Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
    Community Member

Thanks for the formal announcement, and tyvm for the +31%exp

Every year 50% fail rate on dragon due to lag.... I understood the first year not knowing the demand for the dragon instances, but after this many events and this many dragons still can't figure out how to stop the lag? just fail... and I don't blame the devs, I know your doing everyting you can - just lack of resources to work with I'm sure
    Last edited by Ballyspringer; 10-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Community Member

Default Mabar Lag

For anyone who doesn't know, the trick I learned last year to avoid Mabar lag is to send only one member of your party into the instance. If it's laggy, that person comes out and goes into another instance until he/she finds one that isn't laggy.

Had two fails out of three last year before learning that trick, no fails afterward. Hopefully it still works this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Texlaw1992 View Post
    For anyone who doesn't know, the trick I learned last year to avoid Mabar lag is to send only one member of your party into the instance. If it's laggy, that person comes out and goes into another instance until he/she finds one that isn't laggy.

Had two fails out of three last year before learning that trick, no fails afterward. Hopefully it still works this year.
    That is very useful to know! I will have to try it and see if it works. Thank you for pointing it out.

I guess I have been super lucky. I just enter the instance asap after it is announced. I have had 1 failure in 10 attempts. I'll keep trusting my luck

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Community Member

Nice work on getting Mabar up and running.

Also grats on them showing up in the Monster Manual.
    Last edited by GoRinNoSho; 10-30-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Community Member anatomyofaghost's Avatar

I hate to complain so soon after you got this working but... are we really supposed to be getting 1 drop for about 50 enemies killed? Epic instances are a complete waste of time...

Community Member phroggiepuddles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desdain View Post
    I think this is getting a wee bit off-topic (not blaming you... I'm just as guilty.) But I have to say that often the problem with devising an estimation is because developers are being asked to quantify how long something will take when we just don't know. Perhaps the task involves a lot of research, or perhaps there are concerns are about the possible side-effects of changes we have to make. Software applications are complex systems. Coding features is often like a bunch of 'eureka' moments strung together. You don't really know when you will get one, and when you do features fly together. It's not like estimating how long it will take to dig a ditch.

When you say:

This statement says a lot about work culture. You have a lot of pressure to perform (of course.) And your developer's reaction is to respond with these wild numbers because they want to make sure they have enough time to get things done right. Also they know who gets the blame (from all that pressure) when things go wrong.

I think the notion of a time estimate being unacceptable due to business reasons means that the business has the process the wrong way 'round: Software development is often a speculative process. I'm not talking about developing well understood processes here (I assume you aren't either.) If a time estimate is unacceptable due to business reasons, well the R&D process doesn't really care. You have a team with a certain level of talents and skills. The proper solution will take however long it takes. Assuming the team is working as well as it is able, 'however long it takes' should be minimized.

I think a better way to work is to understand the unknowns (why is an estimate so big) and then use that knowledge to make sensible business decisions. If more businesses realized this and planned accordingly, perhaps there would be a lot fewer failed projects and botched releases.
    < continue hijacking thread >

I totally agree with you, now to tell you why you are wrong (just kidding hehe!!!). IT software development I see as an "art", and like art it's very difficult to quantify it, especially when it's good. I was working most with data architects and modellers, designing the databases and data strategy well before you even start talking about any kind of software or how to develop it. Those team conversations was like listening to philosophy debates more than anything else.

In an ideal world, what you suggest would and should be true. Often this is why a small start up can have an amazing product, because it's taken 5, 10 or 20 years of passionate development from 1 or 2 people before even trying to go to market. But tier 1 company (such as AT&T or Telstra/Optus in Australia) comes out and says "we need a database to track users 4G mobile data" and 5 consulting companies come back with proposals and quotes. Most of the time, the one who gets the work is the one who quotes the lowest and shortest timeframe and has the best buddy-buddy relationship with the CFO, GM, Director, CEO whatever. You have to talk the technical talk in that process to convince them you understand the problem and confident at providing a solution, but beyond that the reality of the development and unknowns (which are always there) aren't taken into account.

So in hindsight a task actually needs 30 days, the tech said 20 days, the sales said 8 days, the PM tries to go for 18 days while the client demands 10 days (he was sold it on 8). So what do you quote and schedule? Some of the answers you can come back with will loose you the job.

It's a real fight to get a meaningful and truthful quote out there and accepted. A good PM will do everything possible... and in amongst all that there are a lot of dirty tricks most companies (especially big ones) use to get the work (often at a loss) but then lock that client in for 5+ years in expensive changes and additions (smaller companies don't have the weight to enforce those half as much). It's all a game, a bit of a dance, and a fair amount of skull duggery - but it's the reality of the business. Unfortunately for the developer, who doesn't care or want to care about these things - it directly effects their work and the demands a company makes on them, but at the end of the day the alternative is not having a job at all.

In my dealings I've very rarely seen a developer understand this, and it creates a lot of friction between the layers of staff. And vice versa management often don't understand the developers point of view, which I understand and empathise with but it's a luxury you can very rarely afford (especially in consulting, if it's a permanent in-house development you're likely to have a bit more leeway).

< / hijacking thread >

Community Member phroggiepuddles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    Agree - you REALLY don't want to see the eclectic collection of software we run at work - and we are a fortune 100 company. Some is as old as the Korean War with as you say minor non-gui interface changes, and some is cutting edge multimonitor touch screen interfaces.

Usually companies go with what works, what is bulletproof when it comes to critical systems, and sometimes even custom depending upon need and availability.

AT&T uses h/s ware that is proven, and the sheer amount of resources needed to upgrade from that is mind boggling - look how long it took to upgrade from analog to digital switches? Is it even done yet?

The fact is that most h/s ware doesn't just become obsolete - except in one or two areas (and there are always exceptions) - and gaming tech is such.
    It's mind-boggling complex. Telstra (Australian biggest telco) utilises over 1,000 different applications. Last decade a new big-wig US CEO came in (Mexican background I think) and introduced a plan to upgrade all that down to a small handful of applications to streamline everything. End result is they now need to use more, the new stuff and the old stuff. Another client I worked for (not-telco) had a 2 year $40 million dollar transformation project to move from their legacy system that was 20-30 years old to a new one... after 2 years and a very overblown budget they still hadn't been able to do it - now they have to operate with both systems.

Now when I play DDO, and with all it's updates and expansions I wonder how many different apps and modules am I interfacing at anyone time? After 6 years live it must be impressive... I just got to Epic levels (and Underdark) for the first time and it almost feels like playing a totally different game, how much of that actually is a different game?

I used to play a lot of Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2, online and offline - had a massive modder community) and the amount of stuff the modders couldn't do because of stuff hard coded in would make a DDO'er cry. You couldn't have half the stuff we got here

Community Member

Default Festival bad for CAsters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    UPDATE: The Mabar festival is now available! Thanks for your patience and we'll see you in game!

The Mabar Festival of Endless Night is now available! Click here for our guide to the event in the DDO Compendium! Also, Click here for special Mabar related items.
    I hate these festival events. I play A sorc. Have for years. Its the only character I enjoy playing. You nerf us completely by taking away the only strengths we have. AOE and AREa of effect CC. Then you take away our meat shields by not allowing us to summon. So I enter the festival event, spend my 3000 sp in a matter of mins, or get mobbed with no aoe and no ac. The worst part of all you take the player base away from LFM so I cannot get a group!!! THANKS DDO. I am VIP YEAR subscription good to sept22 2013.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Question

Any news how long it will be extended ?

Community Member

This was my first time running this event and I am shocked at how this is run. Very poor design all around.

We sat around, a group of 10, for at least an hour and a half just killing stuff before the event even opened. Then we go in and have to wait ten more minutes for the dang thing to start. After all that waiting it takes less then fives minutes to kill the dragon and then it is over and you have to wait 30 mins for it to even have a chance to open back up. You kidding me!

I would really like to know who the dev behind this event is and what he/she was thinking when they made it and how it ever got approved.

Why not just make it so the instance is opened right away but you can only run it twice an hour per account, would limit over farming, and let the outside area stay open for people to farm ingredients?

Not only that, but motes were not dropping in level 20-25 instance at all unless you drink the draught that produces motes from killed enemies.

Just a horrible mechanic and really needs to be reworked and shame on turbine for allowing this to go live.

And while we are at it, do the same for cove. All this farming stuff to open the instance is really lame and tiresome. Absolutely no point in running it this way, makes it feel more like a chore than an event.

I'm very sorry if this information has been supplied before. Is there any word on when Mabar will be extended to?

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by muny21 View Post
    Not only that, but motes were not dropping in level 20-25 instance at all unless you drink the draught that produces motes from killed enemies.
    Motes do not drop from mobs in Mabar. The only way to get motes is to turn in the Fingerbones, Opals and Skulls. Turning them in gives you motes and it speeds up the time until the next summoning chamber opening. Your collectibles bag should be full of the fingerbones, opals and skulls.
    Anyone know of an easy way to make cool signatures? Cause this one really sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shindurza View Post
    Motes do not drop from mobs in Mabar. The only way to get motes is to turn in the Fingerbones, Opals and Skulls. Turning them in gives you motes and it speeds up the time until the next summoning chamber opening. Your collectibles bag should be full of the fingerbones, opals and skulls.
    True, unless you have a pot of midnight going they will drop direct then.

Just finished my first run. 2k motes and a lot of fun. TYVM Turbine
    Beauty? nah...the Death ray is in the eye of the Beholder

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozenage View Post
    I hate these festival events. I play A sorc. Have for years. Its the only character I enjoy playing. You nerf us completely by taking away the only strengths we have. AOE and AREa of effect CC. Then you take away our meat shields by not allowing us to summon. So I enter the festival event, spend my 3000 sp in a matter of mins, or get mobbed with no aoe and no ac. The worst part of all you take the player base away from LFM so I cannot get a group!!! THANKS DDO. I am VIP YEAR subscription good to sept22 2013.
    SO yea. in order to take advantage of mabar. I have to reset enhancments. from ice to fire. 3 days. I have to buy blood of dragons to change spells. 150 points for 30 min. then buy again if I want to leave mabar and join a group quest. other wise wait 3 days. I mean guys. really help us out a bit so we can take advantage and enjoy this festival!! Its expensive and unfair.

Anybody else having a lot of problems with low level spawns showing up?
    Why separate out different leveled instances of Mabar if a single level 15 character can just run around wherever they want spawning low level **** and griefing everybody??
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by cozenage View Post
    SO yea. in order to take advantage of mabar. I have to reset enhancments. from ice to fire. 3 days. I have to buy blood of dragons to change spells. 150 points for 30 min. then buy again if I want to leave mabar and join a group quest. other wise wait 3 days. I mean guys. really help us out a bit so we can take advantage and enjoy this festival!! Its expensive and unfair.
    I've got a level 17 Sorc, Water Savant, and I was concerned he was going to have problems, but he's not having any troubles at all farming motes in the 16-20 instances. Just keep moving and the mobs hardly ever hit you (or that's been my experience, at least). I still cast whatever fire spells will work in there, they're just not quite as effective as they would be if he was Fire Savant. He's Acid secondary, and acid spells work pretty well too. Haven't run him in the dragon fight yet, but the Sorcs I've seen in there (when I run on my Clerics) usually keep Disco balls and web going the whole time for the Gargoyles.

You don't have to respec at all to have fun in Mabar on a Sorc, you just have to change your tactics a little, but since you don't have to worry about SP (run back to the bar to refill) it's no big deal to cast a weaker spell; you just cast it more times than you might be used to
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shindurza View Post
    I see. Well that only fixes one problem with the event. I only ran it once and probably wont run it again. Rather just buy the motes I need and get the robe I want that way. Just a horrible and boring event.

Cool

Happy Halloween!

The Blood Red Moon has risen!

Thank you to all those who worked so hard under the threat of Sandy to gator dun!

Happy Hunting!

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast