Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but as the owner of a 9 wiz/2 rogue myself I'm curious about the statement about needing a "fortification" item. I have seen those robes in the AH, but avoid them in favor of a higher AC robe instead. But are "we" saying here that a +0 robe of moderate fortification is better than a + 5 robe of anything else? It just seems to me that we'd get hit even more than we already do, thus practically negating the fortification argument.

Please advise. Thanks.
    Fortification item is needed to avoid enemy critical hits. Most often a single critical hit can one shot and kill you so at least 100% fortification is needed to be safe. At higher levels you will be needing 10-25% more exceptional fortification to avoid enemy rouge attacks, since they can minimize your fortification and can sneak attack or critical hit.

If you are in undead form (Zombie, Lich, Wraith, Vampire etc.) you automatically get 100% fortification (which stacks with all other types of fortifications), so if you are already wearing a light fortification item (25%) and in undead form you have a total fortification of 125% which will completely save you from enemy critical hits/sneak attacks no matter what level you are.

About the robe as I mentioned earlier, wizards/sorcerers will never be able to reach high enough AC without sacrificing their spell power (read: usefulness) to remain safe. So, if I am not a pale master I would get that +0 robe of moderate fortification than a +5 robe of anything else. However, if I am a pale master then +0 robe of moderate fortification will give me 175% fortification which is just too excessive as the highest I need is 125%. So I will rather equip my wizard with something else.

Damage mitigation comes in several shapes and forms:

Blur, Displacement, stoneskin are great ways to mitigate damage.

Jumping around as somebody else said (kiting) is also very important (and also not to lose facing in the middle of a casting).

Self healing for a wizard is a must. You can accomplish it mainly in 2 ways.

1. Palemaster and negative energy spells
    2. Wf and recon spells

AC 27 at your level is fine... dont dump it yet... but dont invest heavily on it either. Leveling up is what you must do...

as the guy above says: fortification is a must. Crits kill people! get as much fort as possible. Above level 12 you should have 100% or more fort

A very importnat thing is: you need to have hp. If your wizard has less than 12 con... reroll. do it now that you have just invested a few hours.

Wizards in ddo have 2 important stats: 1. Intelligence (must be completely maxxed out) 2. Con Must be as high as posible. Other stats are not as important (maybe str to avoid being enfeebled and defenseless).

And also... CC is amazing to avoid damage. you already have access to the best CC spell: Web! avoid fireballing the webbed enemies.

And last but not least: dead enemies dont do dps... kill them fast.
    Khyber: Pinel ip!140+ / Laerak 120 / Sibeli 80 / Kaeral 100 / Gilmara 60 - Crafter 150/145/145

Not trying to hijack, but as the owner of a 9 wiz/2 rogue myself I'm curious about the statement about needing a "fortification" item. I have seen those robes in the AH, but avoid them in favor of a higher AC robe instead. But are "we" saying here that a +0 robe of moderate fortification is better than a + 5 robe of anything else? It just seems to me that we'd get hit even more than we already do, thus practically negating the fortification argument.

Please advise. Thanks.
    You can also just cast the level one spell mage armor it is the equivalent of a plus 4 on your robe. Shield spell gives you another 4.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    You can also just cast the level one spell mage armor it is the equivalent of a plus 4 on your robe. Shield spell gives you another 4.
    Last time I cast both of these together my AC did not go up on the second spell. But that was several levels ago. Thanks, I will try this again.

Last time I cast both of these together my AC did not go up on the second spell. But that was several levels ago. Thanks, I will try this again.
    The shield spell won't stack with an actual shield, but otherwise should stack.

P.S. make sure you are casting shield and not nightshield. They are different spells, but both give immunity to magic missiles. Shield raises your ac, nightshield raise your saves. Whether or not nightshield's save bonus stacks with a resistance item, i have read that it both does and doesn't.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 10-30-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    The shield spell won't stack with an actual shield, but otherwise should stack.

P.S. make sure you are casting shield and not nightshield. They are different spells, but both give immunity to magic missiles. Shield raises your ac, nightshield raise your saves. Whether or not nightshield's save bonus stacks with a resistance item, i have read that it both does and doesn't.
    Perhaps I shouldn't mention it......

but there seems to be a "bug" right now with several "resistance" bonuses stacking for the Reflex save.

Things labeled as "resistance" should not stack with each other. (although I question whether certain things should be labeled as reistance bonus or somethong else)

but on my character sheet, I can clearly see my Ref save (but not For or Will save) go up when I cast certain spells.

I think this is new.
    But there has always been a weird stacking issue with certain items, like Protection from Evil I think.

Some times it shows up on your character sheet, sometimes you just have to pay attention to your combat log....

But at any rate, something that technically should not, do stack.... it seems anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Agreed on the Fortification opinions.

Once you start fighting ogres and giants and the like, you're going to really, really need that fortification item, preferably a Heavy Fortification item, because their critical hits can and will one-shot kill you. They'll still hurt when they hit you even if they don't crit, but at least the healer in the group (or you if you can self-heal) will have a chance to keep you alive.

As to the AC...honestly, I think that my level 20 Sorceror has a lower AC than you do. For us Kleenex wearers, it's all about mitigating damage through spells, buffs and the like. Blur, Displacement, Stoneskin and the like is our version of plate armor. For all I know, it might be possible to get an AC high enough on a cloth-wearing class (excluding Monk) for it to truly make a difference, but I'd think the tradeoffs to your damage and/or CC ability would be so great as to make the character either totally unplayable or at least totally unfun to play.

One tactic that I've not seen raised here as yet is called "turtleing". You grab a big, honking tower shield- highest defensive value you can for your level- and keep it in your backpack. Once you get Acid Rain and Wall of Fire, you will use that tower shield to hide behind once you've cast your persistent damage spells. No, you're not going to be proficient in using the tower shield and yes, you will take a hefty arcane failure chance if you attempt to cast while having it equipped- but you'll be casting >before< equipping the shield (just slot it on your hotbar). For even better results, hit >>shift<< in order to go into defensive mode while having the shield equipped. It really does work very well in the mid-level range.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Community Member

hey, thanks to all of you for your advice. Sorry for not replying earlier, but the hurricane knocked out my electricity and internet, and this is the first time I've had a chance to get to a location that still has internet (a public library a few towns over).

I'll read all this and put it to use once things get back to normal here. Thanks!

Community Member

One thing that will help avoid damage is to avoid aggro. I see so many casters take the first shot on a boss while the tank is still running in. Just because you can see it and hit it, doesn't mean you should. CC's should be the first shot you take. When the tank or armored classes are seen, then nuke. You all have seen the boss run right past the fighter to the back of the pack to crit the caster. Tactics are the best AC imho.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

just tossing this out there real quick: others have given some really good advice but also don't neglect HP. no, you'll not have HP to match a big beefy tank, but having a buffer of HP will help keep you alive. being in danger of dying in only 1/2 hits is risky, and less fun for you when you die.

recommendations: 1. don't dump con when you build. some will belabour the point and insist that you never go below 16 or something, but really as low as 12 or so is ok. 2. find and wear the highest + con item you can afford for your level. 3. find and wear 'false life' items... the higher the number of HP they give, the better. 4. find a 'toughness' item (Minos Legens, Thaarak Braclet, 'tough cloak'). 5. take the toughness FEAT. it looks rather unremarkable at first glance. 3 HP at first level and 1 more every level after, big whoop, but it also opens up racial toughness enhancements, so you get a potential total of a minimum of 43 HP extra with potentially more for certain races.

it's small numbers here and there, but they add up

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Most have already said what I would have, but I'll add the following:

DDO is great for letting you be in charge of dodging. In platform games you stand there and click. If you have AC the mob misses, if not it connects. DDO lets you actually move out of the way. Jump, swim, climb, tumble, etc. As a wizard make a few spells your friend, Haste, Jump, CC.

Haste: you move faster and it's tougher for mobs to hit what they cannot catch.
    Jump: Trust me, once you get the hang of jump, you'll be jumping every spell. You don't need to invest in the jump skill, the spell jump will do you fine for a beginner.

CC: while this isn't one spell but many, use Crowd Control as your AC. Web the mobs, Hold the Mobs, Dance the Mobs. Making the mobs not able to react is 100% AC.

DDO rocks that we have this flexibility.

Community Member

To add to previous posters' statements regarding hp:

As a new player, you want to push your hp as high as you can get it. Grab the highest +constitution item you can find, grab the best false life item you can find. If you find toughness (e.g. a toughness cloak), you might want to grab that too.

Your hp is your safety net, when you make a mistake.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    One tactic that I've not seen raised here as yet is called "turtleing". You grab a big, honking tower shield- highest defensive value you can for your level- and keep it in your backpack. Once you get Acid Rain and Wall of Fire, you will use that tower shield to hide behind once you've cast your persistent damage spells. No, you're not going to be proficient in using the tower shield and yes, you will take a hefty arcane failure chance if you attempt to cast while having it equipped- but you'll be casting >before< equipping the shield (just slot it on your hotbar). For even better results, hit >>shift<< in order to go into defensive mode while having the shield equipped. It really does work very well in the mid-level range.
    +5 mithral buckler ~ 0 arcane spell failure + decent blocking also try these two named items:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Skyvault_Shield ~ available from auction house
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Fanion ~ Necro 4 turn in {my level 23 sorcerer still carries this one}

Quote Originally Posted by syllph View Post
    most have already said what i would have, but i'll add the following:

Ddo is great for letting you be in charge of dodging. In platform games you stand there and click. If you have ac the mob misses, if not it connects. Ddo lets you actually move out of the way. Jump, swim, climb, tumble, etc. As a wizard make a few spells your friend, haste, jump, cc.

Haste: You move faster and it's tougher for mobs to hit what they cannot catch.
    Jump: Trust me, once you get the hang of jump, you'll be jumping every spell. You don't need to invest in the jump skill, the spell jump will do you fine for a beginner.

Cc: While this isn't one spell but many, use crowd control as your ac. Web the mobs, hold the mobs, dance the mobs. Making the mobs not able to react is 100% ac.

Ddo rocks that we have this flexibility.
    +1

By the way, heavy fort is expected of you by level 12ish...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by antakneeb View Post
    One thing that will help avoid damage is to avoid aggro. I see so many casters take the first shot on a boss while the tank is still running in. Just because you can see it and hit it, doesn't mean you should. CC's should be the first shot you take. When the tank or armored classes are seen, then nuke. You all have seen the boss run right past the fighter to the back of the pack to crit the caster. Tactics are the best AC imho.
    This! And almost anything mentioned in this thread. What do I want to add?

Play with the aggro. Move slowly and try to aggro 1 or 2 mobs (walking close while invis or shooting a barrel closeby) at a time. Run to choke points and web there (doors). Also, learn your opponent's weaknesses: a big strong mob might not be held in a web, but most likely won't have a high will save. And adapt your spells. You are a wizard/rogue, can't get more versatile.

I think the overall answer to your AC-question is: forget AC and focus on ways to avoid needing AC.

Quote Originally Posted by dterror View Post
    Tell that to all the skeletons, zombies, wraiths, etc and so on in the game
    There is a difference between "dead" and "undead" .......
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadyre View Post
    Ah geez, Hopefully those insta-death spells wizards get later on will make up the difference.
    THEY WILL!!! Concentrate on your necro DC and spell penetration(and hp/sp of course)
    Work is the curse of the drinking class.
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    **LEGION**
    Foxxom, Masrie, Eyetunes, Foxom, Focksom

Blur/Displacement + Cloud* + Incorporeal + Fortification + Stone skin + CC (Disco/Web/Inta Kill) + Constant moving= AC can be dumped at 12+'ish
    20% (or 50%) + 20% + 10% + (mostly) immune to critical + 10 DR + Most trash just never hits you + Moving out of enemies hit box = AC can be dumped

I forget how the to-hit check works Found a post "way back when" before the U15 AC overhaul so no clue if its still the same or not. But basically, from memory (so take with a grain of salt) it translate into godly. And for some reason I think I am missing another avoidance/miss chance in the formula.

Or another way
    NPC rolls
    5% miss chance -has to roll 2 or higher (This may be a 3 or higher with new AC system)
    20%/50% chance - Has to now check Blur/Displacement
    10% chance - Incorp. check
    20% - If inside cloud AND melee, check needs to be made.

Now he hits you....but...
    No longer in hit box (miss)**
    Failed save (CC, doesn't attack)**

Now he hits you (didn't move fast enough)...
    Crit negated (Fortification)
    10 damage reduced (10/dr)
    Take damage

~Heal~
    Hmmm...that was easy (relatively)
    NPC Dead

* = Just look in the spell description for 20% miss chance. Also remember it doesn't effect casters casting inside cloud or archers/range outside cloud
    ** = Been told/read this has been changed but I know melee miss me (although less frequently) if I am constantly moving, especially when I move towards the rear arc. Not so much when I jump/move backwards and stay within the frontal arc

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadyre View Post
    And if so, what do high level wizards use instead of AC?
    Barbarians.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast