Exclamation My constructive feedback on the new Store Heal Scrolls

Hi this is a post with some points I have thought about on my opinions, feedback, and future solutions about the new upcoming U16 heal scrolls to be sold in the DDO store. Well, here it is:

This post is not intended to be a rant, it is actually meant to be my honest feedback, thoughts, and solution to this addition.

First of all the pricing. Its way way WAY too much. No one in their right (or in this case, even wrong mind) is going to pay 175tp for 10x heal scrolls. I would be surprised if a single set of these scrolls sold after the update, unless it was a misclick of the buyer or misunderstanding of the item. If you were to keep these in the store (which I do not recommend). They would have to be cheaper on a magnitude of at least 5-10x.

Secondly the item does not really make much sense, as it is barely an upgrade to the already existing fairly inexpensive heal scrolls which can be and will continue to be used in mass quantities. This new item does not compete nor is it even a convenience to buy because people looking for convenience will not be looking for scrolls, but potions because everyone can use them.

I have noticed a trend of people wanting more self sufficient healing options though, so I think there is a solution out there that can adresss this issue by making people happy with an in game option, as well as making some money for Turbine.

Suggestion: Add in a different version of the Silverflame Healing Potion to the vendor for an even greater cost (around 600-800 plat each possibly?) that heals 100 hp (just like the lesser silver flame potion) except without the -10 stat / abilities. That way the more economic option still stays at using the old silver flame potions with the penalty while this version remains an option as well. I am sure if these potions existed, it would also be a huge plat sink and plat gain incentive (something the game really needs, as plat is really only ''used'' to buy scrolls). Also these items would be very easy to implement. Virtually all of the code for the already existing silver flame potions could be used, just take away the part that gives the stat/ability debuff ,rename them, and that's about it. If these potions make sense to be added to a different favor or reward tier then silver flame, that works too, as long as they exist.

Then because turbine has to monetize somehow through the store, put in the greater version of these potions that heal 250 hp (just like the greater silver flame healing potions) again without the -10 stat / ability penalty and without the movement speed penalty. (and not price them at something like 10 potions for 175 points, I would guess 100 potions would be a fair price @ around 175 points - if you want repeat customers for items like these [like you do with sp store pots] you do not want people feeling like they are getting scammed - you want them to feel like they are getting a good deal).

This gives everyone more options and still will make turbine decent money selling while addressing the issue.

I know people would rather not like the more powerful version of these in the store, but even having 100hp non penalty potions (that will and are affected by healing amp) opens up huge possibilities for new builds and addresses the issue while people who are willing to dump tons of money turbines way can have their fun too.

Sorry do not want to seem rude, just trying to help out with my honest feedback. Thanks anyone who reads this (if any).
    Last edited by Zonixx; 11-02-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typos
    If you are reading this, that probably means I am broadcasting live @ http://www.twitch.tv/ZonixxTV

Thumbs up

I like your idea it makes sense. I would much rather purchase an item such as that then the scrolls and i do believe they would sell much better in the DDO store

Mmmm, lets look at gameplay effects for relative value.

Store SP pots - Majors = 25TP for ~500 Spell points (roughly about 20% of a healthy Bar)

Current SF good pots = base of 250HP (but every melee I know has healing amp of some level and gets well over 300Hp/pot and thus somewhere between 33% and 50% of HP per quaff.

So to restore full red or blue bars takes 4 or 5 (or more) Major SP pots, while only 2 or 3 SF level pots.

So based on that somewhat simplistic look at things, IF they were to offer SF pots (without the negs attached) then the store cost should be on the same order as the Store SP pots to be fair about things. Your proposed pricing is off by an order of magnitude, especially for pots that much better than the SF ones.

They already sell Superior Healing Pots on the store at 15TP each that heal only 62-80 base points. So asking for FAR better pots (4X better base healing) on the store for a far lower price of 2TP/pot (rounded up) is not realistic at all.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

If there is one thing I have learned about the DDO Store, which I originally had doubts about, everything, and I do mean everything, in the DDO Store has a Buyer. As ridiculous or over-priced or unnecessary as it may seem, someone will buy it. They may not buy a lot, but it will sell.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

So you are suggesting to have potions that heal for 250 points with no penalties in the DDO store, and only have 100 points version ingame? Hell no..

Everything that is in the DDO store should be found ingame, at least everything that has a huge impact on the game.
    Heal scrolls healing for 150 or 110? No difference, it will carry no impact on the game.
    Potions healing for 250 instead of 100? No deal.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Zonixx View Post

Suggestion: Add in a different version of the Silverflame Healing Potion to the vendor for an even greater cost (around 600-800 plat each possibly?) that heals 100 hp (just like the lesser silver flame potion) except without the -10 stat / abilities. That way the more economic option still stays at using the old silver flame potions with the penalty while this version remains an option as well. I am sure if these potions existed, it would also be a huge plat sink and plat gain incentive (something the game really needs, as plat is really only ''used'' to buy scrolls). Also these items would be very easy to implement. Virtually all of the code for the already existing silver flame potions could be used, just take away the part that gives the stat/ability debuff ,rename them, and that's about it. If these potions make sense to be added to a different favor or reward tier then silver flame, that works too, as long as they exist.

Then because turbine has to monetize somehow through the store, put in the greater version of these potions that heal 250 hp (just like the greater silver flame healing potions) again without the -10 stat / ability penalty and without the movement speed penalty. (and not price them at something like 10 potions for 175 points, I would guess 100 potions would be a fair price @ around 175 points - if you want repeat customers for items like these [like you do with sp store pots] you do not want people feeling like they are getting scammed - you want them to feel like they are getting a good deal).

Sorry do not want to seem rude, just trying to help out with my honest feedback. Thanks anyone who reads this (if any).

+1 I like the ideas
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Not that I disagree with you, but, scrolls are fightus interruptus. You have to equip them. Pots can be chugged ad nauseam. I bet that's why Turbine went with scrolls, for balance.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by Symerith View Post
    So you are suggesting to have potions that heal for 250 points with no penalties in the DDO store, and only have 100 points version ingame? Hell no..

Everything that is in the DDO store should be found ingame, at least everything that has a huge impact on the game.
    Heal scrolls healing for 150 or 110? No difference, it will carry no impact on the game.
    Potions healing for 250 instead of 100? No deal.
    This.

What's next to be suggested, +6 tomes in the store? 38 point builds?

If you want a game like that, I suggest Zygna. And note the bad financial state they are in now.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    This.

What's next to be suggested, +6 tomes in the store? 38 point builds?

If you want a game like that, I suggest Zygna. And note the bad financial state they are in now.

and yet, in the back of you mind, you know where ddo is headed

Maybe my tinfoil hat is a little tight but this seems like a scary precursor to them removing heal scrolls from vendors....

Quote Originally Posted by Hikup View Post
    Maybe my tinfoil hat is a little tight but this seems like a scary precursor to them removing heal scrolls from vendors....
    that's cool with me, it'd be another thing pushing me towards quitting this game and going back to the real world.

Community Member

I've suggested this a dozen times, so /signed.

Edit: My suggestions, to be specific, are 1) a different tier of Silver Flame potions slightly under the old tier that require slightly less favor. Heal for 100, but cause -5 instead of -10. And sell both the old and new versions in the DDO store, the only difference is you don't need the Silver Flame favor (which used to SUCK to get, but now is doable).

Why? There are 2 important reasons. 1) Turbine already sells things you can get for favor in game. 2) The current system only benefits TRs and Vets, and punishes by proxy newbs and first lifes.

Anyway, my suggestion would not have Turbine pots be too much better, if better at all, than the in game version. And the pots would still have a penalty, just not as big of one.
    Last edited by countfitz; 11-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Some items in the DDO store are there simply for the
    "opsay I forgot to stock up"
    when grouping with friends/guildies/people you want to impress
    in a quest that it would be a lot of bother to recall out, restart, ect...

No. If anything, just sell the actual silver flame pots (identical to the favour ones) in there. Then, you could do SF favour or pony up cash. Putting better self-healing in the store pushes for balancing around that.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!