Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'd advise against re-rolling just to bump up your WIS; this is a stat-starved build as it is and the need for a WIS item is a minor nuisance at best.

I find the sacred band from red fens (wisdom +4, +2 turns, ML7) is a nice way to handle the wisdom problem on a first life.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Here are some gear ideas to consider:
    My weapons are currently the following, but I still check the ah for any good upgrades. Once risia comes and I icy burst these, upgrades will be tough to find, I think.

Standard: +6 Holy Burst falchion of Superior Bloodletting
    Neutrals: +4 Impellent falchion of Greater Bloodletting
    Plus an assortment of crafted dr breakers.
    Ellis, For at least the "Unbridled Fury Epic Moment" have you tried Great Axes verses Falchions? I would think that the Great Axe would be much better during the moment with Adrenalized hits every 3 seconds. Likely more memorable during other times but the Falchion gives smaller crits much more often otherwise.

Also, have you tried Adrenalized Momentum Swings as compared to Adrenalized Smites? I am curious how they compare from your perspective on single targets (though the Adrenalized Momentum Swing should be crazy good if you are surrounded).
    Last edited by Nodoze; 01-25-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoze View Post
    Ellis, For at least the "Unbridled Fury Epic Moment" have you tried Great Axes verses Falchions? I would think that the Great Axe would be much better during the moment with Adrenalized hits every 3 seconds. Likely more memorable during other times but the Falchion gives smaller crits much more often otherwise.
    I was thinking of greataxes, or maybe if a 20x4 named two-hander exists that would be best of all. Haven't tried it yet though.

Also, have you tried Adrenalized Momentum Swings as compared to Adrenalized Smites? I am curious how they compare from your perspective on single targets (though the Adrenalized Momentum Swing should be crazy good if you are surrounded).
    I'm very curious too, though lately I've been way into my casters, particularly in terms of gearsets once U17 goes live. Next time we get a 20% epic xp bonus weekend I'll be back to my melees farming twists, so likely will try it then.

Community Member

I'm new to DDO and D&D in general.

I wanted to follow a basic Paladin build for my first time. I'm looking at this build and I'm completely confused...

How am I supposed to put all those skill points in at level 1? I have 12 points to begin with. Can someone help?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hedvald View Post
    I'm new to DDO and D&D in general.

I wanted to follow a basic Paladin build for my first time. I'm looking at this build and I'm completely confused...

How am I supposed to put all those skill points in at level 1? I have 12 points to begin with. Can someone help?
    If you have 12 skill pts you didn't follow this build. The OP started as a 1st level rogue. Rogues get 8 skill points/level and at first level you get *4 skill pts, so that's 32 skill points to spend at level 1 (which is why people take the rogue level first).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inouk View Post
    If you have 12 skill pts you didn't follow this build. The OP started as a 1st level rogue. Rogues get 8 skill points/level and at first level you get *4 skill pts, so that's 32 skill points to spend at level 1 (which is why people take the rogue level first).
    How do you change class? =/

I'm new to this.

Community Member

How do you change class? =/

I'm new to this.
    If you are level 1 and haven't invested anything into the character yet I would say re-roll (delete and remake). Once your character is established, like say you are level 14 and decide you made a critical mistake and need to change a class level, you can get a +1 heart of wood to lesser reincarnate, which will let you rebuild your character with up to 1 class level changed (I think these hearts can be bought/found up to +4). Technically these hearts can be looted, but they are extraordinarily rare, so most likely you would have to buy one off of the DDO store. But at level 1... just start over man. Lesser reincarnates are also good for correcting major errors in allocating skill, stats or feats, but cannot be used to change race or sex. Feats can be reset separately for a cost, and enhancements can be reset for just platinum, so they are easy.

Community Member

If you are level 1 and haven't invested anything into the character yet I would say re-roll (delete and remake). Once your character is established, like say you are level 14 and decide you made a critical mistake and need to change a class level, you can get a +1 heart of wood to lesser reincarnate, which will let you rebuild your character with up to 1 class level changed (I think these hearts can be bought/found up to +4). Technically these hearts can be looted, but they are extraordinarily rare, so most likely you would have to buy one off of the DDO store. But at level 1... just start over man. Lesser reincarnates are also good for correcting major errors in allocating skill, stats or feats, but cannot be used to change race or sex. Feats can be reset separately for a cost, and enhancements can be reset for just platinum, so they are easy.
    Ok, thank you.

Can I get something straight, this isn't actually a Paladin build? It's a Rogue built to be a Paladin?

If that's the case, why wouldn't everyone just build a Rogue for the extra points?

Sorry and thank you for patience. I'm just a bit confused now.

Community Member

Ok, thank you.

Can I get something straight, this isn't actually a Paladin build? It's a Rogue built to be a Paladin?

If that's the case, why wouldn't everyone just build a Rogue for the extra points?

Sorry and thank you for patience. I'm just a bit confused now.
    No, this is a paladin build. The build has 18 levels of paladin, and "splashes" 2 levels of rogue. The rogue levels are added to give the build the evasion ability granted to rogues at level 2 and the bucket load of skills granted by rogue also. As such, you start the character as a rogue at 1st level, but design it towards your goal of being a paladin. Starting at 2nd level you take paladin levels (taking another rogue level at 8th I think), so really you are a paladin with a splash of rogue. Levels 1 and 8 are optimal for taking rogue to maximize your rogue skill pts, and evasion isn't really needed until about 8th.

Some further notes on this. Losing 2 paladin levels doesn't cost you much, you gain much more from the 2 rogue levels you gain. HOWEVER... in order to benefit from evasion (which is VERY powerful) you must be in light armor or less (cloth armor, naked). So to take advantage of this build you lose the advantages gained from wearing plate armor (however, you can don your plate armor when you feel it will be of more use than evasion).
    Last edited by Inouk; 02-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Community Member

No, this is a paladin build. The build has 18 levels of paladin, and "splashes" 2 levels of rogue. The rogue levels are added to give the build the evasion ability granted to rogues at level 2 and the bucket load of skills granted by rogue also. As such, you start the character as a rogue at 1st level, but design it towards your goal of being a paladin. Starting at 2nd level you take paladin levels (taking another rogue level at 8th I think), so really you are a paladin with a splash of rogue. Levels 1 and 8 are optimal for taking rogue to maximize your rogue skill pts, and evasion isn't really needed until about 8th.

Some further notes on this. Losing 2 paladin levels doesn't cost you much, you gain much more from the 2 rogue levels you gain. HOWEVER... in order to benefit from evasion (which is VERY powerful) you must be in light armor or less (cloth armor, naked). So to take advantage of this build you lose the advantages gained from wearing plate armor (however, you can don your plate armor when you feel it will be of more use than evasion).
    Thank you for your help, my pre-conditioned MMO mindset was about to explode. I had no idea you could take other classes levels.

Are you viewed as a Paladin to others? If I was in someones friendlist would I be listed as a Paladin or a Rogue?

Are you viewed as a Paladin to others? If I was in someones friendlist would I be listed as a Paladin or a Rogue?
    People can see you are multi-class, so it really doesn't matter. In someone's friend list it will show both classes and the levels. Only at level 1 will you appear as a rogue only.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    People can see you are multi-class, so it really doesn't matter. In someone's friend list it will show both classes and the levels. Only at level 1 will you appear as a rogue only.
    But the icon that shows up by your name to represent your class will show up as whichever class has the most levels. In the case of a tie, whichever class got to that level first (so at level 2 when you have 1 rog/1 pal your icon will still be rogue).

Thank you for your help, my pre-conditioned MMO mindset was about to explode. I had no idea you could take other classes levels.
    This is what makes D&D-based games special: At every level, you can decide if you want to train as a Rogue, Paladin, Monk or Fighter for example. DDO has a limit of at most 3 different classes, there are some alignment restrictions (you can't be a Paladin Barbarian or a Monk Bard), and a lot of combinations don't make much sense, but the vastness of possible class combinations contribute to the diversity and versatility in this game.

Having a look at http://ddowiki.com/page/Classes and http://ddowiki.com/page/Multiclassing will provide some additional information on multiclassing.

In the case of a tie, whichever class got to that level first (so at level 2 when you have 1 rog/1 pal your icon will still be rogue).
    As far as I know, this is not correct: In case of a tie, the order is an almost alphabetical one: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, Monk, Favored Soul, Artificer, Druid.
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 02-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    This is what makes D&D-based games special: At every level, you can decide if you want to train as a Rogue, Paladin, Monk or Fighter for example. DDO has a limit of at most 3 different classes, there are some alignment restrictions (you can't be a Paladin Barbarian or a Monk Bard), and a lot of combinations don't make much sense, but the vastness of possible class combinations contribute to the diversity and versatility in this game.

Having a look at http://ddowiki.com/page/Classes and http://ddowiki.com/page/Multiclassing will provide some additional information on multiclassing.

As far as I know, this is not correct: In case of a tie, the order is an almost alphabetical one: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, Monk, Favored Soul, Artificer, Druid.
    You may be right, I assumed the "dominant class" would be displayed. For purpose of TR the dominant class is considered whichever hit that level first (in case of tie). So if you level to monk 10 before you hit rogue 10 you would get a monk past life (or so I understand, I've never tested this myself).

You may be right, I assumed the "dominant class" would be displayed. For purpose of TR the dominant class is considered whichever hit that level first (in case of tie). So if you level to monk 10 before you hit rogue 10 you would get a monk past life (or so I understand, I've never tested this myself).
    The class icon being displayed is your dominant class level. Regardless of order taken.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

I have to admit this is the first build thread I read end to end...love this build idea and been thinking of what to TR my soon to be level 20 Cleric into. I never ran a melee before so I am excitted to discover that playstyle.

For now I just wrapping up grinding out my heart of wood from Time is Money for my sorc and my cleric and will be TR'ing them both in the next few weeks.

Thanks and thumbs way up to all the contributors for such a constructive and positive thread.

I can't wait to try this build out.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    34-pt build opens a few possibilities, inc. switching to TWF, maxing out STR, or bumping up CON, DEX, and/or INT. This would also work with artificer splash instead of rogue.

Sure - HotD and KotC have no feat pre-reqs, so you can swap between them at any time. DoS is the one you have to plan for because it does have a feat pre-req.
    I would love to see a 34 pt build with 2 levels or arti instead of rogue. I have never played an arti yet (but have the class) with +1 tomes in all stats and +2 WIS / STR tomes (love the fact tomes carry over into TR).

Could you post a build if you can? if you have a build id on ddochargen, just post the build # i can look it up

thanks a bunch !!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    I would love to see a 34 pt build with 2 levels or arti instead of rogue. I have never played an arti yet (but have the class) with +1 tomes in all stats and +2 WIS / STR tomes (love the fact tomes carry over into TR).
    A few questions:

• What are you TRing from?
    • THF, TWF, or S&B?
    • Stick with HotD / KotC or do you want DoS instead?
    • Is arty splash just for the skills or are you expecting to use a repeater (which makes things more challenging in terms of feats etc.)?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    A few questions:

• What are you TRing from?
    • THF, TWF, or S&B?
    • Stick with HotD / KotC or do you want DoS instead?
    • Is arty splash just for the skills or are you expecting to use a repeater (which makes things more challenging in terms of feats etc.)?
    A 1st life Cleric, sort of a battle cleric build. Probably DoS. The arti splash is to try out the class more than anything.
    Last edited by sk3l3t0r; 03-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast