Thread: Bound Items

Default Bound Items

Hi all. It's my first time posting here, thought I'd ask a question. I've been soloing so far with my level 5 barb, and doing fairly well. Still a noob, though.

Can someone tell me how you can tell if an item in your inventory is bound or not? There are several items I want to sell, and I can't tell if they're bound, or if the vendor simply doesn't want them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElrondElfKing View Post
    Hi all. It's my first time posting here, thought I'd ask a question. I've been soloing so far with my level 5 barb, and doing fairly well. Still a noob, though.

Can someone tell me how you can tell if an item in your inventory is bound or not? There are several items I want to sell, and I can't tell if they're bound, or if the vendor simply doesn't want them.

Thanks
    Usually the current binding status is in the top left, under the item icon.

Maybe they have something like "starter item: this item cannot be sold or vendored" in the description?
    Or maybe they're collectables or somesuch... could you name one?
    Druids have a fundamental right to bear arms.

"No more patterns" - Shroud puzzles guide.

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Place your mouse pointer over the item and carefully read the entire description paying particular attention to the top parts of it and it will tell you there if it is Bound to Account (BtA), Bound to Character (BtC) or Bound to Character on Equip (BtCoE).

Hope this helps

Stoner81.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MindCake View Post
    Maybe they have something like "starter item: this item cannot be sold or vendored" in the description?
    Based on your level I'm guessing this. ^

Some of the equipment you get at the very beginning are considered "starter" and cannot be sold. You just have to drag them out of your inventory and destroy them once you have better stuff.

Bound to account and bound to character items can usually still be sold to vendors they just can't be traded to other players.

For example, +1 Cold Touch Greatsword. Has a green border around it. No other markings. Nothing that says bound or bta, or the like. No other indications under the icon. All my items are like this. Weird...

Unbound Items do not say "Unbound" as the default state of most items is Unbound.

As for vendor selling, anything in the "Sell" list can be sold to the vendor.

Also note that vendors will not buy items that have temporary damage on them.

It's a mystery. I hate to destroy them if some other vendor will take them off my hands, but I can't tell if they're bound or not

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Place your mouse pointer over the item and carefully read the entire description paying particular attention to the top parts of it and it will tell you there if it is Bound to Account (BtA), Bound to Character (BtC) or Bound to Character on Equip (BtCoE).

Hope this helps
    This.

You can tell if the item is bound by examining the item, right below the title at the top of the box.

For example:

If it doesn't say anything, and there's nothing else like "starter", etc. look to see if the item is worn or damaged.

Apart of that there may be items that can't be sold to vendors at all like bags, quest rewards, quest items, candy canes, event items, some collectibles, some ingredients, etc.
    There's not few actually, but usually not the common loot.
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 11-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    Also note that vendors will not buy items that have temporary damage on them.
    this. make sure to repair before you sell

Also check if your items are locked or not. There is a little icon below your inventory that lets you toggle the selected item from being locked/not locked. Locked items cannot be traded or sold.

If you're not sure whether the vendor takes that type of item or not, you can always check a general vendor. Anything that can be sold, can be sold to a bartender or general vendor. You might not get as much value as you would from a broker, but I find it is often worth the convenience to just sell everything to the nearest general vendor or barkeep and get back to questing.

Community Member

what server are you on? If you are on my server ( see below ) look me up on one of the characters ( see below ) and I'd be more than happy to get you into some gear and starting cash if you need.
    Thelanis: Anihsod ( drood ), Dexlorum ( nannybot ), Kiriagi ( thief ), Galrisian ( paladerp ) Hirp Dirp ( bard )

Since there is nothing written that indicates that the item is bound, I must assume that either the bartender or vendor or store doesn't need it at that time, or that it has been used by me and may have some wear (entirely possible). I've noticed that certain items are in need more at one time than another, so possibly that is based on how many of us are trading at the time.

I do use the lock button a lot, but this is not the case here.

That's one of the things I like so much about the game- it mimics real life. Anyway, going forward, I'll pay attention more to whether or not an item becomes bound when I acquire it, and I'll be sure to make sure the item is repaired.

I'm on Orien, and thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of gear and loads of cash. Just looking to get rid of excess.

Thanks for all the input. Very helpful for future reference.

Can you mention what other items you have that can't sell?
    You already mentioned a cold touch greatsword, was that because of the wear?

It's hard when you can only make guesses, when in game link the item in general chat (harbor or market maybe)
    so that people can have a look, someone may be able to tell you more about them, case by case.

Just remembered one thing.

Instead of selling to the vendors, you may want to consider deconstructing. You get some plat, some essences that may be worth money or be useful and you level up your crafting. There are a couple nice effects that are fairly easy to craft.
    Druids have a fundamental right to bear arms.

"No more patterns" - Shroud puzzles guide.

BigSlugger and DirtySheepDip hit the nail on the head. The items had a little bit of damage to them. I repaired them, and they sold fine. Thanks for all the advice.

You can sell bound items. You can’t sell starter Ă*tems.