Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    Also, what is the problem with switching destinies or Twists for a quest--I do it all the time when I run EE..and in the old days, I switched spells for Epic quests. I switch gear as well, I have some completely different items for EE on all my alts.

When we did detour on EE without a caster, many of us switched to things that would help us pull mobs/stun mobs/assassinate mobs/ heal better--yes even the melee twisted in healing srping or cocoon or renewel, etc. And it was really quite fun.

I think that you will see the difference in guilds/players that ransack these quests on EE with no problems and those that are having problems, is that the first group balance their characters out, switch destiies and gear and they use strategy, Top DPS is not the end all be all in EE.

I had the pleasure of healing a half orc with no healing amp, only 100 % fort, who would not let the tank every grab aggro first...he was nothing but dead weight, literally.
    exactly
    Uriziem Completionist done, past life 28/30
    solo ADQ2 EE http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=414558
    solo FoT EE http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=414946
    Waiting better and harder end game(or neverwinter online)

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    Also, what is the problem with switching destinies or Twists for a quest--I do it all the time when I run EE..and in the old days, I switched spells for Epic quests. I switch gear as well, I have some completely different items for EE on all my alts.
    Yep this...some people have issues with game freezes as they move through multiple destinies, and that does get extremely annoying. But if you want to live better, switch. If you want what you had before, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    It would be less of an issue if rages actually recharged like a Virtuoso II songs, Turn Undead, or Lay on Hands.
    Sooooo true.

Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

This thread is actually really helpful to me. I'm posting devil's advocate questions not just to be a PITA but to try to sort out for myself how plausible this stuff really is, as opposed to run of the mill forum bravado. Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    lol where have you been? Now maybe things have changed but if every single character ever created out there did not have a heavy fort item equipped on them, they were deemed a fool and booted. I mean jesus, mino's is almost standard.

If you wanna go by that, then theirs alot of things the healer can be slotting and going for from enhancments and feats to make himself awesome sauce. Theirs a flippn ton of things any ac tank could be going for to make them more dmging.

However it's a 2 sided street there. You expect to get hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of extra dmg and the monsters over there have no rebuttal? At no time in game has it ever been really positive to go for full blown retard dps. It was just mildly overlooked as defensive builds sucked no matter what, and healers sucked down pots to heal through the numbers on a meat bag.

Where have I been? Right here playing the game since I started in '07.

Until recently there has not been anything "useful" for the helmet slot other than gs. Heavy fort drops in all item slots but on weapons, goggles, and bracers. So slotting heavy fort into any build without gimping the character is very easy.

Your second paragraph is true but as I previously stated heavy fort is easy slot on any build.

Two way street? Really? Have you seen the number of hitpoints the mobs have? At least on EH the wizards alone have just under 2000 hp. So their crits should take about the same percentage of our total hp as we do of theirs. You can not use the top characters in the game as a reference for this since everyone does not have those items.

Another issue I think is that the mobs that can bypass fortification do so when you are facing them. I feel (even for us) that if you can not sneak attack a character (flanking) you should not bypass any fort. This will fix the issue that this thread brought up and will still leave the danger of dying there if you are not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphious View Post
    Wow, that's classic! The guy goes with highly offensive focused class, a offensive focused destiny, three offensive twists, and a gear set that probably all offense except +con and basic heavy fort, and then he whines about how it's not fair he's a glass cannon.
    I used the barbarian as an example. But still hitpoints is as much of a shield as an actual shield is. Would you twist Brace for Impact if it meant you could not do your job for the group to its fullest extent? IE a wizard that needs those last few points of SPen or DC to make sure most mobs do not attack your party?

I am not saying in any terms that tactics are not needed to survive EE. I know this well and have a hard time with friends not doing this.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

Glitterdust
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

The Hatchery

Existential crisis of min-maxers: you'll need to pump some defense.

Getting a lot of defense, while figuring how to keep as much DPS as you can, is pretty fun. I love being able to duo/trio extremely hard content on my rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by skullzz View Post

I used the barbarian as an example. But still hitpoints is as much of a shield as an actual shield is. Would you twist Brace for Impact if it meant you could not do your job for the group to its fullest extent? IE a wizard that needs those last few points of SPen or DC to make sure most mobs do not attack your party?

I am not saying in any terms that tactics are not needed to survive EE. I know this well and have a hard time with friends not doing this.
    RE: Hit points
    Sure that's still true in theory, but it's just not practical any more. It used to be that a defender with a shield would have about 800 HP and 20% reduciton from a shield, for an effective HP of 960, a high but entirely feasible number for a barbarian. PRR didn't exist, incorporeal was limited to shadow fade, AC didn't matter in epics, and there was no dodge. Now a defender with 50% reduction from PRR, 10% incorporeal, 50% miss from AC, 10% dodge, and 20% blurry, and 1000 HP has an effective HP of over 6000 (if I'm doing my staking math right, but regardless many thousands), not to mention how much nicer mitigation is for healing.

RE: brace for impact
    I really don't think most builds are going to be gimped by giving up one twist for defense, but there probably are some, in which case you should find another way to get fort up. EE leaves of the forest gives +50% which is pretty solid on it's own, and a 10+25% for 135% is decent if not quite ideal. If you can't give up one twist, cant' wear leaves of the forest (or livewood core), can't slot 10+25, and can't avoid aggro, then yeah, maybe you need to rethink the build.
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    Glitterdust
    Sleet storm works as well if all have FOM in the group.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    154% Fortification is not realistic for melee, even twisting it in.

We're not face pulling. Invis and running Benson into a pack to take aggro is the best way to avoid the ridonkulos damage mobs are doing, but it's not 100% effective.
    True.
    I find 165% to be an easier number to achieve.

hvy fort + Brace for impact + excep 25% item.

Total 165% (which seems to work quite well)
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    Yep this...some people have issues with game freezes as they move through multiple destinies, and that does get extremely annoying. But if you want to live better, switch. If you want what you had before, don't.
    If they’re switching to change out twists, then you should educate them on how to do it without changing destinies. (Go to the E.D. screen. Under the “Abilities” section, check the “Show All” option. You can pull your twists directly from there.)

Otherwise, have them restart their DDO client. That means a full log out, make sure the DDOclient.exe isn’t showing up in Windows Task Manager, (When they get to windows, hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc; Click on the processes tab; Look for DDOclient.exe; wait for it to disappear on its own) and then relaunch DDO. (Note: If you try to kill the process in Task manager, you will probably have to reboot your system. So, patience is a virtue here.)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    If they’re switching to change out twists, then you should educate them on how to do it without changing destinies. (Go to the E.D. screen. Under the “Abilities” section, check the “Show All” option. You can pull your twists directly from there.)
    Has the bug been fixed such that those powers actually are enabled? Pre U16, the only way you could be certain the powers were going to activate properly was to swap your active destiny then choose it from that list.

I didn't realize, as it wasn't listed on the Wiki for "ghostly," but Treads of Falling Shadow from Detour also has ghostly and it is a slot that it should work in. http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Treads_of_Falling_Shadow

The quest is full of trash mobs. If you can not figure out how to deal with trash mobs then I do not know what to say. Sure they are trash mobs with over amped dumb sneak attack damage, but with trash mobs there is no reason why you need to be hit by them.

Note, that does not mean I endorse lazy design which has trash mobs throwing out 400 points of sneak attack damage.
    Last edited by Cyr; 11-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Community Member

Hi,

This discussion seems to be good example of how mob abilities don't scale very well as their CRs go up.

How many dice of sneak attack damage does a CR 54 mob get anyway? I'd assumed 27d6, but the damage numbers being quoted in this thread seem far too high for that.

Same issue with mob caster levels. Defensive magic and attempts to dispel enemy magic doesn't seem to work well with a comparison of caster levels between an inflated CR enemy caster and a PC.

Does anyone here know how CRs are determined for mobs in DDO? And why certain abilities of them are tied to their CR rather than set at levels which compare better to player abilities? Why CRs aren't held back or mob damage and other abilities tied to other values?

I'm also curious about what damage numbers the community considers too high even for EE content. Can you put a number on your own thresholds, or is the answer that the number is irrelevant because the goal should be to avoid dealing with those numbers at all?

Thanks.
    Last edited by blerkington; 11-20-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    How many dice of sneak attack damage does a CR 54 mob get anyway? I'd assumed 27d6, but the damage numbers being quoted in this thread seem far too high for that.
    27d6 averages 94 damage.

Non-rogue epic elite mobs hit normally for ~230 dmage with 0 PRR.

So, adding the usual sneak attack enhancements and items, a roguish mob breaking 400 damage is not at all out of hand on crits.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

I did this quest on EE last night. My fort was only 140, but I did have incorp and ghostly. I did take some crit hits, but we finished.

I was not in my best destiny, as I wanted destiny xp.

At one point it was only me alive after we were all webbed. I raised the cleric, and finished.

It was a fun quest and look forward to doing it again. It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be after reading this thread.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Ghostly is also on the new boots from the U16 pack (which are probably the best item in the bunch as far as universal appeal)

It is also on the Ring of the Stalker out of Cannith Challenges, and the epic golden guile.

I think it is on one or two other items as well. But this is what I can remember off the top of my head.
    Dont forget the level 24 mabar cloaks we all made, if you were fortunate enough to get what you needed for them

Btw I did as well as the robe and tbh i bought the motes and keys to be able to get the other ing to make the robe.

Cloak was all my hard work lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I did this quest on EE last night. My fort was only 140, but I did have incorp and ghostly. I did take some crit hits, but we finished.

I was not in my best destiny, as I wanted destiny xp.

At one point it was only me alive after we were all webbed. I raised the cleric, and finished.

It was a fun quest and look forward to doing it again. It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be after reading this thread.
    I think it is a matter of questing for years--literally years--without seeing the big red flashy screen and 40% of your hp dropping in one hit, then all of a sudden in this quest by comparison it seems like it's everywhere. It was just surprising, is all. We'll deal with it and move forward, just like we always do. I actually don't know exactly how many times it did happen; my memory is probably overexaggerating it x10.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast