Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fundamental View Post
    What really astounds me is that they left people un-informed for hours; and still have not said when the festival will be back up, just pointing vaguely at this week.

All that fancy talk of yours is nice but if they aren't able to fix a festival, or make it work, the other guy is right; they should get another job, plain and simple.
    And they aren't working under a smoking gun at all, they have had almost an entire week to fix this now.

Turbine used to stand for quality and justness for their fans.
    Now Turbine stands for 50/50 half baked products, store items and above all not letting their players know anything.

Do you know why they won't put a date down?

Here's why: People will hold them to that date, and crucify them if they're even the slightest bit off, plus or minus.

If they're off on the plus side, it'll be "You lied to us about how long it would really take, and kept it down more than you needed to! Turbine is scum!"

If they're off on the negative side, it'll be "Why did it take you longer than you said? Did you have to let the coding monkeys rest their paws? Turbine is garbage!"

Developers, game designers, and programmers in general learned a long time ago that putting a set date in stone on something being done is just an invitation for abuse. That's why many of them simply won't do it anymore, until their product is ready to ship.

Still glad this isn't active yet. I got about a million and a half xp this weekend on my TR.

HURRY THE HELL UP AND PUT MABAR ON I'M GETTING IMPATIENT!

It's my first mabar event ever, I have a dark monk and there was good things being said about this event and the gear offerd during the event, well now I really want to take part in this damn event, you had all year to make sure there was no problems with Mabar.. dafuq. Also I'd like to say I'm paying for VIP membership and I did not pay for my classes/races, 32 point build + all of my tomes and pets/companions, if I'm paying for VIP membership I expect you to have these kind of updates prepared and ready to go with no complications, I was given so much good advice and was told by many to drop a day off work so I could join them with this mabar event so I did.. 5 damn minutes and poof it's gone, I'm not a happy man right now, you should have this **** under control, I dread to think how long it will take you to get this and many of the future updates correct with no complications, when it's fixed.. don't even try updating mabar with more stuff because you'll only break it and will have to fix it again next year jeez, I've had my rant ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldraven View Post

Here's why: People will hold them to that date, and crucify them if they're even the slightest bit off, plus or minus.

If they're off on the plus side, it'll be "You lied to us about how long it would really take, and kept it down more than you needed to! Turbine is scum!"

If they're off on the negative side, it'll be "Why did it take you longer than you said? Did you have to let the coding monkeys rest their paws? Turbine is garbage!"

Developers, game designers, and programmers in general learned a long time ago that putting a set date in stone on something being done is just an invitation for abuse. That's why many of them simply won't do it anymore, until their product is ready to ship.

i agree most of the time but last week was a total ball drop {like there new england football team in the last 2 superbowls} i mean no mabar, renown fix was broken after 2 days and no communication equals a pr nightmere. i mean my guild and I was looking forward to the first festival since well
    ever to grind out and enjoy at the same time not bleed renown and what we got was no fix date renown rolled back and a bunch of mad people and the lack of communication is what is really bad the renown rollback hasnt even had a line of a simply address and mabar has no fix date

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desdain View Post
    OOP and accessors have absolutely nothing to do with this bug. Nor does their use prohibit changing the value of some variable in memory. The server is written in C++. This means they have pointers, which means they can access anywhere in memory and change values.
    again, shows the level of professionalism.
    i code under delphi, i heavily use pointer arithmethik and direct memory access and still i route this stuff through propper methods, cos a bug WILL happen, and then u dont know from where in the code that access came from and then u have a headache. route it through a method, call the method and u can always backtrace from where the call came, u can always add debugg code to log stuff, cos its always the same point in code where the actual memory access happens.

If u dont understand this concept, sorry big fail.
    U cant make code bugless, its impossible. if u cant do that, u change how u write code to make bughunting easy, to make code refactoring easy, to make it easy in general to maintain code.

Noone in real life would allow, that several ppl have access to order stuff in an office. cos then things are ordered twice, or are never ordered cos guy a thought guy b is doing it. u encapsulate it, designate 1 guy, and if ppl in office need spomething they come to ths guy.
    WHY do u think its ok to do this behavior in coding!????

Quote Originally Posted by Oldraven View Post

Nicely spoken and sure, people are tough but let´s not forget that´s why there is a forum here. To discuss. I disagree with the rest fully as I said in my earlier post.

A. None of this would have happened, with a preview weekend, day. They have done it last year why not do it this year if you have changed the festival too knowingly all the things you said above.

B. This is why live tests are needed. It´s perfectly fair for us to complain, after Turbine has said the festival will be back up this and then date. And failed, miserably. Am I being harsh here, yes but we have to keep it interesting in here don´t we.

C. If they would be that sure of what you said, they would not have said it´s gonna be back up.

D. This is simply, lack of understanding of live servers, again, lack of testing a huge event.

Conclusion. Whoever is at fault, this forum is intended for people to express whatever opinions and it´s perfectly fine to bash around a bit, no one will be hurt with it and it might get the game the push it needs again.
    MD Interactive www.youtube.com/michieldankmeijer
    Subscribe & Follow To Stay Tuned!
    Afteristar & Empha on Ghallanda

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    It is not performance, it is load. There are certain things that change in the world when multiple (many multiples) touch them. It is not a static binary environment.
    I said it before, sometimes the mushrooms in the red fens break doors. There are deltas in the game that are just hard to predict. You have to look at care taking an MMO more like biology than computer science. For example in biology, you can have a bat with a disease living in harmony for 1000 years with everything around it, but add some horses, and those horses become an amplifier for the disease and suddenly people are dying.
    There are times this is what testing older MMO's is like. Why are the Giants kobolds, but not on every world? Oh it is not the giants, it's the landblock really, making a call that shouldn't matter and it always has--since the beginning of DDO, a variable that can change by players, but now it is being temperamental. How do you predict that. The poor designer or programmer saw no issues directly with what they did. They just added a new variable to the potpurri of Forgotten EbberRealms. And boom.
    For taking the time to post this - and please nevermind the kobolds yelling at you.

In real life - as in all things there are always unforeseen circumstances. To quote Murphy's Law (abbrev.):
    If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible time causing the greatest amount of inconvenience.

Couple of notes: You cannot try to sidestep or avoid Murphy; because as the ancient Greeks believed about Fate - to try to avoid only made it worse (ie added more variables and complications that would interact and multiply the issues).

Kindly note the word 'inconvenience' - everyone's characters are just fine (if not better due to the 31% and new kobold tales) - nobody lost a limb or life because Mabar was postphoned; and so on.

Finally - as every trouble shooter, detective, and programer knows - the more times something repeats, the easier it is to find the root cause. Enough iterations of 'why' and finally the root cause, which was so mysterious before, self illuminates and nearly auto-destructs. This kobold infestation brings us one step closer to a solution. That should be in everyone's understanding as a win.

What we should be more concerned about is the propagation effect of this and any major bug. What I mean by this is there is a major update scheduled for mere weeks away. Resources have been diverted to rounding up all those Kobolds and Mushroom Doors that were being used, or are supposed to be used on the update and other projects. All hands on deck is a phrase we use correctly where I work - but it also applies here. So what isn't getting done . fixed . repaired . polished . ad nauseum that would have done because resources have been applied here. There are only so many resources, and how will this affect us in the near future?

In any case I have been playing this game since beta. I have been playing DnD PnP since chainmail. I will continue to play this game for the foreseeable future because even with the lagmonster, the kobold infestations, the myriad of other issues, it is a fun and enjoyable game that is brought to us by passionate and competent professionals. DDO has a personality and soul that is integral (albiet sometimes annoying) part of the experience. If you don't like this - go kindly find another game; betcha Baba Yaga's hut that you will find very apparent bugs. Heck just look at all those patches for Mac OX, Solaris, Win, etc.

Just my two electrums of opinion
    Last edited by UurlockYgmeov; 10-29-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gvexo View Post
    HURRY THE HELL UP AND PUT MABAR ON I'M GETTING IMPATIENT!

It's my first mabar event ever, I have a dark monk and there was good things being said about this event and the gear offerd during the event, well now I really want to take part in this damn event, you had all year to make sure there was no problems with Mabar.. dafuq. Also I'd like to say I'm paying for VIP membership and I did not pay for my classes/races, 32 point build + all of my tomes and pets/companions, if I'm paying for VIP membership I expect you to have these kind of updates prepared and ready to go with no complications, I was given so much good advice and was told by many to drop a day off work so I could join them with this mabar event so I did.. 5 damn minutes and poof it's gone, I'm not a happy man right now, you should have this **** under control, I dread to think how long it will take you to get this and many of the future updates correct with no complications, when it's fixed.. don't even try updating mabar with more stuff because you'll only break it and will have to fix it again next year jeez, I've had my rant ugh.
    nice rant lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    As soon as we know more about when Mabar will return, we'll let you know.
    I hope Sandy doesn't disrupt your work too much.
    Inferus Sus Thelanis; Primary Bodies:
    Adamantbody, Brassbody, Carbonbody, Ironbody, Uraniumbody
    Body Designer: Bodybuilder 20 Artificer

Quote Originally Posted by Fundamental View Post
    Nicely spoken and sure, people are tough but let´s not forget that´s why there is a forum here. To discuss. I disagree with the rest fully as I said in my earlier post.

A. None of this would have happened, with a preview weekend, day. They have done it last year why not do it this year if you have changed the festival too knowingly all the things you said above.

B. This is why live tests are needed. It´s perfectly fair for us to complain, after Turbine has said the festival will be back up this and then date. And failed, miserably. Am I being harsh here, yes but we have to keep it interesting in here don´t we.

C. If they would be that sure of what you said, they would not have said it´s gonna be back up.

D. This is simply, lack of understanding of live servers, again, lack of testing a huge event.

Conclusion. Whoever is at fault, this forum is intended for people to express whatever opinions and it´s perfectly fine to bash around a bit, no one will be hurt with it and it might get the game the push it needs again.
    I totally agree with you, and about the live tests you mentioned on B.. I thought that was the beta test, you know the beta bullcrap they mention on the vip page on the website, beta access or something? I thought that was for updates, so they could throw the update out and only vip's could access the content for beta testing to see if it was good for the other players then the VIP members could come onto the forums and then tell turbine if there's any problems with it and what the problems were.. then when it's released to all the non VIP's there will be no problems and we can all be happy with no "update on the 25th" 5 mins bang.. no mabar, it's not fair =/.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    For taking the time to post this - and please nevermind the kobolds yelling at you.

In real life - as in all things there are always unforeseen circumstances. To quote Murphy's Law (abbrev.):
    If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong at the worst possible time causing the greatest amount of inconvenience.

Couple of notes: You cannot try to sidestep or avoid Murphy; because as the ancient Greeks believed about Fate - to try to avoid only made it worse (ie added more variables and complications that would interact and multiply the issues).

Kindly note the word 'inconvenience' - everyone's characters are just fine (if not better due to the 31% and new kobold tales) - nobody lost a limb or life because Mabar was postphoned; and so on.

Finally - as every trouble shooter, detective, and programer knows - the more times something repeats, the easier it is to find the root cause. Enough iterations of 'why' and finally the root cause, which was so mysterious before, self illuminates and nearly auto-destructs. This kobold infestation brings us one step closer to a solution. That should be in everyone's understanding as a win.

What we should be more concerned about is the propagation effect of this and any major bug. What I mean by this is there is a major update scheduled for mere weeks away. Resources have been diverted to rounding up all those Kobolds and Mushroom Doors that was been used, or is supposed to be used on this and other projects. All hands on deck is a phrase we use correctly where I work - but it also applies here. So what isn't getting done . fixed . done . polished . ad nauseum that would have done because resources have been applied here. There are only so many resources, and how will this affect us in the near future?

In any case I have been playing this game since beta. I have been playing DnD PnP since chainmail. I will continue to play this game for the foreseeable future because even with the lagmonster, the kobold infestations, the myriad of other issues, it is a fun and enjoyable game that is brought to us by passionate and competent professionals. DDO has a personality and soul that is integral (albiet sometimes annoying) part of the experience. If you don't like this - go kindly find another game; betcha Baba Yaga's hut that you will find very apparent bugs. Heck just look at all those patches for Mac OX, Solaris, Win, etc.

Just my two electrums of opinion
    If you have successfully organized an event, last year with a preview day or two.
    And then the upcoming year, willingly change that event and not testing it with a preview weekend not knowing it will work on live servers, is simply poor man´s work.
    That has nothing, not one procent to do with code.
    It has to do with logic and implementation of the game as a whole.

To sum in up in two words.

Preview day.

The same reason why you see a Preview Post button on this forum. To double check if the post is reasonable.
    Conclusion if it works, don´t fix or change it, or be a smart...

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Just another update just in case power issues snipe our ability to post about it...

So we are still trying to get the hotfix for the festival prepared for this week, though repro of the issue has been difficult, and now the storm is within threat range of us... apparently it has reach. While many of us have been instructed by officials to stay home to avoid an attack of opportunity from Sandy, we are still able to perform work on the hotfix. However...

I want to prepare folks that depending on how bad things get here, the storm has the potential to interrupt our hotfix attempts. If that were to happen, applying the fix might occur day of (or even after) Halloween. We would like the hotfix to be ready in time for Halloween day. We are monitoring weather conditions and continue to work until one of three things happens: we confirm the fix works and can deploy it, flooding forces evacuation (at this time this is unlikely), or Sandy eats power at our homes (the most pressing concern at the moment). Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Community Member

How about a "5x rewards day" or something, to help make up for lost time?
    Ingame: Lazertron / Calyad / Model XVII / Placebo Effecct / Shiinobii / Jerronicus

No cybering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Just another update just in case power issues snipe our ability to post about it...

So we are still trying to get the hotfix for the festival prepared for this week, though repro of the issue has been difficult, and now the storm is within threat range of us... apparently it has reach. While many of us have been instructed by officials to stay home to avoid an attack of opportunity from Sandy, we are still able to perform work on the hotfix. However...

I want to prepare folks that depending on how bad things get here, the storm has the potential to interrupt our hotfix attempts. If that were to happen, applying the fix might occur day of (or even after) Halloween. We would like the hotfix to be ready in time for Halloween day. We are monitoring weather conditions and continue to work until one of three things happens: we confirm the fix works and can deploy it, flooding forces evacuation (at this time this is unlikely), or Sandy eats power at our homes (the most pressing concern at the moment). Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
    A day after halloween you say? then in that case what's the point in putting it up atall =/

If Sandy's coming, just stay away, I herd that b**** bites hard

Edit: "Thank you for your patience" Yeah.. okay, as you can probably see I'm not very patient =_=.
    Last edited by Gvexo; 10-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Community Member

Hey guys, just stay safe for now - this is a game, and it'll be here when Sandy has blown through.

My character names all start with Wick. I've been playing since 2006, you should know me by now.

This is why last year and the years before succesfull previews of such a huge event or events were set up.
    Let this be a small lesson for the upcoming festivals and events.
    Do not mess with a working method from years and years of experience.
    Test day on the live servers then after a week or two the real live event launch.
    Hope everything goes well there and best of luck to you all ofcourse and better to be safe then sorry, but it sounds like it we won´t get any festival this year by reading this to be honest all of this could have been easily avoided.

Any other time, I'd snipe at Turbine on fixing game code, etc.

Having grown up in the South and dealing with these - forget that - get out, stay safe.

I need you back here healthy and safe so I can dog you out later

I reserve the balance of my time for later sniping.

So we are still trying to get the hotfix for the festival prepared for this week, though repro of the issue has been difficult, and now the storm is within threat range of us... apparently it has reach. While many of us have been instructed by officials to stay home to avoid an attack of opportunity from Sandy, we are still able to perform work on the hotfix... [snip]
    The update is definitely appreciated. As a developer I feel your pain. And we know y'all are committed to getting the event underway at some point, so it's all good. The weather is unfortunately adding a bizarre complication of historic proportions. At least y'all aren't in NJ... those people are (already) getting thrashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gvexo View Post
    A day after halloween you say? then in that case what's the point in putting it up atall =/

If Sandy's coming, just stay away, I herd that b**** bites hard

Edit: "Thank you for your patience" Yeah.. okay, as you can probably see I'm not very patient =_=.
    Wow, you really need to get a grip on yourself. Go out and trick or treat on halloween or something, since you seem to be in that age range.

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast