Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Falvicar27 View Post
    I think I will TR him after I read more up on TR'ing. And what is torc & ML? Where do i get those things?

EDIT: What weapon should I use as I level? Im just starting out. Should I go with a rogue weapon or wands?
    The mabar robes might be a bit out of your reach at the moment. Mabar is supposed to be starting up again this week, but don't stress out about trying to make stuff.

As for weapons, on level 1 just use the ember rapier you get in the tutorial quest. Starting at level 2 use thaumaturgy staffs, preferably that boost both your elemental lines as well as giving lore in one of them. If you're unfamiliar with them, search the auction house for "thau" and they'll come up.

Starting at level 2 you won't be swinging weapons. Instead, you "nuke" stuff with damaging ray spells, and later cast area-of-effect (aoe) damage-over-time (dot) spells. Also starting at level 2 you can use mind control to make enemies fight on your side, greatly reducing the attacks coming your way as the rest of the mobs get busy killing your slaves. At later levels you use instant-death spells that don't do damage but instead just drop mobs in their tracks.

Good nukes:
    Niac's Cold Ray, Scorching Ray, Frost Lance, Lightning Bolt, Prismatic Ray, Necrotic Ray, Polar Ray

Niac's is your bread and butter at level 2. It starts to lose its effectiveness around level 4, but that's when scorching ray kicks in. As an alternative to rays you could go with splash damage spells like scorch, acid blast, cone of cold and fireball. I've never been a fan of splash damage spells but I've seen them be extremely effective.

Good AOE DOTs:
    Acid Rain, Wall of Fire, Ice Storm

Good charms:
    Charm Person, Charm Monster, Dominate Person

Dominate Person is particularly nice, especially at the level you get it. It works well on kobolds, hobgoblins, dwarves, elves; anything humanoid that's roughly your size. It won't work on ogres or trolls, though. For non-humanoids go with charm monster. "Charm" spells are short duration control (around a minute, maybe) and they attack stuff near them. "Dominate" spells are long duration (several minutes) and the dominated enemy will follow you around like a hireling. You can dominate multiple enemies, eventually ending up with a dozen slaves who swarm any new mobs you come across. I dig doing that. Starting at level 2 you can use charm person; sahuagin aren't people but cultists, kobolds and hobgoblines are.

Crowd Control:

Web, Hold Person, Hold Monster, Otto's Sphere of Dancing (dball)

Web is the greatest thing since sliced bread at low levels, especially if you cast it and wall of fire at the same spot at the same time. Enemies get stuck in the web and burn to a crisp.

Insta-kill:
    Phantasmal Killer, Finger of Death, Prismatic (sp)ray, Trap the Soul, Power Word: Kill, Wail

Insta-kill spells are pretty high level so you won't get them for a while, except for phantasmal killer. PK isn't the best insta-killer for a pale master but it can be fun to play around with in low level content.

You can easily solo on a rogue IF you enjoyed Metal Gear Solid or similar games. It is incredibly slow paced though.

The other way to do it is splash monk, give yourself a reasonable wisdom score and str score and stunning fist stunning blow as you charge through the dungeon annihilating everything with sneak damage. You also need a good bluff score for rednames, because they can't be stunned. And a pair of disruption wraps, because undead can't be stunned either.

Agree with the general consensus - rogues are very, very tough to solo on.

The Pale Master (with or without rogue splash, I advise staying pure wizard) is very powerful as a solo build but also very difficult to learn to play and doesn't become strong until level 7.

A Warforged Artificer or a fleshy druid are IMO the best all-around solo builds for someone that's not played a caster in DDO before.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    A Warforged Artificer or a fleshy druid are IMO the best all-around solo builds for someone that's not played a caster in DDO before.
    I assume the reason nobody is suggesting Warforged Sorcerer is that you can't swap spells on a whim? Because that would be among my recommendations for a first character.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    You can easily solo on a rogue IF you enjoyed Metal Gear Solid or similar games. It is incredibly slow paced though.
    The problem with this approach is most quests invariably end with boss fights, usually with adds, and the bosses are always(?) immune to things like Assassinate, so you have to finish them off the ol'-fashioned way. At which point your badass stealthy rogue is "just" a TWF build, usually with low HPs and no self-healing.
    The other way to do it is splash monk, give yourself a reasonable wisdom score and str score and stunning fist stunning blow as you charge through the dungeon annihilating everything with sneak damage.
    The problem with this approach is you go from worrying about four stats - STR, DEX, CON, INT- to five (+WIS). A bit tough to pull off, esp. now that you need DEX 21 to take Imp Sneak Atk; before all you needed was DEX 17 for ITWF & GTWF. [I suppose you could dump INT, but it seems a shame to give up on your Assassinate DCs like that.] Plus, as you say, Stunning Fist/Blow doesn't work on bosses, so you're in largely the same boat as the pure rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post

The other way to do it is splash monk, give yourself a reasonable wisdom score and str score and stunning fist stunning blow as you charge through the dungeon annihilating everything with sneak damage. You also need a good bluff score for rednames, because they can't be stunned. And a pair of disruption wraps, because undead can't be stunned either.
    +1.

Pure rogue solo can be done - don't expect to zerg through stuff. Plus, at lower levels many quests are going to have oozes and undead. Since backstab is a rogue's best attack, these critters look at a backstab and go, "PFFTH!" It becomes next to useless. They also make bluff fairly meaningless.

That being said, I think an easier alternative is the previously-mentioned Pale Trapper for pure solo play. You get decent spells, your Necro focus will help to work on - or control - undead, gives you the ability to do decent AoEs, and you have some decent trapping skills. Plus the self-healing makes up for a lot.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12