Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What is the drop rate of, say, a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds from a barrel vs. the droprate of the same item from a chest, with all other things being equal? Am I more likely to get an item from a chest or from a breakable?

Next questions, are the drops from breakables affected by Jewels of Fortune?
    Where is my GREATBOW???

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Not a bug.
    I stand corrected, then.

Philosophy behind the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Philosophy behind the change?
    Breakables were boring. There was little reason to bother with them in most quests, since you could earn XP more efficiently in many cases by ignoring them, and thus completing the quest faster.

Making them able to drop items appropriate to the quest CR will make them more relevant for some players.

TLDR version:
    More fun.

TLDR version:
    More fun.
    Makes sense. TY for the response.

Although after some of the other changes reported today, I can't help but wonder how long it'll be before we get Box Boosters for better loot - and a popup tip advertizing it in the Store when we break something w/o one.

Not looking forward to the drama when a hugely valuable item (+4 to +5 upgrade tome or even a tier lower, or basically anything much more valuable than a mana pot) drops from one of these.

(Add +6 caster sticks to the list of things that will cause issues when they drop)
    Last edited by sirgog; 11-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Breakables were boring. There was little reason to bother with them in most quests, since you could earn XP more efficiently in many cases by ignoring them, and thus completing the quest faster.

Making them able to drop items appropriate to the quest CR will make them more relevant for some players.

TLDR version:
    More fun.
    Speaking of clicking on boxes, when are the various crafting systems up for review? ('Cmon, you knew it was coming, and it has been half a year since the ML calcs diverged as far as output goes, even if we discount the extra steps required.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Speaking of clicking on boxes, when are the various crafting systems up for review? ('Cmon, you knew it was coming, and it has been half a year since the ML calcs diverged as far as output goes, even if we discount the extra steps required.)
    I'm afraid I don't have any information regarding possible upcoming changes to Cannith Crafting- that's the domain of a different designer, the one who originally made the system and still works on it.
    It was recently updated with shards that can be put on a wider selection of items, though.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

I really think that breakables dropping like a random chest is just fine. I am sure, like it was pointed out, that the breakables won't be of the same level as a chest. So the chances of a breakable dropping a +3 tome are pretty low. I wonder if loot gems boost it.

Yes,my habit of picking everything up finally pays off.

I got a +1 orderly kama of smiting from Attack on Stormreach (elite).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Hrm... speaking of 'better drops from breakables'... Picture Portals level 20 (daddeh needs some more XP pots for when he hit's 20 again). Pulled 1 ML 20 item, and the actual kill-the-boss chests dropped an ML16, an ML17, and 2 ML18 ones. Too small a sample size to tell, but a humorous occurrence, at least.
    Last edited by Scraap; 11-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Before, only ice and Ogre-style urns could drop equipment. Ogre urns could only drop armor.

Now, all breakables can drop all kinds of items.

Yes.
    Does size matter?

"Well, whaddaya know - the second biggest barrel of explosives you've ever seen is here, too"

TLDR version:
    More fun.
    True statement, wouldn't turn around unless (like the crates in Cannith) I heard the 'thumpwump' from armor.

I think some kind of arcade style 'power-up' would be OK too, like a temporary stat boost, temporary run boost or temp hit points - you get the idea. Would prefer those to loot actually.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Not looking forward to the drama when a hugely valuable item (+4 to +5 upgrade tome or even a tier lower, or basically anything much more valuable than a mana pot) drops from one of these.

(Add +6 caster sticks to the list of things that will cause issues when they drop)
    This.

Let the game where we didn't have ninja-looting add ninja-looting for fun and excitement.

D'oh.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post

Agreed.
    Personally, I have this down as a bad idea. One of the attractions for me in ddo was the reserved loot model. Yet again the devs have decided to go away from something that works well for something that can cause player friction.

I like the change personally. I tend to skip breakables in nearly every quest when I am TRing, but now that there are goodies, I may go for ransack more often. Even if it's all junk I don't want, smashing things and having loot fall out is just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    I think some kind of arcade style 'power-up' would be OK too, like a temporary stat boost, temporary run boost or temp hit points - you get the idea. Would prefer those to loot actually.
    This would be interesting.

As for that matter would be random loot with a hard cap at level 26 (so none of the absolute top stuff can drop - no +6 caster sticks or +5 tomes or the like).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmor View Post
    Hmmm, someting not included in the release note, or at least I don't remember seeing it in there.

That being said, I guess Zergers wouldn't have even noticed!
    I zerg and on certain quests I smash breakables... you sir speak without knowing!
    Khyber: Pinel ip!140+ / Laerak 120 / Sibeli 80 / Kaeral 100 / Gilmara 60 - Crafter 150/145/145

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast