Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TempestAlphaOmega View Post
    Fair enough, this is a game and no one should force you to play something you don't believe is fun,
    Exactly.
    I see most are missing the point.
    1- they didn't need us (the melee) at all. We all knew it. No problem there. I could and have soloed it as well on EN.
    2- the 4 summons played no role in killing anything. they were just cluster targets for aoe's.
    3- I didn't come to pike and could easily hold my own in killing.

So me leaving wasn't a rage quit. Nobody cared. Not even me. No loss. It was like leaving 5 capped toons in waterworks. so what.
    I thought it was rude and left.
    that's the point. it's rude.
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 10-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    Exactly.
    1- they didn't need us (the melee) at all. We all knew it. No problem there. I could and have soloed it as well on EN.
    2- the 4 summons played no role in killing anything. they were just cluster targets for aoe's.

So me leaving wasn't a rage quite. Nobody cared. Not even me. No loss. It was like a leaving 5 capped toons in waterworks. so what.
    Your making a forum Post on it
    You obviously cared enough to make this post so stop trying to contradict yourself
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Brattyone View Post
    Just a comment. Knowing his build, he has the umd to summon.
    Comment was not to him not being able to, but not participating - Personally I assume a Rogue has UMD. And only wonder why when they don't.

Exactly.

So me leaving wasn't a rage quit. Nobody cared. Not even me. No loss. It was like leaving 5 capped toons in waterworks. so what.
    I think most did get the point. You felt that the group was not going to be fun for you. I just think that your repaying what you felt was rude with rude behavior was just not cool at any level.

lol
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyburns View Post
    Your making a forum Post on it
    You obviously cared enough to make this post so stop trying to contradict yourself
    I don't need to "try" to contradict myself. I can do it at will.

Like someone said. if it was epic elite there would have been no summons. Nor any need for me to leave. It wasn't EE. It was EN. About as dangerous to 2 wizes, a sorc and a fvs as a falling feather.

the post can be summed up easily. The story is only a setting.
    "unless you have no melee, multiple summons in an epic quest is rude."

They don't serve any real purpose other than a distraction. And multiple distractions are unnecessarily annoying and rude. Like 4 people casting continuous grease or sleet storm spells.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Comment was not to him not being able to, but not participating - Personally I assume a Rogue has UMD. And only wonder why when they don't.

I think most did get the point. You felt that the group was not going to be fun for you. I just think that your repaying what you felt was rude with rude behavior was just not cool at any level.
    Within the party my entire conversation never went beyond hya. omw.
    So do tell, what obligations I owed this pug group doing a quest below level who are showing no concern for me at all?
    What needs to be 'cool" about me just leaving a group of random strangers who don't need my help to begin with?

Community Member

Hi,

My view is that dropping group without saying anything is best avoided.

But I can sympathise with not wanting to have a conversation about it. Perhaps just excusing yourself politely would have been better. I don't think it's a really big deal, but some people get offended by a sudden unexplained departure.

As for using summons, I think the problem you've mentioned is an unfortunate intersection of poor player judgement and bad in-game implementation. The people calling them may not understand how ineffective they are (at endgame anyway) or may not understand or care about their effects on other players.

Why there summons which are that large and can't be seen through (or controlled or dismissed) is not the fault of players though.

Part of the problem could be solved by making the larger summoned creatures a lot smaller than they are now, or having a graphics option which makes them transparent or skeletal. The rest of it is a social problem.

Good luck with it.
    Astrican on Khyber

Within the party my entire conversation never went beyond hya. omw.
    So do tell, what obligations I owed this pug group doing a quest below level who are showing no concern for me at all?
    What needs to be 'cool" about me just leaving a group of random strangers who don't need my help to begin with?
    See now your de-humanizing the other members. You owe them the same courtesy as you would expect if you were running a quest in a way someone else was not having any fun and they decided to leave.

Unfortunately, I suspect that you actually did give them that, which is only a sad indication of society.

Anyone can be courteous to friends and family, but it is how they interact with strangers that shows their real character.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkeysix View Post
    I'm confused. You went into a quest with a buncha blue bars. They did what blue bars do, and you were surprised and angry?

I've only been playing since 2006, but in that short period of time, I have actually enjoyed blue bars using AOE and distractions when I was running an assassin. I guess I was doing it wrong.
    where did you assume I was either surprised or angry?
    it's a pug. stupid things happen in pugs. I simply had no desire to be someones unwanted mentor and take it upon myself to teach pretend ddo etiquette. Maybe they might have been receptive and maybe not. I don't care. Maybe it seemed rude in return. Again. I wasn't that concerned. My thoughts were simple.
    This is really rude and I'm wasting my time when I could be doing something enjoyable.

There's likely a list a million lines long of rude things you can do in ddo.
    IMO this is one {or two according to the replies) of them.

You obviously cared a lot, not only to come to the forums and make a post about it but to continue defending the post.

I always wonder at the people who think other people intentionally grief them. Someone has to be pretty obvious for me to assume they are doing it intentionally and not just oblivious.

It always makes me think if that's how your mind works... is it because you are always looking for ways to grief people? Do you like summoning the biggest thing you can to annoy others?
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

I don't need to "try" to contradict myself. I can do it at will.
    Oh I laughed at this.

Anyone that knows you, knows you're an awesome player with great skills, and its not your style to pike a quest.

Personally I think you should have at least said "Bye guys, Gotta go" before you left, you don't need to give a reason to drop group, but it's polite to at least say you are doing so or such is my feelings on it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    See now your de-humanizing the other members. You owe them the same courtesy as you would expect if you were running a quest in a way someone else was not having any fun and they decided to leave.

Unfortunately, I suspect that you actually did give them that, which is only a sad indication of society.

Anyone can be courteous to friends and family, but it is how they interact with strangers that shows their real character.
    lol. your taking this way to seriously. Philosophizing and whatnot.

there was no interaction. see an LFM, click the link, accepted, hya omw, get to an IP below level quest 1 and 2 at a time, catch up, follow a few tunnels behind 4 summons and a kaleidoscope of aoe's and exploding monsters. decide to leave. gone.

where did you assume I was either surprised or angry?
    it's a pug. stupid things happen in pugs. I simply had no desire to be someones unwanted mentor and take it upon myself to teach pretend ddo etiquette. Maybe they might have been receptive and maybe not. I don't care. Maybe it seemed rude in return. Again. I wasn't that concerned. My thoughts were simple.
    This is really rude and I'm wasting my time when I could be doing something enjoyable.

There's likely a list a million lines long of rude things you can do in ddo.
    IMO this is one {or two according to the replies) of them.
    Yeah, I can sympathize with all of that. Sometimes I just don't feel like taking on an uphill battle.

I don't use summons except when soloing at low levels to distract stuff, and they are often annoying. I don't think I'd ever drop group over it, but if I found myself similarly annoyed and not in the mood to explain myself, it would make more sense to go do something else.

Still I probably would have made some lame excuse - "sorry guys gotta go - cat is on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndrome View Post
    Yeah, I can sympathize with all of that. Sometimes I just don't feel like taking on an uphill battle.

I don't use summons except when soloing at low levels to distract stuff, and they are often annoying. I don't think I'd ever drop group over it, but if I found myself similarly annoyed and not in the mood to explain myself, it would make more sense to go do something else.

Still I probably would have made some lame excuse - "sorry guys gotta go - cat is on fire."
    If you have a cat like mine...'Cat is on fire' is a perfectly legit excuse...

on topic...you could have run ahead and got all the mobs and brought them back. I tend to relax and pretend to be productive in those groups, summoning celestial dogs are helpful to! Or join the fun wands of lightning bolt and fire ball.
    Last edited by Veriden; 10-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Oh I laughed at this.

Anyone that knows you, knows you're an awesome player with great skills, and its not your style to pike a quest.

Personally I think you should have at least said "Bye guys, Gotta go" before you left, you don't need to give a reason to drop group, but it's polite to at least say you are doing so or such is my feelings on it.
    Your probably right Ungood. But that day i just left. It wasn't the first and likely it won't be the last time I just leave a group for my own reasons. I remember jetting asap once when an in game conversation made me very uncomfortable with it's blatant racist overtones. Other times under the same circumstances I made my discomfort known and stayed. Once while in a pug shroud, the party was on it's 8th attempt to kill all 4 sub bosses in part 2. I was simply gone then too. If I'm having fun or like the company I'll endure a 3 hour quest and a thousand deaths. And I have.
    But at no time do I ever feel obligated to do anything I don't want to do in a video game hobby I play for pleasure. Nor do I expect any different from others.
    I respect that your here to enjoy your time investment and you can take it for granted your not obligated to me in any way as to how you spend your time doing so.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post
    If you have a cat like mine...'Cat is on fire' is a perfectly legit excuse...
    lol. I may have to use that 1. But I suck at making excuses.

They don't serve any real purpose other than a distraction. And multiple distractions are unnecessarily annoying and rude. Like 4 people casting continuous grease or sleet storm spells.
    I must be rude then
    I do this all the time for fun
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

Default I think the friend was on to something

Perhaps it would have been more straightforward for the OP just to have simply said "I think it is rude to summon large monsters because it impedes the view of some players." End of story.

I thought it odd that OP would assume that the other players knew there was a problem. I think his friend was right to suggest telling the party it was a problem. The summons probably died fast, and might not have been re-summoned if they knew it was an issue.

I have been playing for about 3 years, mostly on a caster and always with my view zoomed back as far as possible. It was only a few months ago, while playing with my static group, when the issue of the size of a Hezrou's backside was raised by the party rogue (he likes to play in a first person view).

Just because something is obvious to one person does not mean it is obvious to another. There are a lot of differences in play experience out there.

I don't see a problem with someone dropping from a PUG with no warning, for whatever reason. Life happens. But I would not create a forum post just to accuse some other folks of being rude after doing nothing to clear up the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyburns View Post
    I must be rude then
    I do this all the time for fun
    Those should be kept to guild runs and boss fights :P

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    You obviously cared a lot, not only to come to the forums and make a post about it but to continue defending the post.

I always wonder at the people who think other people intentionally grief them. Someone has to be pretty obvious for me to assume they are doing it intentionally and not just oblivious.

It always makes me think if that's how your mind works... is it because you are always looking for ways to grief people? Do you like summoning the biggest thing you can to annoy others?
    I don't think they were trying to grief anyone. As i stated before, odds are they were just uncaring or unaware of the annoying circumstance they had created for melee. Simply telling us to pike would have been more courteous.
    Also. I'm here because i have nothing else to do atm. I don't need to defend the post. But having a topical discourse does pass the time in amusement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast