Community Member

Default Login time-out issues.

Hi. I'm trying to log into ddo on an older machine. The game runs acceptably if i can get logged in, but that often takes dozens of tries.. lasting several minutes each. The problem is that by the time all the content loads and i make it to the point where i can see my character i get "Connection to the server has been lost.". I'm assuming this must be some sort of timer based problem. I try to log out in places where i think there will be less things to load on startup, like the guild ship or portable hole.. but that doesn't help much. Is there a way i can increase this timer so i can actually log in and play?

One problem i can see is that this timer must start the second i hit the "Login" button. I've tested this with 2 computers and 2 accounts... on the 2nd computer i will see the guild login message appear immediately when i hit Login button on the problem computer. Personally i feel that this message shouldn't appear until i have actually logged on, but that's another issue.

Another thing i've discovered with this technique is that i'm technically logged off well before i actually see my toon. On my 2nd computer i will see the guild log off message while on the problem computer i'm still looking at the loading screen. A couple minutes later the loading screen will finish and my character will be there, as well as all the icons and surrounding players/items, but there is an orange link/connection icon. A bit later i will get the "Connection to the server has been lost." message and the game closes.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Well, not any advice.. "Buy a better computer" or "Buy more memory" is not the kind of advice i am looking for. I'm fine with the performance of the game once i get logged in..

Thanks,
    -Scott

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I play on an older machine. That first load takes awhile, but used to take me -much- longer.

How much RAM do you have? Be certain to defrag the hard drive, want those disk tims to be maximized. I did upgrade from 2GB to 4GB and that helped, but if upgrading isn't an option, have you looked at what you load on startup and what else you've got running? More memory used for other things means more use of disk-based virtual memory means slower loading. More things taking up CPU time may also impact slower loading.

Try recycling your router and modem (just in case, 30 seconds of no downside.)

I -believe- the higher resolution and more video options you choose the longer the loading would be, try lowering some of those?

Those are just a few things form memory off the top of my head while hungry. I'm sure I've missed 47,000 other obvious things.

What kind of connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Wireless?

Community Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm actually a tech guy professionally and keep a pretty clean machine with minimal processes running. Upgrading really isn't an option... i would buy a new computer before i spent any kind of money on the machine in question. My internet connection is cable... adequate, but not the best.

I'm mostly interested in finding out if there is a registry setting or something that would allow me to increase the time-out. I'm guessing probably no...

Hi Scott,

I've had a similar experience for a while, which I resolved by putting the game on an SSD. It significantly lowers a lot of load times, including the character spawning. Now, I was stupid enough to think my motherboard would fully support booting from an SSD (it didn't, I've also got some older equipment) and foolishly got a 256GB version, but if you're going to be using it solely for gaming, a 64GB (or smaller) should suffice easily, not a big investment, but for DDO alone - already worth it.

(Not to mention you can move the SSD after you get a new rig )
    Caution: Rabid Shampoo Fan. Interaction at personal risk. :3
    Toons (Ghallanda): Lemau d'Jorasco (Mnk20E2TR2), Alitrania (Wiz20), Gracethyra d'Cannith (Art16TR1), Merilidoc (Rog2Rng6TR2 - Completionist that never ends), Shampoofan (Rog5Mnk4Drd6)

Community Member

Lemau, thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

I fixed this for my old slow laptop by turning up the textures cache to max.
    It will do shorten the loading screen as the text says and thus less chance to get stuck on it.
    Doing so also gets rid of the red link and also the resulting lag and small freezes.

Note textures cache won't work for everyone, since it may depend on your disk swap.
    I believe the cache gets dumped to pagefile if you have low ram, but so far works fine in-game, seems to cut more lag than it causes.

Anything else you can do to shorten the load screen will help, including getting more ram or a ssd.
    Note you may still get the red link on first login but not afterwards, and only rarely.
    The loading time is still a bit long but without the fix it was even longer and happened every single time.
    You can also get the red link after a toon swap.

Said slow laptop can still only run low graphics, in your case you may want to test from the ground up.
    My other computer is a desktop, with low ram and no ssd but decent vcard, can handle high graphics lagless.
    It will still take some time to load and ocasionally get the red link, but skips the post load screen freeze.

Community Member

Don, great suggestion... thanks! I just figured out i can use this 4gb SD card i have laying around for my page file, so hopefully that will help as well. I've ordered a SSD from ebay, so between that, the page being file moved off the HD, and your textures cache suggestion, hopefully i'll be good to go!

Thanks guys, i appreciate it!
    -Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sheintao View Post
    Don, great suggestion... thanks! I just figured out i can use this 4gb SD card i have laying around for my page file, so hopefully that will help as well. I've ordered a SSD from ebay, so between that, the page being file moved off the HD, and your textures cache suggestion, hopefully i'll be good to go!
    Not sure if a SD card is fast enough tho, you can try.
    People reported usb3 is good but usb2 isn't.

By the way, can say a readyboost stick does help.

Quote Originally Posted by sheintao View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to log into ddo on an older machine. The game runs acceptably if i can get logged in, but that often takes dozens of tries.. lasting several minutes each. The problem is that by the time all the content loads and i make it to the point where i can see my character i get "Connection to the server has been lost.".
    I'm having a similar problem myself since u14 I've been getting an red icon when first logging in and getting "server connection lost" after about a minute, second log in is usually ok though. In some other thread (back in u14) someone mentioned that it seems related to the amount of gear (and UMD checks) the character has to make at log in.

Logging in on an low level character with little gear and no UMD and then logging out to character screen and in with your preferred character seems to work for me.
    The Tarcane Death knight; a solo friendly plate wearing (0% spell failure) arcane knight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by legendlore View Post
    I'm having a similar problem myself since u14 I've been getting an red icon when first logging in and getting "server connection lost" after about a minute, second log in is usually ok though. In some other thread (back in u14) someone mentioned that it seems related to the amount of gear (and UMD checks) the character has to make at log in.

Logging in on an low level character with little gear and no UMD and then logging out to character screen and in with your preferred character seems to work for me.
    Yes, now that you say that... i've had the same experience. Trying to log in my "real" characters never works, but i seem to be able to get in when i log into my low level mule with almost no gear. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    Not sure if a SD card is fast enough tho, you can try.
    People reported usb3 is good but usb2 isn't.
    I just learned that the SD port is internally wired to a USB port and therefor would be slower than using a USB stick. I'll probably give it a try anyway since i have one of these laying around and my USB ports are only 2.0 anyway.

Thanks guys,
    -Scott