Default Necropolis parts 2 & 3: soloable?

Pretty much like the title says the question is if the quests in the Necropolis 2 & 3 packs are soloable.

For "soloable" i mean if a character using 1 hireling, d-doors, limited mobility (no wing/abundant step/boots of propulsion) and whatever UMD can get can solo this quests.

I'm not looking for spoilers here.

Thanks everyone.

Community Member

Short answer is yes.

Long answer would involve some spoilers and if you are interested I could provide it.

There used to be a list somewhere of all the quests that were not soloable at all and the ones that
    needed at least 1 hireling to be soloed. There are surprisingly few of either. I will try and reproduce
    some off the top of my head.

Not soloable at all:
    Von 5, (need 2 people though it is very tricky without 3)
    Twilight forge (need 3 people for red)
    Abbot (1 other character to do tiles)

Need 1 hireling:
    Shadow lord (need one hireling for levers)
    shadow king (If it doesn't bug out you usually need at least 2 hirelings for levers if it does bug out don't need any)
    Forbidden tomb (need one hireling for levers and need to know trick)
    Xorian cipher (need 1 hireling for lever)
    GH tor (need 1 hireling for lever and to stand in square)
    ?Crucible (used to be soloable but I think the trick doesn't work anymore so need 1 hireling for valves)
    PoP (Used to be soloable and might still be but I haven't been able to execute the trick for some time so
    need 1 hireling for lever)
    Maze of madness (need 1 hireling for first lever)
    Fleshmaker (need 1 hireling for runes and it's pretty darn hard unless you have charm monster)
    Delera's part 2 (need 1 hireling for lever)

Can't remember any more. I think there were a couple though.
    Last edited by Rawel_San; 10-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Forgive me I can't remember what the actual names are for the necro II quests.
    Only 1 can't be soloed.
    Shadow swim easily solo
    Shadow traps soloable
    Shadow burn mummy with light at end , soloable
    Shadow crypt (this one I know the name of , a being a monk from before shintao and crafted wraps 9,001 runs)

That leaves the one that can't be soloed shortly inside there is a lever on a platform that opens a door down and in a d even with monk speed , full striders and over-level with abundant step you can't get to in time.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Forgive me I can't remember what the actual names are for the necro II quests.
    Only 1 can't be soloed.
    Shadow swim easily solo
    Shadow traps soloable
    Shadow burn mummy with light at end , soloable
    Shadow crypt (this one I know the name of , a being a monk from before shintao and crafted wraps 9,001 runs)

That leaves the one that can't be soloed shortly inside there is a lever on a platform that opens a door down and in a d even with monk speed , full striders and over-level with abundant step you can't get to in time.
    Think you mean Shadow Lord. It is soloable with a hireling. Not easy - pretty frustrating at times, even - but it is soloable. I did it last month.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKeypress View Post
    Think you mean Shadow Lord. It is soloable with a hireling. Not easy - pretty frustrating at times, even - but it is soloable. I did it last month.
    I've done it too, and that's pretty much going in blind having never done it before.

Wasn't easy and I recalled out a couple of times to get back to the beginning because I didn't have DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawel_San View Post
    Short answer is yes.

Long answer would involve some spoilers and if you are interested I could provide it.

There used to be a list somewhere of all the quests that were not soloable at all and the ones that
    needed at least 1 hireling to be soloed. There are surprisingly few of either. I will try and reproduce

Not soloable at all:
    Von 5, (need 2 people though it is very tricky without 3)
    Twilight forge (need 3 people for red)
    Abbot (1 other character to do tiles)

Need 1 hireling:
    Shadow lord (need one hireling for levers)
    shadow king (If it doesn't bug out you usually need at least 2 hirelings for levers if it does bug out don't need any)
    Forbidden tomb (need one hireling for levers and need to know trick)
    Xorian cipher (need 1 hireling for lever)
    GH tor (need 1 hireling for lever and to stand in square)
    ?Crucible (used to be soloable but I think the trick doesn't work anymore so need 1 hireling for valves)
    PoP (Used to be soloable and might still be but I haven't been able to execute the trick for some time so
    need 1 hireling for lever)
    Maze of madness (need 1 hireling for first lever)
    Fleshmaker (need 1 hireling for runes and it's pretty darn hard unless you have charm monster)
    Delera's part 2 (need 1 hireling for lever)

Can't remember any more. I think there were a couple though.
    * and in places where a hireling is needed for levers, an artificer or druid pet can do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKeypress View Post
    Shadow Lord is easy - just don't try to switch paths. First set of switches have the hire lock at downstairs lever - hit it once you are at the door - summon hire to you and keep moving through the quest - three other spots you will need to split with hire
    but they are really just park and hit lever when you go to the other lever (or go to door that opens). Shouldn't be too frustrating.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Community Member

I was coincidentally just soloing the Necropolis 2 quests for the first time. Bear in mind this is as a lvl 16, so things were... easier than they would be for someone more in the level range of the dungeons, but just looking at it from the perspective of whether it CAN be soloed or not with regards to dungeon mechanics, etc.:

Shadow Guard can be soloed, no hireling necessary.

Shadow Knight can be soloed, no hireling necessary.

Shadow King can be soloed, no hireling necessary UNLESS you want/need to weaken the end boss (supposedly requires two levers, I didn't do it. quest can certainly be completed without it, but I assume the boss is easier if you do.)

Shadow Lord CANNOT be done without a hireling or 2nd person (or pet?) because there are a number of places where two levers have to be pulled simultaneously. Other than that, it is on par with the others. (But you HAVE to have a 2nd body present for levers.)

(Also bear in mind that these are all "long" or "very long" dungeons with lots of undead, so plan accordingly. :-D )

Have not run Shadow Crypt yet (it's next), but everything I've read makes it sound like it CAN be soloed without a hireling.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amethandra View Post
    <snip>
    Shadow King can be soloed, no hireling necessary UNLESS you want/need to weaken the end boss (supposedly requires two levers, I didn't do it. quest can certainly be completed without it, but I assume the boss is easier if you do.)
    <snip>
    This is actually not quite right. The boss is supposed to be completely immune to damage if not weakened by the
    light at the end. It's just that the quest has been bugged forever and very often the boss can just be normally
    killed without any issues. On the other hand occasionally the quest does not bug out and he actually is
    invulnerable till you get him locked in in the cage.
    just my 2 copper,
    Rawel

Community Member

the quest has been bugged forever
    Ah. Well, thank goodness for bugs. Personally, I hope they never fix it then. Sounds like the 'right' way would just be annoying. :-P

Community Member

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=24

All of Necro 2 and 3 can be soloed with a single hireling or pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=24

All of Necro 2 and 3 can be soloed with a single hireling or pet.
    How do you solo 'Tomb of the Forbidden' in Necro 3? I have tried that with multiple hirelings and I have never been able to get them to clear the mobs after triggering the levers to open their side of the gate.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by DakotanSky View Post
    How do you solo 'Tomb of the Forbidden' in Necro 3? I have tried that with multiple hirelings and I have never been able to get them to clear the mobs after triggering the levers to open their side of the gate.
    After 5 minutes the gate to their side opens and you can clear it to open the main gate. That one is definitely faster if you can rope in a competent human.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    After 5 minutes the gate to their side opens and you can clear it to open the main gate. That one is definitely faster if you can rope in a competent human.
    Ah, so that is how it is done. Thank you very much for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotanSky View Post
    This is the official YouTube channel for MrCow.

Go to this site and search for “Tomb of the Forbidden”.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • NEW - Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for wildshape!
    • Redo the Favor rewards so there is a reason to do max favor again.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.
    • Task Lynnabel with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck.
    • Tiering the Runearms so that artificers aren’t screwed out of the advantages of Cannith Crafting in Epic levels on their signature item.
    • Finishing the enhancement tree passes (including racial PrE’s) before rolling out yet another DDOStore™ Enhancement Tree.