Default Steam sudden huge download...

The first time I tried to log in today, it got to the game and then lagged out as my character was logging in (I downloaded it via steam on this computer)

The second time, Steam popped up a note saying it needed to convert content to a more efficient format (weird, never saw that before) when it was done, it then said it needed to download "Missing content" (remember, 30 seconds earlier, it got all the way into the game and only lagged out, with no "missing content" warnings) - Now it's apparently downloading something pretty huge (Been half an hour, and it's only 3% complete)

So what's with Steam compressing content, anyone more familiar with steam know what that's all about?

And did some big update just get put up in the last half hour?
    "What do I want? I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut your head off and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this." - Vir Cotto, Babylon 5

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rahubby View Post
    The first time I tried to log in today, it got to the game and then lagged out as my character was logging in (I downloaded it via steam on this computer)

The second time, Steam popped up a note saying it needed to convert content to a more efficient format (weird, never saw that before) when it was done, it then said it needed to download "Missing content" (remember, 30 seconds earlier, it got all the way into the game and only lagged out, with no "missing content" warnings) - Now it's apparently downloading something pretty huge (Been half an hour, and it's only 3% complete)

So what's with Steam compressing content, anyone more familiar with steam know what that's all about?

And did some big update just get put up in the last half hour?
    Had the same thing, the conversion took maybe 1 minute or less but then it started to download almost 7 GB on this 2 mbit hotel connection ... not cool.

Since i don't want to wait 4 hours i closed steam and copied the files from the "dungeons and dragons online\Backup" folder back to "dungeons and dragons online" (since my turbinelaucher.exe was gone) and started that directly, without steam. This way it's downloading update 16 again, but hopefully i can play this way until i'm back home to download again via steam.

EDIT: well, my DDO folder is less than 1 gb large at the moment, guess steam already deleted the "old" files ... no ddo today then ...
    Last edited by lame_name; 11-13-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I've heard about that happening to lotro also. So I haven't run the game through steam yet.
    Granted only my lotro has been installed through steam.

Here is hoping T or someone will speak up on the matter, as I'm curious. I could only speculate.

Oh yeah, my wife updated the game last night. She decided to have steam verify files this morning and it said 32 files failed. Which I'm honestly taking it to mean that the dat files got updated so they don't match what is in steam any more and steam will redownload it utterly, followed up by patching it utterly again by DDO launcher.

I've had no issues with mine or the wife's steam installs.

Not sure Turbine will get involved with the Steam side. I believe (happy to be corrected if wrong) that a publisher/developer hands the files to Valve and its then up to them as to how they set it up within Steam. You may be better off addressing this issue through Steam/Valve support than Turbine.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    I've had no issues with mine or the wife's steam installs.

Not sure Turbine will get involved with the Steam side. I believe (happy to be corrected if wrong) that a publisher/developer hands the files to Valve and its then up to them as to how they set it up within Steam. You may be better off addressing this issue through Steam/Valve support than Turbine.
    Well apparently after it verified files, it is now doing the Steam conversion. And my wife did install via steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Well apparently after it verified files, it is now doing the Steam conversion. And my wife did install via steam.
    So I read this and went huh? I've been playing all day without issue. So I relaunched DDO through Steam and bang it wants to convert the files. Bugger!

Edit: Then deleted most of the files and is downloading again.
    Last edited by Garix; 11-13-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

YourDDO Creator
    2015 DDO Players Council

Min'e s sitting at 5% currently. I think Turbine did some behind the scenes tweaking of the code and had to totally update the package they have on Steam. This may also be why ppl who run through Wine have been having issues.

Greensteel Planner, ToD Ring Planner, Server Status, Monster Manual Reference
    I was a Mournlander
    Silas_O'Reilly is now known as Ague in the forums!!

Downloaded overnight and seems to be happy again.

Strange

next time i think before installing ddo ON steam ... and Lotro

waiting at 60% or something
    Shagrath-1 Kensei Balsagoth-1- Frenzied Berserker Aetvrnvs Earth Savant Morndin Radiant Servant Asmodeios Tempest Siegeht Angel of Vengeance Artyomka Battle Engineer Ergeht Ninja Spy

I bot CoD4:MW thru Steam. Completely useless interface, non-existent app-id's in the UI, inaccessible command line options, and zero support from Steam support.

I'll be sure to NEVER run ddo through Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!