Community Member

Default Chance of the Life Stealing

I am troubled.

Will you watch these?

http://forums.ddo.com/attachment.php...1&d=1350677481

The Life Stealing of the Sacrifice Dagger exercises it with a critical roll.

http://forums.ddo.com/attachment.php...1&d=1350677481

The Life Stealing of the Cormyrian Rapier exercises it only at the time of roll 20.

Which specifications will be right?

Please teach it ><
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Those both say the exact same thing. Are you saying you tried them out and the rapier doesn't appear to be working correctly? How many times did you try and in what way? It does say a "chance" so I wouldn't expect it it every critical hit.

Community Member

I think that Rapier does not function definitely

I tested it in EPIC Elite of Don't Drink the Water many times.

From the information you provided the life stealing component is exactly the same.

The rapier with its higher threat range will proc more often than the daggers.

Rapier base 15% chance
    Dagger base 10% chance

Rapier is definitely better, and it should be since its ML is 4 levels higher than the dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Houzy01 View Post
    I think that Rapier does not function definitely

I tested it in EPIC Elite of Don't Drink the Water many times.
    When testing items, you should usually test it in NON EPIC content first to see if its functioning correctly. In epic content, mobs may have gobs of fortification and your crit would be ignored, thus the life steal component will not take effect since it requires a successful crit.

I should add, this is the major drawback of Life Stealing vs. Enervation. Life steal can proc more often but requires a successful critical to go off, whereas enervation procs less often but does not require a critical hit. Against heavy fortification mobs, you're better off using enervation overall.
    Last edited by ferrite; 10-19-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    When testing items, you should usually test it in NON EPIC content first to see if its functioning correctly. In epic content, mobs may have gobs of fortification and your crit would be ignored, thus the life steal component will not take effect since it requires a successful crit.

I should add, this is the major drawback of Life Stealing vs. Enervation. Life steal can proc more often but requires a successful critical to go off, whereas enervation procs less often but does not require a critical hit. Against heavy fortification mobs, you're better off using enervation overall.
    I try it hastily!

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post

Not 100% certain this is the case. Burst and blast effects only happen on crits, but do so without successful crits on fort targets.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post
    Not 100% certain this is the case. Burst and blast effects only happen on crits, but do so without successful crits on fort targets.

I tested it on elites of [The Loads of Dust]

Target mobs are Cultists and dogs.

After all the life steal of Rapier exercises it only at the time of roll 20.

The rapier you got is a fantastic weapon. I have had the same problem with a cormyrian weapon i finally got recently (with life stealing, etc.): life stealing only procs on 20, regardless of having corresponding improved critical feat or not.

I submitted a bug report and also started a thread warning other players. No developer answer about the subject. Unfortunately, it's a problem (I do believe it is indeed a bug) few might be affected with, and therefore I don't have much faith this will soon be given attention and care.

Greetings.

Would like to know if the dagger criticals are draining levels on 19-20 and if possible on 17-20 with Improved critical.

Thanks in advance

Wow, great pull. Sorry it doesn't work!
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Interesting
    My acrobats vampiric staff of shadows always seemed to drain more than my dreamspitter I figured it was just random chance or perception (don't use Vsos much)

Great now I have to go and test
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbaragum View Post
    Would like to know if the dagger criticals are draining levels on 19-20 and if possible on 17-20 with Improved critical.

Thanks in advance
    Sorry. I think my explanation was not clear enough.

To clarify:

A) Life steal chance on normal weapons (dreamspitter, obscenity suffix, sacrificial dagger, etc.) is equal to your critical hit chance (assuming you confirm your hit, of course); life steal "procs" (takes place) on confirmed critical hits (yes, with improved critical, sacrificial dagger activates the effect (ceteris paribus) on 17-20).

B) Life steal on cormyrian weapons: confirmed 20. This appears to be a bug as description is the same as the "normal" weapons description.

Have fun!