Question help with 1st life 32p light monk

My Monk is level 3 so far, I've been following this guide bellow for most of it.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Solid_Shintao_Monk
    But I made a few changes to it taking feat advice from this thread here.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=396171

I'm wondering if this is really a decent build or if it's outdated or something.
    Since I'm only level 3 I can re-roll easily so I figured I'd ask now.

I just re-rolled to a new server so I don't have huge funds or anything, barely enough to buy a +1tome.
    So I don't have enough to have a +2Dex tome ready for me at 7.

As it is now I'm a LN Human, 32p build
    Skills: Concentration/Balance/Jump/Spot/1-Tumble
    Feats at 3: TWF/Power Attack/Toughness/Stunning Fist/Cleave

Also noting that I'm not adverse to going dark monk, I just read that they're not as friendly to the unfunded/1st lifers and that I'm VIP and have access to all the races save for Drow (for now).

Any help is welcome.
    Last edited by Xunnar; 10-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.

The feats you already have are good.
    I'd take Great Cleave and Improved Sunder at 6. Be sure to use a +2 dex tome before level 9, as you need BAB+6 to take Improved Two Weapon Fighting, and you'll get that at 9, it's ok to not have a +2 dex tome at 7

The reason I'm suggesting Great Cleave is because you won't have any AOE options, and using Cleave and Great Cleave in a crowded room will yield great ki, and because you'll need it for Overwhelming Critical (which you'll qualify for at 21 if you put all your ability increases to strength and use a +3 tome, which you probably will be able to afford by then).

So to recap, I'd suggest the feats: Imp. Sunder & Great Cleave @ 6, ITWF @ 9, Imp. Crit @ 12, GTWF @ 15. Dunno what to take at 18, Dodge or a second Toughness are decent options IMO, Overwhelming Crit @ 21. All ability levelups into STR
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Quote Originally Posted by Xunnar View Post
    My Monk is level 3 so far, I've been following this guide bellow for most of it.

I'm wondering if this is really a decent build or if it's outdated or something.

I just re-rolled to a new server so I don't have huge funds or anything, barely enough to buy a +1tome.

Also noting that I'm not adverse to going dark monk, I just read that they're not as friendly to the unfunded/1st lifers and that I'm VIP and have access to all the races save for Drow (for now).

Any help is welcome.
    Looks pretty good, save one thing.

WIS is often underestimated. It's the stat that determines success or failure in most of your DC checks for abilities that make the Monk a stellar fighter. While you can get boosts to it from items, a strong WIS of 28 or more will determine your fate in high-level fighting. I'd actually go 16 on WIS if possible. By end game I'm less concerned with STR and DEX and am pumping CON and WIS any time I get.

You're right on being a Dark Monk. Better to learn the Light Monk to prepare yourself for them. They are very fun but far more challenging since they aren't as immediately self-healing during battle. On the other hand, they can dish out some harsh damage, a little better overall than most of their Light brethren.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Looks pretty good, save one thing.

WIS is often underestimated. It's the stat that determines success or failure in most of your DC checks for abilities that make the Monk a stellar fighter. While you can get boosts to it from items, a strong WIS of 28 or more will determine your fate in high-level fighting. I'd actually go 16 on WIS if possible. By end game I'm less concerned with STR and DEX and am pumping CON and WIS any time I get.
    This. Wisdom on a monk becomes very important. Also, decide which stance you're going to concentrate on, and then go from there. Earth stance is pretty stout in rougher places, and wind is of course always popular.

Any help is welcome.
    Dark Monk can be done on 1st life, but if you can't afford the Tome's, it hurts.

Human is a good choice for a 1st life monk, but since you're VIP and you're not adverse to rerolling, I have a few modifications you might consider:

1. I'd really suggest Half-Elf. That's a very common theme on these forums, but it's a truly effective build. You'll have the wisdom to select Cleric Dilletante, which will provide you with excellent buffs and reliable self healing/raise dead at level 10.

2. Based on the no tomes, leave your stats as they are. I would take the character down earth stance for survivability reasons. This is first life

Here is a build:

Half Elf - Lawful Good

32-Pts

Feats: (1)Toughness (1M)Two Weapon Fighting (2M)Power Attack (3)Cleave (6) (6M)Two-Weapon Fighting (9)Improved Two Weapon Fighting (12)Improved Critical: Blud (15)Greater Two Weapon Fighting (18) Improved Sunder

Stat Level Ups: (4)Dex (8)Con (12)Con (16)Dex (20)Con

Important Enhancements:
    -Take the Full Cleric Dilly line
    -Take the Full Monk Improved Recovery line
    -Take the Full Wisdom Line
    -Human Adaptabilities 1st to Dex then to Wisdom
    -Cleric Dilly: Wisdom
    -Full Shinto Line
    -Earth to Grandmaster
    -Toughness Feats

I'd really suggest flipping the character as soon as you eat a couple +2 tomes. Wisdom is important, but without the appropriate tomes and beginning stat points, focusing on wis first life can be problematic.
    Last edited by Nubicus; 10-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Member of Starfleet
    Thelanis

Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

As Far as Gear goes, you're going to have to work on the cheap

Handwraps:

Since this is a brand new toon, first on the server with no plat build up and no gear passing, I'd suggest the following. You'll have to make a few purchases on the auction house:

-Stunning Handwraps- Auction House purchase you're going to need to make unless you get lucky drops.

-Devotion Handwraps- You'll have to do Delera's twice, once for the voice and once for the Devotion handwraps. If you don't manage to find good or holy handwraps on your way up, this is a cheap effective way to get them. The voice of the master is guaranteed endreward for the chain, so if you see the wraps the first time around, snag them.

-Scorching Handwraps- These are good damage dealers for the min level and easy to farm. Look for them in Three Barrel Cove.

-Mabar will be back up soon. Do what you can to make a leveled set of the mabar hand wraps.

-Vampiric Stone Dust Handwraps- You're going to need to do the lords march chain for an outfit anyways, so do yourself a favor and spend some time in that chain trying to farm for the wraps and upgrade them. With a light monk, this boost your self-sufficiency and will cut down on your overall cost of pots and scrolls.

Outfits:
    -Until you reach a certain level snag an invulnerability outfit. When you reach level 8ish look for moderate fort.

-Frozen Tunics are always a good choice if you don't mind farming challenges.

-Garments of Equilibrium drop vary easily in the lords march chain. I believe in siegebreaker. Grab them, slap them on. Get used to seeing them for a while.

Bracers:
    Jidz-Teka is a set of bracers from the Tide Turns House Denieth chain. As soon as your of appropriate level run the chain, and then upgrade them with the three marks. You'll wear them until the garments of equilibrium become available. While in earth stance they'll increase the die step of your attacks, which is important.

Helms:
    Minos.

Farm shroud once you hit 20. Make a Hit Point belt of smoke? (The Displacement clickie belt) After 20 completions you'll get a shot at a tome.

Edit: Also level 17-19, hop into a Sane Asylum farm and grab a sustaining symbiot.
    Last edited by Nubicus; 10-26-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Look out! She's casting something nasty!
    Member of Starfleet
    Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus View Post
    Dark Monk can be done on 1st life, but if you can't afford the Tome's, it hurts.

Human is a good choice for a 1st life monk, but since you're VIP and you're not adverse to rerolling, I have a few modifications you might consider:

1. I'd really suggest Half-Elf. That's a very common theme on these forums, but it's a truly effective build. You'll have the wisdom to select Cleric Dilletante, which will provide you with excellent buffs and reliable self healing/raise dead at level 10.

2. Based on the no tomes, leave your stats as they are. I would take the character down earth stance for survivability reasons. This is first life

Here is a build:

Half Elf - Lawful Good

32-Pts

Feats: (1)Toughness (1M)Two Weapon Fighting (2M)Power Attack (3)Cleave (6) (6M)Two-Weapon Fighting (9)Improved Two Weapon Fighting (12)Improved Critical: Blud (15)Greater Two Weapon Fighting (18) Improved Sunder

Stat Level Ups: (4)Dex (8)Con (12)Con (16)Dex (20)Con

Important Enhancements:
    -Take the Full Cleric Dilly line
    -Take the Full Monk Improved Recovery line
    -Take the Full Wisdom Line
    -Human Adaptabilities 1st to Dex then to Wisdom
    -Cleric Dilly: Wisdom
    -Full Shinto Line
    -Earth to Grandmaster
    -Toughness Feats

I'd really suggest flipping the character as soon as you eat a couple +2 tomes. Wisdom is important, but without the appropriate tomes and beginning stat points, focusing on wis first life can be problematic.
    Two Weapon Fighting twice?

Two Weapon Fighting twice?
    Lolz. That was my bad. No. That's supposed to be stunning fist at level 6 and you have a free feat slot.
    Member of Starfleet
    Thelanis

Thumbs up

Lolz. That was my bad. No. That's supposed to be stunning fist at level 6 and you have a free feat slot.
    Alright thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

No problem.

Some others might have a better option for you, but Monk on budget is tough.

What server are you on?
    Member of Starfleet
    Thelanis

No problem.

Some others might have a better option for you, but Monk on budget is tough.

What server are you on?
    Thelanis.
    My first monk is Suju, the new one I just made is Siusha.