Community Member

Default Launcher update Error

Keep getting 'Could not patch file "dndclient.exe" . error 5:Access is denied.' after the launcher gives me the message that it needs to restart for updates.Tries restarting my computer and still the same thing.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Yeah, i'm getting the same thing. Started, updated the game (while i was off shopping), came back, logged on for a bit. /quit when i went to make dinner, signed back on... couldn't do it. Restart computer, signed on, no problem. /quit again for a couple of hours, tried to get back, couldn't do it. Restart, didn't work this time.

UPDATE: Repeatedly trying seems to have worked. Hope that gets resolved quickly...
    Last edited by LrdSlvrhnd; 11-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Community Member

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by marios555 View Post
    Keep getting 'Could not patch file "dndclient.exe" . error 5:Access is denied.' after the launcher gives me the message that it needs to restart for updates.Tries restarting my computer and still the same thing.
    I'm getting the *exact* same thing. I'm on Windows 7. I submitted a bug report, and was informed "We are referring you to Technical Support as we do not have any other reports or reproductions of your specific issue at this time."

I've tried about two dozen times with no luck.

Grrrrrr.
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

Community Member

Default Update fail or bug

I was playing just fine until the latest update my launcher stops at 'examine game data' then says its needs to restart because of updated launcher but it never starts just keeps repeating this message over and over. Please help!

Community Member

My patch ran fine -- but now the game itself won't run. "Can't open the files, this program will now exit."
    We have a multi-player household, this is happening on Windows and WINE (Ubuntu).

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

There's a recent thread (or two) in this forum with information for people using Wine....sorry I don't have the link(s) off the top of my head but it/they should be pretty easy to find.

Community Member

Angry Still not working - Does Turbine staff even read this?

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    I'm getting the *exact* same thing. I'm on Windows 7. I submitted a bug report, and was informed "We are referring you to Technical Support as we do not have any other reports or reproductions of your specific issue at this time."

I've tried about two dozen times with no luck.

Grrrrrr.
    Still not working despite dozens of retries and multiple reboots. I heard today's hotfix solved some patcher problems, but not mine.

Does anybody seriously believe that missing a release date by even a couple of weeks as anywhere near as damaging to Turbine's reputation as pushing this **** out on time is? Again?
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

Default totally broken

I try to log in after patch, patch updates.....hits "exmine game data" and stops.

message is "unable to decrypt and de-serialise the data downloaded from this server"

go to tech support page and follow all the instructions for fixing this.

which is removing 4 files from the ddo file on my machine

these files are "patches, raw, forwards, bindat"

Bindat doesn't exist on my list.

I delete the other 3 and restart.

As soon as the launcher appears , the 3 files re-appear. the download continues and then hits the same spot and I get the message again. or another concerning hash codes or a windows mssge saying turbine has stopped working

I try a clean re-boot, as recommended by the tech support page.

None of this works.

I uninstall and re-load the game from scratch.

as the game is installing. I get error messages which I have to hit "ignore" (not recomended) repeatedly in order to get it to install.

I try the launcher again.

back to square 1

no change. same errors.

8 hours wasted, and no progress, no game, no nothing.

I live in the uk so phoning tech support is difficult, and they are not open now until monday.

Great. thanks turbine.

Am somewhat stumped as to what to do, apart from find another game to play.
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

Community Member

What errors are you ignoring?

Have you scanned your hard drive for errors?

there were a number of errors, all (I think) being under error code 5

one was c: program files (x86)\TURBINE\DDO UNLIMITED\msvcp71.d11

Run full AVG scan and detected zero threats.
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)

Community Member

Default uiQQ

Uma-Qioxote

Let me explain what/why I am asking:

I read in your original message that you did a number of things recommended by the Technical Support pages and none of them seemed to work, so you then appeared to do a complete uninstall and a complete fresh install of the game and that didn't seem to help. Since there are several support pages and several steps, for the moment we'll just skip all the technical steps and focus on why the complete uninstall/reinstall didn't seem to work.

I assume you completely uninstalled the original copy of the game so no remains of previous game files existed when you did the reinstall, so let us assume your problem was not a failure to overwrite previous files, but some problem adding or installing the new files. I further assume you did this installation on an account with full administrator privileges.

The phrase "error code 5" is not descriptive enough to confirm this or to determine the exact nature of the error. Knowing the exact text of "error code 5" and whether this error was generated by the installer, the operating system or something else, would help nail down the precise problem.

There could be all sorts of things that could cause an error writing files to a disk, the first one that comes to mind, given that you have tried many other things, is an issue with the surface of the disk itself. That's why I asked if you had checked the disk for errors (usually available from the properties menu while looking at your C: drive in Windows.)

Knowing the exact text of the complete error message and which Windows Operating System you are using would help further determine the exact nature of the problem and the next step(s) to take.

Community Member

Red face 1 of 5 computers now working

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    Still not working despite dozens of retries and multiple reboots. I heard today's hotfix solved some patcher problems, but not mine.

Does anybody seriously believe that missing a release date by even a couple of weeks as anywhere near as damaging to Turbine's reputation as pushing this **** out on time is? Again?
    OK, I got my Windows7 laptop running DDO again. I was able to patch (but not run) on Ubuntu 12.04, so I patched, copied the entire patched game directory to a USB drive, copied it to the Windows7 computer, adjusted permissions to make it executable (because Windows7 will happily execute any virus from a CD or USB stick through auto-run or drive-by download from a web site, but if I manually and explicitly copy something to my hard drive it freaks out that it might be dangerous and silently locks it). I was then able to run the TurbineInvoker.exe from the new local copy.

In other news, while these tedious USB copies were running, I was able to get PerfectWorld installed so I can start earning ZEN prior to the NeverWinter release.

So I've burned about 16 hours working on this, and I've got only 1 out of 5 done. Granted much of the time was waiting for long running commands to finish, but still, it's 16 hours out of my play time, and a considerable annoyance to family members who also can't play if I don't have the systems up and running. And we can't play together, which is the biggest draw for DDO.

Problem finally solved.

It took a total wipe and restore back to factory settings.

Did the wipe, then disabled windows firewall, then installled game.

download went ok.

I set DDO to run as an administrator.

On the install there were 4 "hiccups" when the launcher stopped during the examine programs stage.

Each time I had to close the launcher (only possible via the task manager, un-responsive to closing it with the mouse), and re-start.

Each time the launcher got slightly further into the update before stalling (each time I got more and more nervous that even this wasn't going to work).

Finally after 4 re-starts I am back in the game.
    Load screens seem to be taking a bit longer but thats the only noticable difference.
    (Samuel L Jackson)

Community Member

Well I'm glad you're both back in the game - thanks for the update, and the details.

Had a scare myself yesterday when I bumped a USB drive during a copy, got a BSOD, and restarted to find my firewall service disabled (something that has happened in the past when my pc was infected.) I was just waiting to see what bad things were going to happen with my system.

I think PC's ought to come with stress medication.
    Last edited by My2Cents; 11-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Community Member

I've had a sporadic problem with the launcher ever since U16. When I looked up the error message, it said that I probably had insufficient authority. So I ran the program as Administrator and it works just fine.

The error message does keep popping up every couple of times, but running it under Administrator is working for me.

Community Member

Smile Thanks, My2Cents

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    Well I'm glad you're both back in the game - thanks for the update, and the details.
    Thanks, My2Cents, it's good to be back in.

And thanks for taking the time to offer advice (and sympathy, that helps too), +1 to you!

I don't know what caused it, the fact that it persisted through reboots indicates it wasn't an open file blocking it, maybe bad values in the regestry or an INI file, or maybe a stuck alterante stream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Al...eams_.28ADS.29). I didn't think to capture the corrupt directory for forensics. I can tell you I did try running under an administrator account, and I did reset folder permissions.

I also read elsewhere about an nVidia firewall that ran in addition to Windows firewall, but I learned of it after I got that computer running and I've moved on to the next broken one (Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit with nVidia cards and the proprietary driver won't update in the rootjail) so I'm not sure if I'm even running that application there. But I think that an unlikely culprit as I didn't have to change any firewall settings on the new copy.

We may never know what the root cause was, it's not like Turbine ever shares information like that, but it's great to know I can come to the forums and get aid from helpful and concerned community members. Happy adventuring to you!