Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default Road to Completionist: Melee Lives Questions

    So I've been dragging my feet on my toon I intend to take completionist (Fudder) because the idea of gear and playing through the melee lives is a little bit daunting. So Far I have completed the following:

    Wizard (Currently on Second life of wiz)/FvS x 3/Sorc/Artificer

    I intend on Moving to Cleric and then to Druid, before I move on to melee/specialist lives.

    This leaves me with the following lives in question:
    Barbarian/Bard/Fighter/Monk/Paladin/Ranger/Rogue

    I need some advice on moving through these seven lives under the following conditions:

    1. Reasonable self healing: Be it scrolls or Silver Flame pots, I want the build to have a method of self healing so that he is not a drag on the various BYOH/Zerg LFM's I might hit. This brand of self healing needs to be effective by level 12, until that point I should be able to use pots.

    2. I can't afford to swallow a GR every life, so the build or build matrix will have to be ready to TR at 20 without level manipulation.

    3. The Builds should be effective in parties providing reasonable dps, hitpoints, and survivability.

    4. Absolutely minimum gear swapping between builds. I can accept that I may need three different sets of gear Barb/Bard/????. But the less switching the better.

    I've had a few ideas on how to go about it:

    Monk 6/Ranger 6/ x 8: This would be a many shot/ten k stars AA type leveling build where I would gear up with a lit 2 bow, unwavering ardency, Tier 2 Alchemical Bow. It would suplimented with a few hand wraps for situational use (I'm looking at you Mabar). Would go half elf, Cleric dilly for self healing. The disadvantage to this build, while I could carry it through 5 lives, it leaves out Bard/Barbarian.

    Artificer 6/Rogue 7/ x 7: This is a Endless Fusilade/Rogue Mechanic build. High-ish int, Insightful reflexes to make sure my clumsy fingers don't work against. UMD to scroll heal. Probably going to go hafling for this build for the built in sneak attack enhancements. Essentially Trapper my way to 20. Lit 2 heavy repeater, Tier 2 Alchemical Heavy Repeater for good measure. Possibly Radiance 2, but I'm only score 4d6 sneak attack dice plus bonuses, so, may not be worth farming.

    Alternatively, I've considered go 12/6/2 Monk builds through five of these and then doing variations of Barbarian and Bard-Barian.

    Gear and planning gear is very important to me, so once I get a good discussion on builds, I'd like to discuss gear.

    Any thoughts, Ideas, past experiences? Any help would be appreciated.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  2. #2
    Community Member xaadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Craig, ALASKA
    Posts
    89

    Smile yo

    not sure about your gear, but for my 1st fighter life i went 18/2 fighter rogue. Its a good solo build that can self heal via UMD, or pots how ever you want.
    If you have arti past lifes your umd will be even better. you can also do the 12/6/2 blitz build fighter, barb, rogue can self heal via umd, open locks. tank. do great dps.

    You should have no problem self healing. as for barb lifes im not sure. cant cast while raging.

    I think your best bet would be to 18/2 split classes for you melee or mby even 12/6/2 i say it all personal choice.

    On your cleric life try 12/6/2 cleric, ranger, mnk. way fun and very viable till lvl20 heal spell pluss AA and evation.
    Cannith is home to... Jimmyjim~Treebott~Yergu~Emsee~Dingbatt~Vorndrin~ Haida

  3. #3
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xaadas View Post
    not sure about your gear, but for my 1st fighter life i went 18/2 fighter rogue. Its a good solo build that can self heal via UMD, or pots how ever you want.
    If you have arti past lifes your umd will be even better. you can also do the 12/6/2 blitz build fighter, barb, rogue can self heal via umd, open locks. tank. do great dps.

    You should have no problem self healing. as for barb lifes im not sure. cant cast while raging.

    I think your best bet would be to 18/2 split classes for you melee or mby even 12/6/2 i say it all personal choice.

    On your cleric life try 12/6/2 cleric, ranger, mnk. way fun and very viable till lvl20 heal spell pluss AA and evation.
    Cleric I'm just going to go straight cleric, and heal my way to the gear I need.

    You think I should go 18/2 Through all seven classes? What fighting style?

    EDIT: Also Thanks for the response.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  4. #4
    DDO Catalog MrCow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Merrimack, NH
    Posts
    7,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus
    What fighting style?
    This should probably be based highly on your preference of the fighting styles. For example, I enjoy the unarmed attack style and repeating crossbow attack style, so I commonly have a couple of levels of monk on my melee types, and have used repeating crossbows for bardic, clerical, and roguish past lives. This generally leaves me with an outlier of Barbarian, where I typically use two-handed weaponry. I don't enjoy the standard two-weapon attack style or bow attack style as much, and thus avoid them when I can.

    This leaves me with a common weapon set of the following for the character I did to Completionist:
    • Fernian Wraps
    • +1 Acid [Risian Icy Burst] of Pure Good Handwraps
    • Devout Handwraps
    • Vampiric Stonedust Wraps
    • Wraps of Endless Light [ML 12 Variant]
    • Calomel Studded Handwraps [ML 16 Variant, given Screaming and Bleeding when level appropriate]
    • Grave Wrappings
    • Screaming Repeating Heavy Crossbow of Bleeding
    • Greensteel Lightning Strike Heavy Repeater
    • +5 Wounding Heavy Repeater of Puncturing
    • +3 Adamantine Icy Burst Quarterstaff [ML 2]
    • +2 Icy Burst Falchion of Pure Good [ML 4]
    • Greensteel Mineral Greatsword
    • Master Transmuter's Staff
    • Snowstar


    While I do carry around a larger stash of weapons, those are the only ones that generally see the light of day.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

  5. #5
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    This should probably be based highly on your preference of the fighting styles. For example, I enjoy the unarmed attack style and repeating crossbow attack style, so I commonly have a couple of levels of monk on my melee types, and have used repeating crossbows for bardic, clerical, and roguish past lives. This generally leaves me with an outlier of Barbarian, where I typically use two-handed weaponry. I don't enjoy the standard two-weapon attack style or bow attack style as much, and thus avoid them when I can.

    This leaves me with a common weapon set of the following for the character I did to Completionist:
    • Fernian Wraps
    • +1 Acid [Risian Icy Burst] of Pure Good Handwraps
    • Devout Handwraps
    • Vampiric Stonedust Wraps
    • Wraps of Endless Light [ML 12 Variant]
    • Calomel Studded Handwraps [ML 16 Variant, given Screaming and Bleeding when level appropriate]
    • Grave Wrappings
    • Screaming Repeating Heavy Crossbow of Bleeding
    • Greensteel Lightning Strike Heavy Repeater
    • +5 Wounding Heavy Repeater of Puncturing
    • +3 Adamantine Icy Burst Quarterstaff [ML 2]
    • +2 Icy Burst Falchion of Pure Good [ML 4]
    • Greensteel Mineral Greatsword
    • Master Transmuter's Staff
    • Snowstar


    While I do carry around a larger stash of weapons, those are the only ones that generally see the light of day.
    I would ask you for leveling/build advice, but you've already done that in pain staking detail. Thanks Mr. Cow for all you do on the forums. Many times I've referenced your posts for soloing/build/leveling information.

    Do you have any thoughts on using monk templates for: Fighter/Ranger/Paladin/Rogue?
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  6. #6
    Hatchery Hero Sonos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    I went the cheap/expensive route. I'm only on life 10 atm so I'm no expert but I went combos of 9monk/6fighter or 12monk/5fighter + the PL I needed then LR'd +3 or +5 accordingly.

    The Cons to this approach:

    -You don't actually learn the full potentials of classes as you go through them(for me that's what alts are for).

    -Hearts of Wood are pretty rare and are expensive to buy

    -It can feel repetitive.

    Pros:

    -You move around faster with monk levels, so getting to quests, moving around in quests feels fast and fun.

    -Survivability: As a Helf with cleric dillie you are throwing heal scrolls at level 15 on everything but a one. You have great heal amp from human and monk enhancements. B4 heal scrolls you are nimble enough to jump around and hit some cure pots or wands. And... Improved evasion!!!

    -Gear: This one is huge. I am basically using the same frozen tunics, DT or Garments from the life b4 as well as handwraps and GS items. No need to accumulate a bunch of ****.

    -Touch of Death, abundant step. I heart them.

    and some others I may add if I remember.

    The only lives I did not do this on were the first two: a Monster build then pure barb. I have 3 lives left b4 I get the completionist feat. and some will be relatively pure: Arti, Wiz, and for Bard I may do the other alternative that some people use to limit there gear acquisitions while multi-Tring and that is 14 Sorc/1Barb/rest whatever(in this case Bard).

    Monk will not be possible with bard life or Barb life due to alignment restrictions and Arti and Wizard are great pure or almost pure.

    Hope this helps, it's certainly not for everyone but it's pretty convenient for me. I will be doing more of the purer lives after completionist or more zany hybrids but for now, it's working for me to get to that point.

    Would like to thank Devilfist(monk/fighter combos as strategy) and Shadepalm(going helf) for the ideas they bestowed over the lives to hone in this route.

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    I went the cheap/expensive route. I'm only on life 10 atm so I'm no expert but I went combos of 9monk/6fighter or 12monk/5fighter + the PL I needed then LR'd +3 or +5 accordingly.

    The Cons to this approach:

    -You don't actually learn the full potentials of classes as you go through them(for me that's what alts are for).

    -Hearts of Wood are pretty rare and are expensive to buy

    -It can feel repetitive.

    Pros:

    -You move around faster with monk levels, so getting to quests, moving around in quests feels fast and fun.

    -Survivability: As a Helf with cleric dillie you are throwing heal scrolls at level 15 on everything but a one. You have great heal amp from human and monk enhancements. B4 heal scrolls you are nimble enough to jump around and hit some cure pots or wands. And... Improved evasion!!!

    -Gear: This one is huge. I am basically using the same frozen tunics, DT or Garments from the life b4 as well as handwraps and GS items. No need to accumulate a bunch of ****.

    -Touch of Death, abundant step. I heart them.

    and some others I may add if I remember.

    The only lives I did not do this on were the first two: a Monster build then pure barb. I have 3 lives left b4 I get the completionist feat. and some will be relatively pure: Arti, Wiz, and for Bard I may do the other alternative that some people use to limit there gear acquisitions while multi-Tring and that is 14 Sorc/1Barb/rest whatever(in this case Bard).

    Monk will not be possible with bard life or Barb life due to alignment restrictions and Arti and Wizard are great pure or almost pure.

    Hope this helps, it's certainly not for everyone but it's pretty convenient for me. I will be doing more of the purer lives after completionist or more zany hybrids but for now, it's working for me to get to that point.

    Would like to thank Devilfist(monk/fighter combos as strategy) and Shadepalm(going helf) for the ideas they bestowed over the lives to hone in this route.

    Good luck!

    Thanks for the post. While the GR did cross my mind a while ago, I can't justify the expenditures of TP for +5 Heart of wood with Christmas coming up.

    That being said, I am considering the monk template for getting through most of my melee/specialist lives. If you have the time, would you mind outlining your leveling gear?

    I figured a set of Frozen Tunics would be necessary, and Mr. Cow has already outlined some do not forget handwraps. What else do you have on you're 'don't leave home without it' list?
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  8. #8
    Hatchery Hero Sonos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus View Post
    Thanks for the post. While the GR did cross my mind a while ago, I can't justify the expenditures of TP for +5 Heart of wood with Christmas coming up.

    That being said, I am considering the monk template for getting through most of my melee/specialist lives. If you have the time, would you mind outlining your leveling gear?

    I figured a set of Frozen Tunics would be necessary, and Mr. Cow has already outlined some do not forget handwraps. What else do you have on you're 'don't leave home without it' list?
    I can list more as I think of it but besides the fernian and Calomel wraps, I use the wraps that Mr.Cow outlined.

    -Weeping Wraps from The Captives(Cerulean Hills) ML2 - +2 wraps with screaming(nice but not must have)
    -Scorching Wraps(+2 wraps Flaming Burst, Spiked, Bleed ML4
    (from easy to Farm 3BC rare(he's out and to the left as you come out of tavern, you farm it in 30 secs on any toon just keep recalling and resetting instance until you get em)

    -Eternal Rest wraps from Catacombs ML0 until you find Ghost Touch alternative

    -Various metal wraps if you are not a light monk(they are dropping a ton more-watch those end reward lists, pulled 2 silver threaded from Kobold Ringleader and a Depths quest).(craft on em)

    -Pure good for Delera's elite for those ghost skellies.

    -Smiter wraps for Shroud

    -Thaarak wraps(they were nerfed but still proc a lot on a monk and even still work on EH quests-I use the grave wrappings more now but until level...)

    -Alchemical wraps if you have the time. I just did 2 tiers for levelling 18-20, double air, will tier 3 on a completionist monk life later(have all the ing but don't want to have it at ML20 atm)

    -Banishers/Disruptors can be handy.

    Jidz-teka bracers are nice to have for a few levels.

    Infused Chaos robe from Madness chain- add +10 reflex to them from The Twelve altar. With GH, recitation, etc., you will be the rockstar trap room/swimmer for the Crucible(not necessary but gives me peace of mind).
    Last edited by Sonos; 10-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Infused Chaos robe from Madness chain- add +10 reflex to them from The Twelve altar. With GH, recitation, etc., you will be the rockstar trap room/swimmer for the Crucible(not necessary but gives me peace of mind).
    Nice tip here!
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  10. #10
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Had another thought, what about a Big F'n Stick build templet? I could incorporate all seven classes into that. If things go the way they're talking, the new monk prestige is a quarterstaff user's boon.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  11. #11
    Community Member BuyTiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    272

    Default

    I used the great 6/6/8 split for a few of my melee lives on the way to completionist, as did a few guildies when they saw the way it dominated the game.

    Level order
    6 Arti - Battle engineer
    6 Rogue - Mechanic
    8 Whatever

    You get evasion, solid damage (int to hit and int to damage), reasonable sneak damage, plenty of UMD, and can go like a duracel bunny never needing to shrine.

    The only point in the game where it starts to be a bit painful is IQ elite, then that's kinda true for any melee without instakill.

    Personally I'd go human for the feat and the heal amp, but flavour's alwasy good.
    Pipot, Officer of Loot, Cannith.

  12. #12
    Community Member ElbionTcob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SoCal, West side represent!
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Honestly, Paladin lives have just fine self heals. Hunter of the Dead for insane heal amp, pots at low levels, once you get spells pick up quicken and empower heal. A caster type person like you probably has Conc Op and or Torc so sp is no issue. I found that making a 30/20% heal amp Good Burst weapon and twf my way through ranger/paly lives is very effective. You still get some dmg from the off hand and insane heal amp. And for the GS heal stick opens up at 11 when cure mod opens for rangers and palys
    Cannith- A Tribe Called Zerg
    Elbion Tosscobble: TR'ing Atm
    Ivena: 20 Rouge TR1 Dps/Epic Trapper/Epic Assassination
    And a multitude of changing alts

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I actually just finished all of my melee past lives yesterday (thank you 25% bonus xp weekend!!!)

    The build that I use makes leveling very very easy and allows you to solo most of the content up to Orchard and GH main quests.

    I use a WF 9 Artificer, 9 past life, & 2 evasion build. I prefer to use monk for the evasion for the extra feats, but rogue can be used for bard and barbarian lives due to alignment issue.

    Traps, evasion, ranged combat, and self healing make even elites at level a joke.

    Notes on gear: Make sure to buy/make decent gear, it will only make your life easier.
    - Lit2 repeater, banisher, smiter, disrution
    - Windhowler bracers
    - Beholder plate (slot the +10 reflex saves into it. you can end up with high 30's low 40's. plus it is nice to lockup the casters from a distance)
    - Tharnes goggles are nice if you have them

  14. #14
    Hatchery Hero Sonos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warlord1427 View Post
    I actually just finished all of my melee past lives yesterday (thank you 25% bonus xp weekend!!!)

    The build that I use makes leveling very very easy and allows you to solo most of the content up to Orchard and GH main quests.

    I use a WF 9 Artificer, 9 past life, & 2 evasion build. I prefer to use monk for the evasion for the extra feats, but rogue can be used for bard and barbarian lives due to alignment issue.

    Traps, evasion, ranged combat, and self healing make even elites at level a joke.

    Notes on gear: Make sure to buy/make decent gear, it will only make your life easier.
    - Lit2 repeater, banisher, smiter, disrution
    - Windhowler bracers
    - Beholder plate (slot the +10 reflex saves into it. you can end up with high 30's low 40's. plus it is nice to lockup the casters from a distance)
    - Tharnes goggles are nice if you have them
    Was always curious about the even split there. Does the PL only count what you took first for level on the even split or the last?

