Thread: To the Devs

Community Member

Smile To the Devs

Ignore the hate on this forum. You have a thankless job sometimes. We're all disappointed over the Mabar debacle but I know you guys have, and continue to work hard for us. Thanks for continuing to make DDO the best MMO around.
    -Andafin

is it really a thankless job if you just got thanked?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default nice

Two posts in three years. That's impressive.
    +1 for being positive!
    The Devs have a hard job in trying to create a game that will be likable by most of us and to keep it as close to AD&D as possible.
    They have six years of patching to unfix before they can really move forward. I think they are moving in the right direction and hope that they continue in their current direction. Mistakes happen, unfortunately we all suffer when the Devs don't do it right.
    Fortunately for us we get enjoy our real lives, the rest of DDO, or some other game. Trust me....I think the Devs realyze that their current jobs are dependant on the success of this wonderful game that we all enjoy.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Impaqt: I guess you're right there. By the way, I've learned a lot from your posts, so thank you as well.

Battlehawke: Thanks for the rep. I'm definitely a lurker on the forums. I just felt like the devs were catching a lot more flack than was warranted. They work hard to improve upon and expand a game we all get so much enjoyment from. When most of us make a mistake at work we probably hear about it from only a few people, not an angry mob. Hazards of duty I guess.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I agree. I noticed that one one of the routine scheduled Mondays recently they were set to be down from 8 am to 12 pm. They were back up at 10 am. THere were no threads about how great it was that they got it back up early. It struck me as sad that all the people who do the complaining and drama on the threads when they are late coudln't take a minute for a good job turbine.

Which led me to thinking about all the doom on the forums in general, vs. all the players I run into every day on the server having a good time.

The game is fun. Ideally, we would all love to see the bugs fixed, obviously, but the biggets hurdle of any game maker was crossed, and that is fun. I think the devs will just have to take all the people out there having a good time in the game as thanks.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

cheers to the devs,
    boos to the people in charge of forcing unfinished content out when its not ready.
    My demands are simple. Ducks, penguins and tortoises as pets. I'll buy hats and bow-ties for them all.

I quite agree. What I find amazing is people's unjustifiably angry responses direct to Majmal when he posts explanations and answers. Wow. At least he's trying.

Considering how many lines of code have been added, modified, patched, etc, I am just amazed that the devs can keep us up and running at all let alone add so much new content. There has to be so many lines crossing it is no wonder that when they try to do some things it bugs in unexpected ways. Yet they still manage to keep us going and put up with all the flack from the masses because of those unforseen bugs. I know I wouldn't want that job.

So agree with OP, thanks to the thankless.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by grayham View Post
    I quite agree. What I find amazing is people's unjustifiably angry responses direct to Majmal when he posts explanations and answers. Wow. At least he's trying.
    And quite often the same people also are the ones constantly complaining that we don't get enough dev interaction. I wonder why. LOL
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

/Signed..

Im not saying this to be antagonistic despite my nature

But I don't think the devs should ignore the negativity, and there is evidence that at least a few of them do read it.

Why? Because I feel that these are highly intelligent capable individuals not going to get their feelings hurt because some gaming nerd is mad at them.

Sometimes even when they are being whiners some people griping have a point. As long as they are not being completely ass inane about it Im pretty sure the devs can handle a little boohooing.

These are not little kids on a play ground, Im pretty sure MajorM and the group are used to the slings and arrows pitchforks and torches that sometimes comes their way when the nerdrage is high. I honestly would be more worried if a few barbs reduced them to teared up curled in a fetal position needing Mallomars to comfort them types.

Long wind cut short sometimes a heckler can show you how popular your job is just as much as a praise giver, if they are still around to complain someone is doing something right.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post

But I don't think the devs should ignore the negativity, and there is evidence that at least a few of them do read it.

Why? Because I feel that these are highly intelligent capable individuals not going to get their feelings hurt because some gaming nerd is mad at them.

Sometimes even when they are being whiners some people griping have a point. As long as they are not being completely ass inane about it Im pretty sure the devs can handle a little boohooing.

These are not little kids on a play ground, Im pretty sure MajorM and the group are used to the slings and arrows pitchforks and torches that sometimes comes their way when the nerdrage is high. I honestly would be more worried if a few barbs reduced them to teared up curled in a fetal position needing Mallomars to comfort them types.

Long wind cut short sometimes a heckler can show you how popular your job is just as much as a praise giver, if they are still around to complain someone is doing something right.
    I agree that the devs need to be able to accept criticism. However the Trolls get internet tough guy syndrome and deliver the message in a manner that is just plain ridiculous. In the process they bring down the entire DDO community. I guess that's the hazards of being an MMO dev or player but that doesn't mean I like it.

It appears our riot is out of pitchforks. Right click on this message to purchase more pitchforks from the DDO store.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    technically, he said they have a thankless job "SOMETIMES" :P

but, /signed.

whining almost always causes more bad than good, so I personally try to avoid it as much as possible and I wish others would do the same.

*insert round of applause for Turbine's hard work here* (even though I'm sure they've mastered the art of ignoring idiots by now)
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Prime Healer (All EDs Capped) | Brogburt - The Warlord (All EDs Capped) | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <The True Path>

I thank the devs (and Turbine in general) every month when I pay my subscription or buy extra points.

While the devs or anyone at Turbine should never take anything on these forums personally, they should never ignore negative post or even out right rage.

They should use it as one more feedback tool, and understand that most people posting negatively or raging on the forums are doing so because they genuinely like and enjoy DDO and want to see it get better.

Not that every post or every poster has merit, but if a thread had 100+ post about something players do not like it is a good bet that there is a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarrbrik View Post
    whining almost always causes more bad than good, so I personally try to avoid it as much as possible and I wish others would do the same.
    only when directed at self absorbed narcissists.

Quote Originally Posted by rdasca View Post
    They should use it as one more feedback tool, and understand that most people posting negatively or raging on the forums are doing so because they genuinely like and enjoy DDO and want to see it get better.
    what rdasca said +1.

Quote Originally Posted by whitehawk74 View Post
    cheers to the devs,
    boos to the people in charge of forcing unfinished content out when its not ready.
    and +1 this.
    Chaeos of Argonessen, Human Rogue/Fighter
    Please re-break AC differently.

Community Member

Default 1 person

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    1 person saying thanks, 1000 whining. Yeah, it's a thankless job.

Community Member

On the other hand, I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the current dev team consists of the type that not only aren't phased by criticism and heckling but maybe even like it. That would explain why they repeatedly ignore logical and (quite frankly) very obvious feedback from the forum community.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Community Member

OP, there's some brown stuff on your nose. Might wanna get a hanky.