Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i will say, for all the mechanic haters, that being a mechanic from level 6-11 is actually a really good idea.

i swear there's a few quests in that level range that have crazy stupid DCs to search/disable. *especially* if you're expecting to be running elite quests in that level range.

also, that's still in the time frame of repeater DPS not being completely awful compared to TWF (a pure rogue won't have GTWF until level 15 iirc), and assassin still isn't that great (it gets good at level 12 when you get assassinate; +1d6 sneak damage is somewhat ok, but not *that* great, and the poisons... well... they're good for the bonus to hit?)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by illusion28 View Post
    I have a question... actually a bunch of 'em but one or two regarind this issue.

I'm planning on making a Rogue, but when I started reading about stats, I read that SPOT was not a neccesarry skill if you have the proper gear.... which I'm not sure is correct. I mean, doesn't Spot warns you about traps and hidden doors?. If it's low, you'd have to get UBER equipment to keep it high enough to go along the DC's of every advancing quest... or am i completely wrong?

Can someone help me with this?

I thought about making an assassin as I've seen ppl being able to spot traps and disable them even in EE, BUT, most of them already knew where the traps were... so no point in using spot... but what about like never played before quests? Do my party soulstones mark the spot for trap?

Thanks in advance
    If you are unfamiliar with a quest you should stay behind at least 3 or 4 other players in your group. And then just watch for when one of them stops, faces a wall, and jumps up and down.

When you, spot, this behavior, start searching!

Go with spot. Also, look at some the rogue builds. My rogues current life is an int based assassin and I love it. It can also easily get any trap in EE.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

even with a 14 base you should still be able to shoot for the sky with common trap things. For instance. Their shouldn't be less then +5 tools in your inventory. If they don't say +5 they suck so trash em.

It's not like theirs some mass scarcity of +5 tools. Ive got so many of the things ive started to sell em on the ah cause theirs to many coming in with the chests.

Spot wise ive found something out. I think spot is very useful when trying to find damn near everything that seems to stealth in the under dark. It's dark enough down there trying to see people let alone when those suckers go invisi lol.

So ya finding that lil bastard of a necro that likes to make 4 or even 8 levels vanish, and then go for another 4 to 8 while hiding like a lil (edited) is definitely top priority finding that sucker quick.

Community Member

there is never a reason for a rogue to NOT have spot. Spot isn't just for a warning when there's a trap nearby. Rogues have more than enough points to spread around so there is no reason not to max spot. Where else would you put those points? swim? haggle? .. Rouges have so many points because there are so many places rogues NEED to put points.

spot
    search
    disable
    open lock
    hide
    move silent
    umd
    bluff
    diplo
    jump 10
    tumble

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    The truly good barb will run through the trap, survive it, then drink a SF pot on the other side so the healer doesn't have to top him off.
    Or you could have a trapper barb that will run trough the trap, evade damage, kill enemies on the other side, find the trapbox and disable it

If you're pugging with someone that has been in the quest at least once he will vividly remember where any deadly trap is. If it's an older player he will go out of his way and jump up n down like a maniac where the trapbox is so all you have to do is search and disable.

So spot is nice to have since you will have your spidey-senses tingling when there's a trap near by but not in any way mandatory.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

When spot works, it's useful. It tells you when you're in-range of searching the trap box.
    But, a lot of the time, it doesn't work. Rogues don't have wisdom, and spot is a wisdom based skill. Even with max ranks and core gear, a significant amount of the time, it's going to be doing absolutely nothing. Spot DCs are too high to make it reliable without actively buffing it as much as possible.

To all those saying "do it just because you have enough points", that's not really true. E.g. the list above me has no balance. Rogues often don't have enough points for every skill they could want. Hence, spot is a trade of a potentially useful skill for a potentially useless one. It's not an obvious choice.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Community Member

rogues DO have enough points to max spot .. if you don't max spot you are simply doing it wrong. The above list in no way depletes a rogues skill points leaving enough to put in balance etc. Without spot and / some in listen you can and will bump into a hidden mob before you know it's there. Again ... if you aren't maxing spot .. what are you doing with those point. Unless you are rolling a Rogbarian who dumps int because rogbarians are all about str and con. But then .. Rogbarians don't need to put any points into disable "because lets face it .. most traps are avoidable bro".

To the OP .. if you are rolling a rogue .. max spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanikila View Post
    rogues DO have enough points to max spot .. if you don't max spot you are simply doing it wrong. The above list in no way depletes a rogues skill points leaving enough to put in balance etc.
    Your list contains ten skills. That would be the limit of a human with 12 int.

Quote Originally Posted by illusion28 View Post
    I have a question... actually a bunch of 'em but one or two regarind this issue.

I'm planning on making a Rogue, but when I started reading about stats, I read that SPOT was not a neccesarry skill if you have the proper gear.... which I'm not sure is correct. I mean, doesn't Spot warns you about traps and hidden doors?. If it's low, you'd have to get UBER equipment to keep it high enough to go along the DC's of every advancing quest... or am i completely wrong?

Can someone help me with this?

I thought about making an assassin as I've seen ppl being able to spot traps and disable them even in EE, BUT, most of them already knew where the traps were... so no point in using spot... but what about like never played before quests? Do my party soulstones mark the spot for trap?

Thanks in advance
    What people mean is, if you already know where every trap in the game is, even the random ones, then you can search and still find the traps without the spot skill.

On the other hand, of you want to play the sneak type rogue with assassinate and all that, having really good hide and move silently will not be enough when you bump into a hidden monster you couldn't spot and pull his agro.

The 'you don't need spot' advice is good for a skill starved class with a rogue splash, but on a pure rogue... what are you going to spend them points on, swim? repair? basket weaving?

Will always take, and max, spot (and open lock) on a rogue. If i cant fit it in then i scrap/alter build. Is it needed? It is to the role player in me!

In general, its handy, but not essential. You can function without spot warnings. I'd recommend it on a first time rogue, because it helps to learn the locations of traps that are worth xp that are so easy to bypass (or turn off after a scripted event) that people forget they're even there and can be disabled.

It's more essential for someone looking to do stealth play. When you're sneaking, its very easy to bump into monsters that are also hidden and not agressive, and by stepping into their autodetect area, you're going to be spotted by them even with infinate hide/silent scores. Often these hidden monsters roam around, so you cant rely on simply memorising their locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    We like the fact it’s a choice as suppose to, “hell we just kill yonder dragon cause we’re OP”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I say we take off and nerf the whole game from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    When spot works, it's useful. It tells you when you're in-range of searching the trap box.
    But, a lot of the time, it doesn't work. Rogues don't have wisdom, and spot is a wisdom based skill. Even with max ranks and core gear, a significant amount of the time, it's going to be doing absolutely nothing. Spot DCs are too high to make it reliable without actively buffing it as much as possible.

To all those saying "do it just because you have enough points", that's not really true. E.g. the list above me has no balance. Rogues often don't have enough points for every skill they could want. Hence, spot is a trade of a potentially useful skill for a potentially useless one. It's not an obvious choice.

While this is technicaly true, it's no trouble to get your wis up. you will probably end up with the +6 wis on your GS item anyway, or slotting wis on an epic item. And the +spot items are cheap and you will end up with it on an epic item anyway. It will work most of the time.
    Get spot.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

I love having a decent spot skill.

Seeing stealthed mobs is huge
    Warning in unfamiliar area huge

Like most have said though...most groups now will find the trap for you then you just fall back on your search and disable.

On my rogue and arti actually, my spot is lower than my search just due to int being very high and wisdom significantly lower. But by investing in it each lvl and utilizing an epic spyglass its high enough that I was getting helpful spot checks in EE detour lvl 26, which gave me time to warn the group ahead of time.
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

I really don't see why not use spot... You should have more than enough skill points to raise it.
    I'm using my epic spyglasses which gives +20 spot (and +2 insightful int) on my artificer, it helps a lot.
    Sure, knowing the quest helps, but sometimes you just forget, and it also helps to detect monsters

If you have the skill points take spot and gear for it as it can be very useful but I put it after disable, search, open locks, umd maybe balance if your building an assassin you should have a good int to get your dc up to a nice level so you should have plenty of skill points to take spot

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Either you take spot or not.

If you do, be sure to max it. With full ranks, alot of buffs and a +20 spot item, there are still a few traps in EE quests that i won't spot. You need a high score.

Thinking that your spot works, while it doesn't, can be pretty dangerous..
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Just to be clear... without a suffiicient spot score, you are fairly worthless as a trapsmith. Ignore everyone saying that "if you know where the traps are..."

No, it does not matter if you know where random traps might be. The question is if they are there, or not. And frankly, it isn't worth the time of the search animation to find out. More than likely a rogue will survive running into one, and anyone else who is zerging won't be stopped in time if doing a search. Once a trap is visible it's usually fairly trivial to circumvent it in the vast majority of cases.

In PUGs, very few people will actually wait for the trap to be disabled. They will circumvent the trap and continue ahead while you disable for the xp bonus. Most people won't care that much about the xp bonus, especially if they already lost the flawless victory bonus because you couldn't spot the trap.

Community Member

Default Trouble with spot?

My artificier has been having trouble lately spotting traps. He couldn't spot a trap/secret door to save his life (luckily he knew where to search). Gear may have been a problem pre-U16, but after the drop he crafted new spot/search/disable gear and still couldn't spot those silly traps.

Oh and anyone who dumps spot might need to LR on Lammania every time to memorize new trap locations. Also spot comes in handy if you skip assassin 1 and go with mechanic 1 and light repeaters: you need spot to start ranging those pesky hidden enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
    Just to be clear... without a suffiicient spot score, you are fairly worthless as a trapsmith.
    This is hyperbole. The majority of rogues don't hit the spot dc's for their at-level elite content, and go through the entire levelling process in that manner without being considered inadequate. If it means the group lets the rogue run first through the potential random traps, so be it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast