Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Default I think you misconstrue what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by bseamus View Post
    Writing four paragraphs to complain about someone complaining is an exercise in irony.

As for making it more difficult to find the latest, I thought they just update the original post.

I agree the post you responded to was pretty much pointless, but when people actually schedule days off from work to enjoy a festival that has run before and was recently test-run... I mean previewed on the Lamannia server, I'd expect more than a few unproductive rants. Especially if they're new to the game and haven't been burned like a few of us have
    I am not complaining about them complaining per se. I am complaining about the people expecting things that are clearly ridiculous. How can somebody expect Turbine to give them a time frame for an update if they don't know yet themselves? That entire line of thinking is horrifyingly nonsensical. The person that posted that should be ashamed that they let such drivel issue from their keyboard to prove how foolish they are. My six year old niece would know better than that.

I simply point out that if people bothered to consider the actual decision process that is being made then they would know immediately that Turbine cannot make an announcement about the status of the fix, other than they are working on it, until they actually have a solution. Any other course of action by Turbine would be making the same mistake that they made by assuming that Mabar was working in the first place and announcing it.

Clearly, Turbine has some serious quality control issues that are not resolved on Lamania. Clearly they have some sloppiness in the way they manage the DDO product. Clearly they have other priorities right now, such as the recent release of the latest paid expansion for LoTRO. They have to pay the bills, after all, if they are going to provide a server for DDO to be played at all.

While I do not like that the festival was postponed, I am hoping that Turbine sees that they have messed up and compensates by making sure that Mabar runs for the full duration that it was planned. I understand people taking vacations. I do not understand taking your vacation just to put more time into a festival in a video game when it is running for ten days anyway. I guess that everybody has to make their own decisions, but that really is some obsessive/compulsive behavior. If you are taking vacation days for something like that it may be time for some serious self-examination.

Default My two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Valherus View Post
    I am not complaining about them complaining per se. I am complaining about the people expecting things that are clearly ridiculous. How can somebody expect Turbine to give them a time frame for an update if they don't know yet themselves? That entire line of thinking is horrifyingly nonsensical. The person that posted that should be ashamed that they let such drivel issue from their keyboard to prove how foolish they are. My six year old niece would know better than that.

I simply point out that if people bothered to consider the actual decision process that is being made then they would know immediately that Turbine cannot make an announcement about the status of the fix, other than they are working on it, until they actually have a solution. Any other course of action by Turbine would be making the same mistake that they made by assuming that Mabar was working in the first place and announcing it.

Clearly, Turbine has some serious quality control issues that are not resolved on Lamania. Clearly they have some sloppiness in the way they manage the DDO product. Clearly they have other priorities right now, such as the recent release of the latest paid expansion for LoTRO. They have to pay the bills, after all, if they are going to provide a server for DDO to be played at all.

While I do not like that the festival was postponed, I am hoping that Turbine sees that they have messed up and compensates by making sure that Mabar runs for the full duration that it was planned. I understand people taking vacations. I do not understand taking your vacation just to put more time into a festival in a video game when it is running for ten days anyway. I guess that everybody has to make their own decisions, but that really is some obsessive/compulsive behavior. If you are taking vacation days for something like that it may be time for some serious self-examination.
    I applaud this, points out everything that possibly could be going down. +1 For common sense.
    Honestly however, just wait. Turbine has ... had a lot of hic-ups but they tend to stand up and try something else. Give them some time, they'll put some thought into it in a little while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carkolda View Post
    And this is why I will probably wait, in the future, about 1-2 months after a pack comes out to even contemplate buying it with TP. No sense in buying something that doesn't work.

Wink

I do not know, if it was posted before, but maybe it will be a little helpful (from facebook) :

"The DDO game servers will be down Tuesday October 30th from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for a hotfix to address Mabar festival issues. After the hotfix, the festival will resume at 4:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). Thank you for your patience!

Special note: Due to power outages in our region, we are unable to connect to the game launcher news at this time to post the downtime message. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will add a message to the game launcher once power is restored. All game servers are still up and available."

So, just wait for it ^^
    Last edited by Xazaks; 10-30-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    I've been asking myself the same question =/ it's very town-by-town in terms of who does or doesn't have power at the moment. We've definitely started seeing more extreme wind here now... could be worse, but it's enough to cause downed trees that try to catch their balance on power lines.
    Yeah, I learned a bit about the dynamics of hurricanes with this one (and that's saying something as I used to live in Cayman.) It seems the winds on the north-northeast side of the storm were much stronger. Here in Newark there isn't really any appreciable damage. Our power never went out. I don't think we saw winds much in excess of 40-50mph.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xazaks View Post
    I do not know, if it was posted before, but maybe it will be a little helpful (from facebook) :

"The DDO game servers will be down Tuesday October 30th from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for a hotfix to address Mabar festival issues. After the hotfix, the festival will resume at 4:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). Thank you for your patience!

Special note: Due to power outages in our region, we are unable to connect to the game launcher news at this time to post the downtime message. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will add a message to the game launcher once power is restored. All game servers are still up and available."

So, just wait for it ^^
    When was that posted? An hour ago on Twitter, they posted this:

The maintenance scheduled for Tuesday has been postponed. Thanks, and we'll let you know when it's rescheduled.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phroggiepuddles View Post
    I'm an IT project manager and this drives me nuts!!!! I understand why developers* will never set a timeframe or date... but as I keep saying to the guys I'm managing "I have to put a number of days against this task that you have to perform, it's better you giving me a number than me making one up". So then they give me some totally unrealistic ridiculous number which is completely unacceptable due to the business reasons, so I have to estimate it as good as possible and then the guys get upset with the timeframe they get.

Actually, my estimates haven't been too bad ... but generally there can be a lot of hate between developers and management because they can never see each others side of the coin (shhhh, don't tell anyone, but the secret is working together, and respecting each others position and opinions). Whether we like it or not, the business and money demands of the job is what sets the framework for what can be achieved - and the client must know how long something is going to take.

* - when I say "developers" I'm referring to coders, designers, data modellers and architects
    I think this is getting a wee bit off-topic (not blaming you... I'm just as guilty.) But I have to say that often the problem with devising an estimation is because developers are being asked to quantify how long something will take when we just don't know. Perhaps the task involves a lot of research, or perhaps there are concerns are about the possible side-effects of changes we have to make. Software applications are complex systems. Coding features is often like a bunch of 'eureka' moments strung together. You don't really know when you will get one, and when you do features fly together. It's not like estimating how long it will take to dig a ditch.

When you say:

Quote Originally Posted by phroggiepuddles View Post
    they give me some totally unrealistic ridiculous number which is completely unacceptable due to the business reasons
    This statement says a lot about work culture. You have a lot of pressure to perform (of course.) And your developer's reaction is to respond with these wild numbers because they want to make sure they have enough time to get things done right. Also they know who gets the blame (from all that pressure) when things go wrong.

I think the notion of a time estimate being unacceptable due to business reasons means that the business has the process the wrong way 'round: Software development is often a speculative process. I'm not talking about developing well understood processes here (I assume you aren't either.) If a time estimate is unacceptable due to business reasons, well the R&D process doesn't really care. You have a team with a certain level of talents and skills. The proper solution will take however long it takes. Assuming the team is working as well as it is able, 'however long it takes' should be minimized.

I think a better way to work is to understand the unknowns (why is an estimate so big) and then use that knowledge to make sensible business decisions. If more businesses realized this and planned accordingly, perhaps there would be a lot fewer failed projects and botched releases.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    Incorrect - a broad interpretation of Moore's Law is that it addresses anything technical - that every 24 months (or so) what was state of the art, cutting edge will be defunct and obsolete.

Part of this is the foundation that hardware is on the same 2 year (or so) cycle, which by they way is speeding up.

(the basic straight law from Wiki: Moore's law is the observation that over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years)

Part two of your statement about code: agree - however writing code to the LCD (least common denominator) isn't practical.
    Not sure I agree that Moore's Law applies to software. I agree they (hardwares) are still speeding up. The problem is that our programming models are now holding us back:

http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm

New info from facebook have arrived an hour ago :

"The DDO game servers will be down Tuesday, October 30th from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for a hotfix to address Mabar festival issues. After the hotfix, the festival will resume at 4:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). Thank you for your patience!"

Well, let's hope this won't change due to Sandy.

Was getting ingame warnings about downtime coming up about 30 minutes ago (when I logged out). Was scheduled for 11.00 am eastern which I believe was 20 minutes ago.

Are you saying this downtime was pulled and has been postponed? *confused*
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBob View Post
    Was getting ingame warnings about downtime coming up about 30 minutes ago (when I logged out). Was scheduled for 11.00 am eastern which I believe was 20 minutes ago.

if it did its because of sandy that it was pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    Ok, so, let me get this straight: mabar has problems. We ask: what the hell is going on? Then, a guy from QA explains what the issue is, and why it wasn't caught on lama, and the forumites' answer is to attack the dev and treat him like an idiot for giving us info that WE had asked him? Seriously.

Maybe, but you're not alone in that.
    I second that. All the negative remarks make me wonder why some of you still play. If you think it (DDO) sucks that much then quit playing the game already!
    Last edited by Meldolen; 10-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    Many companies use very old software and only upgrade when there is a compelling need, not because something new is out. I work for AT&T, an obviously huge tech company, and the main databases are running off programs made in the early 80's, still using the old vx100 interface. In many instances, the only change has been a GUI and the machine it runs on.
    Agree - you REALLY don't want to see the eclectic collection of software we run at work - and we are a fortune 100 company. Some is as old as the Korean War with as you say minor non-gui interface changes, and some is cutting edge multimonitor touch screen interfaces.

Usually companies go with what works, what is bulletproof when it comes to critical systems, and sometimes even custom depending upon need and availability.

AT&T uses h/s ware that is proven, and the sheer amount of resources needed to upgrade from that is mind boggling - look how long it took to upgrade from analog to digital switches? Is it even done yet?

The fact is that most h/s ware doesn't just become obsolete - except in one or two areas (and there are always exceptions) - and gaming tech is such.

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Desdain View Post
    Not sure I agree that Moore's Law applies to software. I agree they (hardwares) are still speeding up. The problem is that our programming models are now holding us back:

http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm
    Agree - and this paradigm shift is just another of a long series of paradigm shifts. Goes to support my basic point - DDO is a old (relative term) engine with many new bells and whistles MacGyvered into working together by dedicated creative people. Sometimes the duct tape comes off in unexpected places.

Kinda like how I imagine the internet - nobody knows exactly how data gets from point a to point b and beyond (physically that is). Oh sure we know some, but there are still stretches of mil-net cabling still working and nobody truely knows where that wire (held together with bailing twine and bubble gum, hopes dreams wishes, blood tears and lagmonsters) is.

Hero
    2015 Movember Hero

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBob View Post

They must have gone through with it. My client is updating atm. Not sure if I'll be able to log into a server yet.

EDIT: Yeah, servers are back up already.
    Last edited by Marupal; 10-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desdain View Post
    That's ok, I have this handy can of Frobozz spray-on grue repellent.
    LOL! Nice.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

ok i also am confused.. is mabar going to be up today or not?
    Proud Member Of the Guildless Guild.

Littlefoot / Jayne / Dukkie / Windowlicker / Hippychick / Merrada

Community Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    ok i also am confused.. is mabar going to be up today or not?
    Mabar just went online in the Cannith Server. Can't Speak for other servers though. Everyone please feel free to post an update about if it's online for the other servers. I know we are all /deathing to get an update.
    Last edited by Derysma; 10-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Default Just did first Orion server dragon fight

The dragon raid is a joke. Half of my preformed raid got in together very cool. Now for the bad the dragon spawns in my section nobody can move. We attack it with serious lagg around the area, nobody can move. A mob appears in front of me, nobody can heal including myself, i watch myself tick to death and nothing can be done. Then they start trying to rez but since nobody can move the cast rezzes arent going thru. I time out of fight from being dead get ejected and of course we lost but im aloso out my key.

So the suggestion: Change it so that if you dont win you get your key back; lagging us out so nobody can heal or rez and then being forced out and having lost the key on top of that is a really poor mechanism.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

And now the formal announcement: The Mabar Festival of Endless Night is now available! Click here for our guide to the event in the DDO Compendium! Also, Click here for special Mabar related items.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    AT&T uses h/s ware that is proven, and the sheer amount of resources needed to upgrade from that is mind boggling - look how long it took to upgrade from analog to digital switches? Is it even done yet?
    Glad to hear maybar is up. Hopefully the lag will be in check when I get on.

As for ATT, yes, we still have analog switches in service. That is 30+ year old equipment.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast