Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Think We Are Playing Different Games

This is something that I just have to say. I see people on here and in game talking about Wizards not worrying about elemental powers and focus on force, dc, and negative spells. I see people telling new players that they absolutely have to have elementals as a favored enemy if they are playing ranger. I see others saying that drow are the worst race to play, and I just have to slap myself in the face to remove the shock of it all.

First, I've played lots of wizards both before and after prestige classes and before the newest cool things came out. Never in that six years have I ever had to give my drow wizard or any other wizard for that matter a friggin great axe! Nor have I ever eliminated any type of elemental damage spells from any of my spellboks.

Second, I'm almost a dedicated Ranger in this game. I have more of them than any other class. I've never had elementals as a favored enemy, simply because there are enough weapons in the game to do a boatload of damage to them already. My choices are nearly always undead, goblinoids, giants, aberrations, outsiders. Switching out either giants or goblinoids when I get to Eveningstar for Elf.

Lastly is the drow ****. All of my characters are drow, all of them are great in groups or solo. I have never felt gimped by the race and there have been many times I've had to carry others from the "Better Races" back to a shrine. Even in the higher levels, these guys can hold their own.

In conclusion, I see lots of people talking smack about how the game should be played, what should be played, and what is or isn't viable to play in the game. Most of which is bunk because I've played pretty much every which way you can in this game and seeing post like these just make me laugh. It also upsets me because when new players come into the game or forum and are wanting to play a specific way, a way they have chosen, they are almost immediately shunned or just outright chastised for their choices. Remember when you were the noob and didn't know how to do anything (for some of these posters that was like six months ago). Let the new people learn to play without your prejudices and help them with these as well.

/rantoff
    Last edited by vegabond1969; 10-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    If you have a group with only DPS in it and are shouting "LFM, need healer and tank"; you aren't Looking for More, you're Looking for Group.

WORD.

Play your own game. Be the character you want. Own your experience here in DDO.

WORD.
    All of us get lost in the darkness.
    Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Thanks for sharing.

Community Member

Fact of the matter is, if you're not playing the single 100% optimal thing in the game, you should just go back to Neopets. And that's the truth.

Max damage Barb 4 lyfe

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

/slow clap.

Generally, I completely agree with you. However, player>gear>build, and race is only a small facet of the least important aspect of a characters overall power but for a new player who doesn't have any resources? Build is the only thing that they can get right and, whichever way you cut it, drow are the worst choice in almost all situations.

That half-orc guy over there isn't going to beat your drow because he's a half-orc ... he's going to win because he's a good player who knows the game and has all the gear. Yes, this is a vast generalisation and "winning" is subjective in a cooperative game. However, if you're new and want to learn and hope that experienced players will show you the ropes and help you out, why wouldn't you make choices to maximise your contribution to a quest understanding that your contribution is already going to be minimal?

I love helping new people, I'll take time out to go and craft them important gear, provide advice on builds, show them how to do quests ... but it's a two way street, if there's no effort to learn the game and demonstrate that with a researched and thought out character then I don't see the reason to bother. No, this doesn't mean that every one has to be cookie cutter, flavour of the month, none of my characters are but they still work (I guess my wizard is, but he's a drow heh).

I didn't have FE: Elemental on my first ranger and it was a sore spot for me as I noticed a significant drop in my damage against them, not a must have but certainly an option.

I agree with you about wizards, I don't bother with weapons as it's too easy to get reasonable defenses (invulnerability robe) and then chain spam acid spray+burning hands until better spells come along. I have enjoyed force spec on my capped wizard as it gives me access to ice storm and meteor swarm without cold or fire enhancements (I have 7/1/1 in lightning, acid and force currently).
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

On FE

I would think gnolls would be a fine choice that no one ever seems to choose.
    Sands:gnolls
    Gianthold:gnolls
    Vale: gnolls
    Shavarath: gnolls
    IQ: has gnolls

They are freakin everywhere.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

So many subscribe to the flavor of the month that they have no idea what it even taste like.

Build to your playstyle and if your not having fun, try something else.

Community Member

@OP, i have the same conclusion as you do. I´ve heard that kind of talk for 3 years. Only reason: I´m a cleric. No one wants to play one but everyone seems to know how to play one.

Cannith was torn apart due to the things you brought up. Those 3-4 year old grudges/wounds still remain fresh to this day.

Pyreal af Templar

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vegabond1969 View Post
    This is something that I just have to say. I see people on here and in game talking about Wizards not worrying about elemental powers and focus on force, dc, and negative spells. I see people telling new players that they absolutely have to have elementals as a favored enemy if they are playing ranger. I see others saying that drow are the worst race to play, and I just have to slap myself in the face to remove the shock of it all.

First, I've played lots of wizards both before and after prestige classes and before the newest cool things came out. Never in that six years have I ever had to give my drow wizard or any other wizard for that matter a friggin great axe! Nor have I ever eliminated any type of elemental damage spells from any of my spellboks.

Second, I'm almost a dedicated Ranger in this game. I have more of them than any other class. I've never had elementals as a favored enemy, simply because there are enough weapons in the game to do a boatload of damage to them already. My choices are nearly always undead, goblinoids, giants, aberrations, outsiders. Switching out either giants or goblinoids when I get to Eveningstar for Elf.

Lastly is the drow ****. All of my characters are drow, all of them are great in groups or solo. I have never felt gimped by the race and there have been many times I've had to carry others from the "Better Races" back to a shrine. Even in the higher levels, these guys can hold their own.

In conclusion, I see lots of people talking smack about how the game should be played, what should be played, and what is or isn't viable to play in the game. Most of which is bunk because I've played pretty much every which way you can in this game and seeing post like these just make me laugh. It also upsets me because when new players come into the game or forum and are wanting to play a specific way, a way they have chosen, they are almost immediately shunned or just outright chastised for their choices. Remember when you were the noob and didn't know how to do anything (for some of these posters that was like six months ago). Let the new people learn to play without your prejudices and help them with these as well.

/rantoff
    Since when was using a greataxe on a wizard at low lvl a form of talking smack? Its simply and easy way to get thru low lvl content without depending on groups..if someone comes to the forums asking for advice people are gonna offer it, whether you agree with it or not is of no consequence. Yes there are many ways to do things, when someone asks how? then people are going to give examples. Get out of yer chair and get a breath of fresh air, relax and dont take others opinions or styles so personal

/rantoff
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by akiraproject24 View Post
    Since when was using a greataxe on a wizard at low lvl a form of talking smack? Its simply and easy way to get thru low lvl content without depending on groups..if someone comes to the forums asking for advice people are gonna offer it, whether you agree with it or not is of no consequence. Yes there are many ways to do things, when someone asks how? then people are going to give examples. Get out of yer chair and get a breath of fresh air, relax and dont take others opinions or styles so personal

/rantoff
    AH but you miss the point of the comment. You don't need the great axe on a wizard. I can run a new wizard without gear through Korthos with just the items I aquired in the quests and the heal pots I can grab from smashed barrels. As far as the advice part, would you tell a person that has never fired a pistol to hold it like a phaser from Star Trek (backwards) or tell a new pest exterminator it's okay to use a sledge hammer to swat a fly? I'm all for giving advice, but I would never tell a caster sure use a battleaxe the blue bar is just there for show.
    If you have a group with only DPS in it and are shouting "LFM, need healer and tank"; you aren't Looking for More, you're Looking for Group.

I've been saying this since the beta in 05 - play what you want and play it well. The rest will follow.

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

AH but you miss the point of the comment. You don't need the great axe on a wizard. I can run a new wizard without gear through Korthos with just the items I aquired in the quests and the heal pots I can grab from smashed barrels. As far as the advice part, would you tell a person that has never fired a pistol to hold it like a phaser from Star Trek (backwards) or tell a new pest exterminator it's okay to use a sledge hammer to swat a fly? I'm all for giving advice, but I would never tell a caster sure use a battleaxe the blue bar is just there for show.
    You are basically telling people something the same way other people are telling them. Who cares how you crack it. If you wanna run just what you get from quests fine do it good on you. If someone wants to use a particular weapon fine good on them. You are right I completely miss what your saying besides people are making you angry
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

The game is a game, whatever you make of it.

Play however'll make it the most fun for you.

Personally, I play absolutely ridiculous characters. Like a barbarian sorcerer.

Ignore the hardcore people who spout comments like that - chances are they're taking the game a lil too seriously and unhealthily.
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    I would think gnolls would be a fine choice that no one ever seems to choose.
    Sands:gnolls
    Gianthold:gnolls
    Vale: gnolls
    Shavarath: gnolls
    Reavers Refuge: has gnolls

They are freakin everywhere.
    Fixed

Minnesota, USA - Where the news reports when it's -30F but NEVER when it's 98F w/ dew point of 72F

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I've been saying this since the beta in 05 - play what you want and play it well. The rest will follow.
    This^

Play Style/Skill > Gear > Build
    Thelanis - Lightbearer - Cleric 20, Sareeshi - Ranger 20 (TR from AA to AA, yea, that's right), Roggiegal - 16/2/2 Rogue, Pally, Fighter, Pyranas - TR Sorceres 19, Pallyguy - Pally 19, Littlebigman - 20/2 (dwarf) Ranger/Fighter (tempest), Locksmythe - 11 Rogue and others...

i agree with what you are saying, but one thing i should point out.

you may be able to roll up a wizard, ranger or whatever class with no gear except from chests and dominate korthos, but 2 things i would suspect would be true of you:

1. you already have knowledge of the class and know how to play one and build one. a new player may not know anything beyond "point and shoot" and not know how to plan out a build and put points in wrong places. there was a fun thread not too long ago about what confused us when we were new to the game.

2. after all these years, i would assume you have some skill. a new player wouldnt probably know how to pull, where all the traps are to avoid or bottlenecking. they probably wouldnt know how to take full advantage of their class.
    Last edited by Qhualor; 10-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

I said this on the that drow thread and I will say it here...Unless you use their main stat as a dump stat and COMPLETELY IGNORE CON, any class/race combo can work. SOme work better than others but THEY ALL CAN WORK. If you are interested in perfection fine, but most of the peeps in this game are not.

Besides Player trumps all. Give any good vet player the gimpiest gimp you can create and they can all play them to endgame.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    So many subscribe to the flavor of the month that they have no idea what it even taste like.

Build to your playstyle and if your not having fun, try something else.
    I stick to chocolate and my vanilla sorc!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

I somewhat agree .. however a lot of new players are looking for actual advice on which race/build is going to have some kind of advantage from the get-go for whatever experience they are looking for. There is no question, for example, that a WF Sorc is going to be easier to play for a brand new player than a Drow sorc.

Some people enjoy discussing the relative merits of one choice vs. another, and see merit in doing so. Those who don't and just play whatever strikes their fancy probably don't post noob advice threads or reply to them as a rule.

Besides, this is not like other MMOs where it hardly matters what class you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by akiraproject24 View Post
    You are basically telling people something the same way other people are telling them. Who cares how you crack it. If you wanna run just what you get from quests fine do it good on you. If someone wants to use a particular weapon fine good on them. You are right I completely miss what your saying besides people are making you angry
    The thing hes annoyed about is that people say you MUST play your toon like me to succeed. Most people dont play like me and they succeed, <i dont play like most people and i succeed. But a lot of people who give advice cliam this impossible.

As to the ease of play when it comes to WF, its a two way street. Yes you can heal yourself, but you pay for it by dealing less damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast