Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wed Night Permadeath Group Sarlona

With a side of RP!

Drawn By Fate will be starting a new static group to play Wednesday nights at 9pm central/7pm pacific on the Sarlona server. Play duration will be 2-3 hours depending on how the group feels. This group will be a combination of permadeath and lite RP.

Currently we have the following roles filled:

Cleric
    Artificer
    Rogue
    Melee TBD
    Sorcerer

We are recruiting for the last open roster spot. This can be any race or class the player desires to play.

In addition to the Drawn By Fate guidelines, this particular static group will include:

1- No resurrection shrines.

Characters can only be resurrected in quest by spell, scroll, clicky, or special ability.

Characters that cannot be resurrected in quest are considered permanently dead and will need to be deleted (or at least removed from the static group). If a player loses a character to permanent death, he/she may roll a new character as a replacement.

2- Use only found loot except for consumables.

Players may purchase potions, scrolls, wands, arrows, spell components, etc some in game vendors, but may not purchase weapons or armor from pawn brokers and vendors, nor may they purchase items from the auction house. Purchases may only be made with money found in game or by money earned selling loot.

Cannith crafting is not allowed. Loot may be sold to brokers and on the AH. Collectibles may be redeemed for items. Surviving characters may loot any characters who suffer permanent death prior to their deletion or removal from the group.

3. No twinking.

Items, money, loot, collectibles, etc may not be passed or shared from alts to the Wed static group characters. Store items may not be purchased and used on Wed static characters with the exceptions of the Korthos starter rez cake or cosmetic items that do not offer any in game bonuses.

Any players interested in joining this group please reply to this thread or pm me.

Our style of play is lite RP, mostly in character while adventuring, we play at a speed and intensity comfortable for the entire group. We will probably be running most quests on hard and some on elite if the group is comfortable with it. We expect some deaths, so someone who can handle losing a character or two (or three) without a melt down is the type of personality we are looking for.

The rest of us have been playing together for almost two years, but we are an easy going bunch and always happy to add new players to our band of adventurers. New players are definitely welcome. Commitment to the playstyle, attendance, and fun are more important than experience.

Still looking for a sixth member of the group.

We will be starting with brand new, wet behind the ears L1 characters this Wednesday at 9pm central/7pm pacific.

If you are interested PM me or respond to the thread. If you have any questions, post them in the thread.

Are you still looking for that 6th? I'd be interested if you are, I am not all that experienced with RP in DDO, but I have done so in other games.

Would a Druid of some time work in your set up? I'm fairly flexible in what I can/will play, but tend to have the most fun on Druid type characters.

Are there any other rules other than the ones listed in this thread that we'll have to follow when rolling characters / Playing them?

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSkye View Post
    Are you still looking for that 6th? I'd be interested if you are, I am not all that experienced with RP in DDO, but I have done so in other games.

Would a Druid of some time work in your set up? I'm fairly flexible in what I can/will play, but tend to have the most fun on Druid type characters.

Are there any other rules other than the ones listed in this thread that we'll have to follow when rolling characters / Playing them?
    BrokenSkye,

Yes we are still looking for a sixth member for WED nights! A druid would be great! Any race is fine. Just roll up a first level druid, run through the tutorial, and have him/her waiting in snowy Korthos on Wednesday (post the character name here so I can sent you a guild invite).

If you have any experience in RP, which it appears that you do, then you should have no problem adapting to how we play. We all use voice in game. And while you aren't required to use the mic, you will need to be able to hear what the other group members say so you can respond in chat.

Most players take on some kind of persona or personality trait. That doesn't mean you have to be able to do funny voices or speak Elvish or anything (but you can if you want); it basically means you choose some key aspects of your character that you consistently try to use as steer your character's choices, responses, attitude, whatever.

We've had characters who were afraid of fire or spiders, drunkards, a highborn Drow who refused to pull levers and valves to avoid getting her hands dirty, a character who hated warforged, things like that. Generally picking one eccentric trait or guiding principal works well. Others seem to develop on their own during game play.

Some traits/eccentricities work better than others. Fear of fire actually worked out surprisingly well, but we've had players who were 'mute' and it is nearly impossible to communicate 'non-verbally' through text without writing a novel. We once had a ranger who refused to kill animals. It got to be difficult to work around since there are so many wolves, dogs, hyenas, etc in the game.

Regarding additional guild rules. See this post. Basically we don't want characters in the guild with contemporary non-fantasy/non-D&D related names. Just don't name your Druid "BronBronBear" or "Bieberbear97" and you'll be fine.

Updated Wed Night Roster:

Texvites - WF artificer
    Flynte - Half-elven Sorcerer
    TBD - Rogue
    TBD - Melee
    TBD - Cleric
    Inuria - Elven Druid

As soon as you roll your characters, post your names in the thread (or pm me) and run the tutorial. The goal is to have everyone waiting in Snowy Korthos on Wednesday night at 9pm Central/7 PM Pacific.
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post

Characters can only be resurrected in quest by spell, scroll, clicky, or special ability.

Characters that cannot be resurrected in quest are considered permanently dead and will need to be deleted (or at least removed from the static group). If a player loses a character to permanent death, he/she may roll a new character as a replacement.

snip

Items, money, loot, collectibles, etc may not be passed or shared from alts to the Wed static group characters. Store items may not be purchased and used on Wed static characters with the exceptions of the Korthos starter rez cake or cosmetic items that do not offer any in game bonuses.
    Does that mean you're allowing a use of the starter cake as a get out of jail free card?

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Does that mean you're allowing a use of the starter cake as a get out of jail free card?
    Yeah, we figured we'd let everyone use it as a 'mulligan' since this will be the first time most group members will face the possibility of permanent character death.

We'll also probably run most quests on hard since we are pretty used to cruising elite with our TR twinkies.

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Good to see your guild making another attempt at Permadeath play, congrats!

I am from PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallandra.

I suggest due to your guys experience as multi TR's type of players, that you truly challenge yourselves and give the rest of our permadeath community an idea of what can be accomplished, by incorporating a ruleset upon yourselves that has every restriction that Mortal Voyage has and add in Some The Core's ruleset to make it even harder, and at that point I wish you the best and may you reach 20th level very fast!!!!

Keep us all posted

The Narc
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Another thing that you guys may want to consider is that Wednesday night on Sarlona is "Guild Night" for the Extreme Explorers, the primary permadeath guild on Sarlona. If not enough people show up for your group, you may consider having alts in our guild so you can join us. Just a thought.

You can check out our rules at extremeexplorers.guildportal.com

Inuria Lu'riel has survived the Airship wreck, and is trying to stay warm in the snow. [Elf Druid, is what I decided on]

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSkye View Post
    Inuria Lu'riel has survived the Airship wreck, and is trying to stay warm in the snow. [Elf Druid, is what I decided on]
    Nice! Looking forward to meeting you in game on Wednesday night!
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Default Updated Roster

Updated Wed Night Roster:

Texvites - WF artificer
    Flynte - Half-elven Sorcerer
    Shadelle - Halfling Rogue
    Temudgin - Human(?) Paladin
    Grawlfang - Half-orc (?) Cleric
    Inuria - Elven Druid

It appears we are all ready to go and we will all be in the Wavecrest Tavern in Snowy Korthos (Sarlona server) at 9pm CST/7pm Pacific.

I look forward to meeting you all there.

Default Backgrounds

Below I have posted some links to tools which might help players flesh out their characters if they are struggling to come up with something for their background/personality.

Take a look at the lists of character flaws, traits, and backgrounds to get ideas for your own character. You don't have to use any of the traits/flaws/backgrounds listed, but you can select one of each if you choose to.

If you have trouble choosing a trait, feel free to roll for one from the character traits table and see what you get (roll as many times as you like until you find something you think will be fun to play).

D20 Character Traits

100 random character traits (robot viking)

D20 Character Flaws

D20 Character Backgrounds

Once you have a basic idea of your character, please go ahead an post a brief outline (two-three sentences) describing your character. You can do this any time after our first session.
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-31-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Flynte SparkStriker is a half-elven hayseed with an innate ability to perform magic. After accidentally setting fire to the neighboring farmer's grain silo (as well as singeing his daughter), Flynte decided to take the irate farmer up on his proposition to 'get out of here before I kick your skinny ginger butt to Khyber!'

While Flynte is illiterate and naive of the ways of the world, his sincerity and positive outlook on life (that borders on the delusional) enables him to make friends easily. This, combined with some measure of charm and natural charisma helped him do well enough as a street performer and traveling sideshow act to earn enough coin to afford passage on an airship bound for Stormreach.

While the airship met with a less than desirable fate, Flynte's perspective is that the situation was far from a tragedy. Since the crash he has met some 'really neat' friends like Celimas and Jeets (to whom he still owes 15 gold from losing at 3 card monte - it seemed so easy at first!!), and he was thrilled to encounter his first ever warforged, Talbron Tewn.

Flynte bid a tearful farewell to the three heroes after aiding them in their glorious victory against the evil Sahaugin priestess. He now sits inside the Wavecrest tavern in his new robes smiling and waving at all the adventurers who pass through. If he's patient, maybe he'll meet another group of heroes who wouldn't mind if he tagged along. He's even willing to carry the baggage...
    Last edited by Postumus; 10-31-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Hailing from the thick forests, all her life all she has known has been her family - exposure to other elves, and especially - to the other races has been limited, and strained at best. Most of this interaction has been her or her family healing wounded passer-by's that had bitten off a bit more than they could chew in their forest. Sometimes the passer-bys would be friendly and some other would steal anything that wasn't bolted down as they were leaving. This limited exposure to the other races has left Inuria a little wary of the other races, with the exception of Warforged oddly enough. Having been saved by a Warforged early in her life - which was subsequently the only Warforged she'd met before getting shipwrecked on Korthos.

Having been "Saved" by the rogue Jeets and company, while distru****l of the rogue, she had been more than happy to get away from the ship wreck. Wanting to get away from it enough, she was more than willing to agree with anything the rogue said and even deny her suspicions of him looting corpses.

She sits in the tavern idly watching the people coming and going from the farthest corner from the door she could find. Maybe she'll find a group to help get off this frozen island, the cold certainly isn't endearing her to this island...

Default Temudgin the Cremudgin!

Temudgin is a Valenar Elf and follower of the Undying Court.

Although he is a picture of bravery; he is the anti-thesis of encouragement.
    He spends most of his time prophesying doom and preparing for the worst that could happen.
    Farm astral diamonds in game. I've been playing for only a year + a bit but I already have 2 astral diamonds. 3 more and I'll be able to do something with them.

Shadelle the halfling rogue is a super hyper thrillseeker bent on big adventure. Surrounded by all the giants, she tries twice as hard to be noticed and to find her place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddrow View Post
    Temudgin is a Valenar Elf and follower of the Undying Court.

Although he is a picture of bravery; he is the anti-thesis of encouragement.
    He spends most of his time prophesying doom and preparing for the worst that could happen.
    Just to describe to the folks out there how you voiced Temudgin the Pessimistic Paladin, imagine Eeyore from Winnie-the-Pooh.

"Hey Temudgin, do you think we should take the right path or the left path?"

"We'll probably die either way, so we may as well take the left one..."
    Last Tuesday went well with no deaths and only one near death in Misery's Peak when Flynte decided it was a good idea to provide support to the melee by sniping at the zombies with his wand of fire from the safety of a high ledge behind the party.

Here is a description of what happened IC:
    Suddenly Flynte heard the chitter of ice spiders behind him. Before he could turn to react, he was ensnared in a web, struggling to free himself as the rest of the party battled the zombies below him. He managed to utter a cry for help before he was completely covered in the cold, sticky spider webs, but the party did not realize he hadn't kept up with them and they had difficulty locating Flynte as his voice echoed off the icy cliffs surrounding them.

By the time they saw the ledge where Flynte was being attacked by two giant, translucent spiders Flynte had was unconscious. Texvites and Shadelle continued battling the zombies while the rest of the party ran to save Flynte.

Temudgin charged the spiders even though he knew Flynte was probably dead, and Inuria transformed into a massive bear and tore at the spiders with viciously teeth and razor sharp claws. Grawlfang slipped past the spiders and jumped up to the ledge where Flynte lay bleeding. He cut Flynte from the webs, and revived him before he slipped into the darkness forever.

After his brush with death, Flynte resolved to stay with the group at all times and the group made short work of the cultists and undead in the remaining underground chambers.
    OOC: After running the first two quests on hard, we ran the rest of the Korthos quests on elite, basically steamrolling them. Because of this I got a bit cocky and Flynte nearly bought it in Misery's peak. I got a surge of adrenaline when I saw his HPs drop to zero and the party had trouble finding me. I thought for sure I'd get the old DDO 'coup de grace' shot from the spiders when the party got close enough to rescue me.

Luckily that didn't happen and the party was able to draw the spiders away and revive me before I hit negative HPs.

Even though Flynte has an affinity for fire and will probably end up a fire savant, I started his spell list with sonic blast. After a few quests I was regretting this choice because it was doing so little damage, and I would have switched to Niac's but I hadn't acquired enough plat to do so. But I was very pleasantly surprised how well sonic blast worked in Misery's Peak. I didn't realize it had such a long range (basically the same as ray spells) and I was able to spam it effectively stunning the cultists and casters long enough for the melee to close ground and dispatch them.

Tonight we start the harbor quests. We'll probably stick with elite difficulty for now as hard does not seem to be providing us with much of a challenge at the moment.
    Last edited by Postumus; 11-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Sounds like fun watch out for those traps on elite ! :P

OOC: Post, you seem to have forgot my vigor spell was the one that actually got Flynte off the ground - as I was the first one to reach you that could actually heal you. Even if it was only a vigor spell lol

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast