Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fingers itching

Hybrid View

Community Member

Default fingers itching

Kind of tempted to log on and play, casually, not hardcore.

Have a toon I never actually played.

Has access to plenty of gear, has the completionist feat and plently of other PLs to boot.

This is the first time I ask for a build. What I d like is a non frontline toon, something that can be played laid back. Was thinking an allaround support type, that doesnt need to shine.

So ye basically I want a piking toon, that can do stuff if needed, just because I know I couldnt stand doing nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?
    ~~~ R E V E N A N T S ~~~
    Ayspam Life #27/27(Completionist Sorc), Aycare Life #10/10(Evoker FvS), Ayplink Life #22/22(Completionist to be decided), Aygo Life #14/14(Helvesbarian)

Hey Ayspam great to see you wanting to get back into the game.

My vote personally would go to what is currently the flavor of the season, which is the monkcher.

You probably know about it already, so I won't go into too much detail at the moment. I am enjoying the 12 monk/ 6 ranger/ 2 artificer variant for the full umd capabilities, however as a completionist and having arti past lives you could probably hit full umd with the 2 fighter variant.

This is my favorite character at the moment, where if I want I can just plink away from the side lines, be support scroll healing, have great cc in the form of pin, otoo's whistler, nerve venom, shiradi procs, or alchemical bow procs.

With being able to self buff to 850hp I have also tanked LoB on eH and scroll healed myself against Horoth on hard. Not that these are overly difficult tasks, but if I am in pug I know I can take care of it, but I won't be tanking LoB EE anytime soon.

If you want more details let me know.
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

You thought about a bard of some kind? Whether you make 'em dance or compete with the fighters for kills, there tends to be a lot less pressure on you once you've given the haste and the songs. You can also customize your way into different roles (healbot, nuking*, dc casting*, melee) by switching epic destinies, and it actually works.

* if you're a cha build
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Why not try a Wizard18/Monk2?

Made mine a necro focused full blown caster with semi-decent melee abilities. You get a full caster stuff, evasion, insane reflex saves.

Went human; Max INT, 16 STR and CON; with THF, PA and all the other caster feats to get lich form, SP and GSP, only thing I couldn't fit in was extend. Till lvl 6 you're a monk, then you start playing a caster, powerhouse till 12, stumble trough 12-14 untill you get wraith form and then you're a demigod (evasion works wonders, self healing and necro kicks in, and you can pike your way to victory). And as a /2 monk you don't get arsed to do traps as a /2 rogue.

I tend to whack stuff with a Dreamspitter when I feel like piking or conserving mana, or go instakiller when I feel like contributing. You prolly have some epic staves that up the melee dps a bit and I reckon Sireth would be pretty awesome on this build.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Ayspamm, I have a Bard / Rogue /Arti and I have to say I have lots of fun with it. I pew pew from the back,
    buff with songs, heal a bit, disarm traps, go melee with the Greataxe when things get boring. A Jack of all Trades, not maxed in anything, but really very fun to play.

I would take quite a lot of levels as a Bard, some rogue, 1 lvl arti, but with your experience, I am sure you will think about something better.
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

Community Member

I d like something I dont have already. Meaning I have a ranged/melee capable toon (Aygo), caster (Ayspam), evoker (Ayheal) so I m looking for a jack of all trades sort of thing. I like the ideas you guys gave except the wiz/monk.

I was thinking about a druid monk split, but havent really sat down and thought about it.

The artificer splash thing sound fun too, as does the monkcher, and some sort of bard splash.

I think that toon has 3 of all caster lives and 2 of melees incl ranger not sure on that. Rogue and bard probably only 1.

Keep the ideas coming please
    Ayspam Life #27/27(Completionist Sorc), Aycare Life #10/10(Evoker FvS), Ayplink Life #22/22(Completionist to be decided), Aygo Life #14/14(Helvesbarian)

Jack of all trades options ...

Repeater using bard (Bard 14 / Arti 6)
    Melee Rogue/Fighter/Bard virtuoso
    Melee artificer (THF bastard sword)

Virtuosos are under-appreciated. A Rogue-split Virt can dance just about anyone at all, for instance, and do all the traps.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I think the past lives scream for a caster druid and if you are going to splash I would only do 2 monk. Earthquake is 1 of the best cc in EE in the game atm.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

Quote Originally Posted by ayspam View Post

So THAT's who bought that DDO account that was on Ebay last week!

(j/k...)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

go bard. it doesn't really even matter what build. do what pleases you. with a bard icon, you sing your little songs, cast a few buffs, and the rest of the group is happy as pie. anything you do, or don't do, beyond that most groups could care less. you can contribute as much or as little as you so chose from that point on.
    Last edited by katz; 10-25-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: misread the OP

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    go bard. it doesn't really even matter what build. do what pleases you. with a bard icon, you sing your little songs, cast a few buffs, and the rest of the group is happy as pie. anything you do, or don't do, beyond that most groups could care less. you can contribute as much or as little as you so chose from that point on.
    This.

Human 18 FvS / 2 Artificer with light-based Runearms, Radiance Guard GS, Shoulder Cannon and amped up Light Enhancements

I'm playing this on my 8th life caster right now (15th level at the moment), and it's quite interesting. Evoker FvS and Arty already play similar (BB spam) so it's not a big stretch. Just go with a 16dex (+3tome) and pure WIS with Zen Archery, throw the rest in CON with a splash into STR/CHA. Being a completionist you have even more options, and it works with your chracter name (I'm assuming this is for Ayplink).

With all the caster PLs you don't have to stress putting feats into Spell Pen, SF: Evoc, and the like, so you can focus on your Quicken/Emp/Max BBs and Imp Precise Shot for your repeater.

I'd never attempt something like this without a good batch of gear/PLs behind it, but I enjoy it.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Something terrifying like a Rogue Dilettante H-Elf 6 Arti (Insightful Damage) / 7 Druid (Reaving Roar) / 7 Bard (Warchanter for less awful songs) is probably pure gimpage, but this thread had far too many good suggestions already.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

I'm going to say 'clonk' just because Nick used to laugh at mine all the time

What about a variant of pally or ranger? I am genuinely curious if you can start out with something that is currently in the gimp end of the pool and make it work - even better make it awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Something terrifying like a Rogue Dilettante H-Elf 6 Arti (Insightful Damage) / 7 Druid (Reaving Roar) / 7 Bard (Warchanter for less awful songs) is probably pure gimpage, but this thread had far too many good suggestions already.
    And you mister, what was your latest atrocity that you were gleefully anticipating many pug rejections from? Suggest that to Ay? Anyone who knows the name 'Aggrim' though is going to accept you just 'cos.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Mel provoked me.

The RNGmonster:
    1 Fighter / 6 Artificer / 13 Wizard Shiradi Champion Evocation Archmage

Human:
    STR 8
    DEX 16
    CON 16
    INT 18 (+ 3 Tome, +6 Level-Ups, +2 Ship, +1 Exc, +3 Insight, + 4 Enh, +1 Profane, +8 Item, +2 Completionist) = 48
    WIS 8
    CHA 8

1 - Artificer 1 Toughness, Empower
    2 - Artificer 2
    3 - Artificer 3 Completionist (If you're not a Completionist, go with a Barb level instead of the Fighter level and take PL: Wiz here, with IPS at 21.)
    4 - Artificer 4 Maximize
    5 - Artificer 5
    6 - Artificer 6 Point Blank Shot
    7 - Wizard 1 SF: Evocation
    8 - Wizard 2
    9 - Wizard 3 Mental Toughness <-- Archmage Pre-req
    10 - Wizard 4
    11 - Wizard 5 Quicken
    12 - Wizard 6 GSF: Evocation
    13 - Wizard 7
    14 - Wizard 8
    15 - Wizard 9 IC: Ranged
    16 - Wizard 10 Enlarge <-- must-have on this build imo
    17 - Wizard 11
    18 - Wizard 12 Precise Shot
    19 - Fighter 1 Improved Precise Shot
    20 - Wizard 13
    21 PL: Wizard
    24 ESF: Evocation

ED:
    Shiradi - Prism + Rainbow + Double Rainbow + Whatever.
    Twists - Tier 2 +2 Evoc Draconic, Tier 2 +3 Evoc Magister, Tier 3 [Echoes of Magister's +1 Int frees up the trinket slot from Litany] but whatever.

Evocation DC on Prismatic Spray:
    Base 10 + Spell Level 7 + Int 19 + Sorc PLs 3 + Feats 4 + Item 2 + ED Twists 5 + Archmage (because you are a terrible wizard who doesn't even qualify for Archmage II) 1 = 51

SR:
    Wiz Levels 13 + Nothing 0 = 13.

This firmly places Orthons in the vale explorer area into the too-hard basket.

Playstyle:
    Cast Chain Missiles and Magic Missiles a lot. Use Prismatic Spray sometimes for CC and Instakill (Ahahahaha. Seriously though.). Fusillade occasionally.

The big reasons I TRed out of this are:

1) That Double Rainbow doesn't proc on rune arm blasts, meaning spamming tier 1 Toven's 2 blasty things does not compensate for a lack of meteor swarm. <-- BUG?

2) The SLAs go on cooldown when you cast regular chain missiles or magic missile (but the regular spell does not go on cooldown when you cast the SLA meaning it's not utterly useless). It's my suspicion that Sorc is faster with the exact same spells. <-- BUG?

3) I had a wiz icon and people kept randomly expecting CC and insta-kills. "Like whatever man, I'm doing my own thing." made me lots of people's friend.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Druids feel completely unlike any other kind of character that I've played in DDO.

I don't mean that in a bad way about druids or other character types; you mentioned that you wanted a different play experience, though, and a druid seems very likely to provide that.

Play them for the goodberries, if for no other reason.

Community Member
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.

Roll a pure 20 wf sorc. Then we can grind out destiny xp for days on end and get the new loots at same time.

Nevermind misread OP.
    Teth - Revenants

Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xTethx View Post
    Roll a pure 20 wf sorc. Then we can grind out destiny xp for days on end and get the new loots at same time.

Nevermind misread OP.
    I LRd my druid into a 18/2 monk split it s fun, but i m ok to TR when I get home if I ever get home from this place.

Currently in Niagara Falls

Default bard

I would propose a bard of any flavor using the half elf race. Sing your songs buff if anyone sticks around and from that point on just jump into every battle and /dance or /taunt. Hell, if things go pear shaped im sure you can pull the group through without much to do. And, if possible pipe in some music ( i think thats doable and would be preferable to the abundance of mouth breathers out there). Im thinkin franks dancin fool would be appropriate and would likely make you some new friends to boot.

Ì don't know much about dancin', that's why I got this song
    One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long
    'Course now right along with 'em, I got no natural rhythm
    But I go dancin' every night, hopin' one day I might get it right
    I'm a dancin' fool (Dancin' fool)
    I'm a dancin' fool
    I'm a dancin' fool (Dancin' fool)
    I'm a dancin' fool
    I hear that beat, I jump outa my seat
    But I can't compete 'cause I'm a dancin' fool (Dancin' fool)
    I'm a dancin' fool

just a thought cause no one notices what the bard does

laz

Quote Originally Posted by ayspam View Post

Has access to plenty of gear, has the completionist feat and plently of other PLs to boot.
    Amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast