Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Glitterdust
    Sunburst, heighten it, drop all other augments on it, use it as your blinding spell. Its permanent blindness and slow instead of temporary like other spells, even on Epic Elite mobs. Sorcs can reach high enough evocation DCs to land it on EE mobs easily.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    27d6 averages 94 damage.

Non-rogue epic elite mobs hit normally for ~230 dmage with 0 PRR.

So, adding the usual sneak attack enhancements and items, a roguish mob breaking 400 damage is not at all out of hand on crits.
    Hi,

Thanks Nibel.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I did this quest on EE last night. My fort was only 140, but I did have incorp and ghostly. I did take some crit hits, but we finished.

I was not in my best destiny, as I wanted destiny xp.

At one point it was only me alive after we were all webbed. I raised the cleric, and finished.

It was a fun quest and look forward to doing it again. It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be after reading this thread.
    And of course, if you y'all had FOM you wouldn't have been in the position in the first place

Also as to the damage, I think that if melees in my group can sneak attack for 500+( and I'm thinking a saw a rogue paste in 800 crit this past week but its all blurry), why wouldn't an enemy mob be able to?
    Last edited by moops; 11-21-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    And of course, if you y'all had FOM you wouldn't have been in the position in the first place

Also as to the damage, I think that if melees in my group can sneak attack for 500+( and I'm thinking a saw a rogue paste in 800 crit this past week but its all blurry), why wouldn't an enemy mob be able to?
    Fom doesn't stop spider webs, just webs produced by a 'Web' spell, iirc. Don't know if fire shield is working.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    Fom doesn't stop spider webs, just webs produced by a 'Web' spell, iirc. Don't know if fire shield is working.

This.

Not sure about fire shield either... and I JUST ran this on EE last night on my sorc. Feel so DUH now- I shoulda tried that- got webbed 2x. lol
    DJ's Bravery Streak to 20 - DJ's Bravery Streak to 20 w/ Gr Tome of Learning
    Divinejourny(Artificer Completionist- 21/21lives) - Dreamjourny(Sorc 4/13lives) - Deadlyjourny(Paladin T3) - Dancinjourny(Moncher T3) - Darkjourny(12Monk/7Fighter/1Arti T3) -a few other alts

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kareena View Post
    This.

Not sure about fire shield either... and I JUST ran this on EE last night on my sorc. Feel so DUH now- I shoulda tried that- got webbed 2x. lol
    FoM was working fine against Spider webs on my sorc, not even webbed once in EE. I have Kundarak Delving boots.

Fom doesn't stop spider webs, just webs produced by a 'Web' spell, iirc.
    This is true. FoM only stops magical sources of impediment. But the spiders in the new pack are throwing magical webs because FoM works here. I doubt it is WAI, but for now, FoM and Resist Acid is all you need for those critters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus42 View Post
    This is true. FoM only stops magical sources of impediment. But the spiders in the new pack are throwing magical webs because FoM works here. I doubt it is WAI, but for now, FoM and Resist Acid is all you need for those critters.
    We were getting webbed with FoM on that quest. Sounds like something to be investigated.
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Epic Efang also gives 50% fort passive. Never needed brace for impact on my dmarked pally.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post

Hi,

Enemy HP are inflated to compensate for the huge amounts of damage our characters can put out. Our HP aren't inflated to anywhere near the same degree.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

Enemy HP are inflated to compensate for the huge amounts of damage our characters can put out. Our HP aren't inflated to anywhere near the same degree.

Thanks.
    No, but we can build up the defense and crowd control to prevent the damage in the first place. There are different approaches to taking damage beyond letting trash mobs hit us for large amounts of damage.

I've heard the argument that players should not gimp their DPS by investing in defense. My opinion is players shouldn't gimp their defense for a small increase in DPS because dying impacts DPS significantly.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    No, but we can build up the defense and crowd control to prevent the damage in the first place. There are different approaches to taking damage beyond letting trash mobs hit us for large amounts of damage.

I've heard the argument that players should not gimp their DPS by investing in defense. My opinion is players shouldn't gimp their defense for a small increase in DPS because dying impacts DPS significantly.
    Hi,

I agree completely with you about not gimping defense, and doing what can be done to avoid taking damage. That is a key part of my own playstyle.

My point was simply that if mobs could hit us for the same amounts of damage as we can hit them the game would be unplayable. EE mobs hit hard, sure, but their attack rate and spell selection is nowhere near as optimised as ours is, never mind the AI.

Even though damage can be mitigated, the peak amounts that could be put out just wouldn't be survivable with our character's HP ranges. I am a firm believer in doing what can be done to reduce damage but it can't always be completely prevented, and if it's so high that lag or a single player mistake is fatal, then that would be problem.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    My point was simply that if mobs could hit us for the same amounts of damage as we can hit them the game would be unplayable. EE mobs hit hard, sure, but their attack rate and spell selection is nowhere near as optimised as ours is, never mind the AI.
    Proportionally speaking? An EE mob can 3 or 4-shot a toon with lesser defensive potential with relative ease and some luck (assuming some dodge, blur, incorp).

I'd like to see you 3-shotting an EE mob on your melee consistently for the whole duration of a quest (taking ein out of the equation and unsustainable stuff like adrenaline).
    Buy my stuff!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I did this quest on EE last night. My fort was only 140, but I did have incorp and ghostly. I did take some crit hits, but we finished.

I was not in my best destiny, as I wanted destiny xp.

At one point it was only me alive after we were all webbed. I raised the cleric, and finished.

It was a fun quest and look forward to doing it again. It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be after reading this thread.
    I was on that quest with you on my squishy barbarian . He's not particularly geared for defense (no ghostly, no dodge, ~40 PRR, 125% fort). I didn't have too much problem surviving, between heals from the cleric, SF pots, kiting mobs and hitting damage mitigation boosts at the right time. When I did die it was usually because I was slow drinking a pot or was webbed. We weren't particularly careful or pulled mobs slowly either :P

It's not such a big deal. If your fortification is less than 150%, you'll be seeing the occasional crit/sneak attack. Either live with it (which you can) or adjust and get more fortification.

I'm glad they made fortification relevant.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Community Member

Proportionally speaking? An EE mob can 3 or 4-shot a toon with lesser defensive potential with relative ease and some luck (assuming some dodge, blur, incorp).

I'd like to see you 3-shotting an EE mob on your melee consistently for the whole duration of a quest (taking ein out of the equation and unsustainable stuff like adrenaline).
    Hi,

I take your point, and I have also experienced this in epic elites myself.

Even so, there are many things we can do to mobs that they can't do to us. If mobs had the full range of player abilities at the level of power available to the best built and geared characters, it just wouldn't work. Not with our HP totals as they are.

We aren't assassinated, EINed, chain stunned, nuked or DOTted at full strength, manyshot with slayer arrows, or any of the other things that a well put-together party can unleash on it enemies in every fight it has. And as you and other people have pointed out, defence and intelligent play go a long way.

I don't think I am saying anything particularly controversial here. But if you think otherwise please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    I'll be sure to let the sorcerers in on this 'secret'. It's not like they care about arcane casting failures, right?
    Umm just catching up on this thread but didnt you specifically say melees couldnt do this quest because of fort... And once you were comprehensibly shown how simple is is to get to a decent fort with a L1 twist change the topic to Arcanes? I smell something

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance777 View Post
    Sunburst, heighten it, drop all other augments on it, use it as your blinding spell. Its permanent blindness and slow instead of temporary like other spells, even on Epic Elite mobs. Sorcs can reach high enough evocation DCs to land it on EE mobs easily.

What dc do you recommend?
    Divinejourny(Artificer Completionist- 21/21lives) - Dreamjourny(Sorc 4/13lives) - Deadlyjourny(Paladin T3) - Dancinjourny(Moncher T3) - Darkjourny(12Monk/7Fighter/1Arti T3) -a few other alts

Community Member

What dc do you recommend?
    56 DC is not enough and it is based on Ref save.

In U16, all the mobs have stellar saves and most of them have Evasion. On my sorc, running with 56 DC most of the time, it is nowhere enough to land something easily. You will need Solid fog but standing in the fog is dangerous if you have melees following you.

If you want to land it reliably, you will probably need around 60 DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tid12 View Post
    56 DC is not enough and it is based on Ref save.

In U16, all the mobs have stellar saves and most of them have Evasion. On my sorc, running with 56 DC most of the time, it is nowhere enough to land something easily. You will need Solid fog but standing in the fog is dangerous if you have melees following you.

If you want to land it reliably, you will probably need around 60 DC.

Yea i don't see 60 dc as "easy" to get on a sorc. Gonna give sunburst a try but I dont see anywhere in the description about a "slow' effect.

Community Member

Yea i don't see 60 dc as "easy" to get on a sorc. Gonna give sunburst a try but I dont see anywhere in the description about a "slow' effect.
    Yeah I've no idea also how you can sustain 60 DC.

18 Cha
    6 Lvls
    8 from Gear
    3 Insightful
    1 Exceptional
    1 Litany
    1 Great Cha
    4 Enhancements
    5 Tome
    6 Destiny
    1 Twisted
    2 ship buff
    ------------------
    56 Cha (+23)

Evo DC:

10 Base + 9 Heighten + 23 Cha + 3 Epic evo focus + 3 Major evo item + 2 from destiny + 3 Twisted + 3 Sorc PLs + 1 Wiz Pls + 1 yugo pot = 58 DC

And it's counting stupid stuff like 6x Charisma from a destiny.

You can put Abishai cookies and House D pot in there but it's not much sustainable.

No way you can land it easily in the new pack.
    Last edited by Tid12; 11-24-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast