Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Two for the price of one

RIP Syvic and Shadelle. Two in one night. Ouch.

Only Grosag and Barttelby remain from our original group. Now supplemented by Lowlaburn the ranger, a new sorcerer, and a new rogue (whose names I can't recall at the moment).

Cool

It is Milajo, the elf rogue, but since I cant log into the forums, I am cancelling my massage therapy session...

Default Total Party Wipe

Milajo, Schmilajo either way she's dead as a doornail!

Say good bye to Grosag the Dwarven barb/cleric, Barttelby Brix the half-elven favored soul, Osoric the sorcerer, and Milajo the rogue. Four fifth level characters flushed down the toilet because we got too cocky in, dare I say it, Sharn Syndicate.

Only four of us showed tonight, and since Milajo was still a bit under geared for elite traps, we ran Bookbinder Rescue and Repossession on hard difficulty. We ran Come Out and Slay on elite and things were going well until the end when Osoric fell while Milajo and Barttelby went left to clear the catwalks. Not sure where Grosag was... perhaps going after Osoric.

Suddenly Milajo and Barttelby are taking a ton of fire damage and Barttelby tried jump casting backwards to escape and save his own skin while the caster and others were busy with Milajo, but he had Milajo targeted instead of himself and Barttelby fell unconscious at -6. Osoric and Grosag were still alive, and for the briefest moment Barttelby thought they might be able to heal him before he died, but that illusion was shattered with a firey kill shot from the no longer occupied caster.

Two 'dings' down, two to go. Suddenly Osoric was incapacitated and then Grosag was dead. Osoric died a second later when the Quickfoot Gang surrounded him and riverdanced him into the sweet hereafter. C'est la vie. Or la morte as the case may be.

Thoroughly disgusted, we all re-rolled and a new team was born: Heavy Metal Heroes!

Default Heavy Metal Heroes

Heavy Metal Heroes! Forged by the Lord of Blades himself, these four intrepid warforged crash landed in Korthos like a comet fallen from the heavens! Born of fire and fury, enshrouded in mystery, with white hot purpose driving them inexorably toward their doom, the Heavy Metal Heroes will take Stormreach by... er STORM! (Although frankly I'll be happy if we get past Sharn this time).

Who are these mysterious constructs? What are they capable of? Only the Lord of Blades knows for sure. They are:

Cantankyrous! Warforged fighter! Master of the great axe and whirling wood and metal maelstrom of death!

Falazure! Warforged sorcerer! His innate ability of the elements allow him to bend both lightning and cold to his do his will here on the prime material plane!

Desmorgue! Warforged sorcerer! Acid? Fire? You don't know the meaning of the words! But Desmorgue will teach you. Yes... yes he will. And when the lesson endeth, you will knoweth. Yes... yes you will.

Barttelby ReBrix! Warforged artificer! Fearless trapsmith and foolhardy tinkerer. The fire-touched bolts of his hand-crafted repeating crossbow (OK he really got it from Celimas) blaze a path of justice, illuminating even the darkest dungeon depths!

Fanfare aside, we started again at first level in snowy Korthos. In just a couple of hours we steamrolled all the quests on elite through Misery's Peak. The Korthos quests are just so pathetically easy on elite, the only challenge we faced was trying to find enough time to get a drink before the quests were over. Granted we are running WF, but without ship buffs or twinking, and using only found gear, elite was still a joke and we zerged it to get it over with. It will be nice to have the Korthos set for trapping, but it reminded me why I skipped Korthos the last time we re-formed. Starting ungeared first level characters in the harbor is a much better challenge.

We are now back up to level three and will start Kobold's New Ringleader and Water Works next week. We'll keep running elite until the traps prove problematic.

Default Level four... again!

Heavy Metal Heroes completed Kobold's New Ringleader and the Water Works chain on elite fairly smoothly. There was a fireball that damaged the entire group for a pucker factor five moment, and at another point Desmorgue was incapacitated and hit -3, but that was the only close call.

I think Barttelby only failed to disarm one trap, but then he was rolling 11s and above almost all night. He was also unable to find the poison trap box in part 3, but being as the entire party is Warforged, it wasn't a concern. Nor a surprise as Barttelby hasn't found any good trapping gear yet and is still using the Korthos set and was only level three.

After the Water Works chain the group advanced to level 4.

Default Shan down, Sharn to go...

We completed Shan-to-Kor on elite last night except for the last quest which we ran on hard. I think we had one incapacitation, and I thought Barttelby was surely dead as he played the starring role in "Grab that Warforged" as the elementals took turns crushing him until the rest of the group killed everything.

The reason we dropped down to hard on the last quest was my concern regarding Barttelby's ability to find and disarm traps. B still only has his Korthos set for traps and skill boosts, and that is it. Surprisingly I think he found every trap and was able to disarm them as well. I rolled a couple of threes, but luckily the traps didn't blow up.

Next week we take on Sharn again to see if we fare any better than last time (when we TPK'd).

Default Skipped Sharn and straight to Tangleroot

Down one player, we chose to run his second FAVORITE quest chain in honor of his absence: Tangleroot.

Cantankyrous - WF FTR 4

Falazure (sp?) - WF SOR 4

Barttelby - WF ART 4

Did a little exploring and a lot of hobgoblin slaying en route to completing the entire chain. We ran the first six parts on elite. Barttelby took level 5, and we completed the remainder of the chain on hard. There was one trap Bartt couldn't even see in part 6 or 7, and one trap he blew in part 3, but thanks to some tactics by the ever savvy Falazure we were able to complete without any deaths.

The sonic blast, web, grease spell combos really seemed to work well. Grease worked much better on the named ogres than I expected it would.

The most significant "OH NOOOO!" moment came when Barttelby had the brilliant idea to complete the earth elemental optional and we almost got curb stomped by three angry ellies. Barttelby didn't even get out of the water before he was earthgrabbed and crushed multiple times.

We were finally able to destroy the elementals from range. The near death encounter turned out to be worth it because Barttelby scored some +2 thieves tools which were a significant upgrade from the rusty picks and butter knife he's been using to MacGuyver his way through content so far.

At the end of the night the rest of the group was able to take 5th level.
    Last edited by Postumus; 05-30-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Default Redemption... sort of

Cantankyrous - WF FTR 5

Falazure - WF SOR 5

Barttelby - WF ART 5

Desmorgue - WF SOR 4

Team Heavy Metal hit its first real milestone today by completing the Sharn Syndicate chain on elite. Not a huge accomplishment, but noteworthy for this group of players as it felt like a bit of redemption since our previous group of characters suffered a TPK in Come Out and Slay.

Even though he still has no trap gear better than the Korthos Troubleshooter set, Barttelby successfully found and disarmed every trap in the Sharn chain (17 for 17?) using only his artificer skill boost and heroism. Looks like taking two ranks each of search and disable enhancements paid off.

We rode the dual sorcerer sonic blast machine to victory. The rapid fire sonic blasts combined with ranged repeater were devastating in the long hallways of Come Out and Slay to the point that by the time Cantankyrous was close enough to hit the enemy, he had nothing left to swing at but thin air. Barttelby kept trying to convince Cantankyrous that maybe a level or two in artificer wouldn't be such a bad career move... at least he'd get to join in the long ranged massacre. We were also smart enough (not like everybody says!) to actually use resist spells this time! Yeah that probably helped.

With the Sharn monkey off our backs and out of our docent holes, we all leveled and began Necro 1 on elite. We completed Tomb of the Crimson Heart with a bit of trepidation as no one wanted to run down the long lonely hallways to open levers (thank Stains the mechanical dog for finally earning his keep there). Barttelby was able to disarm the trap guarding the last rune to unlock the last chamber. There was also a pucker factor five moment when Desmorgue was reduced to 0 HP during the final showdown with Khnumhotep and yelled "I'm at ZERO! ZERO!" but Barttelby (and probably Falazure) quickly tossed a repair on her while helping Cantankyrous destroy the mummy once and for all.
    Last edited by Postumus; 06-06-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Default Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME??

Cantankyrous - WF FTR 6

Falazure - WF SOR 6

Barttelby - WF ART 6

Desmorgue - WF SOR 5

Team HEAVY METAL completed the Necropolis 1 flagging quests on elite, Desmorgue leveled to 6, then we completed the Bloody Crypt on elite.

There was a DHPFF (docent hole pucker factor five) moment in Bloody Crypt when the party took a fireball blast in its collective face that left everyone well scorched, and Desmorgue lying on the ground at -8 while the battle with wights raged around her. Barttelby was able to fire off a repair to get Des back to 4 HPs, but there were still plenty of wights in the area and I held my breath for a moment until Des was able to repair herself further.

I also lost a good 6-8 months off my life when either Desmorgue or Falazure (probably both) shot a firey blast at Barttelby while he was inching forward searching for traps in Sanguine Heart. Barttelby had some small measure of revenge when his dog, Stains, startled Falazure when it ran up behind him in Bloody Crypt.

The final fight was uneventful. Cantankyrous and the others kept Salasso and his minions busy while Barttelby loped past the coffins waiting for his spot check to go off. Barttelby found Salasso's hidden heart before the third skill boost went off and seconds later he was a column of screaming smoke.

Afterwards Cantankyrous, Falazure, and Barttelby leveled to 7.

Amazingly Barttelby was able to find and disable all the traps even though his best gear is still a set of +5 search goggles and the Korthos set. He has been maxing his search/disable enhancements, but it's nice to see that a first life trapper with **** gear still has a decent chance to find and disable elite traps at level if one maxes out the available enhancements.
    Last edited by Postumus; 06-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Default Next week off

Since Falazure won't be playing next week, lets skip next week and resume on 6/26.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Since Falazure won't be playing next week, lets skip next week and resume on 6/26.

Man, I was thinking this sounds like fun, and if your Wednesday night group is as fun as our Sunday night group.... So I started to roll up a level 7 warforged Rogue1/Fighter1/Arty5 in the character planner, thinking I'd see if you guys had room for another member.

Alas, I re-read the OP and 9PM central is 10PM my time, and I have to get up by 4:30AM so that wouldn't work. Drats! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Man, I was thinking this sounds like fun, and if your Wednesday night group is as fun as our Sunday night group.... So I started to roll up a level 7 warforged Rogue1/Fighter1/Arty5 in the character planner, thinking I'd see if you guys had room for another member.

Alas, I re-read the OP and 9PM central is 10PM my time, and I have to get up by 4:30AM so that wouldn't work. Drats! :/

Ah rats! Yeah I think you'd have a lot of fun with these knuckleheads.

Default We've got a piper doooon!

Team HEAVY METAL resumed operations yesterday with one member absent:

Cantankyrous - WF FTR 7 (absent)

Falazure - WF SOR 7

Barttelby - WF ART/ROG 6/1

Desmorgue - WF SOR 6

Without Cantankyrous, the three remaining members of HEAVY METAL ran Irestone and the Depths quests on elite. The dual sonic-blasting/ray of fire/niac's blasting sorcs flanking Barttelby's repeater mowed down everything at range and there were no close calls or near misses.

And then we ran Lair of Summoning. Desmorgue was just a few thousand xps from level, so we decided to get some House K favor and do a quick Lair of Summoning run on elite. Even though Bartellby was still using the Korthos set to disable traps, he was able to spot and disarm all of them. After disarming the final trap, Bartellby began banging his head against the stone walls within the lair.

"Whatcha doin?" asked Desmorgue.

"GGGAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!" Bartellby yelled, pausing from his self-abuse long enough to show the party a pair of gloves he'd found in his pack: +10 gloves of disable. The two sorcerers laughed at Bartellby and he felt foolish until the team entered the final summoning chamber. While Bartellby was trying to figure out a way to get his pet Stains to activate the runes surrounding the altar, Falazure began hopping back and forth setting huge jets of fire into the air. On his third attempt Falazure got some serious burns, and on his fourth attempt he was burned to crisp!

With Falazure's final sacrifice, the fire elemental and several mephits were immediately summoned into this plane and began harrowing the two survivors. Barttelby quickly summoned a flame turret to keep the mephits busy while firing his icy burst repeater at the elemental as it chased Desmorgue all around the chamber.

Eventually Desmorgue and Barttelby triumphed and sifted through Falazure's ashes looking for any magic items that might have survived his untimely, yet not completely unexpected demise. Then Barttelby scooped up Falazure into an old rusty helm and carried him out of the Lair of Summoning. Barttelby and Desmorgue concluded the evening by scattering Falazure's ashes from the bridge in House K while singing "Dust in the Wind."

It's been a few weeks since we've had a casualty, but for Falazure to go out in such an ignoble, pedestrian manner was a bit of a let down. Not quite the blaze of glory that forge legends. More of an afterthought along the lines of "oh yeah, and then there was that Falazure guy who killed himself activating the runes in Lair of Summoning, remember that?"

At least we had a good laugh. That's one thing I've learned about playing PD, you've got to have a good sense of humor about dying or you risk a severe stroke. RIP Falazure.

RIP Falazure's replacement, a druid who didn't even last one evening, met its end in our first attempt of Thrall of the Necromancer. Poor timing on the ice blast trap and that was all she wrote.

Barttelby wasn't able to find the trap boxes and the prospect of three-manning the rest of the quest just seemed too risky for him. Desmorgue was game to continue, but then Desmorgue is also on his fourth (fifth?) character, so he's hardly one I'm going to follow with reckless abandon (or cold, calculated abandon for that matter).
    Last edited by Postumus; 07-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Team HEAVY METAL finally completed the Delera's chain by finishing Thrall of the Necromancer on elite with:

Cantankyrous - WF FTR/ART 7/1

Barttelby - WF ART/ROG 6/2

Desmorgue - WF SOR 7

Hydraulix - WF ART/MON 5/2

We had to re-run part 3 to get Hydraulix caught up, then we completed Thrall of the Necromancer without much difficulty. Barttelby was able to get all of the traps. Afterwards we ran Caged Trolls and Church and the Cult on elite and Barttelby leveled to art/rog 7/2 and Desmorgue leveled to 8.

So far it has taken us four months and nine dead characters to get our group to this point. Including one TPK two months ago. One of these days I will tally up the total dead since we started the PD sessions last year.
    Last edited by Postumus; 07-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Default "Someone's gonna die tonight."

Some members of TEAM HEAVY METAL were a bit tardy tonight so

Cantankyrous - WF FTR/ART 7/1

and

Barttelby - WF ART/ROG 7/2

cruised around Searing Heights shooting Drow in a barrel until Desmorgue - WF SOR 8 and Hydraulix - WF ART/MON 6/2 arrived. After running of by herself toward a seemingly unguarded chest, Desmorgue nearly met her demise (IN AN EXPLORER AREA!) at the hands -er fangs of a rare wolf, dropping to -5 before anyone could get to her.

After that near death experience, we decided to run the Blood Tide chain. Bargain of Blood went very smoothly as we pew-pew-zapped the Blood Tide brigands from long range and used the (fire wall + (fire turret X 2)) formula to deal with any close encounters.

Desmorgue leveled to 9 before we began the Black Loch and then, for some unknown reason, slapped Fate in her face by loudly proclaiming "Someone is gonna die tonight." Though Barttelby is not superstitious by nature, but even he won't tempt Fate like that. Sure enough, that ill fated slap got Fate's attention, and soon Desmorgue was taking a trip to De Morgue after consuming a Deluxe Face-full-o-lightnin' Meal with a side of Acid Rain courtesy of Captain Necro. Barttelby almost went down next, but managed to evade the acid rain in time to retreat and self-heal while Cantankyrous, Hydraulix, and the dogbots finished off the necromancer.

Another one bites the dust.

Good times.
    Last edited by Postumus; 07-24-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Barttelby, Krueze (the replacement warforged made up of Desmorgue's remains and a dollop of go-go gadget grease from the Lord of Blades himself), and Hydraulix looked about the marketplace for their companion Cantankyrous, but he was nowhere to be found.

Still hot on the trail of the Blood Tide, the three adventurers undertook another House D mission for Galton duh Deneith and lead the vanguard on an assault on the Blood Tide's island fortress. After quaffing some potions of invisibility, the three Warforged floated silently along the currents until they came to rest beside one of the Blood Tide's main dreadnaughts.

Barttelby slipped aboard and planted a fire turret mid-deck as a diversion while Krueze picked off unsuspecting guards who wandered too near the shadows where he lay in wait. Then Barttelby and Hydraulix climbed up into the rigging and peppered the pirates from above as they scurried about in vain either trying to quench the fires of the magical turret setting their vessel aflame, or find the unseen attackers. The skirmish was over in moments and team HEAVY METAL commanded the now charred, albeit still seaworthy vessel.

From there, the stealthy Warforged reconnoitered the remainder of the island, disabling many ballistas and siege engines until they found the magic dimensional anchor preventing the rest of House Deneith's forces from teleporting directly to the island to Storm the Beaches. After a brief fight with trumped up Orc calling himself Captain Grimm, the heroes destroyed the dimensional anchor, looted what gold and magical items the pirates had amassed, and sounded the all clear for the remainder of Deneith's forces to clear the island.

Still up for adventure, yet not quite ready for a final showdown with the Blood Tide, team HEAVY METAL went on another mission of reconnaissance and sabotage for House P. Thurrani claim jumpers had invaded Gwylan's Stand, and House Phiarlan wanted them rooted out one way or another.

A pile of dissolving trolls, a couple of cords of dead elves, and a mountain of Mino-tartar later, the three Warforged had completed their mission and sabotaged all of the Thuranni the food stuffs and were back in House P for their rewards. Barttelby felt a twig of conscience and asked "Is poisoning the fleshies really the right thing to do?"

"Meh," said Hydraulix gruffly. "If they didn't want to get poisoned, they should have been Warforged."

"Can't argue with that logic." Said Barttelby with a shrug.

----------------------------

OOC: the team ran both quests on elite and really didn't have much difficulty with either of them. The most significant challenge of the evening was having to listen to Kreuze complain over and over about how boring it was to be a monk. I told him not to worry, with his track record he'll be re-rolling in another week or so anyway.

Default The Tally

For those of you scoring at home, here is the tally of players created, played, and lost to permanent deletion by the four remaining players of the Drawn By Fate Wednesday Night PD group. We weren't the only ones to participate over the past year (thanks to all those who did participate and play with us for as long as you were able), but we are definitely the only ones stubborn enough to keep re-rolling.

POSTUMUS

Flynte (H/E sorc L11) - RETIRED! After a horrible near party wipe he is now living comfortably studying books while awaiting the outcome of his application to The Twelve.

Barttelby Brix (Human FvS) - died horribly in a party wipe.

Barttelby Re-Brix (WF Art/Rog L9)

UNKNOWN SOLDIER

Syvic (H/O FTR) - died disgracefully from anaphylactic shock from a bee sting. Who knew Half-Orc's were allergic?

Osoric (something sorcerer) - died horribly in a party wipe

Cantankyrous (WF FTR/Art L8/1)

WARHULK

Grawlfang (H/O cleric) - lightning to the face and skeleton claws to the back during a near party wipe

Talllgeese (WF FvS) - stepped on a crack and broke his own back

Grosag (Dwarf Barb/Cleric) - accidentally hot-keyed 'aneurism' instead of 'rage'

Falazure (WF sorc) - "I can leap over that ice trap no probl... DING!"

DRUID (WF druid) - "I can activate that rune and leap away before the flame jet gets me no probl... DING!"

Hydraulix (WF art/monk L7/2)

THOOM

Shadelle (Halfling rogue) - "Watch me take down this ogre! DING!"

Dazani (Drow wiz) - lightning, skeletons, horrible gruesome death

Ophrea (Something druid) - choked on a hairball

Shadelle II (Halfling rogue) - "What's fortifica... DING!"

Milajo (Elf rogue) - "Traps are my specialty... DING!"

Desmorgue (WF sorc) - "Stand back! I'm gonna make this necromancer my bi...DING!"

Kreuze (Iconic WF monk/pal L8/1)
    Last edited by Postumus; 08-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Looks like Cantankyrous will not be able to make WED sessions anymore. I think we might put the PD group on hold for a while and focus on iconics and the new content.

What do you think about making Wednesday an Iconic characters only group and focus on the new content stuff and any old content we feel like playing?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast