Default End of the U16 chain's quest dialogue is silly (spoiler)

So... we get a bunch of these pages...

and then, to keep them safe from badguys, we bring our collection of them to the badguy's stronghold? Where they have the rest of the set ready to use, and are just looking for ours?

And we just casually give them to someone who walks out the door and dies?

Then at the end we just give them to a random agent who pops up to give them to Elminster?

Why didn't we just give them to him in Eveningstar ourselves before starting the quest...

Or better yet, take them to Eberron or anywhere else in the game... o_O

My 8 int character didn't mind, but my more intelligent ones would've been expecting a twist to reveal the quest giver was an agent of theirs or something at least.

Did I miss something that makes it make more sense?
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

Play "the Portal Opens".

Elminster: "Gee, you're a level 1 tavern wench who has suddenly developed vast, mysterious, and extremely unreliable magical powers. All the Drow are looking to capture you. Go run on ahead alone into the main Drow temple while I wait outside. I'm sure nothing bad will happen."

Clearly, they call Elminster "The Oversorcerer" because he used Int as a dump-stat.

It's imbecilic plotlines like you describe that turned me off to Forgotten Realms. (Well, that, and Mystra dying on the second Tuesday of every month.) And the only reason Faerun hasn't died screaming is that the bad guys are just as stupid. Read the novel "Spellfire" if you want to see how far down the rabbit-hole this can go.

Tell you what, Elminster...YOU go lay down the DPS and I'll do all the planning. It'll be better that way.
    Give a man a fish, and he demands two more tomorrow.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll leave to find somebody who'll just give him a fish.
    Beat him unconscious with the fish, and it's comedy.

Community Member

I was going to say "That sounds about right for FR" but ^ said it first. Slapstick fantasy

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfruit View Post
    So... we get a bunch of these pages...

and then, to keep them safe from badguys, we bring our collection of them to the badguy's stronghold? Where they have the rest of the set ready to use, and are just looking for ours?

And we just casually give them to someone who walks out the door and dies?

Then at the end we just give them to a random agent who pops up to give them to Elminster?

Why didn't we just give them to him in Eveningstar ourselves before starting the quest...

Or better yet, take them to Eberron or anywhere else in the game... o_O

My 8 int character didn't mind, but my more intelligent ones would've been expecting a twist to reveal the quest giver was an agent of theirs or something at least.

Did I miss something that makes it make more sense?
    Apparently DDO is continuing the tradition that chaotic = stupid. Elminster is chaotic good and acts like an idiot. The drow are chaotic evil, and act like idiots.

I mean, personally, I think chaotic is a pretty dumb choice, but even I know that it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY mean they need to act like complete morons. Why Turbine?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    Why Turbine?
    My opinion: Turbine no longer expects us to pay attention to things like story, character, or logic. We are just supposed to run the quests, not ask questions or think to much, get our reward, rinse/repeat. And to Turbine's credit here - I've seen countless posts on the forums along the lines of "I don't pay attention to the plot or read the dialog - I just want loot and XP." So, those of us who enjoy a good story and characterization... we've gotten a bit burned by that mentality creeping up the development ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    My opinion: Turbine no longer expects us to pay attention to things like story, character, or logic. We are just supposed to run the quests, not ask questions or think to much, get our reward, rinse/repeat. And to Turbine's credit here - I've seen countless posts on the forums along the lines of "I don't pay attention to the plot or read the dialog - I just want loot and XP." So, those of us who enjoy a good story and characterization... we've gotten a bit burned by that mentality creeping up the development ladder.
    I just wanna see long lines of large numbers appear in mid-air as I smash stuff.

Default More choice in plot arcs: good vs evil

I would be delighted to see more events that shape your character on account of your choices rather than some preset path.

It doesn't seem that difficult but DDO seems to have allowed character customization to be extremely nonlinear--more so than any MMO (win)--and really narrowed the plot to a single thread that everyone follows (not much win).

In my mind, I think the best compromise would be to have a simple good vs. evil dichotomy the way that Baldur's Gate may have allowed; all the same content, but slightly differing character building and rewards.

It'd be extremely rewarding and diversifying for us to be able to have flexible alignments and it wouldn't require double the work. With some clever dialogue choices, they could do things to allow for more than one character motivation for doing something. Ex: good characters can choose to defeat Lolth because they want to thwart an evil goddess, or evil characters choose to defeat Lolth because they want to usurp her power. Neutral can choose either. The "motivation" factor either swings their alignment one way or another, or preserves it, and grants different loot and powers/abilities.

I'd find the game twice as fun or more if I could start building/roleplaying my characters through the lenses of their actions and outlooks rather than just playing all of them the same, rather than having my Sun-worshipping clerics or lich-transforming wizards all run through the same content with the same choices.

My 2cp
    Character Compendium