Default Ok to Finally buy the Expansion

When the expansion came out I took a break from the game. Bugs and doo0oom!!@!(TM) would certainly ensue and it has.

So... is the concensus that it's now worthwhile to buy the Expansion and come back or should I return to my corner for another 6 months.

I like it. I would say that it brings lots of change. I think it's all about perspective, and will try to summarise effectively below.

Pro's

Beautiful areas/quests.
    Epic destinies can be fun, and add a lot to the player experience.
    The 4 tier epic system can work. Epic Elite is insane at times.

Con's

Bugs. How many or how prevalent is down to personal experience
    Endgame. It all feels a bit odd now that ToD/velah/chrono etc isn't top of the agenda, a little bit directionless and 'waiting for the next big thing'.
    New raid. Long and not very rewarding.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    When the expansion came out I took a break from the game. Bugs and doo0oom!!@!(TM) would certainly ensue and it has.

So... is the concensus that it's now worthwhile to buy the Expansion and come back or should I return to my corner for another 6 months.
    The explorer areas are very well done, especially the underground ones. There are still bugs, including text that says "DNT TBD" three months after the expansion launched. Because doing a string search on your code base is difficult, evidently.

The expansion has already been on sale twice at 50% off for the credit card purchase, so I would recommend waiting for a sale. If you plan to buy just the adventure packs using TP in the DDO store, you'll want to grab the Epic Destinies as well. Leveling from 21-25 without EDs is like leveling from 1-20 without spending any enhancement points.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by grayham View Post
    I like it. I would say that it brings lots of change. I think it's all about perspective, and will try to summarise effectively below.

Pro's

Beautiful areas/quests.
    Epic destinies can be fun, and add a lot to the player experience.
    The 4 tier epic system can work. Epic Elite is insane at times.

Con's

Bugs. How many or how prevalent is down to personal experience
    Endgame. It all feels a bit odd now that ToD/velah/chrono etc isn't top of the agenda, a little bit directionless and 'waiting for the next big thing'.
    New raid. Long and not very rewarding.
    This is accurate. Awesome art design, armors/weapons/helmets/shield skins, probably the best part of the expansion.

The bugs are pretty awful, but most have been discovered, so if you read the forums you'll know what to avoid. Some are unavoidable and seemingly random.

I, for instance, have one that will erase my Bravery Bonus if I EVER do a quest lower than Hard, even if I have done it before, others have gamebreaking LR bugs, so don't LR and don't worry about BB, and the other bugs are completely avoidable (if you take the time to read up on them).

End game is more about your XP and new powers and less about TRs and raids. If you loved TRing or raiding... the game is not as fun. There are 2 endgame raids and a near consensus that one of them sucks. Some people like it... but they're few and far between. VoN 5/6 is still run, it still has the best weapon and armor in the game. In fact red scale has been upgraded, and half of that still comes from VoN 6 (the scales themselves) and the other half from the new raid. And they added Green Scale (which comes from a very easy quest in the expansion, which needs to be ground to death... but soloable).

The more common endgame is grinding XP. You could still TR even w/o the expansion, but the end levels of TRing are brutal now. 18-20 has few LFMs, since all 20s are doing are epics, you're left with few quests at 18-19 and TONS of XP needed to get there (and they nerfed XP from challenges).

They also 'nerfed' heal and mass heal, though it's less of a huge deal than some made it if you solo most of the time (since they made heal amp very easy to acquire, so it 'almost' balances if you have full amp. You just need to hope those you PUG with do too.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Khimberlhyte View Post
    The explorer areas are very well done, especially the underground ones. There are still bugs, including text that says "DNT TBD" three months after the expansion launched. Because doing a string search on your code base is difficult, evidently.

The expansion has already been on sale twice at 50% off for the credit card purchase, so I would recommend waiting for a sale. If you plan to buy just the adventure packs using TP in the DDO store, you'll want to grab the Epic Destinies as well. Leveling from 21-25 without EDs is like leveling from 1-20 without spending any enhancement points.
    This is also very true. If you are the kind of person who will get upset that very easy to fix bugs are still around months later... not for you. I mean, they're embarassing, but also not a big deal. Just embarassing.

And, if you're the kind of person that will be upset you spent full price only to see a 1/2 off sale the next day... wait. It'll be on sale soon (I'd say next major holiday or two, at the very least).

Quote Originally Posted by countfitz View Post
    And, if you're the kind of person that will be upset you spent full price only to see a 1/2 off sale the next day... wait. It'll be on sale soon (I'd say next major holiday or two, at the very least).
    If you are going to buy it with TP however, you should still have a few hours left to "determine your discount" and get it for 25% less TP before that promotion ends.

Community Member

Nope. Not worth it

AJ

Community Member

Despite all our *****ing the expansion is excellent and well worth it. Buy it.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I'm somewhere between like and don't like.

I wont touch changes in game rules that went with motu, because you got them free when expansion came live.

Graphically, areas looks nice, but its a little too LotRO like (at least for me).

Quests are generally nice in gameplay, but story is quite weak (if you pay attention to it), but there are only two difficulty levels- very tough elite, and easy casual with three different names.

Wilderness areas are vast and looks nice, but explorer points are Cannith Manufactury letter styled, and are sometimes hard to notice. Plus, King's Forest is extremally big, but it feels empty- if you're alone or in small party, you won't get many mobs. This, in addition to rare encounters' spawn chances makes area boring to run.

Raid is boring and feels lacking- loot good only for few classes, and low commendation (barter item required to upgrade loot) drop rates, in addition to raid's design, makes it boring and unfun. Many random generated items are now better than your old epic loot now.

Epic Destiny system has replaced leveling- sure, there are some new nice feats, but whole power of your character comes from EDs. Everyone advances in commoner class, which adds only HP, saves, BAB and skills.

Buy or not?
    Well, overall yes. Despite all my complains, quests are nice to play, and, besides, what else are you going to do now, when everyone plays with FR?
    Plus, if you get bored with epic levels, you can play with new druid class, if you're going to buy the full expansion pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post

I'm recently back after a little more than a year off. Got burned out doing the endgame
    raid grind. Was doing some reading about Epic Destinies, and really liked what I saw.
    So I popped for the expansion and I have to say it is just delightful to be back, playing
    my 20s, and really enjoying just questing, getting XP for it, and fiddling around with
    the Epic Destinies. I'm not hard core or "fully geared" but my builds are made for
    soloing, and the Epic Normal content has enough challenge for solo play that I
    feel like I accomplished something when I complete.

So, if any of that sounds like fun to you, then I'd say do it.

The expansion still feels like beta content honestly. Some of the major issues still exist with tons of little ones to round out the bunch.

I would not bother until endgame really has something worth running again. At this point they nuetered the loot rewards for old epics compared to the new stuff (super easy to aquire so it will not take you long) and the only new raid was /meh.

I would say wait another six months. Next update does not have a raid either so no real hope for endgame until update after next.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Personally, I love the MOTU stuff. The quests have put the fun back into it (other than the raid, which is just...odd). The explorer areas are nice and fun to run around in. The destinies are a lot of fun to play with. But one player's ooh cool! is another players totally lame, so you have to decide for yourself.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!