Community Member

Question maul or greatsword

hi,

i have questionS about weighted maul Vs great sword for my fighter.

my feats for now are cleave, great cleave, and the THF feats.

what about the dps beetween a maul (1-10/20X3) and the greatsword (2-12/19-20X2) ?

i m not sure if weigthed effect is on even without SB feat ?
    i read than the weighted effect is ok on cleave, but i m not sure for the glancing blow.

do you feel than a weigthed maul with glancing blow and 2 cleave feat is OK for dps ?

so, for you, weigthed maul OR greatsword ?

thx a lot ! i rediscover ddo, and the rules are not very clear

It depends on what part of the game you do the most (as in low level, high level, epic level). Weighted is changed to stunning now, so I'll explain the changes to you:
    Weighted +10 had a 10% chance to apply a stunning effect on the target. Stunning +10 only has 3% chance. It's the same story for all stunning +x that they only have a 3% chance. So you can't reliably stun without the stunnnig blow feat itself.
    In the epic levels there has been added gear with the stunning +10 effect that aren't weapons. They are instead rings or armor. Thought they are very rare they allow you to stun just as well with a greatsword as with a maul. For a random generated weapon to have the stunning +10 effect it still needs the bludgeoning damage type, so this hasn't changed.
    So if you want to stun in the low-mid/high level game you should go with maul. If you want to go all the way and get the best of the best gear greatsword is the way to go or you could consider another two handed weapon like the greataxe.

EDIT: I should point out that the stunning effects on weapons come in +2, +4, +6, +8 and +10, as I only included the +10 in the rest of my post.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_kNiels View Post
    In the epic levels there has been added gear with the stunning +10 effect that aren't weapons. They are instead rings or armor. Thought they are very rare they allow you to stun just as well with a greatsword as with a maul.
    I think they changed stunning on non-weapons to not proc the passive stun, but only give bonus to stunning tactical feats.

Or am I mistaken?
    It's definitely an N-word.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    I think they changed stunning on non-weapons to not proc the passive stun, but only give bonus to stunning tactical feats.

Or am I mistaken?
    I think you are right...
    Think it changed like a year and a half ago?
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post

Or am I mistaken?
    IIRC it used to be +X to stun DCs and then the passive bit was that X as a % chance to stun, with no save.. now, its a flat 3% chance but has a save & the higher the stunning+ the higher the DC... think it was brought in around the same time as they brought in the helpless thing adding 50% damage rather than autocrits?
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

thx u all.

so + 10 on maul is ok on cleave and glancing blow, without the SB feat if i want, for 3% on all hit
    and + 10 on item is only ok on the SB hit , but i can use slashing weapon if i want.

you think that s true ?

i feel i ll take maul and test the stunning effect

feel free to complete if i missed some rules !

thx

Community Member

last question i miss :

fighter stunning enhancement work on all hit ( glancing + cleave) with a +10 stunning maul ?

thx

The fighter enhancements only apply to pushing the stunning blow button when you have the feat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by autopsie View Post
    last question i miss :

fighter stunning enhancement work on all hit ( glancing + cleave) with a +10 stunning maul ?

thx
    The fighter stunning enhancement only increases the DC of the stunning blow feat, which you cannot use with cleave, and I don't think it can proc glancing blows. Even if it can, you then have to proc the weapon effect chance on your glancing blow, which is another pretty low proc chance.

Community Member

ok , thx all.

i will test all this

i have questionS about weighted maul Vs great sword for my fighter.

my feats for now are cleave, great cleave, and the THF feats.
    -good feat choices. have you considered whether you are going for kensai, stalwart, or no prestige. be sure to pick up the relevant feats when you have decided. If you go for kensai you will need to decide between bludgeoning(maul) or slashing(greatsword).

what about the dps beetween a maul (1-10/20X3) and the greatsword (2-12/19-20X2) ?
    - dps on these weapons is near as dammit identical through heroic lvls. when you get to epic lvls there is a difference based on epic destiny and obviously weapon selection. The 'best' weapon in game is currently a greatsword called the "epic sword of shadow". It is a monumental ball ache to aquire. Id say generaly by end game slashing weapoins have slightly higher damage, bludgeoning have added tactical benefits.

i m not sure if weigthed effect is on even without SB feat ?
    It is on. 3% chance to trigger a stun attempt with every attack - the mob then gets a fort save to negate. stunning blow feat is 100% chance to trigger a stun attempt every 15 seconds on target of your choice - the mob then gets a fort save to negate.

i read than the weighted effect is ok on cleave, but i m not sure for the glancing blow.
    It works on glancing blows in exactly the same way as other weapon proc's... but you wont see it often as its a low% chance to proc X a low% chance to proc.

do you feel than a weigthed maul with glancing blow and 2 cleave feat is OK for dps ?
    Absolutely. I run a tactics fighter my self - mine uses 2 warhammers but at low lvls I used a maul so im speaking from experience. If your going down this route pick up stunning blow feat. A stunned enemy takes 50% more damage from all sources and cant fight back.

so, for you, weigthed maul OR greatsword ?
    for me... its character dependant, but I can tell you a tactics based fighter is a lot of fun indeed and highly effective.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

oh a further point. when you do get to epic lvls check out the legendary drednaught and the ability 'Anvil of thunder'. it requires you to use a bludgeoning weapon and does bonkers damage on a crit and auto stuns on a vorpal(no save). this ability will let you stun things 1/20 times that simply cant be stunned normaly - it doesnt work on red names tho obviosuly - they come up 'immune'.

so far with this ability ive managed to stun.
    iron golems, undead, elementals.

it raises a few coments from party memebers when your so epic you stun thigns that arent meant to be stunned.
    The fact that its an epic ability, doesnt work on red names, the description and the fact it only stuns on a 20 lead me to beleive its WAI - very cool.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Community Member

nice precisions

epic Lvls r for later, but now, iknow all i wanted !

for now, it s time to test !!!

ty bigolbear