Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default XP per minute vrs enjoyment per hour playstyle

I'm one of the people who enjoy the latter.
    I just can't find the fun in xp per minute. The whole idea is to get to max xp asap.
    But doing so takes away all the actual enjoyment of getting the experience.
    For me, I don't really care how long a quest or a TR takes. I play to enjoy the whole game. Not just end game.
    I also like learning and experimenting with build abilities as they grow in level.
    Oh, I've run with some of the best zergers on Orien. But it's always the same story.
    zerg through with brute force or leading a couple dozen mobs behind you.
    do whatever needs doing to finish the quest asap. rinse and repeat over and over nonstop for hours.
    your lucky if you get a 3 minute break.
    There's no strategy involved. No time for preparations. No pause to try anything new.
    It's not D&D. it's mindless repetition.
    I'd rather not play that way. Nor is my mental stamina up to par.
    IMO the xp per minute grind is like working at a bottle capping assembly line.
    It's boring and monotonous.
    I've often heard this is a view contrary to popular opinion. That's fine.
    I'd rather play alone and enjoy it than run with a TR zerg group and be bored.
    10 lives and I've ran with someone else once in a 1-20 TR.
    My last life took 3 months and the only part I didn't enjoy was levels 15-18.
    The stage when most quests can't be soloed and your forced to pug.
    Gianthold, reavers, meridia.
    You really see the best and worst of players then. Keeping my cool when faced with pure idiocy can be frustrating.

Anyway. Nuff said. Just sharing my thoughts and experiences here.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

Krim,

I understand and agree with most of your post. I do like to zerg some, but I also like not to be rushed 100% of the time. I have found a good group that are mostly gimps like me... I know I slow them down some.

Trap,

~Icon~, ~Darkblight~, ~Blaklotus~, ~Trappedn~ and Trapnhaggle

I agree, spent my last few lives running with zergers. Really helped complete Lighthardtt, but not very fun.

Now I am soloing all content, stopping when a kid needs me or it's dinnertime. So much more enjoyment this life.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by M0NKEYB0Y View Post
    Krim,

I understand and agree with most of your post. I do like to zerg some, but I also like not to be rushed 100% of the time. I have found a good group that are mostly gimps like me... I know I slow them down some.

Trap,
    Your lucky! If I could find just 1-2 people who play like me I'd be a happy camper.
    Unfortunately all I've seen are the 2 extremes. Zergaholics or complete noobism.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    I agree, spent my last few lives running with zergers. Really helped complete Lighthardtt, but not very fun.

Now I am soloing all content, stopping when a kid needs me or it's dinnertime. So much more enjoyment this life.
    Indeed! Glad your enjoying yourself!
    Man... Nothing like being able to stop when you want to/need to.
    lol. yesterday I did elite chains of flame solo. Took me 2.5 hours.
    Not because of deaths or difficulty. I just wanted to stop a few times and enjoy life.
    I paused and watched a few videos. Had lunch. Spent a few minutes with my wife and spoke to a friend or 2 on the phone.
    I got the quest done and felt no pressure or rush. Just how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    Indeed! Glad your enjoying yourself!
    Man... Nothing like being able to stop when you want to/need to.
    lol. yesterday I did elite chains of flame solo. Took me 2.5 hours.
    Not because of deaths or difficulty. I just wanted to stop a few times and enjoy life.
    I paused and watched a few videos. Had lunch. Spent a few minutes with my wife and spoke to a friend or 2 on the phone.
    I got the quest done and felt no pressure or rush. Just how I like it.
    lol, so much better than yelling at my wife "three minute afk!" then pacing while it goes over three minutes. Knowing I'm irking my playmates... though after this long, they know that 3=5 and 5=15.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Your lucky! If I could find just 1-2 people who play like me I'd be a happy camper.
    Well here is one. So, happy camping I guess .
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    lol, so much better than yelling at my wife "three minute afk!" then pacing while it goes over three minutes. Knowing I'm irking my playmates... though after this long, they know that 3=5 and 5=15.
    LMBO! Same here! although my 3 is 15 and my 15 is tomorrow!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Well here is one. So, happy camping I guess .
    sweet! Hit me up anytime you see me and we're at comparable levels. I'd love the company from like minds.
    add krimsonrane krimsonrayne krimsonraine
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 11-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

If I TR Wanzer again I will. Else I got a stoned lvl. 16 Rog waiting. In any way ED grind gave me the plague. I prefer slow but steady leveling now.

Anyway, my TR-routine requires offical vomit-level 10 from endgame before each TR. At the moment I am at 9.
    Characters on Orien:

I sympathize and empathize.

DDO is pretty unique in that it's actually challenging. Build matters, gear matters,
    but player ability matters more by far. But the intersection of the three is
    particularly appealing to the power gamer. That's not a bad thing - a lot of the
    most useful and interesting discoveries made about the game have often come
    from a well-known list of hard core DDO elite, who have shared their insight with
    the community.

That doesn't mean you have to play at that level. Personally, I can't. It's just
    too much input, too much chaos. Prefer to play at my own pace. Figure things
    out. Learn the quest. Fail trying. Try again. Started out as a die-hard soloist.
    Worked up my own builds that I enjoy playing solo. Still enjoy that. But like you,
    was hoping to find others that played "at my level".

Joined a large, casual guild, but continued to mostly solo. Over time, connected
    with some guildies who were also interested in slowing the pace. Created a static
    group. We play together certain nights - higher difficulties, but not necessarily
    faster pace. Everyone's on a first-name basis. Some are friends IRL. We joke
    over chat, generally have a good time. On non-static-group nights, I craft, solo,
    fool around with alt builds.

I'm not on Orien, so I can't suggest a guild, but find a large one that's not level 100.
    There are folks out there who just want to quest and have some fun. I hope you
    find some.

Community Member

If I TR Wanzer again I will. Else I got a stoned lvl. 16 Rog waiting. In any way ED grind gave me the plague. I prefer slow but steady leveling now.

Anyway, my TR-routine requires offical vomit-level 10 from endgame before each TR. At the moment I am at 9.
    I'll be 15 today. maybe you can bring the stoner out to play. if you can get him off the couch and take the cheez doodles out his hands.

Community Member

I usually don't run in TR groups (other than when Kale TRs with me) because the xp per minute grind wears on me (read drives me batty and its a short trip.) Sometimes I zerg and other days take my time. It can take me anwhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to complete a TR life on Southrn because I play what I feel like on a daily basis. In a week or so I'll start my 10th life..it will probably be a slow one catching runs with friends or pugs who happen to be at that level or soloing as needed/wanted.

For me, this isn't a race or a chemistry experiment where there is 'a way to do it right.' I run dungeons that have less xp per minute or are annoying. I go afk (while soloing) for half an hour while buffs or even pots wear down. Somedays I even work on other toons. I run toons with no rog or caster levels on a strictly TR life. ::gasp:: I like a feel for the class I'm playing.

Whenever I'm in an xp per min run or thinking about joining one, I remember something that was said to me a long time ago: "Does he have 10 years experience or 1 year experience 10 times?"
    Orien: Mammadrow, Southrn Comfort

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bibliomane View Post
    I usually don't run in TR groups (other than when Kale TRs with me) because the xp per minute grind wears on me (read drives me batty and its a short trip.) Sometimes I zerg and other days take my time. It can take me anwhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to complete a TR life on Southrn because I play what I feel like on a daily basis. In a week or so I'll start my 10th life..it will probably be a slow one catching runs with friends or pugs who happen to be at that level or soloing as needed/wanted.

For me, this isn't a race or a chemistry experiment where there is 'a way to do it right.' I run dungeons that have less xp per minute or are annoying. I go afk (while soloing) for half an hour while buffs or even pots wear down. Somedays I even work on other toons. I run toons with no rog or caster levels on a strictly TR life. ::gasp:: I like a feel for the class I'm playing.

Whenever I'm in an xp per min run or thinking about joining one, I remember something that was said to me a long time ago: "Does he have 10 years experience or 1 year experience 10 times?"
    Wow. I guess I'm not nearly as alone in my preference of playstyle as I thought. Sounds like me!

Well, I am going to get online in 4 hours. Wanted to craft greensteel weapons for Incanta before playing her further but got stuck by Demon Web and farming for the close to finished eSoS..... le sigh.

See you later maybe .
    Characters on Orien:

Community Member

Well, I am going to get online in 4 hours. Wanted to craft greensteel weapons for Incanta before playing her further but got stuck by Demon Web and farming for the close to finished eSoS..... le sigh.

See you later maybe .
    I'll be online

I also enjoy the flower sniffing from time to time. Too often though I just hate to be held up. I completely understand that this is a game, but does it ever bother you when your normal 10 minute drive to work takes 20 when someone is running late for the car pool, or you have to make a pit stop for this or that?

I have run every quest in this game zerg style and I have done them all slow style. The same references to the carpool. If it takes me 10 mins to solo a quest, I do get frustrated when it takes a group of 6 to do it in 20. Going slow can be nice at times, but I hate being held up.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I also enjoy the flower sniffing from time to time. Too often though I just hate to be held up. I completely understand that this is a game, but does it ever bother you when your normal 10 minute drive to work takes 20 when someone is running late for the car pool, or you have to make a pit stop for this or that?

I have run every quest in this game zerg style and I have done them all slow style. The same references to the carpool. If it takes me 10 mins to solo a quest, I do get frustrated when it takes a group of 6 to do it in 20. Going slow can be nice at times, but I hate being held up.
    Yeah I get you. Though I'm generally not watching the clock on quests unless I'm grinding 18-20 on my TR.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I don't mind the occasional zerge.

I do like XP.

But I'm here to have fun inside multiple dungeons.

not to rush/grind anything.... boooooriiiinnnng.

I hate to stand around though. But I'm easy going enough to be patient with other players. ( to a point anyway)

I've done most quests thousands of times. I've seen most of it. I can handle most of them at a fast pace and prefer that pace.

But I don't intentionally leave people behind. And do not intentionally try to rush to the end of the quest....
    ...I just want to keep the action flowing along...

The more fun the group is the more patient I am... or maybe I just don't notice cause they are fun people to talk with...

I do like to explore. I love the graphics.
    I haven't done everything yet... at least the higest lvl newest stuff.... still some places I could have fun exploring. (but the Harbor in not one of them.)

I like stealth and playing dirty tricks on monsters. So if you want to experiment with something (that I can take an active part in) I'm ok with that.

Variety is really the key for me.
    No desire to use the same "trick" every time to complete a quest.
    No desire to rush to the end.
    No desire to repeat right afterwards. (no farming for me)

But I don't want to stand around either. And I am good enough to do most dungeons at a brisk pace. Not to rush to the end, but to keep the high speed action going.
    Could care less if it takes a long time. (assuming I have the time anyway)

I'm here for the adventure.
    The XP and loot will come...
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 11-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    Unfortunately all I've seen are the 2 extremes. Zergaholics or complete noobism.
    you should run with a flowersniffer like me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast