chance to give you +15 max hp (with imp. crit feat), this greatly reduces your need for potions or heals and with cleave and greater cleave you can hit 3x in a row within the second, so the chance of getting +15hp on first contact with a monster is pretty high. Even if the rest of your gear is below average and you messed up your stats this tactic should be newbie-proof. As for skills there are likely different opinions, Jump is underrated but it will help a lot to get 26 jump. Balance is also important because it influences how fast you get up after you get knocked down. The rest is really optional, a lot of people like to go with UMD for scroll usage or with intimidate or bluff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast