Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Elven AA Bard?

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Elven AA Bard?

    I've wanted to try making an arcane archer bard for a long time, and finally got around to doing so. I've just reached level 8, and am having second thoughts about the build I had planned out. I'll spare you most of the details, but basically my build is Chaotic Good Elf, 12 bard/6 fighter/2 ranger. The fighter levels are mostly for feats, base attack bonus (for my manyshot), and Kensei I with longbow mastery. The ranger levels also help with BAB for manyshot, and give me bow strength and rapidshot free.

    What I'm having second thoughts about is that perhaps my split is too deep, and I'd really be hurting myself by only taking 12 bard levels. Any general comments or advice on the build are appreciated, but what I'm really interested in hearing opinions on is whether or not 12 bard levels is enough.

    Specifically, I may take 2 more bard levels, and 2 fewer fighter levels. This would give me more skill points, Improved Inspire Courage (+2), access to 5th level bard spells (greater heroism, in particular), and of course +2 to my caster level. However it would mean I can't take fighter kensei prestige (lower dps), cost me a feat, and drop my BAB by half a point.

    Anyone tried a build like this? Any advice at all?

  2. #2
    Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    *looks around* I don't know...
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandaman View Post
    I've wanted to try making an arcane archer bard for a long time, and finally got around to doing so. I've just reached level 8, and am having second thoughts about the build I had planned out. I'll spare you most of the details, but basically my build is Chaotic Good Elf, 12 bard/6 fighter/2 ranger. The fighter levels are mostly for feats, base attack bonus (for my manyshot), and Kensei I with longbow mastery. The ranger levels also help with BAB for manyshot, and give me bow strength and rapidshot free.

    What I'm having second thoughts about is that perhaps my split is too deep, and I'd really be hurting myself by only taking 12 bard levels. Any general comments or advice on the build are appreciated, but what I'm really interested in hearing opinions on is whether or not 12 bard levels is enough.

    Specifically, I may take 2 more bard levels, and 2 fewer fighter levels. This would give me more skill points, Improved Inspire Courage (+2), access to 5th level bard spells (greater heroism, in particular), and of course +2 to my caster level. However it would mean I can't take fighter kensei prestige (lower dps), cost me a feat, and drop my BAB by half a point.

    Anyone tried a build like this? Any advice at all?
    I have a bard 16 ranger 2 rogue 2 spell singer, before settling for this build it was:
    - bard 16 ftr 2 ranger 2
    - ranger 11 bard 8 rogue 1
    - bard 12 ranger 6 rogue 2

    Get as many bard levels as you can fit into your build, the small increase in dps in no way makes up for the lack of Inspired Excellence, lower self healing or loss of lvl 6 spells (Oto works just fine on low/no SR mobs), the lowish length of songs and other weaker buffs (group and self) will make your support toon less useful in a party too.

    Keep in mind that epic lvls each add +1 full BAB, meaning you should add +5 BAB to any split you can think off, having 16+ for max Many Shot won't be an issue.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

  3. #3
    Community Member junta74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    223

    Default

    What do you want to accomplish besides DPS?
    WC, Vert, or SS?

    The level 6 spells and Inspire Greatness are plenty of reason to get to level 16. B16/R2/F2 will get you enough feats. I currently have

    PBS
    WF Ranged
    Manyshot
    Precise Shot
    IPS
    Improved Crit
    Maximize
    Extend
    Toughness

    I added Precision and Force of Personality during epic levels.
    I just got him to level 25 today doing mostly solo work (including some EH.)

    I'm thinking about getting rid of the 2 ranger and focusing on more bardy goodness on my next life and going with Vert for some extra crowd control (a lot easier to line up mobs for IPS)

    Here's some more info

    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ight=bardchers

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    Get as many bard levels as you can fit into your build, the small increase in dps in no way makes up for the lack of Inspired Excellence, lower self healing or loss of lvl 6 spells (Oto works just fine on low/no SR mobs), the lowish length of songs and other weaker buffs (group and self) will make your support toon less useful in a party too.

    Keep in mind that epic lvls each add +1 full BAB, meaning you should add +5 BAB to any split you can think off, having 16+ for max Many Shot won't be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by junta74 View Post
    What do you want to accomplish besides DPS?
    WC, Vert, or SS?

    The level 6 spells and Inspire Greatness are plenty of reason to get to level 16. B16/R2/F2 will get you enough feats.
    My intent was to go virtuoso, for the song of capering, regenerating songs, and longer durations (to help make up for my lack of bard levels). I've pretty well gimped my DCs, by sacrificing charisma a bit in order to put out more DPS, and with the heavy split I'll have fewer songs and shorter durations, so the virtuoso line seemed a good way to compensate. That's not set in stone though, since after reading your opinions I'm thinking 16 bard levels is a better idea.

    The idea for this build originally was based on putting out ranged DPS, with the support abilities taking a back seat. I do realize that's a bit strange (and some would say ineffective), to be primarily bard and not want to be a support character, but I really just wasn't satisfied with the somewhat limited role of an arcane archer, and wanted to add a bit of flavor. It's sounding like it won't be impossible to do both though, without sacrificing too much damage. Thanks for your input, and any more would still be appreciated, of course.

  5. #5
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,794

    Default

    At this point, my view is bards should either go for at least lvl 15 to get Inspire Heroics and access to Inspire Excellence (+2 to all stats) as one of your epic feats; or maybe do something more heavily-multiclassed like Arlathen's build (Tempest but easily adapted to AA instead).

  6. #6
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    I definitely agree that 15 bard is crucial for the power epic song. After that it is some combination of 2 ranger, 2 fighter or 2-3 rogue really. Rogue ends up with less DPS (assuming that you have access to half-elf for rogue dilettante) but makes the character more useful with evasion and trap skills.

    Virtuoso is my PrE of choice though Spellsinger could work too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  7. #7
    Community Member moriedhel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    383

    Default

    I'm going to go against the consensus here and say: give yourself as much power as you want because extra DPS in your hands is worth more than extra DPS in anybody else's hands.

    If you solo obviously having better personal damage will make things work faster. If you party with other people, small incremental bonuses of +1,+2, +3 will not make or break them. If they are good players you will succeed, if they are bad players giving them an extra +1 IC bonus, +1 from epic song, +2 from GH or whatever else you want will probably not make them be better players.

    The only exception is raids where small incremental bonuses will actually make things go faster and the chance of failing even with 1-2 bad players is still smaller.

    PS: You can scroll GH.

  8. #8
    Community Member 96th_Malice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pulling my arrows out of your chest
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Heya

    Have a first life Elven AA Spellsinger Bard

    16 Bard / 2 Ranger / 2 Fighter

    The toon works great .... I went spellsinger instead of warchanter casue its usually the casters that require more help than the melee in quests.

    Have solo healed Hard Shroud a few times after the one cleric died.

    NO epic gear .... but a few raid items help for sure.

    However to me ( like the other 17 of my archer builds ) the archer portion of the toon always comes first.

    Build it how you want .... play it how you want to play it .... just make sure the toon is viable enough to help out as a bard in the party.

    Later
    " Elize Ryd - Officer @ Band of Gypsys "


    " Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

    Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload