Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    A bit of devil's advocate here, but I think it's kind of rude for anyone to demand that someone give up their loot, regardless what the LFM says. I wouldn't personally put up an LFM like this, but if I did and some random pug I didn't know, and probably would never see again, passed me a good drop.... I'd be very surprised.
    Reminds me of this Shroud leader in Khyber who insisted on people giving him the shards he needed because he "reserved them" once we joinned group, everyone else thought he was joking, I mean who reserves raid loot right?
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Quote Originally Posted by Ushurak View Post
    I would choose "c" every single time...even if I had to carry his stone to the end and rez him so he could loot the chest.
    Not only that, if c) did in fact pass you the loot, you would remember it, and they would be all but promised a spot in any future quest you did, because you can always give a toon to better gear and even carry a soul stone to the end of any quest or raid, but finding an honest player, that is something you cling to.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCake View Post
    Except that's like establishing a reign of terror in place of a charity drive. Not everyone takes kindly to that.
    They should probably stop pretending the reign of terror is any thing else then. Be clear in your LFM get what you want. Pretending it's something it's not and then getting but hurt over the misunderstanding is being a drama queen.

It's very simple

Help me get X can mean any number of things the onus is not on me to determine your meaning it's on you to make your need clear.

Pass X or don't join, or even Please Pass X or don't join or any other number of wording makes your intent clear.

I put up quests all the time stating farming for X or help me get X I don't expect anyone to pass me their loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Not only that, if c) did in fact pass you the loot, you would remember it, and they would be all but promised a spot in any future quest you did, because you can always give a toon to better gear and even carry a soul stone to the end of any quest or raid, but finding an honest player, that is something you cling to.
    YUP YUP...and that right there is the main point.
    In the end, it isn't about the loot...it's about the integrity of the player.

You have three kinds of players in this game:
    1) A player with integrity and they value their integrity and maintaining a good reputation with good people

2) A player with no integrity that only values their own needs/wants

3) A player that has integrity when it is convenient or when the loss would out way the gain
    Argo server:
    Deadbot-Sorcerer Warforged // Weetawted - Wizard AM Warforged // Rattletrap - Light Monk Warforged // Baloons - Artificer Warforged // Mormorromrom - Favored Soul Human Evoker/Healer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saravis View Post
    Depends on how its worded.

If its along the lines of "pass me xyz", then by joining you're expected to pass as you've agreed to the conditions of the LFM.

If its "xyz farming runs" or "help me get xyz" then by joining and not passing you've still agreed to the conditions of the LFM.
    In general, this, yes. Personally, if I join such an endeavor, I'll mention that I'm looking for the same thing, but if it drops for me, I'll pass the first one to the person who put up the LFM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    Reminds me of this Shroud leader in Khyber who insisted on people giving him the shards he needed because he "reserved them" once we joinned group, everyone else thought he was joking, I mean who reserves raid loot right?
    I assume he got laughed at a lot?

Community Member

Just for nostalgic reasons I thought I would Necro this thread. How crazy the forums used to be. If you posted on this thread congrats on still being around.

Community Member

If i join a farming group I will usually give the item to the leader desperately searching for it, even if I'm actively in need of the same thing. Sometimes making someone else's day is more fun. If I'm looking for something else, I also stick around after I've found it. But that's me.

I definitely don't agree that the leader is "entitled" to the item if it drops, though. If it drops for me I can either be nice or greedy, but that's between me and my god. I have to ask myself: What Would the Lord of Blades Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Talonus View Post
    I was just wondering what other players thought about this subject. I’ve always been of the mindset that if someone puts up an LFM and that person includes a message saying what they’re after, they should get the item if it comes up during the quest. For example, an LFM for Bargain of Blood is posted and the party leader writes, “EH runs: Help me get a Seal of the <item>” and at the end of the quest the seal they were after is in the end chest – I feel the seal should go to the leader who put up the LFM. That’s just me. I bring it up because I was part of a group yesterday that was doing some farming and at the end of the fourth run, the seal the leader was after finally dropped and the person that it dropped for just took it. The leader (and the group for that matter) asked him about it and he said he needed it too. Things got heated and the party fell apart. I just think if the person wanted the same seal that was posted in the LFM, they should not have joined. Like I said, that’s just my opinion and I want to know what other players thought.
    No. No one owes anyone their loot regardless of the lfm message. Let me give you my eross shard and seal while I'm at it, because you posted it.

Community Member

Posting a "looking for [blank]" message is fine. What always drove me nuts was the people who'd post "X is reserved" - stating that if a certain item dropped, regardless, you were required to give it up as a condition of joining the group. Obviously no way to enforce that, so good luck. At least LFMs like that are a thing of the past.

I do a lot of "farming for [blank]" lfms myself, mostly so I can have someone to talk to while I grind endlessly. What's really great is the current culture of "sure, I'll hope in and be a chest puller for a few runs!" that I've been seeing.

A lot of the time when the groups I have been in have been after certain things, we've discussed it before entering, with a general agreement of "If X drops for you and you don't want it, give it to Y". Before entering people have said "I'm after X", to indicate desire. but it doesn't indicate reservation of the item (whether they are party leader and it's in the LFM or not).
    When X drops for you and you want it, it's yours, unless something other things drop for others that you want more, in which case trading can take place and if there are lots that drop and lots of people want them, dice rolls work if there isn't obvious mutual agreement of who gets what.
    Generally good communication among the group resolves any issue that might occur.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

This thread is a discussion between alignments about what is right.

Does obligation to self or to community take precedence?

Just for me; if I needed the item also, I'd ask for any that drop after the first- there's a chance that 2 would appear. But if only one dropped and it fell to me, I'd pass it to the one who started the PUG. But that's how I am.

Some are more self oriented. To me, the LFM is a request for assistance to obtain an item and, as such, the expectation is all ho join are willing to pass the item if it fell to them. But they can't be forced to do so. Unless the quest is a raid or a particularly long and arduous quest, there's no reason it can't be run a second time to help another get the same item.

You can't enforce a community standard- nor should you- but you can deal with the individuals based on their behavior afterwards. Don't join their groups, decline their join requests, state you're dropping from a group if they join a group you joined and the reason why. No excessive drama; "either he/she is dropped or I leave," then follow through.

I guess that makes me Neutral Good?
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Community Member

Back in the days when platinum was still a thing, You'd see the occasional bidding war/auction type situation. You'd still get items up for role of course, but for example if you really wanted a raid item that was BtCoA you might mention ahead of time what you were willing to pay for it, and sometimes that would work if whoever pulled it wanted some money more than an item they might use 5 lives down the road.

A friend of mine tried this once, and got badly scolded by another player. Like the guy was a HUGE #$&-hole to him beyond any and all reason, just because he had the audacity to say "Hey, if this drops, I'll pay X for it". Apparently this other player(whom I shall not name), thought the ONLY acceptable method for dispensing loot was via dice role.

Years ago after joining and completing a Stormreaver raid I pulled an item and everyone proceed to claim it want it and roll for it after several minutes I simply left it in the chest and recalled. Needless to say I got several nasty tells and ignored them.

After that my policy became quite simple its my drop I'll take it or pass it to anyone I choose if no one I play with wants it I will put it up for roll. Since the release of sentient jewels I will only pass to someone who tells me they are looking for an item in a quest prior to it being run after that it's food.

If I see a posted lfm of someone who has completed a quest looking for an item I will be more than happy to jump in run to the chest and pass it after all they did all the work. Much like passing tokens in Devils Assault.

I know several guilds that have rules about loot and raid items and not rolling for other people and seen some kicked from those guilds for not following the rules.
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 43/48 ETR - 12/14 RAP - 32/36 RTR - 93/158 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 12/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 36/158 ), SoulDuster - Completionist ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/158 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Merrelll View Post
    Could never understand why someone would join a LFM which states conditions to join, just to have that person refuse the said condition and do as they please. This to me, show's a certain lack of decency.
    I completely disagree.

If someone posted an LFM that said "Don't join unless you are going to give me X" then I might agree. But that wouldn't be a smart idea.

Like most things in life, if you work as a team the outcome is going to be better if everyone does their part.

The expectation should NOT be if the item drops you are duty bound to give it away. The expectation should be, if you join, stay until everyone who wants the item gets the item.

The breach of ettiquette is when someone quits the group immediately as soon as they get the item. That shows a complete lack of decency.

The best outcome for everyone and most sensible would be, if you get the item and want it, keep it. If you don't want the item, give it to the LFM leader. If the LFM leader has gotten one, give it to anyone else who wants it.

And NO one should quit until everyone has the item or the actual LFM leader decides they have had enough.

This gives incentive to post an LFM for farming and it gives incentive to join those LFMs if you need the item. Both of these incentives makes it more likely that everyone gets the item.
    Last edited by TedSandyman; 11-26-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    This thread is a discussion between alignments about what is right.

Does obligation to self or to community take precedence?

Just for me; if I needed the item also, I'd ask for any that drop after the first- there's a chance that 2 would appear. But if only one dropped and it fell to me, I'd pass it to the one who started the PUG. But that's how I am.

{stuff}

I guess that makes me Neutral Good?
    Nope... your approach is LG... mine's NG

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Why not just ask the group for item x, you will get more help getting things that way in my experience anyways. It also opens up conversation about the next set of quests where you might be able to help them get stuff.

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by glmfw1 View Post
    Nope... your approach is LG... mine's NG
    I went back and forth on which mine described.
    I figured LG would be more concerned about enforcing the "way it shall be". Then again, maybe I based it on the fact I'd rather be flexible than impose an overall etiquette.
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Quote Originally Posted by Mglaxix View Post
    ...if no one I play with wants it I will put it up for roll...
    I always link/name the item and then choose a random sided die (e.g. d572). That way, anyone who rolls is actually paying attention, not just randomly rolling d100s to get items to burn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anuulified View Post
    No. No one owes anyone their loot regardless of the lfm message. Let me give you my eross shard and seal while I'm at it, because you posted it.
    Disagree. If I joined such an LFM and had no intention of passing the named item, I have a moral obligation to say so up front, so the party leader has the option to boot me.

OTOH, I would never "demand" loot, my LFM would be more of a "hey if you pull this and don't really need it, I would like it".

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567