Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

+3 Keen Rapier of Enfeebling, +3 Keen Rapier of Puncturing. Nice. Combined with my haste boost and 30 DEX, she's going to be a prickly little thing when she has to pull them out.

Next will be undead long swords. I'm really awful against skeletons and undead. My cleric hire usually does all the work and I know she's rolling her eyes at me.

as for the trinket you would add +10% melee alacrity which is always good. Feather Falling is another choice. Vampirism on your weapons does an amazingly good job on making you unkillable while sacrificing some stopping power. Pop a lifeshield of invulnerability on your armor and HP is contently returning to you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    as for the trinket you would add +10% melee alacrity which is always good. Feather Falling is another choice. Vampirism on your weapons does an amazingly good job on making you unkillable while sacrificing some stopping power. Pop a lifeshield of invulnerability on your armor and HP is contently returning to you.

I have Feather Falling Boots of Balance +10 - and that Balance on top my DEX comes in handy when I start getting bounced around. I rarely fall. I guess my Balance score would already be ridiculous even without it. Not sure what I would do with the free Boots spot besides Striding but I already have a +25% ring.

I'm basically throwing away my INT and CHA stats, so I suppose there's always room to shift everything and enhance my INT (for traps). But I'm actually liking this Heal boost from the Devotion trinket now. It's nice not taking a time out from the scrum, healing, and seeing a "+7" pop up. Now it's +15 to +20 nearly every time.

I was looking at Invulnerability. I'm a huge fan of Fearsome armor in normal fights. Nothing better than an enemy running away from my ranged character after hitting me. Maybe Fearsome Leather armor of Invulnerability? Jeez, my character's gonna be unstoppable for a while.

OK, so I'm really seeing the benefits of crafting now. - and it's fun.

Is there a way to use my DEX score on damage rolls with light weapons rather than STR? I have Weapon Finesse for the attack roll of course.

Community Member

I put the Secret Doors Detect on a pair of goggles actually rather than the trinket. All I lose is the trapblast +4 goggles that I've been using forever (that were great). Now that I have 1 level of Rogue I've found that I'm pretty much immune to every trap anyway. I just sit there in the purple energy fields and carry out my business with no problem.

Reflex save shards are easy to craft, have low potential, and go on any accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by baccaruda View Post
    Is there a way to use my DEX score on damage rolls with light weapons rather than STR? I have Weapon Finesse for the attack roll of course.
    Wiki to the rescue: List of weapons with unusual attack or damage mods.

Assuming TWF looks like envenomed blade, filthy kukri, midnight greetings, sky pirate's dagger, tiefling's assassin blade, and treason.

For your level range I'd say farm up some tiefling's assassin blades or midnight greetings until you can start working on envenomed blades.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Reflex save shards are easy to craft, have low potential, and go on any accessory.

Assuming TWF looks like envenomed blade, filthy kukri, midnight greetings, sky pirate's dagger, tiefling's assassin blade, and treason.

For your level range I'd say farm up some tiefling's assassin blades or midnight greetings until you can start working on envenomed blades.
    That Chieftain's Spear is a beast as well. I need to head back to Three Barrel Cove.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

I think my reflex save is something ridiculous like +23.

I picked up a craftable trinket about a month or so ago and still not used it yet. Only been playing for just under 6 months, so no expert.

This thread a found a while ago which Ive found useful when I started leveling my crafting. Once you can reach high enough level to craft flexible shards you then have many optionss, but its a long grind to get there.

Craftable Trinkets
    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=17

Crafting Recipies
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=318331

+3 Keen Rapier of Enfeebling, +3 Keen Rapier of Puncturing. Nice. Combined with my haste boost and 30 DEX, she's going to be a prickly little thing when she has to pull them out.

Next will be undead long swords. I'm really awful against skeletons and undead. My cleric hire usually does all the work and I know she's rolling her eyes at me.
    Consider blunt weapons for those skellies...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    Consider blunt weapons for those skellies...
    I will, although I'm not nearly as effective with non-finesse weapons. I'd have to use a light mace or something, which I don't get any bonuses for.

As a side note, these new rapiers make such short work of enemies now that I'm more apt to ditch the bow and charge in - and she's pretty darn effective with the bow. I'm creeping around using stealth and backstabs now. The only problem is that the thief doesn't mesh well with groups. They only want a thief as a trapper. No one ever slows down for even a second to let a thief be stealthy or a ranger draw and weaken with a bow. Everyone just charges in like mad barbarians.

Now to try to figure out a bow...
    Last edited by baccaruda; 11-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Community Member

I will, although I'm not nearly as effective with non-finesse weapons. I'd have to use a light mace or something, which I don't get any bonuses for.

As a side note, these new rapiers make such short work of enemies now that I'm more apt to ditch the bow and charge in - and she's pretty darn effective with the bow. I'm creeping around using stealth and backstabs now. The only problem is that the thief doesn't mesh well with groups. They only want a thief as a trapper. No one ever slows down for even a second to let a thief be stealthy or a ranger draw and weaken with a bow. Everyone just charges in like mad barbarians.

This is a problem you'll see forever. The only time most groups slow down to use strategy at all are fights that are known to be hard enough to risk a party wipe (usually raid bosses). Even then, most groups running those quests are filled with veteran players that all know the drill. Sadly you'll just need to develop a play style that accounts for this if you're going to avoid frustration. Even so, a rogue is very effective in groups, particularly assassin builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Inouk View Post
    This is a problem you'll see forever. The only time most groups slow down to use strategy at all are fights that are known to be hard enough to risk a party wipe (usually raid bosses). Even then, most groups running those quests are filled with veteran players that all know the drill. Sadly you'll just need to develop a play style that accounts for this if you're going to avoid frustration. Even so, a rogue is very effective in groups, particularly assassin builds.
    I mostly agree.

Consider Tempest PrEs. Use multishot for bursts. Improved shattermantle, destruction and cursespewing will be very supportive to a team later with ms.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member

Default Role

In groups, especially raids, consider the "role" your character plays. There are basically four roles in a standard group; tank, dps, healing, and support. The tank's role is to hold aggro. The dps peeps pour on the pain. The healers try to keep you alive. Everything else is support....traps,utility buffs,crowd control, etc. As a ranger/rogue hybrid you're prolly too squishy to be an effective tank. Your spells aren't enough to keep the party alive either. But you're the one who takes care of traps and can assist with dps when things get thick. Now, if that sorc or pally tries to open YOUR trap, then you've got a reason to laugh at them cuz they prolly opened it with their nose.
    Last edited by GallantKnight; 01-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.

What I'll do sometimes, especially if I know there are casters, is move ahead of the group while they are finishing up a fight, and sneak up behind a caster in the next group of mobs, and then assassinate them when the rest of the group comes into range.

Or, another thing to do is during an encounter, sneak past the main line of fighting - don't engage when everyone else does - and assassinate the caster in the back. Then go back to the main line and start doing your backstab damage.

Even as a trapper, staying in stealth to move ahead of the group and disable traps right under the nose of the mobs is another satisfying thing for a rogue to do. Not every quest is about kill counts.

Yeah, it's tough in a PUG. You'll eventually learn how to do this kind of stuff in most parties.

And every now and again when you get into a group that has to slow down because they learned their limitations early, then you can be the sneaky bugger you've always wanted to be.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

I didn't realize the expense when I started out on this.
    There was a saying on the old Everquest crafter forums:

Question: How do I make a small fortune with crafting?
    Answer: Start with a LARGE fortune.

This remains true in DDO. Fortunately, you can stockpile quite a bit of cash just doing deconstructions. I never vendor anything that can be deconned. I prefer the cash payout and the ingredients over what a vendor or broker would give me for garbage loot.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12