I've always liked dwarves. For me, it's always been Human, Dwarf and (w/ the coming of Eberron) WF and Shifters. I've played others in a variety of games, but keep going back to that core.
That's my instinct, which can be overwritten by brute force efficiency - so I roll things like Half Orcs.
Staring at the loading screen yesterday, it occurs to me the only dwarves I have are bank mules. I need to rectify that. DDO favors dwarves for tactics, axes (including d-axe whigh has a minor leaning towards use with shields or rune arms) and some AC boosts (increased dex, etc.) Hit me with some ideas - as I'd want to craft some GS, get some shield turn ins, etc. to prep for the next life.
What I'd prefer not
- I have lots of monks and monk types.
- Caster base - I'm leaning more towards hybrid casters these days
What I'd be leaning towards
- Something that has some amount of self healing
- Something that leverages either tactics or THF/cleaving/d-axe bonuses
This puts me on things like 18/2 Pally, Bard, Ranger ... but it seems like I can't get DPS, self healing AND tactics all in the same feat-space.
- A ranger 18/1/1 Exploiter would essentially be ... Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Power Attack, Improved Crit, Toughness, Tempest 3 feat, Quicken Spell ... how valuable is Tempest 3 compared to dropping to Tempest 2 and having a deeper split, fitting in Stunning Blow or other tactics? Any of you rangers really getting meaningful tactics DCs moderately easily? I suppose epic feats could help fill in the gaps.
- A pal 18/2 would lend itself to Defender and be ... PA, Cleave, Great Cleave, Toughness, Improved Crit, Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery, Quicken, Empower Healing ... I could potentially drop Toughness and fit in Sunder, maybe one other in Epic levels? Same question - how's the tactics looking for paladins these days?
Bard would probably rely on songs for CC and not tactics. Doable, but not ideal. Fighter would rock the tactics, but not have the self healing I want. I'm not inclined to push another "caster base but not really a caster" base, but could be convinced.