Default Recommended Third Life?

I am starting to think about a third life, and would like recommendations on what to consider/study.

Life #1 was Bard, Life #2 is Ranger
    I tend toward self-sufficiency builds (Rogue splashes, I don't min-max, self-healing Helf dille and enhancements)
    I know third life's going to be a grind for XP, so I don't care whether it's a fast leveler per se, but don't want barb for sure.
    I am not shooting for completionist, so max efficiency there is irrelevant to me.

I assume the past lives and playstyle lend to artificer, but am willing to look at options.

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I am starting to think about a third life, and would like recommendations on what to consider/study.

Life #1 was Bard, Life #2 is Ranger
    I tend toward self-sufficiency builds (Rogue splashes, I don't min-max, self-healing Helf dille and enhancements)
    I know third life's going to be a grind for XP, so I don't care whether it's a fast leveler per se, but don't want barb for sure.
    I am not shooting for completionist, so max efficiency there is irrelevant to me.

I assume the past lives and playstyle lend to artificer, but am willing to look at options.
    For heroic levels, my cleric has an easier time getting into parties for most quests than any of my other characters. For epic levels, it's probably a toss-up between my cleric and my archmage enchanter wizard.

If you want to almost always be able to get into PUG's, a cleric is always welcome.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    For heroic levels, my cleric has an easier time getting into parties for most quests than any of my other characters. For epic levels, it's probably a toss-up between my cleric and my archmage enchanter wizard.

If you want to almost always be able to get into PUG's, a cleric is always welcome.
    That'd be my first divine, so I'd prolly SUCK at it in lower levels till i got used to it. With the responsibility a divine carries, I that would wind up being too much like work

Community Member

I think that with a ranger and bard past life, you could make a rather mean arcane archer bard. Personally I prefer arcane archer/spellsinger, but any bard PrE will usually do. It does have the benefit over a class such as cleric that it is useful from level 1 to level 20, while a divine caster only starts becoming potent once they get access to Holy Smite (and later Blade Barrier and Cometfall).

Just remember that you are not obliged to use a bow at all times while levelling up. In fact, it will probably be easier to just use a two-handed weapon of some sort for all the early levels. When I level up a ranged toon I usually stick to melee weapons untill I reach level 12 and use my GS longbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayness View Post
    I think that with a ranger and bard past life, you could make a rather mean arcane archer bard. Personally I prefer arcane archer/spellsinger, but any bard PrE will usually do. It does have the benefit over a class such as cleric that it is useful from level 1 to level 20, while a divine caster only starts becoming potent once they get access to Holy Smite (and later Blade Barrier and Cometfall).

Just remember that you are not obliged to use a bow at all times while levelling up. In fact, it will probably be easier to just use a two-handed weapon of some sort for all the early levels. When I level up a ranged toon I usually stick to melee weapons untill I reach level 12 and use my GS longbow.
    Last life i was a warchanter, so this is interesting to me... And currently, my ranger is a Tempest, so yah, i dig the "don't go all bow all the time" thing

Community Member

Its kind of amusing to read this thread because I have a ranged character that has the exact same past lives as you (one bard and one ranger). I decided to try and get 3 ranger lives on him and then go on a fifth and final life as arcane archer/spellsinger. My planned build is 2 fighter/2 ranger/16 bard, with most feats being focused on feats that improve ranged damage, with the exception of mental toughness that I need to qualify for the PrEs and extend spell that is really nifty to have for haste and displacement in particular.

AA/Bard is the only build I can think of that would benefit from both of the past lives you will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayness View Post
    Its kind of amusing to read this thread because I have a ranged character that has the exact same past lives as you (one bard and one ranger). I decided to try and get 3 ranger lives on him and then go on a fifth and final life as arcane archer/spellsinger. My planned build is 2 fighter/2 ranger/16 bard, with most feats being focused on feats that improve ranged damage, with the exception of mental toughness that I need to qualify for the PrEs and extend spell that is really nifty to have for haste and displacement in particular.

AA/Bard is the only build I can think of that would benefit from both of the past lives you will have.
    After doing that - and assuming the right equipment, that could be a CC monster... and at extreme range. Thanks for the idea... contemplating.

My first recommendation is not to TR into a third life, especially since your past life bonuses are not super.

But if you must: HotD palarogue! You have almost enough build points to make it work, self sufficient to the max, plus you can be a handsome human with Maximize instead of a putrid half-elf acting like a wizard with all those scrolls and wands. (Aside: isn't it weird how the stereotypical class for magical paraphernalia isn't even in the top 3 for using them in DDO?) You will go from sometimes bow to never bow, but it doesn't seem like you would view that as a big loss.

i would recommend druid if u like to be self-sufficient, if u wanna splash classes into it, try 17thdruid/2rogue/1fighter, cant think of a more selfs-sufficient build. but then again, u might have to buy druid. had a 18rgr/1rog/1fig which was very fun to play and very self-sufficient.

I'd say either an arti or an acrobat, both are quite self sufficant, highly soloable (should the need arise) and above all else just pure fun to play.

This is just my opinion of course... knowing what your playstyle is like and class preferences would help me give some better recommendations, but i think the above two are solid choices if self suffiancy and fun are your main goals.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Ghallanda - || Mrchicken 15 rogue assassin ( life 3/???) ||Katsuu - 7 dark monk || Mrphish - 16 arti || Pixelation 16 wf bardbarian
    Sarlona - ||pixxel - 10 barbarian ||