Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Community Member GeoBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wayward Lobster
    Posts
    79

    Default The Overpowered Gimpiness of them All

    Ever since u14 and EDs came out, PvP has been fun and not fun for different people. Epic Destinies can make the tables turn in the favor of melees in PvP, if they are the only ones using them. Sadly they do not and all casters seem to do now (at least on Thelanis) is spam all of their ED stuff and will pretty much own the entire PvP w.out much difficulty.

    I Believe that Public PvP should have things like EDs and the such turned OFF in placed like the Wayward Lobster, and the Phoenix Tavern. However, when you join private PvP matches they should be enabled and usable. Also, i think that Turbine should put a little more effort into improving the PvP system, and start putting more effort into the system that other games use. Where you talk to the NPC, and they hook you up with a group of people similar to your class. DDO has this system, but nobody uses it. Just keep this stuff in mind Turbine, might attract more players if there was a better PvP system.
    Thelanis Server
    Empazio~Srandril~Gimpazio
    Member of Eternal Infinity

  2. #2
    Community Member Jaid314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    or alternately, you can go to any of the billion other MMOs that focus on PvP. there's tons of games that focus on the PvP aspect, and repeatedly buff or nerf things based on how effective they are in that area. PvP in DDO is something you do just because you feel like it. balancing for PvP when the game has an extremely large fan base that plays it for the PvE may or may not attract more people (i doubt it... as i said, there's no shortage of PvP-focused MMOs in the market, and turbine would be competing with all of them), but it will almost certainly alienate their existing fan base.

    given a choice between driving away the majority of the customers that they currently have by trying to cater to a new group of customers that may or may not ever show up, or just sticking with what they know already works and at least keeps their current fans paying (happy would be an overstatement :P ), well... frankly, i think they'd be crazy to choose to completely change their target demographic after spending 6 years developing everything the way they have.

  3. #3
    Community Member Saravis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    So you want to remove the best that a class can have? If you keep going with that line of thinking, you'll be fighting as level 1s in tutorial gear.

    Anyway PvP is fine the way it is, it exists and that's all it needs.

  4. #4
    Uber Completionist Ilindith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    The usual "people are killing me I don't like this" stuff eh.

    And no, they should never, ever put time on the PVP system because this is not a PVP game.
    Distributed - Currently on life 72.

  5. #5
    Community Member barberous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    bowraville - australia
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post

    And no, they should never, ever put time on the PVP system because this is not a PVP game.
    this is exactly right,well said
    DEATH IS A STATE OF MIND
    love life - love the game
    barberous
    OFFICER OFDARKBREW

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    599

    Default this

    this


    Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    or alternately, you can go to any of the billion other MMOs that focus on PvP. there's tons of games that focus on the PvP aspect, and repeatedly buff or nerf things based on how effective they are in that area. PvP in DDO is something you do just because you feel like it. balancing for PvP when the game has an extremely large fan base that plays it for the PvE may or may not attract more people (i doubt it... as i said, there's no shortage of PvP-focused MMOs in the market, and turbine would be competing with all of them), but it will almost certainly alienate their existing fan base.

    given a choice between driving away the majority of the customers that they currently have by trying to cater to a new group of customers that may or may not ever show up, or just sticking with what they know already works and at least keeps their current fans paying (happy would be an overstatement :P ), well... frankly, i think they'd be crazy to choose to completely change their target demographic after spending 6 years developing everything the way they have.
    RTFM on Khyber

  7. #7
    Community Member MrChipinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Not Russia
    Posts
    151

    Default

    My "someone said something about PvP being poorly done and balanced past U9" senses were tingling, and I came'a runnin'.
    Thal and co.

  8. #8
    Hero rdasca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Left of Center
    Posts
    684

    Default

    OP you will get pretty much no sympathy here, PvP is not a concept that translates to D&D very well, and as such does not translate to DDO.

    As others have said there are 100's of MMOs that do PvP, some better than others; however, PvP in DDO is an afterthought, and should at best remain that way.

    So you have a few of choices regarding your PvP fix:

    1. You can play DDO and when the PvP mood strikes you find another game that has the kind of PvP you like.
    2. You can only PvP with people that have your exact build and gear, this way it will be "fair".
    3. You can forget about PvP altogether and play the game you logged into.

    There are of course other options, but one of the above should get you pointed in the right direction.

    And oh yeah, not even one programming second should ever be spent on PvP unless that time is used to either turn it off completely or used to make an island somewhere far away in the game with a teleport guy in the harbor that sends the PvPers to it, and get it out of the taverns completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

  9. #9
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,438

    Default

    I do not like PvP.

    But I would not mind improving it. (if it does not effect the rest of the game)

    However, taking abilities away from people is not improving it.

    All abilities should be useful in PvP. (I'm looking at you stealth skills)

    and "the pits" are just stupid.

    I have no sympathy for anyone who jumps in a pit, beats up lvl one guys... and then complains when someone else kills him with something he cannot figure out how to defend against.

    Standing in the middle of a room and asking people to try to kill you... is... well... just asking to get killed by someone.

    and then they come to the forums and /beg to have some attack removed from PvP... so they can go stand there again and /flex that no one can kill them.

    uhmmm.... nope. No sympathy.
    no Dev time should ever be invested in "fixing" the pits.

    other parts of PvP... improving... maybe.
    Improving by letting every ability work. So every build can have a chance to use his powers tactically... smartly... to win a match of some sort.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 11-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  10. #10
    Community Member Diroctive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    188

    Default

    It seems the majority of the people that post in PVP are there to derail threads by droning on about how DDO is not a PVP game. "DDO is not a PVP game" is a standard response to every single thread in this section of forums. It's a bit like going to to beach to complain about how much you don't like sand.
    Happy now, you crush kobold dreams?

    Stranger than Fiction on Argonnessen
    Tangere - Diroctive - Kendrio - Leucocyte - Merkadist - Perpetuate - Razorbot

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    The usual "people are killing me I don't like this" stuff eh.

    And no, they should never, ever put time on the PVP system because this is not a PVP game.
    ^^^This

  12. #12

    Default

    Kinda makes me vision a guy walking into an alley and a thug jumps out at him.

    He sees the thug has a pipe and says,

    "Hey God! That guy has a pipe and I don't! Take his pipe away, it's not fair!"

  13. #13
    Hero rdasca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Left of Center
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diroctive View Post
    It seems the majority of the people that post in PVP are there to derail threads by droning on about how DDO is not a PVP game. "DDO is not a PVP game" is a standard response to every single thread in this section of forums. It's a bit like going to to beach to complain about how much you don't like sand.
    No, PvPers in DDO are more like a person going to mountains and complaining there are no white sandy beaches.

    People come in this forum to post their ideas about PvP in DDO, pro or con, the fact that the overwhelming majority are con is not a problem with people expressing their opinions, it is only a reflection of the fact most people do not want even the PvP we have, much less anything added to it or the game changed to accommodate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

  14. #14
    Community Member Mastikator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdasca View Post
    No, PvPers in DDO are more like a person going to mountains and complaining there are no white sandy beaches.

    People come in this forum to post their ideas about PvP in DDO, pro or con, the fact that the overwhelming majority are con is not a problem with people expressing their opinions, it is only a reflection of the fact most people do not want even the PvP we have, much less anything added to it or the game changed to accommodate it.
    When every suggestion- good or bad, is shot down with comments like "ZERO DEVELOPMENT TIME SPENT ON PVP PLZ" it disincentives people to make positive threads that take time and effort to construct. What you're left with are the ones that suggest vague, poorly thought out, massive changes, and those that whine. I could make several suggestions that would be easy to implement and wouldn't upset the PvE balance, as have many others, and it would be shot down without regard. It's so bad that you even need devs coming in and reminding people that exclaiming retardedly that PvP is not worth consideration is off topic and rude.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

    (Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

  15. #15
    Hero rdasca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Left of Center
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    When every suggestion- good or bad, is shot down with comments like "ZERO DEVELOPMENT TIME SPENT ON PVP PLZ" it disincentives people to make positive threads that take time and effort to construct. What you're left with are the ones that suggest vague, poorly thought out, massive changes, and those that whine. I could make several suggestions that would be easy to implement and wouldn't upset the PvE balance, as have many others, and it would be shot down without regard. It's so bad that you even need devs coming in and reminding people that exclaiming retardedly that PvP is not worth consideration is off topic and rude.
    You are of course right about most of these types of threads the OP and supporters get overrun; however, people like myself do not want time or money spent on a system that inherently has issues with not only D&D mechanics but the whole philosophy of D&D. I do not condone people getting "rude" or outright mean when responding to these post. I do know is if suggestions are made that “changes to the game” are needed to be made to accommodate PvP, I for one will not support it even passively.

    There are many more of the “whine” type post than well thought out suggestions, of course that could be said about most of the rest of the forums as well.

    You probably could make some good suggestions, heck I probably could as well, and you are free to make them and honestly I have seen one or two suggestions about PvP changes I could agree to, but 99% of the ones here in the PvP section, no way.

    Cordovan is not a dev, and has also posted about calling people names, but I get your point; however, in the case of this post, the OP calls for changes to the game and calls for more dev time to make DDO PvP "start putting more effort into the system that other games use" and the answer to that is always no IMO, this game has its issues but personally I rather like the fact it is not a carbon copy of any of the 100 plus MMOs out there.

    I get that there are those that like PvP and want more of it in DDO, I understand that they are just as likely to pay money the same as me and as such have just as much right to ask Turbine to spend that money in a certain way, but Turbine has to decide where to spend its money and if a majority of players dislike PvP then they are not going to spend a lot of time on it, and since I do not want them to, then I will post my opinion of where I would rather my money be spent or not spent as is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

  16. #16
    Founder adamkatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the US 48
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    I dont like pvp, i also dont like sand..

    ok maybe its just sand























    hmmmmm
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

  17. #17
    Community Member Ssdprref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Complete 10 ED's

    Twist Siren's Song, Chords of Disruption and Pin.

    Craft a Hell Fire crossbow.

    Go Draconic and select acid.



    Go in Pvp
    Charm
    Pin your enemy,
    Fly Attack him.
    Meteor Swarm.
    Dragon Breath.

    Congrats you can kill anything in the PVP with ANY class.
    Last edited by Ssdprref; 11-15-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Forum Commenter: I like PVP
    Forum Crowd: Boooooo!
    Forum Commenter: ...to die
    Forum Crowd: Yayyyyyyyy!

  19. #19
    Founder adamkatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the US 48
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssdprref View Post
    Complete 10 ED's

    Twist Siren's Song, Chords of Disruption and Pin.

    Craft a Hell Fire crossbow.

    Go Draconic and select acid.



    Go in Pvp
    Charm
    Pin your enemy,
    Fly Attack him.
    Meteor Swarm.
    Dragon Breath.

    Congrats you can kill anything in the PVP with ANY class.
    Charm? LoL.....
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

  20. #20
    Community Member Ssdprref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post
    Charm? LoL.....
    Siren's Song*
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload