Community Member

Default Another "Which Class" thread

Hello folks,

I’ve been playing several different characters, trying to find what fits me best. I truly like to concept of a melee Favored Soul, but it does not really seems to “fit”. However, I’m only level 7 so I thought I would ask and maybe get some advice.

1) Search and spot: I’m a treasure hound; I love to find things and I can’t even search for hidden doors when I know I’m standing right in front of one. At level 10 I know I can get the spell “true seeing” and that could be a solution.

2) Armor and weapons: I’m not a real fan of S&B, although I know there is a time and a place. I’ve been playing my FS with THW and heavy armor; much better. But in a feat starved class, is this the best long term?

3) High level spells: Nope, not a problem having them, but the concept does not inspire me because I’m more of a melee guy. I know great spells will come in handy, so it’s not a negative.

What I like about FS:

1) The solo aspect: I’m just too busy in RL to be counted on in groups, so I will solo more than join a group.

2) Spells: heck, they do come in handy!

3) Not a “clicky” class: As a new player I like the idea FS are not too clicky. Maybe something you just get used to?

I’ve been playing a ranger/rogue, which is only level 5 or 6. I feel the FS seems a bit more solo-survivable. I’m also thinking of a monk/rogue concept, but I’ve not started one yet.

So, I know I just have a bunch of random thoughts, but I was wondering if someone had some ideas. Will the FS be a great option for me, or should I try other toons for now?

I guess it comes down to… I want a main character instead of making a bunch of level 4-5 toons. It’s time I press forward and see new things in game.

Thanks in advance!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kylric View Post
    Hello folks,

I’ve been playing several different characters, trying to find what fits me best. I truly like to concept of a melee Favored Soul, but it does not really seems to “fit”. However, I’m only level 7 so I thought I would ask and maybe get some advice.

1) Search and spot: I’m a treasure hound; I love to find things and I can’t even search for hidden doors when I know I’m standing right in front of one. At level 10 I know I can get the spell “true seeing” and that could be a solution.

2) Armor and weapons: I’m not a real fan of S&B, although I know there is a time and a place. I’ve been playing my FS with THW and heavy armor; much better. But in a feat starved class, is this the best long term?

3) High level spells: Nope, not a problem having them, but the concept does not inspire me because I’m more of a melee guy. I know great spells will come in handy, so it’s not a negative.

What I like about FS:

1) The solo aspect: I’m just too busy in RL to be counted on in groups, so I will solo more than join a group.

2) Spells: heck, they do come in handy!

3) Not a “clicky” class: As a new player I like the idea FS are not too clicky. Maybe something you just get used to?

I’ve been playing a ranger/rogue, which is only level 5 or 6. I feel the FS seems a bit more solo-survivable. I’m also thinking of a monk/rogue concept, but I’ve not started one yet.

So, I know I just have a bunch of random thoughts, but I was wondering if someone had some ideas. Will the FS be a great option for me, or should I try other toons for now?

I guess it comes down to… I want a main character instead of making a bunch of level 4-5 toons. It’s time I press forward and see new things in game.

Thanks in advance!
    Well, I haven't played a FvS, but there are a bunch (this life or past life) in my guild. One of my guildies basically said it seemed to him like FvS was a bit gimped until level 12 then.... AWESOME!

As for finding secret doors, have someone craft you a pair of "detect secret doors" goggles. Useable at level1, no clicky, they just work 24/7 and auto-detect secret doors. I used them on my TR until I could wear my GS googles, then I crafted a true sight trinket for when I need it.

As for fighting style, THF is maybe the least feat intensive, so I'd stick with it. Your ranger will be very solo playable once you get healing spells (8th level ranger) and evasion (9th level ranger if you don't already have from 2 rogue). They require a touch more finesse, knowing when and how to use many shot to thin a crowd before switching to melee, etc, but very playable solo if built for it. Still, the FvS will likely be more powerful for soloing, especially on a 1st life toon.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default fvs

What are your starting stats & race of your FVS? Also, what feats have you taken so far?
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

The strength of melee FVS is that they are very survivable melee toons that can solo all of the content I think can be reasonably soloed. Unfortunately, they got severely nerfed in groups by the spellpower changes. In the past, you would generally run a straight melee gearset with some clickies and you would max your healing capabilities with some ardor clickies. That's not possible now, so you need to compromise some of your melee gear to get at least a devotion item in play.

1. As mentioned before, get a detect secret doors item. I use clickies, but I know where most of the doors are.

2. I'm not sure there really is a time and place for S&B on a melee FVS. If you're built as a melee build, you should be buffing and healing and not burning SP on offensive casting. Particularly as a soloist, you should have enough SP to get through most quests. Skip S&B and just beat the mobs down with your big two hander. You may want to take a two fighter splash to get heavy armor for free and two additional feats.

3. All FVS should be able to heal and either offensive cast or melee. By deciding to melee, you should be dumping WIS and maxing STR while maintaining enough CHA to cast level nine spells. You may have a situationally usefull blade barrier, but otherwises you get your offense from your blade. Choose your spells accordingly. IMO Heal takes priority over BB at level 12. At level 18, Mass Heal is more important than Implosion.

You might enjoy a Paladin/Rogue combo, based on what you listed. There's a 28-pt build one floating around somewhere that's a solid newbie build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    What are your starting stats & race of your FVS? Also, what feats have you taken so far?
    Right now I know I have a few mistakes on enhancements and maybe a couple of starting stats. I can't remember exactly, but I think I started something like Str - 16, Dex - 10, Con - 16, Wis - 10, Int - 10, Cha - 12. As stated, my numbers could be slightly off. I am half-elf with 32 point build.

And thanks for the advice and notes folks!
    Last edited by Kylric; 11-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Community Member

One question I should be asking is about spell selection. I wont be progressing too quickly (not much time to play) but what are some level 1-4 spells I should be getting for now?

again, thank you

FvS has two big advantages: self-healing and low-investment damage output with Divine Punishment (no save, no spell pen, synergy with your PrE).

If you are really not interested in spells, a Paladin would suit you better. Just as good (or better) self-healing, better saves, better melee, better PrE (for your desires). All you lose out on are offensive spell casting and group healing. They have a reputation of being clicky intensive but outside of Divine Might and Zeal the short term buffs they use are the same as the FvS (and FvS adds Divine Power to the mix), so you don't gain a heck of a lot there.

For you I would recommend a pure THF paladin, Hunter of the Dead prestige. If you're interested I can give you a more complete build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    FvS has two big advantages: self-healing and low-investment damage output with Divine Punishment (no save, no spell pen, synergy with your PrE).

If you are really not interested in spells, a Paladin would suit you better. Just as good (or better) self-healing, better saves, better melee, better PrE (for your desires). All you lose out on are offensive spell casting and group healing. They have a reputation of being clicky intensive but outside of Divine Might and Zeal the short term buffs they use are the same as the FvS (and FvS adds Divine Power to the mix), so you don't gain a heck of a lot there.

For you I would recommend a pure THF paladin, Hunter of the Dead prestige. If you're interested I can give you a more complete build.
    I would be very interested in that; I've been thinking I should look into Paladins. I don't mind spells, just just not a preference.

Like the others suggested, you can play a FVS with a detect secret door clickie, or you might want to try playing an artificer. They can self heal and is a bit overpowered compared to the other classes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilagan800 View Post
    Like the others suggested, you can play a FVS with a detect secret door clickie, or you might want to try playing an artificer. They can self heal and is a bit overpowered compared to the other classes.
    I thought about them, but I don't have it available yet and I'm concerned they wont be melee enough for me.

THF Pally

Stats (32 points)
    16 Str
    12 Dex
    14 Con
    14 Wis
    8 Int
    14 Cha

Feats
    1: THF and Toughness
    3: PA
    6: Maximize
    9: IC
    12: ITHF
    15: GTHF
    18: Cleave
    21: GCleave
    24: Overwhelming Critical

Another way you could go instead of going for OC is to look into Extend, Improved Sunder, other stuff.

Enhancements
    Divine Sacrifice (at least 1 and no real impetus to go higher, requires Extra Smite 2)
    Hunter of the Dead 3 (requires Extra Turning 3, Improved Turning 3, Extra Lay on Hands, and an advanced religion)
    Human Versatility (at least 1, if possible more)
    Human Improved Recovery (at least 1, if possible more)
    Paladin Devotion (at least 2, if possible more but low priority)
    Paladin Exalted Smite (at least 1, getting more requires expensive Extra Smite enhancements so very low priority)
    Paladin Redemption and Righteousness (each niche but useful)
    Leaves you some space for other stuff, nothing will matter that much. Divine Might is famous but it's just so slow to activate.