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    When the class split is even, the first class implemented takes priority.

    from DDOwiki:

    Dominant Class
    You gain the Past Life of your dominant class (i.e., the class that is shown as your character's class icon in parties), which is determined by the class you have the most levels of. In the case of a tie, the dominant class is the highest on this list:

    Barbarian
    Bard
    Cleric
    Fighter
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Monk
    Favored Soul
    Artificer
    Druid

    That is: alphabetical for the original 9 classes, then new classes added at the end in order of release.

  16. #16
    SithDDO Symerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    901

    Default

    You can hit the link to the "Sith project" below - kept track of my past lives and the splits I did - sometimes it was great, sometimes it sucked.


    In general that's what I used...
    For the THF lives (fighter, barb, bard, paladin) - MinII Greatsword.
    For the unarmed lives (monk, ranger, rogue) - Vampiric stonedust handwraps. Don't forget to get a TOD ring holy bursted before you start (trash ring works).

    What really helped :
    - 5 DR/rage clickie symbiont from von4. Farm for one.
    - deathward/5 charges necklace from necro.
    - stoneskin clickie - nice to have.
    - displace clickie. I had 2. For melee lives, those are priceless.
    - haste clickie : 1 at least. I was constantly hasted during all my lives (heck even for divine/caster lives). Probably around 5k pots per life (counting healing/haste pots & other types).
    - having a solid dragontouched : earthgrab, healing amp & +5 res is nice).
    - pos3 maul or quarterstaff. Res clickies & best undead beater for leveling. Priceless. I made a maul, prolly would make a quarterstaff now as I found myself having a harder time vs undead on the unarmed lives.
    - UMD. +5 cha skill (or +6) GS items are cheap and you probably have one laying around from your caster lives.
    - keep deathward clickies from Tangleroot (at least 2).
    - Pale lavender ioun stone.

    Finally, always keep your HP up. I TRed with a bunch of people who played melees and wouldn't heal unless they were below 50% health. Big mistake, you never know when you are going to roll a 1, get held, grabbed or stunned.

    Oh, and finally. Learn from your mistakes.

    Gl, Sith.

    Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

  17. #17
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Symerith View Post
    You can hit the link to the "Sith project" below - kept track of my past lives and the splits I did - sometimes it was great, sometimes it sucked.


    In general that's what I used...
    For the THF lives (fighter, barb, bard, paladin) - MinII Greatsword.
    For the unarmed lives (monk, ranger, rogue) - Vampiric stonedust handwraps. Don't forget to get a TOD ring holy bursted before you start (trash ring works).

    What really helped :
    - 5 DR/rage clickie symbiont from von4. Farm for one.
    - deathward/5 charges necklace from necro.
    - stoneskin clickie - nice to have.
    - displace clickie. I had 2. For melee lives, those are priceless.
    - haste clickie : 1 at least. I was constantly hasted during all my lives (heck even for divine/caster lives). Probably around 5k pots per life (counting healing/haste pots & other types).
    - having a solid dragontouched : earthgrab, healing amp & +5 res is nice).
    - pos3 maul or quarterstaff. Res clickies & best undead beater for leveling. Priceless. I made a maul, prolly would make a quarterstaff now as I found myself having a harder time vs undead on the unarmed lives.
    - UMD. +5 cha skill (or +6) GS items are cheap and you probably have one laying around from your caster lives.
    - keep deathward clickies from Tangleroot (at least 2).
    - Pale lavender ioun stone.

    Finally, always keep your HP up. I TRed with a bunch of people who played melees and wouldn't heal unless they were below 50% health. Big mistake, you never know when you are going to roll a 1, get held, grabbed or stunned.

    Oh, and finally. Learn from your mistakes.

    Gl, Sith.
    Sith,

    I enjoyed your posting, a lot of useful information.


    I've made some decisions and I want some opinions.

    These are lives I still have to achieve, and how I plan to achieve them (in the order I'm going to do it)

    Cleric:
    Straight Cleric.

    Barbarian:
    Straight Barbarian HOrc, THF Lit II Flachion

    Bard:
    6 Barb/14 Bard HOrc THF Lit II Warchanter

    Monk:
    Straight Monk

    Rogue:
    11 Rogue/9 Monk

    Fighter:
    2 Rogue/9 Monk/9 Fighter
    (Full UMD, ToD)

    Paladin:
    2 Rogue/9 Monk/9 Paladin
    (Full UMD, ToD)

    Ranger:
    1 Rogue/9 Monk/10 Ranger

    Druid:
    17/3 Druid/Monk

    Then Sorc x2, Wizard x1, Cleric x2 to fill in the rest of my spell casters, finishing as a HElf FvS Evoker.

    Need to finish this wiz life and move to cleric so I can get some essentials.

    Checklist before TRing from Cleric:
    Cleansed GS Hit Point Item w/ displacement [ ]
    +3 Tomes across the board [ ]
    Lit 2 Falchion [ ]
    GS Charisma +6 Item w/ Raise Dead [ ]
    Madstone Boots [ ]
    Ventelated Bracers [ ]
    Fernian Handwraps [ ]
    Scorched Handwraps [ ]
    Vampiric Stone Dust Handwraps [ ]
    Leveled Stunning Handwraps [ ]
    200 Silver Flame pots (for Emergency's only) [ ]
    Abbot Quiver [ ]
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  18. #18
    SithDDO Symerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus View Post
    Sith,

    I enjoyed your posting, a lot of useful information.


    I've made some decisions and I want some opinions.

    These are lives I still have to achieve, and how I plan to achieve them (in the order I'm going to do it)

    Cleric:
    Straight Cleric.

    Barbarian:
    Straight Barbarian HOrc, THF Lit II Flachion

    Bard:
    6 Barb/14 Bard HOrc THF Lit II Warchanter

    Monk:
    Straight Monk

    Rogue:
    11 Rogue/9 Monk

    Fighter:
    2 Rogue/9 Monk/9 Fighter
    (Full UMD, ToD)

    Paladin:
    2 Rogue/9 Monk/9 Paladin
    (Full UMD, ToD)

    Ranger:
    1 Rogue/9 Monk/10 Ranger

    Druid:
    17/3 Druid/Monk

    Then Sorc x2, Wizard x1, Cleric x2 to fill in the rest of my spell casters, finishing as a HElf FvS Evoker.

    Need to finish this wiz life and move to cleric so I can get some essentials.

    Checklist before TRing from Cleric:
    Cleansed GS Hit Point Item w/ displacement [ ]
    +3 Tomes across the board [ ]
    Lit 2 Falchion [ ]
    GS Charisma +6 Item w/ Raise Dead [ ]
    Madstone Boots [ ]
    Ventelated Bracers [ ]
    Fernian Handwraps [ ]
    Scorched Handwraps [ ]
    Vampiric Stone Dust Handwraps [ ]
    Leveled Stunning Handwraps [ ]
    200 Silver Flame pots (for Emergency's only) [ ]
    Abbot Quiver [ ]
    IMO for a lot of TR splits, it really comes down to the playstyle. Believe it or not, but a guy more focused on survival will try to get some AC, splash monk for incorporeal, etc, whereas a guy with an aggressive playstyle will probably splash barb and keep frenzy running all the time.
    By that, I'm trying to say not everyone will agree with the splits you do but it's all about what you want to do with it.

    I like the way you are going to do your Ranger, Druid, Paladin, Fighter and Rogue, Monk and Bard.
    However, for the cleric and barbarian, I would do things differently.
    • Cleric : I would do something like 17 cleric, 1 barb, 2 fighter, for the speed boost, haste boost etc. Or just 19 cleric / 1 fighter. All that matters on a TR is the 18th level, it would look like 15 cleric/1 barb/2 fighter or 17 cleric/1fighter. The problem on a pure cleric is that you will be limited by your low mana pool. If you splash for melee, your DCs will still be the same (18 str/18wis, rest con on a Horc). The way to play a cleric melee would be melee enemies if they are far from each other, then occasionally toss a cometfall+BB when you have many mobs and that is an instakill It's also very fun to play because you are using many buttons and there's a lot of thinking going on. A good player will analyse every situation quick and know when to use what. I'm a huge fan of BB+cometfall or cometfall+firestorm+fire strike (different factors : reflex save of mobs, HP, distance between mobs, other factors such as if you have other ppl in group, mana that's left, if mobs are static (archers) or can be kited, etc.)
    • Barbarian : In my experience, Haste boost > Damage Boost so I'd go 18 Barb/2 fighter. For leveling, it's all about short fights and you try to avoid fighting as much as you can by using invis. So you want those fights to be as short as possible. 2 fighter offers 1 str (meh, your strenght score is often going to be uneven and on a TR spree, you just aren't going to adjust stats, enhancements and gear every level), 2 feats (you can pick up a fighter level as your 2nd level, get FBI at 7) so you can pick more feats more early, and haste. A barb usually looks like this :
      1 - Two Handed Fighting
      3 - Power Attack
      6 - Cleave
      9 - Improved critical: Slashing
      12 - Improved Two Handed Fighting
      15 - Greater Two Handed Fighting
      18 - Toughness
      With 2 fighter levels you could pick up stunning blow and great cleave for example.


    I'm not really good at long explanations so I just threw some ideas as they came, good luck with the TR spree.
    Last edited by Symerith; 11-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.

    Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

  19. #19
    Community Member Purkilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus View Post

    Bard:
    6 Barb/14 Bard HOrc THF Lit II Warchanter

    [ ]
    I would do 6 fighter here instead of barb as you can not cast when you are raged.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I can't say what would best fit your playstyle, but I can tell you what I did.

    Cleric-bard-paladin-fighter-barbarian-Wiz-Sorc-monk-ranger-(next order is druid-arti-rog-FS.)

    I grouped them this way on purpose. Cleric--barbarian were pure and used falcions either by class feat or helf fighter dillante. I have sets of light/med/heavy/outfits b/c I TR so often, so that is someting I have a lot of. Falcions through 5 lives and somewhat useable on more was handy. While on the falcion lives, I collected casting weapons and scimitars for the ranger-FS lives. This keeps the gear swaps to a minimum --4 major categories (falcions, spell, wraps, scimitars.) All of my toons were heavy DPS and self healing. (Never gimped dex --get AC where needed.) The crit profile/base damage and the proficiency abilities on scimitars & falcions are why I went with them. I have some preference based choices that may or may not work for you: I don't like to play ranged, and I prefer to play the class I'm TRing for to get a good feel for it rather than 'splash it in to get it done.'

    I have a LOT of clerics lol. Pure cleric does more casting damage than melee cleric. I'd go healing/casting build there. Wis/Con/Cha with some str/dex. High wis = spell pen. Sometimes I implode drow. ^^ (Mammadrow said go away.)

    Bard--warchanter (this was before the spellsinger changes) used falcions, could self heal & buff. Went pure. Cha/STR/Con build with minimal spell based crowd crontrol.

    Paladin--bit of Wis, bit more Cha, STR/CON build. Used some lower heal scrolls and SF pots to heal. Falcions & some scimitar & shield-- pure build.

    Figher--pure build, falcions w/ some scimitar & shield. STR/CON some int and wis. Relied heavily on SF pots, cure pots, and pouch of jerky.

    Barbarian --went pure, same as fighter w/ less int.

    Monk--y dex based monks suck. Never again. If your to-hit is already good, it doesn't have the dps I was looking for, lesson learned. My first life str monk was doing more damage. Light is self-healing, high ac, high wis, high str/con. I've run with some awsome dark monks--great things can be done and I hear ToD until my eyes bleed. But at the end of the day I run with a light monk all the time. He rarely gets hit, needs few heals (2 man most endgame w/ him and my healer only) and often has a higher kill count than any dark monk in the party. I can run with him and things just go faster with the monk needing less from other party members. I like his build and I'd build it over ToD any day.

    Ranger--went 18 ranger/1 fighter/1 rog. Can get eVon traps, but not cabal. Dual scimitars, high STR/Con, high Int, rest into dex. UMD is in the 50s unbuffed. Can self heal via scrolls, use pretty much anything. Damage was high but not OMG high. This was an extremely versitile toon, but I found it boring. It could do anything, but it didn't excel at anything.

    Rogue- 2 lives left before this. Not sure if falcions or scimatars yet, but one of the 2. UMD for healing.
    Last edited by bibliomane; 11-12-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Orien: Mammadrow, Southrn Comfort

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload