Community Member

Default Help deciding a class

I left the game almost a year ago now -- recently returned, grabbed a month of ViP, snagged MOTU, and am trying to get back into it - just unsure on -what- I want to play, and reading the forums just makes the choices all the more plentiful.

So, hoping someone oculd give me some guidance. on which of the following would be most up my alley given what i'm looking for.

-----

What i'm a fan of:

Big weapons, i'd prefer whatever I run with THF -- Why? Asthetics. honestly, if I can't 'get into' the character, my attention is likely to be taken by the first shiny build I see; I don't like TWF, never have, all there is to it. Big sticks are cool too.

Usefulness to a party -- My first character was a rogue for this reason, also one of my favorites, being able to pop traps and open doors -- also the reason my clonk is my highest levelcharacter, I was capable enough on my on, but being able to toss heals off-hand made grouping feel less like.. face-zerging with friends.

Ability to solo: Groups aren't always available, and sitting around twiddling my thumbs looking for one? never a fun prospect -- That said, this is last for a reason, only being a so-so solo'r is an acceptable loss.

-----

What I'm not a fan of:

Horcs, WF -- Same as above, asthetics, i've tried several times, I just can't get my head into playing a gorilla or a robutt. personal preference.. but a big problem for me.

SIX TL's! +12 RING OF FLAMING AWESOME, +4 tomes! == This is less of " Not a Fan" and more "Not capable of." My highest character is an 11 clonk, what gear i've got is roughly based on that. I've done chrono plenty of times, about half of necro, some fens stuff. about it.

----

What i'm working with:

About fifty chrono runs later, i've got pretty much everything worth dropping from there. -- full abishai set, among other things

Some random fens pieces.

WF, Horc, Helf, Monk, FvS, Anything that comes with IP, 32 point builds. (or should, I seem to recall unlocking them, but I haven't had a chance to log in and try yet.)

Time, I don't have much, but.. well the game wouldn't be much fun if started with everything.. i am not beyond farming my way up.

----

What I'm looking at:

Thief-acrobat Rogue -- Big stick, whirlwind of pain, traps? Got em, Locks? psha what's a lock.

I hav eone, level 8, enjoyed it. dropped off because honestly, it felt weak, in groups I didn't seem to do much, I didn't have the gear to pick locks or disable traps on anything past normal; even with Nat Ganns, my damage seemed.. eh, to my spell-slinging counterparts, even when I could sneak attack

Likely just a gear issue, but still. I recall there was a guide for this kind of build -- seem sto have poofed, at least it's not within the past few pages on any of the forums. -- not even sure where to start, splash monk? i've seen some say 1 level of druid is a big boost because Shaleighleh or whatever.

------

18barb/2 rogue

Pick locks, disable traps, spam scrolls, hulk out and beat things to death with very large, very sharp sword

Honestly? i'm fine with it being simple, from what I understand barbs are among the best dps in the game, and i'm fine with taking that role, depending more on huge barb hp and cutting things down than tricksy tricks, and a decent pair of gloves/goggles to swap in when I need to get that door open, or break a trap.

Only problem? every thf build I see is horc or WF, which as I mentioned -- i've tried, and just.. literally before I get to level 6 am looking at other builds, silly as it is, asthetics are that much of a problem for me. As i'd rather not dedicate all of my time to a character that's just going to be flat out sub-par in comparison to the Horc raging beside me.. that presents an issue.

If anyone has any ideas here, i'd love to hear them.

-----

20 FvS ( http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=355757&page=2 specifically)

Looks like it's got everything I want, minus trapping/locking, but eh, some sacrifices have to be made) -- Big, shiny weapon, good solo capability (decent dps, from the looks of it), all the versatility/usefulness of tossing heals/buffs/divine spell casting

Problem is.. not sure how effective it would be without the gear he has or while leveling.. so any input here would also be appreciated.

---

as a TLDR; I am trying to find a build that fits :me: -- i'll probably TR out of it eventually and make my own build, but i'd rather make the initial climb to figuring out the game/farming gear as painless as possible -- I've given what i'm looking for, what I don't want, and what i've found that fits -- I am however completely open to suggestion, and.. am hoping someone can advise me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the.. long winded nubbish post.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

If you bought the MOTU special, then you have druids. If you do, then you might consider rolling one up to see how much you enjoy playing them.

You can play in animal form, substituting a "big paw" for a big stick or you can stay in your original form (human, ...) and swing one or two flaming scimitars (level 2 druid spell).

18 Cleric/ 2 Fighter? You can THF and heal at the same time. I think that meets all of the criteria of what you're wanting pretty well. Some form of bard also works, although I don't know how soloable you see a THF warchanter bard build.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Community Member

I think the options you have listed fit the bill nicely already.

Fvs is pretty darn fun, and fits your requirements pretty well, there are lots of good guides for this out there.

Have you thought of a rogue/fighter splashed Warchanter Bard? Pretty good at soloing between fascinate, self heals and buffs, able to open locks and disarm traps, can switch roles pretty easily between support healing and DPS, as well as throw a fascinate if the main CC'er is down. Swiss army knife toon.
    The build needs to be planned pretty well from the start so you qualify for the right things at the right level, but I have fun with mine, and her DPS is not shabby. (Mine is a TWF, but changing that to THF is no problem- I just had a bunch of one handers left over from her rogue life).
    If you're interested, I can mock up a THF version of my build for you.

Community Member

Default I wouldn't ignore human barbarian.

If "all the THF builds you are seeing" includes WF, they are seriously out of date (melee builds, FVS builds should work). Human THF barbarian should still be viable, that extra feat should go even longer with the expansion.

Taken from a "post U14 barbarian build" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Yhatsu View Post
    I did some calculations myself and if you drop the THF chain, you'll lose your third glancing blow which will decrease your damage with A LOT. So if you wanna take the overwhelming critical feat, you have to drop stunning blow and thoughness because otherwise it's not even worth it to take it.

Going with 2 fighter levels will give you 3 glancing blows as well, but it will give you less damage and effects on 'em which will decrease the damage again and it will be worse than a barbarian without the thoughness and stunning blow feat and with the overwhelming critical feat. Hell, it's even worse than a normal barbarian without the overwhelming critical feat.

Here some statistics that you got to think about:
    Amount per 4 attacks 0.75 0.5 0.75
    Damage 0.6 0.5 0.5
    Effects 0.2 0.17 0.15
    (first column is a normal barbarian, second is a barbarian with overwhelming and the third is a 18/2)

If you wanna do decent damage and an insane amount of HP (talking about 1250HP raged):
    1 - THF
    3 - Power Attack
    6 - Cleave
    9 - Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    12 - iTHF
    15 - gTHF
    18 - Thoughness
    21 - Epic Thoughness
    24 - Stunning Blow

If you wanna do insane damage with a decent amount of HP (talking about 1050HP raged):
    1 - THF Stunning blow would go well here
    3 - Power Attack
    6 - Cleave
    9 - Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    12 - iTHF
    15 - Weapon focus: Slashing Weapons
    18 - Greater Cleave
    21 - Overwhelming Critical: Slashing Weapons
    24 - gTHF
    Remember you get an extra feat and healing amp, so consider adding stunning blow (or possibly toughness/epic toughness*) to the start of the second list and running with it. Do a bit more research, as I suspect that you only want a CON of 18 if you are going for epic toughness (no idea what to add to the first list).

Skills: intimidate, jump, spot, balance (and probably the traditional single point in tumble)

* I'm assuming that epic toughness frees up 6 AP, but requires fiddling with the feat list to take it at 21 or 24. Probably by taking weapon focus as a human bonus feat.

Overwhelming Critical no longer requires Weapon Focus, so you can add another feat to list as well.
    Honkin * Diaari * Bazongas

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    If "all the THF builds you are seeing" includes WF, they are seriously out of date (melee builds, FVS builds should work). Human THF barbarian should still be viable, that extra feat should go even longer with the expansion.

Taken from a "post U14 barbarian build" thread:

Remember you get an extra feat and healing amp, so consider adding stunning blow (or possibly toughness/epic toughness*) to the start of the second list and running with it. Do a bit more research, as I suspect that you only want a CON of 18 if you are going for epic toughness (no idea what to add to the first list).

Skills: intimidate, jump, spot, balance (and probably the traditional single point in tumble)

* I'm assuming that epic toughness frees up 6 AP, but requires fiddling with the feat list to take it at 21 or 24. Probably by taking weapon focus as a human bonus feat.
    Now, that, I will say -- is wonderful, now the question is how much oomph would 1 or 2 rogue take from that build. err.. lemme just do it this way.

As an update to the thread

I got time to sit down and play -- those FvS builds are for TR's, and all in all FvS just doesn't.. feel right, hard to explain, it feels more like it's just a dash of everything.. anyhow, not for me, full stop. -- Ran Dirty laundry with it, then tried a novasoul, turns out novasoul, by base, doesn't have enough cha to cast level 1 spells while at level 4 without a tome, wups. -- either way, caster aren't my thing.

Then I tried a Pally/rogue build -- It was nice, felt good -- same mission, cleared though mobs -- but it was made more for "pally, BUT WITH EVASION!", and topping it off, I played like a barbarian, all the pally stuff was just cake, I just ran in and stabbed things -- moreover, I ran across a room with traps, and couldn't do anything about it.. and it bothered me, I missed the ability to trapmonkey down a trap.

So I went to my thief acrobat. I am enjoying it, but it feels like it did back in the day.. wrong, like it's completely defined by it's trapmonkey capability -- at 9, it has less hp, and outside of sneak attacks, does less damage than my level 4 pally off the boat with nothing but starter gear -- and the rogue is in abishai stuff with nat gann's staff.

I respecced her before checking this thread, and was going to look for a more.. viable build.

---------------

However, Barb (or monk, considering) is better, honestly, it is, I am entirely positive I would enjoy beating things to death with an ESOS or whathave you ten times more than trying to make a stealthy rogue work.

So now at least, I have settled -- I want something that is..

respectable (doesn't have to be tier 1!.. but high enough that if a raid takes me as dps, i'm not dissapointing), moderately soloable (I don't need to solo EE, if I can run heroic hard without issue, i'm ok with that -- really, I just like being able to putz around in quests while there are no groups without feeling like i'm slamming my head against a wall.)
    Rogue-capable, that is, with the proper swaps and handy-dandy pocket items, capable of handling most lock/trap monkey duties, if evasion fits in, then double win.

and now I get to hunt and build.. any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Ok so you want:

1 Twohanded fighting
    2 Trap skills
    3 Soloability

But not a thief acrobat...

I recommend a Bard/Rogue (18/2) warchanter build or a Rogue/Fighter assassin (19/1) build.

i would highly recommend 17druid/2rog/1whatever. my build has all you want, bigsticks,heals,trapskills,and alot of selfbuffing and offensive spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by storherlig View Post
    i would highly recommend 17druid/2rog/1whatever. my build has all you want, bigsticks,heals,trapskills,and alot of selfbuffing and offensive spells.
    I'd considered it, a lot actually, running with a lot of grous lately that have no healers, makes me want to try and do a "omni-group" build, traps, locks, heals, hell i'd even take caster pewpew for dps if it helped..

Problem is.. druids are so skill point starved -- so are FvS (the other class I tried to make a build with) -- I couldn;t quite seem to get the points to go far enough. (need search, disable, and open locks -- that's 6 points a level flat, and that's not counting the fact that UMD is god or spot is needed until you can memorize the location of traps.)

So if i understand correctly your want a halfling rogue with an esos?

I'm thinking an idea for you might be to look up the axesinger build and then tweak it to your purposes. It was one of the earlier builds I used and fits your bill and its new player friendly (28 pts). I'm at work (and clearly working) so I can't tweak it in detail without my character planner.

My general thoughts for revising that build to what you want:
    1) Reduce your dex, switch out the twf feats for thf, increase the con and int a little.
    2) This might give you something like a 16/10/16/10/8/13 stat split.
    3) The original build neglected trap skills but now you have enough int to focus in trap skills (neglecting spot) and also have enough for umd.
    4) For feats, I'd suggest swapping out the extend and weapon focus for cleave and great cleave (you'd have to move around power attack to do that). With those changes, you'd be able to take overwhelming critical at 21, assuming you took a +2 str tome if you got up to 1750 favor (or just bought one by that point on the AH).
    5) The feat change switches the build from a warchanter to a virtuoso (not too sure, havent worked out the enhancements in my mind but I think its likely doable). The trade-off gain is a nice healing song for your soloing focus and a good irresistable dance song to toss in some CC at critical points, but at the loss of some juicy warchanter stuff, I think you can live with that.
    6) The build is a 15/3/2 Bard/Rog/Ftr, but you may want to look at tweaking it to be a 16/2/2, both are viable with different benefits.

This should be easy enough to gear and gets better over time with better gear. You're rocking a greataxe (carnifex at low levels if you can manage it), dont really need much in the way of stat gear to pump DCs or anything. The only thing you'd really be wanting by mid-point (6ish onwards) is some trap gear.

*I realize now you might have access to 32 pt builds which means you could easily bump up the str by 1 or get more int or cha or dex, making the build a little easier to work out.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubil View Post
    20 FvS ( http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=355757&page=2 specifically)

Looks like it's got everything I want, minus trapping/locking, but eh, some sacrifices have to be made) -- Big, shiny weapon, good solo capability (decent dps, from the looks of it), all the versatility/usefulness of tossing heals/buffs/divine spell casting

Problem is.. not sure how effective it would be without the gear he has or while leveling.. so any input here would also be appreciated.
    Melee Favored Souls are awesome.

I actually like the build Carpone posted in there better than the one in the OP (though you'd want more gear to offset your lack of SP, especially if you're new to the class). I am currently leveling a half-orc 18 fvs/1 barb/1 fighter (currently 7 fvs/1 barb) based on the same principle (all out DPS favored soul), and it's a blast to play.

I used to play a WF melee pure fvs, and when u14 came out, I soloed all of the MoTU epics on EH with him, without being too heavy on gear (didn't have eSoS, no claw set, no shroud SP item, no torc, only half a shroud HP item and was wielding a lit II). Before, I could easily solo normal and hard quests, and also most elites with the help of blade barrier. The build you're looking at is easily superior to that WF one, so I'd imagine you wouldn't have trouble doing it.

Bottom line: it's an excellent solo build that does decent dips and can get into any raid group if you so wish. Acrobat rogue doesn't begin to compare with a fvs on soloing.
    Last edited by DarkForte; 11-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Since it seems you dont have gear and past lives, I recommend you the Human barbarian (good dps, heal amp, hp, dr). Or maybe a Human Kensai Fighter if want some more tactical combat, the problem with the meele Fvs (very good at low levels and great soloer) is that requires good gear to give decent dps at higher levels, and you will be used more as a healer on parties, and since you are more focused on meele combat could have some hard time healing raids or elites. ( but if you are fine healing parties it will be easier for you to get partys with the Fvs)

With the Barbarian Or the fighter you will be able to solo most of the quests on normal and even hard using a heal hire, and on raids like chrono you will be very welcome (yeah, byoh parties that dont allow hires will be a problem, but if you want both good dps and self heal probably a caster like a wf sorcerer would be the best option)

Oh forgot, also the pure monk (half elf, human, dwarf) (light if want more soloing ability) is a good option too for byoh partys with decent dps and stunning fists and wisdom based abilities. (just change thf weapon for handwraps)

If you consider casters and want trap skills, definitely the WIZOGUE wf or pm (wizard 18/rogue2) seems the best to cover all your demands (except thf)
    Last edited by boredman; 11-09-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Default lol

picky much?

You want a half-elf barbarian with ranger dillio (splash rogue for traps but requires more int)

gives you decent heals with the wands without sacrificing anything in offense

if you really want to do traps, then just play a rogue, splash paladin 2 for nice heals and toughness, as well as weapons, or if you want more skills, but not as a rogue, splash rogue into a ranger for greater offense while still having traps

if you want to stand toe to toe, then go with something that does not have traps, or splash rogue into fighter, or barbarian; you will be taking your armor off alot, though; heals are no big deal with potions or wands, depending on splash; and you have hirelings

you also need search, cause you cant disable what you cant find