Community Member

Default The <Balance> guild on Orien is recruiting new members

Hello all!

The <Balance> guild is recruiting new members to have fun and explore DDO together. No requirements, no hassle, all are welcome. Contact Axemage in game with a /tell or via mail if you want to join us.

We have just started out, ambitious and full of energy, sporting a guild level of 9 at the moment, but as you might also know it goes up fast in the first couple of levels. We aim to create a kind, restriction free enviroment, where there is:

- Active guildchat
    - No requirement on how you play the game. Of course rude behavior towards another player will not be tolerated (but you can kick kobolds!). Also we kindly ask everyone not to use the guild channel for selling goods. Offering free items and services to guild members is welcome, but selling is not. Use the Auction House, the trade channel or private /tells for that.
    - A community of players who you know, and you can group with. We support guild runs in case you would like to organize (and I will.. ), but never enforce them
    - Helping each other with advice and guideance

We have no set goals towards guild size or guild level, renown is not the primary reason to build a guild, and levels will come anyway no matter what we do...

Thank you for reading.

Axemage
    Last edited by Axemage; 10-28-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axemage View Post
    Hello all!

[...] Also we kindly ask everyone not to use the guild channel for selling goods [...]
    I'd kindly ask you to stop spamming general chat at every possible and impossible opportunity with your recruiting text...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse668 View Post
    I'd kindly ask you to stop spamming general chat at every possible and impossible opportunity with your recruiting text...
    Well spamming is a subjective thing. I never send these messages with less then 10 minutes between each message, what I dont consider spamming (of course ymmv.. ). Also Recruiting guild members in the general chat is the best way in my opinion. How would you do it, via the LFM panel or in the trade channel?

Oh, and thank you for your encouragement and well wishes regarding our new guild, we are also very optimistic and ambitious ourselves!

Axemage
    Last edited by Axemage; 10-28-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Also Recruiting guild members in the general chat is the best way in my opinion. How would you do it, via the LFM panel or in the trade channel?
    I personally think the best way is scouting people in groups with yourself, and networking with other players in game. If the people in your guild are likable and continue to run in pugs, people will also start asking to join.

Public channel spamming and blind invites result in a very high noise to signal ratio, as well as annoying some people who happen to be on the receiving end.

Community Member

You guys are really up with your nose about guild recruitment messages in the general channel. If you are so offended because you can see what others write in a public chat channel, why dont you play a single player game?

But I know now whats going on here, you cannot fool me. You are both envious, that you are not in such a great guild like the Balance, and want to pull us down! But we wont stop being optimistic, and ambitious, even after your totally bitter and unwelcoming remarks!...

Axemage

Community Member

You guys are really up with your nose about guild recruitment messages in the general channel. If you are so offended because you can see what others write in a public chat channel, why dont you play a single player game?

But I know now whats going on here, you cannot fool me. You are both envious, that you are not in such a great guild like the Balance, and want to pull us down! But we wont stop being optimistic, and ambitious, even after your totally bitter and unwelcoming remarks!...

Axemage
    "I don't care if I'm annoying you, it's your problem. You're clearly just jealous of how awesome I am."

Not a great message to be putting forward in your recruitment thread.

I personally don't care. If a person is annoying, it reflects poorly on their guild and they get squelched. The repercussions of which is entirely their problem. If this is a problem for you, just let me know and I'll PM you my toon names so you can squelch me. We're probably better off that way.

Community Member

You know guys, I was advertising my guild here, on the guild recruitment forum, and you came into my thread, and posted negative comments. Thats for annoyance, and shall I say trolling?

No wonder you cannot have fun with others anymore, as this behaviour what you show here is the most fun you can be. You are full of anger, hurt, and bitterness, where you should be fun and happy. Next time when I see one of those always returning topics on how the DDO community is approaching new blood in general, and how friendly are the experienced players, I just link this forum topic.

If you are not interested in joining my guild, or about my guild at all, what the heck are you doing in this thread?

Axemage
    Last edited by Axemage; 10-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

...what the heck are you doing in this thread?
    Because you asked a question, and I offered an answer.

How would you do it, via the LFM panel or in the trade channel?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidApathy View Post
    I personally think the best way is scouting people in groups with yourself, and networking with other players in game. If the people in your guild are likable and continue to run in pugs, people will also start asking to join.

You are full of anger, hurt, and bitterness, where you should be fun and happy.
    How do you know how I should feel? Maybe my fun and happyness is fueled by anger?
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

Hey Axe, calm down.

I also think the best way to recruit is to pug and meet people and either wait for them to ask YOU (the best way) or offer them to join you, if, of course, they are not already in a guild.

Roll a lowbie and do some korthos and harbor quests.
    Put it in your bio that you are actively recruiting.

I also need to mention that I too noticed your spamming. And yes, I need to call it spamming if I remember seeing your public channel announcements pretty often. Again, no offense, but also no need to alienate other players on Orien. Orien players are a pretty friendly bunch, give or take a few, so take things in stride.

i don't think anyone here is against you, just honestly trying to help...
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

If all you want is to increase the number of people in your guild, then advertising in Korthos and Harbor general chat is very effective. But this means you'll have people that don't know the game well, immature kids, people just trying out the game that quit, undergeared (this can be worked around), disloyal, or just generally annoying. If you want a long lasting guild with people you'll have fun with than you are better off listening to RabidApathy.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    How do you know how I should feel? Maybe my fun and happyness is fueled by anger?
    You sir, are starting to sound like Epoch.

Community Member

Possibly it will be better if I just stop coming here onto the forums.

I have seen guilds who advertise in LFMs, what is frowned upon, I know that. Other guilds send blind invites, very strange method for me. Yet other big, long time existing guilds also advertise in the general chat channel. I have seen all of that happening on the Orien server.

I have come to this forums, and you act like ..., I dunno, better not get into that, possibly those other guilds didnt come here. I know it was my fault to expect encouragement on the forums, my bad, I dont blame anyone else for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    Hey Axe, calm down
    I also need to mention that I too noticed your spamming. And yes, I need to call it spamming if I remember seeing your public channel announcements pretty often. Again, no offense, but also no need to alienate other players on Orien. Orien players are a pretty friendly bunch, give or take a few, so take things in stride.

i don't think anyone here is against you, just honestly trying to help...
    I think if the opinions what I read here reflect the general opinion of the Orien community, alienating them will be a trivial task for my skills.... I have to say, that you are not really an open bunch, and very exclusive, at least thats how I saw it in the brief time I have spent on the forums.

Also I have to add that I have never ever, not once, received any complaint about me alienating or annoying any other Orien player with my guild recruitment adverts, in the game. Quite a big contrast to this forum topic I must admit.

One group of people I aim to help with my guild, are the new players. They typically dont group, trying their wings in solo play, and they, in a lot of cases, even have problems with sending tells to another player.

The only reliable method to get to them is the General chat channel.

I am sorry if I have offended the big Orien community with my messages. Maybe one day you can get your server pure, without new guilds and new guild leaders, annoying recruitment messages, and new players.

Not today though.

Axemage
    Last edited by Axemage; 10-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

One group of people I aim to help with my guild, are the new players. They typically dont group, trying their wings in solo play, and they, in a lot of cases, even have problems with sending tells to another player.

I've actually found that the newer players are the most likely to join groups, especially for very low level content. Create a new character (or TR) and throw up an LFM for Korthos or Harbor quests, and most of the people you will have join will be fairly new and without a guild. Exchange some friendly banter, show them around the quest and get them a quest completion or two and then offer guild membership to those who you think may be a good fit. If you wish to continue expanding fast, then promote more people you trust to Officer and tell them to keep an eye out for promising recruits.

I'm glad you've shied away from the blind invite path, but alienating the established player base is probably not in your best interest, nor your guilds. Orien is a small server, so just remember that your actions reflect upon yourself and your guild and act accordingly. Good luck with your guild, and calm down. Despite what you seem to think, most of us are trying to help you.

Well I am not going to contribute to the argument (as I am still not sure what the argument is about, your general chat recruitment does not bother me a bit, and it is up to you what kind of guild you want to have and if its going to be Korthos players only who cares?!)

So all I am going to say is good luck with your recruitment, and I hope everything will work out with your new guild

Happy hunting
    “DDO Tip #321 : Wait till the Beholder blinks"

Community Member

Possibly it will be better if I just stop coming here onto the forums.

SNIP SNIP

I am sorry if I have offended the big Orien community with my messages. Maybe one day you can get your server pure, without new guilds and new guild leaders, annoying recruitment messages, and new players.

Not today though.

Axemage

sorry to say, but you getting this all wrong. And false apologetics are not needed.

I PUG 99% of my time, because while I am in a highish lvl guild, we are small (14 accounts) and of varied activity, time availability, and level.
    I play with new players, old players, bad players and some of the best players in the game. I have probably helped more new players by playing with them patiently than I would have by making a new guild. All Rabid and myself are saying, is that General chat is NOT the best way to recruit players. And if you want to spam, spam, fine by me. Just don't forget than a name is easily made and hard to change. You don't want your guildies remembered for "Oh that's the guild that spammed the general chat", rather "Oh good, some Balance guys are with us." Like I say to myself, when players from certain guild joins a PUG I am in (don't want to name specific guilds - might offend the ones I don't hehe).

I say again, and you seem to ignore this part; Orien are a nice bunch mostly, no one is trying to beat you down, just passing some advice as to the best way to recruit players. Gen chat might be easy, but running lowbie quests and finding players that way, is the best for a new guild. Not necessarily by LFM, but just being where new players ARE goes a long way.

/peace and looking forward to running with you and your guildies.

Adrunil/ Adrunel/ Robodoc from Afterlife.
    Last edited by SSFWEl; 10-30-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Default Since I cannot say guild name

We can assume since it is under here what guild has officers like this.
    ---------------------

You tell (insert name), 'is an officer on to see about joining?'

(Tell): (insert name) tells you, 'see aobut joining what'

(Tell): (insert name) tells you, 'if you mean guild i am an officer'

You tell 'what else would I mean?

(insert name) tells you, 'i dunno you want an invite

You tell 'forget it'

(insert name) has invited you to join his guild
    (Guild): You decline (insert name) invitation to join his guild

(insert name)tells you, 'fine be a little *****'

You tell 'serious

(insert name) tells you, 'i was trying to be nice and then you had to be a ****'
    (insert name) tells you, 'so i was a **** back

(Tell): You tell, 'this is being nice
    (Tell): You tell, 'have I called you names, wow

(insert name) tells you, 'no inviting was being nice and not calling you out on being a smartass was being nice too'

-------------------------------------------------

At this point I left them know I would be posting here regarding guild actions since Axemage does state rude bahavior would not be tolerated.

One can see that I elected after the misfire I changed my mind and decided this may not be the guild for me. Then it only got much worse.

So exactly Axemage why are you recruiting here if when someone sees you are they are treated in such a manner by someone that represents you?
    Last edited by laurawilder; 10-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Community Member

I think that everyone is a little heated here.

I wouldn't call the message is general 'spamming' per-say, but I do notice them much more often than other guild messages. Also, just because you only put one message into the chat at a time, sometimes inactivity of that chat channel puts no space in between consecutive messages, and therefore, regardless of how spread out time-wise, they are still consecutively placed.

I have to agree with some points made here concerning whether or not 'Chat Recruitment' is the way to go. And I happen to agree with 'Observant Recruiting' (questing with pugs and singling out the lively, adept players to offer an invite to). Though this is not always a reliable option for new guild seeking a larger player base, as it is a much slower method of recruitment.

As for the negative comments, perhaps they went a little overboard, and perhaps they are not what some would like to see on a Guild Recruiting Forum, though in all honesty, opinions are plenty allowed on the forums and while they may not always be agreeable by all people (which few opinions are anyways), they are not to be counted as folly and instantly discredited either.

I have nothing against either your players, Axe, nor your guild <Balance>, nor anyone else who, have been/will be, posting on this forum, but I, as many others, revel at the chance to defend our own opinions of play styles, guilds, and players and actively voice them to the community.

<Clemeit, Clemeiit, Clemeitttt, Izamine, Izaminee>