Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Monk build advice

Thinking ahead into the Coming Enhancement changes, I have been hesitant to build or restructure any new toons, but I still have yet to make a monk. I would love some input on two thoughts because I think it might be time to stop resisting the urge! I really want to play one. Can you all help me with your thoughts?

I'm looking for two things:

1) links to solid builds or just post them here

2) with the thoughts on the changes. Would it be better to build a Drow (Tempest/Monk), the double strike, speed, and AC bonus could be nice), a halfling (Assassin Monk) which would probably be incredible DPS with the added backstab damage, until you gain aggro, which would often) or another race?

I think ultimately I want it to be pure Monk, but with the potential of the new Racial PRE's, I want to be slightly prepared.

Obviously we have no idea of what the final concept ideas will be with the Racial PRE's and how long it will take for Turbine to release them.... but I'd love to hear what you all think...

Thanks
    B
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 10-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Human for sure.

-If the proposed enhancement revamp ever happens, you have your pick of every PrE.
    -Until it does, you have enormous synergy with monk: damage boost and attack speed, hamp and hamp, balanced stats and wanting balanced stats.

I went...
    16 Str
    15 Dex (need some combination of 3 base points to get GM Wind, I went with 2 tome and 1 levelup)
    14 Con
    8 Int
    16 Wis (less on a first life)
    8 Cha

Feats...
    Stunning Fist & TWF & Stunning Blow
    Power Attack
    Improved Sunder & Light side
    Luck of Heroes (probably Precision now) and Toughness
    ITWF
    Improved Critical
    GTWF
    Past Life (something else on first life, obviously)

Key Enhancements
    4 Human Versatility
    3 Improved Recovery, Improved Recovery, Shintao, Air stance

Fill in as much else as you can:
    -Fire stance is useful but you get the overwhelming portion of its use from the free stance, not good to spend AP on.
    -Earth stance is really useful but the hate is no joke.
    -Water stance is not very useful.
    -Void strike 4 is awesome but enormously expensive. You can absolutely get along without it.

I don't remember if half-elf is also scheduled to get their pick of any PrE, but I still like human better for the higher heal amp ceiling over the (not inconsiderable) SA damage.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default monk

Thanks Kinerd
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

The build above is solid for the most part. I'd reduce the wis to 14 or 15 and go with the higher staring dex personally.
    Also seems to be missing a toughness which is nice to have.
    I'd push out stunning fist till a bit later and grab the toughness earlier.
    Reasoning ki is precious early and stunning isn't tht big of a deal early. Blow is enough on the rare occasions. When you need it that early (and that is like never)

Pump the healing amp and craft up or buy a lesser vampirisim shard a robe of invunerability and be down right unkillable. By time you ate kill able with that setup you will have your stunning fist to fall back on. See of you can pick up a necklace of contemplation great pice of monk twink.

Don't sweat getting shintaoI till your ready for shintaoII as it really isn't worth it.

Don't do a vet start and get use to throwing your ki strikes and prepping for finishers.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Human for sure.

I went...
    16 Str
    15 Dex (need some combination of 3 base points to get GM Wind, I went with 2 tome and 1 levelup)
    14 Con
    8 Int
    16 Wis (less on a first life)
    8 Cha
    For future flexibility I would do 15 STR and 15 CON and all levels in WIS.... so you can get all the grandmasters with +3 Tomes (and grandmaster of earth is very useful).

Mine is helf cleric dilli. Nothing to complain.

ya with +3 tomes a norm now, Most grandmasters are doable. Earth is nice, waters nice for traps or for when your going for the stun on those oranges. Wind is nice just for having haste a click away. Very helpful in a place like tod when ya got them boots on. 5% increase over an alacrity trinket.

As for enhancement pass i'd say human is by far your safest if not best bet. Currently though I like helf for that cleric dili matched with the human enhancements and the stacked monk/human heal amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    Thanks Kinerd
    Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbleargh
    For future flexibility I would do 15 STR and 15 CON and all levels in WIS.... so you can get all the grandmasters with +3 Tomes (and grandmaster of earth is very useful).

Mine is helf cleric dilli. Nothing to complain.
    That's a great point, 15 Str 15 Con is definitely better than 16 Str 14 Con now.