Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Aglabac View Post
    I like rogue splash, love to be trapper.
    Pallies only get 2 skill points per level + int mod. In order to trap during elite streaks on a tr you'll need to max search and disable device, so that's 4 skill points right there. You really do want UMD, so that's another 2 points. Concentration is awesome but we can sacrifice a feat to take quicken and dump concetration. Balance & Jump can be dumped for traps. That means 6 skill points per level, with a base of 3 if human. So 14 int with a +2 tome.

36pt build
    str 18 +5 levelups
    dex 8
    con 14
    int 14 (+2 tome)
    wis 8
    cha 15

This gives us the following skill points:
    1 rogue (max everything related to trapping plus whatever else you like)
    2-7 pally: +1 search, +1 disable, +0.5 umd
    8 rogue: catch up on whatever you like; spot is sadly a dump skill from here on out
    9-20: +1 search, +1 disable, +1 umd

To fit in quicken I'd drop force of personality once you get spells by paying fred for a feat respec.

Community Member

Ty for a quick reply
    Stats and skill points do not matter me. I was thinking 16 str 16 cons 15 cha. +4 int tome has been eaten
    My problem is:
    Is worth 16/2 pal/rog than 15/2/1 pal/rog/x? I was thinking fighter melee extra feat or
    Wiz extra feat and skill points

Wizard gets the same skill points as fighter. However, wizard gives echoes of power, which is quite nice.

15 pally levels is the magic number. Everything above that is essentially the same, so 15/2/1 would be fine.

Community Member

So what would you choose for the last lvl fighter, wiz, monk...?
    when would you choose?
    What feats would you choose?
    Thf or twf?
    I will solo many quests

Quote Originally Posted by Aglabac View Post
    So what would you choose for the last lvl fighter, wiz, monk...?
    when would you choose?
    What feats would you choose?
    Thf or twf?
    I will solo many quests
    Me? I would choose the build as written. This is a build thread, not a general pally thread. Since you're asking about THF or TWF, I might suggest you make a new thread.

Community Member

I don't know a lot of about melees but what do you think of 15Pal/3Rog/2Ftr?
    I'd be able to take everything on the feat list except the tactical feat.

What level progression would you suggest for someone without necro1 and deleras?
    HotD vs DoS? Which is better when?

On the 32pt build (which I have), is there a reason that you went with 18 STR, 8 DEX instead of 16 STR, 14 DEX? +3 Reflex saves and AC seems pretty good. It's also extra to-hit incase you ever need to use a bow.
    Last edited by Udoben; 04-18-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Community Member

Quick noob question.
    How do you cast spells with an 8 wis, do you have to make it up with gear or pots?

Verby

Quote Originally Posted by Verby View Post
    How do you cast spells with an 8 wis, do you have to make it up with gear or pots?
    Correct.

I just noticed that you've put force of personality in as a feat choice.. Really? I thought you were trying to help new players

A paladin will need to put on a wisdom item to cast spells anyway, at low levels with Divine Grace your paladin, with such a heavy cha investment, will have more than ample will saves. With your setup at level 3 Force of personality is only a +3 difference (8 wis vs 15cha) At cap, it may get up to a +6 difference. Very little on a toon that's likely to get 45+ will saves.

A better feat order, especially for newer paladins with lacking gear is.

@ level 3 - Cleave
    @ level 6 - Great Cleave
    @ level 15 - Quicken

Early Aoe damage and quicken in the mid levels will help them out more than force of personality ever would. New paladins are far more likely to fail a concentration check than they are to fail a will save. You know it's true.

If you really are worried about newer players and will saves, you should push them towards protection from evil and magic circle against evil.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 07-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.

The will saves issue is more about hold person; command is easily countered with self-cast protection from evil.

For my pally the feat is worth +4 will saves, which is a pretty nice value from a feat. There is enough dancing ball in EH content that I'm still happy to have that feat.

I do, however, agree that cleave and great cleave need to be more emphasized, and the earlier taken the better.

I think quicken would be worse in that it would tend to use up all your mana. A lot of people have been saying lately that concentration doesn't work, but this has not been my experience at all. I find that concentration works great.

Community Member

I have been following this build to level my first character and I am now almost level 10. I noticed once I got the 2nd rogue level that the evasion doesn't work while wearing heavy armour.

I'm currently wearing +4 Battle Plate which is about +16AC I think and I'm worried that if I swap out to light armour I'll lose a ton of AC and get hit a lot more.

Do I need to have light armour for evasion to work or does it just have to be "not heavy" (i.e. does evasion work in medium armours)?

Should I be wearing light armour while leveling in order to benefit from evasion or was evasion mainly got for end game content and I should stick with high AC while leveling?

Thanks!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KaptainO View Post
    Do I need to have light armour for evasion to work
    Yes (or robes).
    Should I be wearing light armour while leveling in order to benefit from evasion or was evasion mainly got for end game content and I should stick with high AC while leveling?
    It depends. I have a dwarf ftr 12 / monk 2 / pal 3 build I've been revisiting recently. Despite having Evasion, I usually wear Cavalry Plate because it has a nice mix of survivability bonuses and my mid-teen lt armors currently all suck; I switch to Crimson Chain when I think I need Evasion. I plan to grab Parasitic Breastplate (pro'ly upgraded w/Displacement guard) + Sustaining Symbiont, but I'm not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KaptainO View Post
    I only wear light armor. On my first life I went with Crimson Chain. Another option is Marilith Chain.

No matter how you slice it, this isn't really an AC (or even PRR) build. But if you feel more comfortable in heavy armor, sure, why not. Just watch out for traps and spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I think I might push the fighter level back to 18 if only to get to cure serious + zeal as quickly as possible, which requires 15 pally levels.

Pally 15 is the magic number; the next 3 levels really only get you 10% more amp. So if you want to skip 3 pally levels, there shouldn't be much difference. Those 3 levels can easily be fighter @ 18 and skipped (due to banking) pally @ 19 & 20.
    From looking at the current enhancement preview data in the wiki (which I sort of hope isn't quite final yet... I was looking forward to free ghost touch with my paladin in a couple of levels), that last 10% amp isn't likely to require 18 paladin. Instead, there'd be a tier of the "slayer of evil" line with deltas of +2 to-hit, +2d6 damage and +1 saves against chosen line of foe (either undead or evil outsiders) over the previous tier.

So, assuming that part stays like that... would it make more sense than previously to add that 1 fighter for a tactical feat, or even 1 wizard for a metamagic feat, at that point?

I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to add more rogue at that point anyway.

(At my playing speed I might get there next year, but, just planning ahead... and I should IIRC have one annoyingly un-self-sufficient human toon with an unopened birthday box too, if the thing about +20 LR tokens was for real...)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

I know this isn't specific to this build, but i always wanted to make a drow two weapon fighting pally with evasion.

Do you think that two weapon fighting paladins will be dead with the changes to divine might?

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I know this isn't specific to this build, but i always wanted to make a drow two weapon fighting pally with evasion.

Do you think that two weapon fighting paladins will be dead with the changes to divine might?
    It sure doesn't help them, but I don't think it kills them, no.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I plan to redo this build after the enhancement pass goes live, likely with a new thread.
    im close to capping on a 2nd life of this build. i look forward to reading your updates to the build.

on a side note, will you be updating your other builds?
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by thouston View Post
    im close to capping on a 2nd life of this build. i look forward to reading your updates to the build.

on a side note, will you be updating your other builds?
    I will indeed. This build just took a hit a couple minutes ago, but I can happily go a different way. (Just realized that Sacred Defense stance probably prevents Adrenaline...*sad panda*) The pale trapper is essentially done, but I haven't gotten to the challenge farmer monk or fighter/cleric builds yet. I've PM'ed back and forth with unbongwah and will be posting a new version of his tempest trapmonkey as well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678