Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Book of Syncletica: New Monk Guide

(Updated 5/22/2014 based on game changes)

After a bit of frenzied and welcome error correction and formatting from DDO forum members (thanks again), I'm happy to invite you to "The Book of Syncletica", a Monk guide for new players to the class, or for experienced players that have tried Monks before and, for one reason or another, lost interest or became confused and frustrated.

The guide helps you with the essentials for Monks (think Luke Skywalker's training from Yoda) and not necessarily advanced stuff (like why Yoda didn't teach Luke about the "block Sith lightning" bit). Thus, it explains mechanics, feats, skills, abilities and enhancements common to Monks. what Light and Dark means (no, it's nothing to do with chicken) and the special attacks called finishing moves that form the basis of Monk abilities, from Level 1 to 20 and beyond, and details the use of the Monk Epic Destiny, Grandmaster of Flowers, as well as Shadowdancer, Legendary Dreadnought, and others.

The Book goes level by level, discusses the three central class trees as of Update 19 (Ninja Spy, Shintao Monk, and Henshin Mystic), and tries to illustrate where possible. Additional discoveries and variations from forum members are noted throughout.

The guide does NOT teach you how to multiclass (although it touches on what classes are compatible, such as the Kensei fighter and the elven Arcane "Zen" Archer Monk) nor does it contain specific how-tos on character building as popular character build apps do. Nor does the guide go far into cross-class training (UMD on a Monk? Sure, it can be done, but...that's not a Monk skill, so seek enlightenment elsewhere).

The guide is available at https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn. Since this is a web site, it can be continually updated and its format adjusted to meet changes in the game or new developments.

Feel free to send corrections, comments and suggestions to this link on the guide's sister blog, The Order of Syncletica, also a DDO Fansite page.

The guide won't be much without community input to keep it accurate, so thanks in advance for reading and providing any comments or corrections required.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 05-22-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Updated first post to reflect game changes
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Too cool! The amount of sheer work and dedicated writing it took to put this together is very impressive. Congratulations!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

This is really good. All my past lives being monk, and being in a monk only guild, there is lots of really good stuff in here! Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by xaerr View Post
    This is really good. All my past lives being monk, and being in a monk only guild, there is lots of really good stuff in here! Good Job!
    There's a Monk-only guild!? :drool:

Seriously, I appreciate the positive comments! Quite a few forum members in the last few days have helped find many typos and errors as well as expand or suggest sections where my own knowledge was lacking or biased.

The most important section is not yet in--one that shows how players use keyboards or other devices to play the class. As you know, "button mashing" doesn't BEGIN to describe this class.

If you find any serious errors or have some ideas, send me a PM.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Too cool! The amount of sheer work and dedicated writing it took to put this together is very impressive. Congratulations!
    High praise. The guide wouldn't be much without the help of others. Thanks!

Only had a quick look at it but WOW this thing is impressive! I shall certainly be reading through it at some point. Awesome resource for anybody new to the monk class!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Favored Soul: No. Not as good an option as a Cleric. The ability CHA , more than WIS, rules this class. You’ll spread out your ability stats too thin.
    Not bad except this part made me cringe...unless you're making a healbot (even if you're making a healbot) WIS should be higher than CHA (By alot) WIS is DCs for a FvS,CHA is for SP ..and allowing you to cast,my FVS had 3.1k SP at 24 CHA and was 40+ WIS at 20. More CHA than that seems wasteful to me,so splashing it is just as good for stats,you might say something like "choice to consider since you lose 10 DR and will have only 1 level 9 spell" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LionHearty View Post
    Not bad except this part made me cringe...unless you're making a healbot (even if you're making a healbot) WIS should be higher than CHA (By alot) WIS is DCs for a FvS,CHA is for SP ..and allowing you to cast,my FVS had 3.1k SP at 24 CHA and was 40+ WIS at 20. More CHA than that seems wasteful to me,so splashing it is just as good for stats,you might say something like "choice to consider since you lose 10 DR and will have only 1 level 9 spell" instead.
    My inexperience showed in that. Thanks for letting me know. If FvS use WIS more, they'll have as good (if not a better) fit to multiclassing than a Cleric. I'll revise that right away.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    My inexperience showed in that. Thanks for letting me know. If FvS use WIS more, they'll have as good (if not a better) fit to multiclassing than a Cleric. I'll revise that right away.
    Just Re-read it,I was talking about the FVS 10 DR capstone,they get one too.

Community Member

Okay,after a full read,most of the multiclass page could go with changing..

For exemple,you say fighter is no advantage/disadvantage yet a 12 fighter 8 monk was considered the highest monk DPS for some time. An 18 Fighter 2 monk make great tanks too.

Then paladin 18 Paladin 2 monk with Defender of Syberies here too,great tank,switched around for Hunter of the dead makes the highest healing amp in the game.

Then for rogues,I once made a 14 rogue 6 dark monk,wasn't optimal but I had sneak over 60 had an almost free invis clickie from the monk levels and full UMD.
    Some people go 19 rogue 1 monk for full sneak attack with monk attack speed,you're description is okay but you're not mentioning the DPS potential of em.

Trying not go too in depth on multiclass as that's what your guide is about but putting it out there since that part of the guide is a bit misguiding.

As for Epic destinies,as awesome as GMOF is,it's mostly for trash mobs (and I have problems changing it out too,that thing is sweet) but try legendary dreadnought for a big DPS boost!
    As for the Everything is nothing,it's 1-hit-everything-is-dead-in-the-room, don't use that as a panic button,spam that thing,it charges fast enough!

As for races, H-orcs can get higher DPS from +6 to power attack ehancements and STR ehancements
    h-elfs work out too either for cleric dilly for no fail hjeal scroll OR rogue dilly for an 3d6 sneak attack, they also get Human versitallity boosts for damage boost (20%.. or +5 not sure anymore)
    but halflings are the mater race so who needs those?

Also,PRR is "physical resistance rating" not personal.

I could go on but you get the point. You should try Multiclassing a monk sometime,they're fun.
    Last edited by LionHearty; 10-17-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Default Logitech G510 Keyboard

There's a Monk-only guild!? :drool:

Seriously, I appreciate the positive comments! Quite a few forum members in the last few days have helped find many typos and errors as well as expand or suggest sections where my own knowledge was lacking or biased.

The most important section is not yet in--one that shows how players use keyboards or other devices to play the class. As you know, "button mashing" doesn't BEGIN to describe this class.

If you find any serious errors or have some ideas, send me a PM.
    Button mashing LOL SMASHING would be closer.. find your self a controller that allows programmable keystrokes.. If you have 30 KI
    One key stroke =
    Fires of purity II
    Fists of Darkness
    Fires of purity III
    Karmic Strike

I spend as much time getting the timing correct on the keyboard as playing..

Monks Just Plan Kick BUTT !!
    Last edited by drwhy13; 10-17-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: remove extra text
    Its mind over matter It doesn't matter, If I don't mind -- Always use LOADED dice.

Quote Originally Posted by drwhy13 View Post
    Button mashing LOL SMASHING would be closer.. find your self a controller that allows programmable keystrokes.. If you have 30 KI
    One key stroke =
    Fires of purity II
    Fists of Darkness
    Fires of purity III
    Karmic Strike

I spend as much time getting the timing correct on the keyboard as playing..

Monks Just Plan Kick BUTT !!
    Got one. It's the Logitech G13. You can see it in the new chapter under Finishing Moves called, "Using Your Keyboard."

Okay,after a full read,most of the multiclass page could go with changing..

For exemple,you say fighter is no advantage/disadvantage yet a 12 fighter 8 monk was considered the highest monk DPS for some time. An 18 Fighter 2 monk make great tanks too.

Then paladin 18 Paladin 2 monk with Defender of Syberies here too,great tank,switched around for Hunter of the dead makes the highest healing amp in the game.

Then for rogues,I once made a 14 rogue 6 dark monk,wasn't optimal but I had sneak over 60 had an almost free invis clickie from the monk levels and full UMD.
    Some people go 19 rogue 1 monk for full sneak attack with monk attack speed,you're description is okay but you're not mentioning the DPS potential of em.

Trying not go too in depth on multiclass as that's what your guide is about but putting it out there since that part of the guide is a bit misguiding.

As for Epic destinies,as awesome as GMOF is,it's mostly for trash mobs (and I have problems changing it out too,that thing is sweet) but try legendary dreadnought for a big DPS boost!
    As for the Everything is nothing,it's 1-hit-everything-is-dead-in-the-room, don't use that as a panic button,spam that thing,it charges fast enough!

As for races, H-orcs can get higher DPS from +6 to power attack ehancements and STR ehancements
    h-elfs work out too either for cleric dilly for no fail hjeal scroll OR rogue dilly for an 3d6 sneak attack, they also get Human versitallity boosts for damage boost (20%.. or +5 not sure anymore)
    but halflings are the mater race so who needs those?

Also,PRR is "physical resistance rating" not personal.

I could go on but you get the point. You should try Multiclassing a monk sometime,they're fun.
    Thanks for the corrections, Lion. I'll amend them.

There are so many permutations with multiclassing that going beyond what I have in the Book now would be befuddling. And I have little multiclassing experience, besides, to ensure that the many possibilities are accurately accounted. The Book is for beginners. Later. a visit to the forums and other resources will allow folks to make interesting Monk "flavors." Thus, I need to keep to what classes have a good feel. I may add specific races that work nicely, but I think that might go out of bounds and my expertise, too.

Update 15 changed the cooldown to "Death Blossom" to 5 minutes. I can still recharge it fast, but the cooldown is such now that keeping it handy against a large horde is it's best use in my experience.

As for tanking...A Earth IV Light Monk with the right hardware does pretty dang well. Ever solo a Light Monk through the Subterrane (raid wilderness, no hirelings allowed) to hunt for your own Icy Raiment? I ransacked the poor thing. Keeping Garamol, a L22 skellie giant, centered on you as you chop it down, all while keeping yourself healed was a nice test. I wouldn't throw the best pure Monk tank at the Biggest and Baddest in game, but a properly built and trained one can be more versatile than a blend and can often handle the Bigger and Badder bosses. The key here is, can a multiclassed Monk be FULLY self-sustaining, with absolutely NO help?

That's why the guide centers on training full Monks to understand the class. But you make good points for others that like a challenge!

Community Member

Update 15 changed the cooldown to "Death Blossom" to 5 minutes. I can still recharge it fast, but the cooldown is such now that keeping it handy against a large horde is it's best use in my experience.
    Really? Didn't know that one.

As for tanking...A Earth IV Light Monk with the right hardware does pretty dang well. Ever solo a Light Monk through the Subterrane (raid wilderness, no hirelings allowed) to hunt for your own Icy Raiment? I ransacked the poor thing. Keeping Garamol, a L22 skellie giant, centered on you as you chop it down, all while keeping yourself healed was a nice test.
    Actually I did,with a Dark Monk/Rogue,fun times.

The key here is, can a multiclassed Monk be FULLY self-sustaining, with absolutely NO help?
    Well,the build I was talking about can get healing amp up to 540% (Probably higher with epic destinies now) so ah....yeah they are.
    Pure Monks are actually at a big disadvantage with the new update,big glass cannons.

Also...dangit now I wanna build another Monk.

Really? Didn't know that one.

Actually I did,with a Dark Monk/Rogue,fun times.

Well,the build I was talking about can get healing amp up to 540% (Probably higher with epic destinies now) so ah....yeah they are.
    Pure Monks are actually at a big disadvantage with the new update,big glass cannons.

Also...dangit now I wanna build another Monk.
    Been thinking of a Dark Monk/Rogue. You gave me a real reason now.

The healing amp on (what?) the Pally/Monk builds are phenomenal, if I remember hearing right. I wonder if some number crunching has been done on the ultimate (though probably not practical) max amp for a pure Monk? I'd disagree on the glass cannon bit--in fact, ED has improved it a bit, I've found. Before I TR'd her a few days ago, my GrM Earth Monk sat on 600 HP and was pretty good at holding her own in many of the Drow city quests, among other places. That extra edge to PRR, HP and AC helped quite a bit.

Community Member

There's this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365909 It's a bit outdated,doesn't count EDs but most of it is there.

I tried 3 different ones

14 rogue 6 darkmonk with shortswords,was a bit squishy and DPS was bad without sneak attacks,TR'd out of it.

Then 12 rogue 6 D monk 2 paladin with 2 E midnight greetings , That one was pretty much invincible ,had an invis clickie from monk,full UMD ,saves were trough the roof, LoH etc TRd out eventually to try a new build.

Then 19 rogue 1 monk,using handwraps. Full sneak attack line with monk attack speed+haste boost 4,ToD rings,that one hurt.Alot. Switching between shadowdancer and GMOF/dreadnaught depending. Best of both worlds.

The guide is an absolute gem. I have read through it and made a few changes to Tooflower, and he is now even better than before. Thanks for the input, but mostly well done on the style,and the production quality. I wanted to read all of it, and it was a pleasure to read. thanks.
    Willibold,Hesteban,Tooflower,Commabayou,Skummspawn ,Machiavehlli,,and Dramoh.
    Look out for them in-game.Tyrs Paladium on the big G ftw

There's this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=365909 It's a bit outdated,doesn't count EDs but most of it is there.

I tried 3 different ones

14 rogue 6 darkmonk with shortswords,was a bit squishy and DPS was bad without sneak attacks,TR'd out of it.

Then 12 rogue 6 D monk 2 paladin with 2 E midnight greetings , That one was pretty much invincible ,had an invis clickie from monk,full UMD ,saves were trough the roof, LoH etc TRd out eventually to try a new build.

Then 19 rogue 1 monk,using handwraps. Full sneak attack line with monk attack speed+haste boost 4,ToD rings,that one hurt.Alot. Switching between shadowdancer and GMOF/dreadnaught depending. Best of both worlds.
    I'll have to do some reading soon. Very powerful blends, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Willibold View Post
    The guide is an absolute gem. I have read through it and made a few changes to Tooflower, and he is now even better than before. Thanks for the input, but mostly well done on the style,and the production quality. I wanted to read all of it, and it was a pleasure to read. thanks.
    You're very welcome. I find myself tooling on it each day or so, checking for suggestions and corrections and adding new features, so check back in as you need.

Default Guide Updated

* Clarified information on Void Strike and its optional use--at the cost of losing a finishing move later.
    * Corrected information on Mummy Rot. As of the expansion, it's a supernatural disease that means Monks have to carry around Remove Disease potions if a Light Monk with Restoring the Balance (and Remove Curse, too, if a Dark Monk) to remove the full effect.
    * Recently added sections on Healing Amplification and Damage Reduction.
    * Corrections to Quest Strategies L6, L12 and L18.
    * Usual beat-down of grammar, spelling, sentence fragment errors.

If you find any errors or want something in the guide that's not clear or mentioned, just shout out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast