Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    My first inclination is to drop Enchantment Focus. This is problematic in that it's taken as wizard bonus feat, but you'll be dropping a core feat.

Notes:
    • The racial toughness I enhancement is required by level 6 at the latest to meet progression requirements, meaning toughness must be taken at 1, 3, or 6.
    • Mental Toughness is required for Archmage I at 7, and it needs to not be taken as a bonus feat. That means it also must be taken at 1, 3 or 6.
    • Any spell focus feat (past life: wizard doesn't count) is required for Archmage I at 7, but the focus feat can be slotted into a bonus feat.
    Thanks for the quick answer and showing the two versions of the feat breakdowns.

Some more questions, this time about the trapping side of the char...

You don't assign any ap to rogue's skills, and the rogue skills are only increasing 1 point per level (due to the cross-class cost). I had sort of 'hoped' my Troubleshooter's set from Korthos would at least last until level 6 or 7, but this is not proving to be the case. At level 6, I've already moved up to a +5 search ring and a +10 Disable device ring (the latter Masterful cannith crafted). I'll have +10 search as soon as I dig out my slotted crafting blanks from the TR cache.

How do you meet the trapping DCs with this character and no Skill Boost or ap spent on trapping skill points? Do you replace (or cannith craft) trapper gear every 2 levels? Do you make sure to never go into quests that are higher base level than your character level? Is it perhaps a bad idea to hope to make it through trapping (for example) a level 7 quest on elite while my pale trapper is level 5 (I did do a run of elite Tangleroot while still level 5 and had some issues with the traps in the level 7 quests at the end)?

Any special named gear your recommend to make trapping easier? I have vague plans to farm a dark blue ioun stone (+15 Spot and +15 Listen when unsupressed) for additional lives. Other than that, I'm really not sure.

As far as actual feedback...she's fun so far, but I'm 'cheating' and playing her as a melee toon: Fighter dilettante and a Carnifex. I just got Frost Lance and that's proving much more effective than the low level Niac's ("everthing" was saving against Niacs), but it's still not killing things. So I mostly web and then hit things with my axe. I'm hoping by the time I get my level 4 spells I'll be able to put Carnifex away.

Thanks again for posting the build, it's proving reasonably flexible so far. Whatever feedback you can provide on trapping would be appreciated.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    How do you meet the trapping DCs with this character and no Skill Boost or ap spent on trapping skill points? Do you replace (or cannith craft) trapper gear every 2 levels? Do you make sure to never go into quests that are higher base level than your character level?
    Yep.

If you're on Argonessen, send me a private message with your character's name and I'll mail you some Search and Disable shards to put on a pair of items. You don't need to wear both at the same time - just switch into your Search gear when you're about to search and switch into your Disable gear when you're about to Disable.

Other things that help are
    Fox's Cunning potions or a +Int item (more Int = higher Search and Disable)
    Voice of the Master (+1 to all skills)
    Heroism potions or clicky (+2 stacking to all skills)
    Greater Heroism spells from other players or from a clicky (+4 stacking to all skills, but does not stack with Heroism)
    Guild slots on an item to give more +search and more +disable (obviously only if you are in a guild)

The high Int that you have from being a primary Wizard and the level-appropriate (i.e. maxed out Cannith crafted +skill gear) + Heroism/Greater Heroism is enough that you will not fail to find and disable any trap on Normal or Hard. Elite can be tough in some quests, but if you're going in 2 levels higher than the base quest so that you can maximize your Quest XP efficiency, then you are pretty likely to take care of those traps.

The biggest challenge that I've seen on a Rogue or Rogue splash trap buster is to know where to search. That just comes from knowing the quest or having a high enough spot to get the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    rogue skills are only increasing 1 point per level (due to the cross-class cost)
    The rogue skills are maxed at every level. There is no way to increase any skill beyond 23 at level 20, even on a pure rogue. This build gets the full 23 out of the trapping skills.

I had sort of 'hoped' my Troubleshooter's set from Korthos would at least last until level 6 or 7
    Nope. Trappers are well served to update their trapping gear every 2 levels.

Any special named gear your recommend to make trapping easier?
    I just use crafted at your level. As far as named items, I do use a tier 3 ML16 spyglass and a tier 3 epic spyglass. Both are BtA so I can pass them around to alts as they level. The ML16 is a single one I use for the whole account, while I have a couple epic versions for my two trapping alts.

I have vague plans to farm a dark blue ioun stone (+15 Spot and +15 Listen when unsupressed) for additional lives. Other than that, I'm really not sure.
    That works. It also functions nicely as a spot trinket placeholder in case you wanted to switch to the spyglass at some point.

As far as actual feedback...she's fun so far, but I'm 'cheating' and playing her as a melee toon: Fighter dilettante and a Carnifex. I just got Frost Lance and that's proving much more effective than the low level Niac's ("everthing" was saving against Niacs), but it's still not killing things. So I mostly web and then hit things with my axe. I'm hoping by the time I get my level 4 spells I'll be able to put Carnifex away.
    Niac's is only good for levels 2 and 3, and "good" is being kind. Scorching ray is generally my low-level bread and butter, but I can't use acid due to acid rain grinding my computer to a halt. Frost lance and scorching ray are a solid 1-2 punch that can easily deal with just about anything. (Except blackbones!)

If you are cold + acid, I suggest using a combination of web and acid apray/blast to gather up a bunch of mobs together and damage them all at once. Frost lance can take out the stragglers.

I only melee on level 1 as a rogue. At level 2 I switch to casting full time, though I do pull out a master's touched screaming maul of everbright for oozes and blackbones.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The rogue skills are maxed at every level.
    I'll note that I consider "rogue skills" to be Search, Disable Device and UMD. The rest of them are certainly nice, but I don't care nearly as much about them as I do about a variety of other skills.

Wizards only get 2 "base" skill points per level, but you also have your Int pushed up as far as possible, so you're getting an extra +4 from Int bonus at levels 1-3, +5 from Int bonus at levels 4-7, +6 at levels 8+ (and even a bit more as you continue to Tome up and add plusses).

For a Rogue/Wizard, I try to keep Search, Disable Device, UMD, and Concentration at max. I have 4 Ranks of Open Lock, at least 1 rank of Tumble and as much as I have to spare for Balance and Spot based on the number of skill points available. For the levels where keeping everything at max isn't possible, I at least make sure that Search, Disable Device and Concentration are at max.

I don't need Spot for spotting traps because I generally know where the traps are, but I very much like Spot for finding hidden enemies so that I can slaughter them before they notice me. It's absolutely not a necessity, but I like it for my own style of play.

4 ranks of Open Lock is actually enough to take care of any lock that you need to open through the entire game, but you'll need some nice Open Locks gear to make it happen. If you happen to have spare skill points, there are certainly worse places that you could put them.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I'll note that I consider "rogue skills" to be Search, Disable Device and UMD. The rest of them are certainly nice, but I don't care nearly as much about them as I do about a variety of other skills.

Wizards only get 2 "base" skill points per level, but you also have your Int pushed up as far as possible, so you're getting an extra +4 from Int bonus at levels 1-3, +5 from Int bonus at levels 4-7, +6 at levels 8+ (and even a bit more as you continue to Tome up and add plusses).

For a Rogue/Wizard, I try to keep Search, Disable Device, UMD, and Concentration at max. I have 4 Ranks of Open Lock, at least 1 rank of Tumble and as much as I have to spare for Balance and Spot based on the number of skill points available. For the levels where keeping everything at max isn't possible, I at least make sure that Search, Disable Device and Concentration are at max.

I don't need Spot for spotting traps because I generally know where the traps are, but I very much like Spot for finding hidden enemies so that I can slaughter them before they notice me. It's absolutely not a necessity, but I like it for my own style of play.

4 ranks of Open Lock is actually enough to take care of any lock that you need to open through the entire game, but you'll need some nice Open Locks gear to make it happen. If you happen to have spare skill points, there are certainly worse places that you could put them.
    My guy just hit level 12, and for the sake of maxing umd, i've decided to let search and disable slip a little. With a 32 intelligence, they are beyond overkill at this point. I keep spot maxed, that is the only soft trapping skill. When i have added a couple more intelligence points from levelling, i will hopefully be able to keep all the trapping skills plus umd and concentration maxed. If i end up a couple of points short on disable and search, it's no big deal, the overall score will still be way higher than my regular rogue.

New version of this build for the enhancement pass is up. Thread here.

Regarding the recent conversation in this thread, I dumped UMD on the new build to make room for spellcraft and heal.

My wizard on live has virtually never used UMD for the almost 2 years I've been playing him, including through TRs. I see almost no value in it for a wizard. (If we could buy harm scrolls from a vendor, though, then UMD would be the #1 skill.)

Default Not to Necro this Thread, but...

Does the 25% miss chance from Wraith stack with say, Blurry from Bracers of Twisting Shade (or the Blur spell)?

Archi Medes (W16/Mnk2/FVS 2/Ep8; PL:W) Balladeer Blackcloud (Bd17/C1/F2/Ep5) Techmech (A20; PL:Rng x3/Monk x3/Druid x3)

You could ask in the new thread.

Wraith gives incorporeal, which stacks with concealment but not other forms of incorporeal.

Incorporeal:
    - Wraith form
    - Ghostly item effect
    - Shadow Veil (monk, ninja core tier 3)

Concealment
    - Displacement spell
    - Blur spell
    - Blurry item effect
    - Dusk item effect
    - Lesser Displacement item effect

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123