Exclamation Advice for Least Painful Melee Lives...

Dear Melee-Players ,

I firstly want to say I've never truly ever played anything but an Arcane, Divine, or occasionally the bard. The bards nine times out of ten were melee, but that is as close to melee as I've ever been in two years of playing. So this shall be interesting!

Now, for my main, Koeta... The guild has decided to do a TR group and I've decided it was now time for Koeta to do some of his melee lives on his path to completionist.

If you guys would be oh so kind to recommend some less painful and perhaps fun builds for the follow that would be awesome! Also, if you recommend any additional lowbie gear or 'must have' melee TR items, that is also welcome.

*Barbarian
    *Fighter
    *Paladin
    *Monk

I'm not willing to buy a bajillion +5 Hearts as I'm usually broke, I do not own Helf or Horc, and I will be Tring as soon as I hit 20 again.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Pewf; 10-22-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Needed to Specify some things.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta

are you looking for quick turnaround lives, or builds that will be viable for raiding / epic elites?

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    are you looking for quick turnaround lives, or builds that will be viable for raiding / epic elites?
    Just builds that can get me through a life, our TR group is tring back to back so don't think I would have much time to raid.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta

If you don't really do melee, are very focused, and have points to spare, then the old 14 sorc/6 other with +5 heart of wood is a winner.

Community Member

The trick is to get around the limitations.

Melees scrolls/potions for self-healing and clickies for self-buffs: Deathward, greater heroism, haste, displacement...

Monk is the least painful melee life, because you have the stun effects for crowd control, good healing amp, decent saves and improved evasion.

Fighter is close to the monk, but you will rely on clickies and good gear a lot more. If you don't care about the capstone, take 2 levels of monk or rogue for evasion and figure out a way to self-heal.

Barbarian is not bad, but there is this tension: You can't use clickies or scrolls while raging. So you either play your barbarian as a bad fighter to keep your clickies or give up on most of the advantages of playing a TR and go crazy with rage. I found my barbarian very boring to level up, but I learned a lot about melee gameplay because of it.

Paladin is weird. Paladins with evasion don't die, ever. But they are bad at doing damage. Soloing to 20 on a paladin will take longer than any other class. But you have a party with you, right?

You didn't ask, but the Rogue can be right above or right below the fighter depending on your build/gear/playstyle and the parties. Ranger is similar to the paladin, but they have manyshot for burst DPS and sprint boost - it's a fun class to play.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Quote Originally Posted by Pewf View Post
    Just builds that can get me through a life, our TR group is tring back to back so don't think I would have much time to raid.
    given you've been playing for a couple of years i'll assume you can fill in the blanks, so here's a rough outline that i used for my own TR's, your mileage may vary though, since you're running in a group, you should be working out as a group who has traps, heals, haste etc.

pally
    w/f, 1arti, 9monk, 10pally (that order for leveling) str build, enough dex for twf feats, dark monk, for tod / shadowfade / sneak attack. pally go hotd, you get tier 1's ghost touch just in time for necro iv.

arti's free repair light wounds should be all the healing you need till you get positive healing amp. the +1 weapons / armor is useful throughout.

put enough points into int to sustain umd + 1 rogue skill if needed.

gear, 1 holy burst ring, vampiric stonedust wraps, sora kell set, bladesmark docent, jidz tet ka, DT 10&20 healing amp/x docent.

monk

helf, 1arti, 19monk. that level order.

str build, with enough dex for twf, and enough wis for cleric dilly. once you get 40umd swap to rogue dilly.

mostly same gear as paladin.

barbarian

helf, 2rogue/18barb 1rogue/barb till you want evasion/rogue/barb.

get enough wisdom for monk dilletante, and pump healing amp, do this life after your paladin life.
    barbs get a lot of skill points per level, you could handle all the trap monkying this life if you feel like it.
    remember to use uncanny dodge when necessary.

ignore thf feats, get cleaves asap.

fighter

depends on how you like to play, i like the following splits.

human - 1rogue,3pally,6fighter,1rogue,6fighter,3pally. (amazing saves, umd for heal scrolls, could go kensai dps, or stalwart ac depending on your preference)

(assuming you only have +2 tomes)
    16/15/14/14/8/14 - levels in str, enough dex for twf feats, enough skills for umd, search, disable.

1rogue, 9monk, 10 fighter

obviously those two play differently but both are incredibly easy to level. I'd probably do this life last.

same gear as paladin life, kensai or stalwart is up to you, i prefer stalwart.

If you want more indepth info on these I'll give proper breakdowns later.

option 1. Take 9 monks levels for imp evasion, stunning fist, shadow fade, and touch of death, more heal amp, +10 levels of the class you want the past life in, 1 level of rogue/arti for trap skills and umd.

option 2. Take 6 levels of rogue for rogue mechanic I for Int to damage with crossbows, 6 levels of arti for endless fusilade and Int to to-hit, +8 levels of whatever you want a pastlife in.

option 3. Half elf arcane archer, 6 monk for 10k stars, a few ranger levels 2-6 depending, whatever class you wanted a pastlife in.

for monk, stay pure.

Edit: get 2-3 pairs of boots of anger from korthos for the clicky and a cannith crafted ml1 melee/ranged alacrity trinket so you don't have to drink so many haste pots.
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 10-22-2012 at 06:40 AM.

some easy to live with builds can be found here:

shades barbarians, powerful from the start and easy to maintain qua gear and edibles.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=298161

a newbie fighter build I made for f2p, easy to maintain and high survivability (I rolled a first life dwarf from scratch to test it out, works great), with a 36pt build I suggest getting 1 more dex and some more int for skill points.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=390915

Paladin/monk build for good saves and ac, thread is outdated but the build is solid and should keep you out of trouble with above average AC and saves.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ighlight=splat

advice
    Don't want to hijack her thread but this interests me too :-)
    Would you change anything if you didn't have helf and arty ?
    And what do you think would be best split for barb/bard/rogue for barbie past life ? Not sure if it would be faster than 18barb/2 rogue though.

Community Member

My favorite thing about TR lives is that you can play builds that are awesome for leveling and absolutely miserable at cap, like the famous 10sorc/10x, or some of the ideas below.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    Barbarian is not bad, but there is this tension: You can't use clickies or scrolls while raging. So you either play your barbarian as a bad fighter to keep your clickies or give up on most of the advantages of playing a TR and go crazy with rage. I found my barbarian very boring to level up, but I learned a lot about melee gameplay because of it.
    I had a lot of fun doing a 6clr/12barb life. Max str, high charisma. Took max/empower/emp heal early, and only used them for radiant burst. It's amazing how many quests are full of undead in the 1-16 range. Fill the rest of your feats with cleaves.
    This sort of build has to be careful with raging: you have plenty of self-healing if you keep metamagics off your csw and on your radiant burst, but you can't use any of it raged. Keep dismiss rage on your hotbar in case you need to heal in a hurry.

pally
    w/f, 1arti, 9monk, 10pally (that order for leveling) str build, enough dex for twf feats, dark monk, for tod / shadowfade / sneak attack. pally go hotd, you get tier 1's ghost touch just in time for necro iv.
    Agree completely with this level split for the pally life. The 9 mo splash is just exceptional for adding damage to a class that does nothing but stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    Monk is the least painful melee life, because you have the stun effects for crowd control, good healing amp, decent saves and improved evasion.
    Agreed.
    Splashing on your monk life is worth considering. Monk levels 1-12 are great, and 18-20 are great, but there's really nothing exciting in the 13-17 range. On a TR only life, I'd think something like 12mo/7rog to keep your damage output increasing in the high levels, or druid for some healing, ram's might, and reaving roar.
    Cannith: Officer of Legit
    Beyt, Varsuvius, Lucznik, Ordeith, FirebatHero, Koniec

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Don't want to hijack her thread but this interests me too :-)
    Would you change anything if you didn't have helf and arty ?
    And what do you think would be best split for barb/bard/rogue for barbie past life ? Not sure if it would be faster than 18barb/2 rogue though.
    i've leveled a human 7bard, 2 rogue, 11barb before.

my logic at the time was it was an all melee TR, and this split allowed me to throw 1min extended displaces / hastes, toss heal scrolls and do traps.

I did notice my dps was much lower than the "real" melees, now that displace is self only I wouldn't bother with the 7th bard level. (1rogue,1barb, 6bard, 1rogue, barb to cap) (personally though, i really wouldn't do a bard splash on a barb at all again without the party displaces)

for the helf arti splashes. if you own neither
    substiute helf for human, and arti for rogue.

monk
    human, 1rogue,2 ranger,13monk, rest rogue.
    I'd aim to be resident trapper in this group, going a more windstance dex wis based build.

barbarian
    i'd still do 18barb/2rogue.

human - 16str, 16con, 16int, 14cha.
    still ignore 2hf feats, get cleaves, improved crit,

Community Member

If you have a heal bot to nanny you, then barbarian or fighter on a dwarf is ideal. You'll kill everything before it can look at your weird. You just need those heals and lots of them, especially at Gianthold/Necro 4 when CSW pots stop helping.

A paladin with a splash of rogue is unkillable once properly geared. Mine was under geared and under prepared, but basically soloed epic normal DA with 5 people piking in the front room(they killed a few teleporting things and gave me some buffs and summoned monsters, but it was about 75% me alone). The reason is UMD, which gives you so many nice things thanks to your paladin charisma. You also, if you go DoS, get nice AC, HP and saves. I would go human.

A monk is similar to a paladin, but I'd go pure class half-elf and cleric dilly. You could probably go dark and human and attain self healing, but as I've never played a TRed dark monk, I cannot advise it with absolute certainty. Monks get good AC and saves, have less HP but more dps than paladins. I like them quite a bit.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot you didn't have half-elf. A human monk will be fine I'm sure.
    Last edited by Varashad; 10-22-2012 at 01:57 PM.

For someone with more of a Caster Flair

Barbarian/Bard - 7 Levels of Bard to get 3rd level spells which include Displacement and allows for Warchanter PrE (1 Extra Rage)

Fighter/Wizard - 7 Levels of Wizard opens up 4th level spells. Utilize Wizard Archmagi PrE for cheap spells. Main goal is to use SP to supplement your combat tactics as a form of Debuff.

Paladin/Sorcerer - 6 to 8 levels of Sorcerer - Utilizing Sorcerer PrE for cheap SLA, capitalizing on Charisma
    Paladin/FvS - 6 to 8 levels of FvS - Utilizing FvS PrE Aura bonus, capitalizing on Charisma

Monk/Cleric - 7 to 9 Levels of Cleric to access healing spells, can utilize Monk stance to increase wisdom and benefit spells that are DC based. Spell Penetration from Wizard Past Lives will help make this more effective. Cleric PrE will give you a source of in/out of combat burst group healing.

Thanks so much guys, there was so much helpful things I could only rep so much, but will try to rep the rest of you guys tomorrow! I have learned a lot.

Koeta has eaten all +3 Tomes, and has a litany. So I should be able to chug Silver Flame Pots if necessary, I have a bunch from my previous fleshy sorc life for tanking shadows.

Now for the actual builds.

Barb
    I am considering a Barb/Rogue with UMD, and some trapping skills. Do plan on using most of my Silver Flame Pots here, and do think this will probably be the hardest life. Do you guys recommend any must have feats for barbs while leveling up? I know Cleave for Frenzied is usually the path, but anything else?

Monk
    I'm not exactly sure at all on this one, I've only ever splashed monk for evasion on casters... and this one looks like a lot of clicking for attacks and finishers. I might splash a rogue level or two for trap skills (or perhaps more for more sneak attack dice?), but also here any feat advice? I know stunning fists is a must have, but anything else I'm obviously missing?

Paladin
    After my monk past life, I plan on doing a super hamp build with a deep monk splash after a recommendation from a guildie. So pretty sure I have this one all figured out, thanks a lot all for the advice for Pallys!

Fighter
    Another deep splash, perhaps a 12/8 using wraps. Friend who has another similar one helped me figure out this one as well, though I am considering splashing rogue for UMD.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta

Quote Originally Posted by Pewf View Post
    Thanks so much guys, there was so much helpful things I could only rep so much, but will try to rep the rest of you guys tomorrow! I have learned a lot.

Koeta has eaten all +3 Tomes, and has a litany. So I should be able to chug Silver Flame Pots if necessary, I have a bunch from my previous fleshy sorc life for tanking shadows.

Now for the actual builds.

Barb
    I am considering a Barb/Rogue with UMD, and some trapping skills. Do plan on using most of my Silver Flame Pots here, and do think this will probably be the hardest life. Do you guys recommend any must have feats for barbs while leveling up? I know Cleave for Frenzied is usually the path, but anything else?
    toughness, power attack, cleave, great cleave, improved crit, skill focus umd.

Monk
    I'm not exactly sure at all on this one, I've only ever splashed monk for evasion on casters... and this one looks like a lot of clicking for attacks and finishers. I might splash a rogue level or two for trap skills (or perhaps more for more sneak attack dice?), but also here any feat advice? I know stunning fists is a must have, but anything else I'm obviously missing?
    2wf feats*3, toughness, dodge (it's a pre req for ninja spy) stunning fist, improved crit bludgeon, power attack

Paladin
    After my monk past life, I plan on doing a super hamp build with a deep monk splash after a recommendation from a guildie. So pretty sure I have this one all figured out, thanks a lot all for the advice for Pallys!
    2wf *3, toughness, improved crit, stunning fist, hotd has no feat pre reqs, get maximise for your sp heals, extend for longer divine favor if you can fit it. If you're going super hamp build, don't go shintao, just stick with no prestige.

Fighter
    Another deep splash, perhaps a 12/8 using wraps. Friend who has another similar one helped me figure out this one as well, though I am considering splashing rogue for UMD.

splash the rogue, 8th monk level gives you half a damage die, and the next tier of slow falling, that's all. Rogue gives all those level 1 skills, umd, and 1d6 sneak attack.
    responses in red

responses in red
    Thanks so much, would rep you again if I could but I must spread it around!
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta