Community Member

Default tome buying change request

The tomes you buy from the store are BtA, not BtC.
    When you are buying a tome, you can buy more than one of the same type, if you wanted to.

But if you previously bought a tome, it appears you can't buy another of the same type with the same character.

Please remove this restriction as it is unnecessary.

The reason I ask is because I was logged in on my main character and spotted tomes were on offer, so went to buy one for one of my alts, could I buy it, no, could I work out why I couldn't buy it, no. I even raised a ticket asking if the store was broke!
    The guy who answered my ticket didn't know why I couldn't buy it so was unable to help me. Only afterward I worked out it seems to be that you can't if you bought one before.

Regards, Vizar.

There is an option on top of the page that allows you to see items not available to that character, that will show you wht you want and i beleive you can buy it that way if i remember correctly.

The sleeper has awakened

Krakonos The Ancient One Guild leader of Guardians of the Game Khyber

KrakenHeads(L20 WF THF) Ftr, KrakenSkulzz(L20 WF TWF), KrakenKills(L24 Drow Assisin), Spydraxis, KrakenSouls(L25 Human Fvs), KrakenHealz(L24 Human Cleric), KrakenTunes(L18 Drow Bard/Crafter A150/D150/E150)

Quote Originally Posted by Devilteck View Post
    There is an option on top of the page that allows you to see items not available to that character, that will show you wht you want and i beleive you can buy it that way if i remember correctly.
    I think the bigger problem is that the gm/customer service rep didn't know about that button. It's like if I go to McDonalds and ask for a Big Mac and the guy behind the counter says "A big what now?"
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I did know about and try that button, but I could not get to the point of being able to purchase another tome.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilteck View Post
    It only lets you see the missing entries, each with some red text about not being available for your character.

Now, it may cause you an inconvenience but the measure do help other people not buy a tome twice they can't use.

Not sure if they can't be purchased while under level, but if it is preventing you from purchasing on sale or
    discount you can try contact account support to ask for a manual purchase.
    (be clear that you are not being able to purchase the tome, and also make sure it is with account support, not any of the other support channels)
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 10-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizar View Post
    The reason I ask is because I was logged in on my main character and spotted tomes were on offer, so went to buy one for one of my alts, could I buy it, no, could I work out why I couldn't buy it, no. I even raised a ticket asking if the store was broke!
    Which tomes were on offer and when?

I see no sale now, nor mention of any at the time of the OP or for weeks before then on either the twitter feed or the sales webpage.

Community Member

It was actually way back when the +3 tomes were on offer.

I don't often post on the forums, but I thought this was a sensible request for a change.

And yes I realise it protects players from over buying tomes, but as I also stated they are BtA so can be passed to other characters and also you can buy more than 1 when you can buy them, so stopping a particular character from buying another tome is perhaps a little over zealous.

And as you say it was only inconvenience and if I had realised at the time why it was stopping that character from buying a tome, I would have changed characters to buy one. But it didn't say why I couldn't buy it, only I couldn't, so I assumed (incorrectly) it was a bug and reported it as a bug, which the support agent couldn't help me with.

It was several days/weeks later after several more forays into the ddo store that I finally realised the reason behind why I couldn't buy a tome.

The thought that it was to protect a buyer from buying too many tomes did not occur to me.
    I knew the item was BtA, you can buy several, why would you stop a character form buying another?

Not to worry, the ddo store team has hopefully looked at this request and they can consider whether to do anything about the request.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizar View Post
    It was actually way back when the +3 tomes were on offer.

I don't often post on the forums, but I thought this was a sensible request for a change.

And yes I realise it protects players from over buying tomes, but as I also stated they are BtA so can be passed to other characters and also you can buy more than 1 when you can buy them, so stopping a particular character from buying another tome is perhaps a little over zealous.
    You can not buy more than one of the same tome when you buy them, and you can only pass extras to other characters if you have a shared bank. Not everyone does.

I really don't see why this change is necessary, if you want to buy a tome for a certain character, do so on that character.

Why couldn't you swap over to the character who needed the tome and buy it afterward?

I guess I'm just not seeing the issue here. Why is it an issue?