Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default Curse of the Druid

    Been trying to run this with a guildie on elite for streak; then hard, getting our a$$e$ handed to us. Is there some kind of strategy I'm not trying against the primal wisps? Hold monster/ Charm monster/ dancing ball/ wail of the banshee/ most elemental spells do nothing at all, and the few spells that do (necrotic ray as group leader of the PUG I finally finished with mentioned), force missiles and necrotic blast do OK (250-300 normally) but nowhere near fast enough to make them a viable option... what am I missing? We get in, hang a left and immediately are beset by wood woads and primal wisps. Walking slower, sneaking, none of that appears to make a difference. They all appear at once and the whole clearing is beset. We got a rogue that was able to pull about half at a time, but even then without a lot of luck with the die rolls we would have wiped...

    Drama: To that group I ran with last night, I do not apologize for anything I said, and will go so far as to put it out there that there are a few guidelines everyone should endeavor to go by. I will not name names, or bring the offending party any attention, but:

    1. I don't care if you have a baby, RL issues, a buddy in Iraq/ Iran/ prison/ McDonald's working the drive thru. None of that concerns me. If you go AFK, common courtesy is to at least type something into party chat like "AFK", "baby" "brb" , "I have herps" or whatever. In this particular instance the group leader mentioned the person had been taking "TV breaks", whatever that is, and that is rude and inconsiderate.

    2. This is a video game. I am not going to be pedantic insofar as my diction or usage of grammar whilst playing a video game. My point was gotten across. If you feel the need to constantly correct people's grammar, become a teacher. According to most politicians that's the way to make untold millions anyway. Doing it once or twice is funny. Doing it over and over makes you a tool.

    3. Saying I suck because I did not lead the kill count is a lame, overused and ignorant argument when I mention you are a filthy piker and should log off and take care of your child instead of wasting a party slot with your constant unannounced AFKs. There are a myriad bunch of reasons I am not leading kill count: If the stuff in there was CC-able, I may be busy doing crowd control. I may be busy buffing the group. I WAS busy kiting wood woads while the rest of the group was busy heroically fighting wisps. Only a first life no talent moron puts forth kill count as evidence of someone doing more or not doing enough. It takes very little to be the last person to hit something. If your argument for your worth in a party or someone else's lack of worth is kill count, you do not have a leg to stand on. Yes, I say this and I have led kill count on a lot of quests in this game. If that's all you can come up with and you weren't even there to see what I was doing, you have lost the argument.

    4. When one party or the other tried to amicably end the petty bickering by going back to trying to complete the quest, keeping up your side of the argument the entire time just goes to show what a petty loser you really are. Grow up and drop it.

    5. If I am standing on the OTHER SIDE OF THE LARGE CLEARING from the enemies assisting the rest of the party when you finish doing 1-4 above and finally grace us with your presence and I manage to pull all aggro using un-empowered, un-heightened, un-maximized ice storm and force missiles off of the rest of the party and die, making snarky comments about me dying will make me love you. Maybe a little less since you obviously can't keep aggro from a "gimpy undead distraction" as you called me, but love nevertheless because people who are socially inept fascinate me. Mentioning that I am a TR and I should be able to self heal out of any situation was icing on the cake. If the idea that TRs should never die and should be invincible is what the norm is (and reading the forums one could very conceivably come to that conclusion) then why play the game once you reincarnate? You are completely, totally invincible, what fun is there to be had playing the game? What kind of arrogant prick are you that you play a game where you cannot die and drag others who are less fortunate through quests to document your awesomeness? Dying doesn't mean I am a terrible player. It means I was at least trying instead of finding a safe hollow to hide in while everyone else goes out and does my dirty work, and I would rather die than cower like a beaten dog in the corner.

    To the person I said I wouldn't mention and then went on to mention over and over in the above post, I have only known you for about 30 minutes and based on that I highly doubt anyone would spend the time getting to know you enough to reproduce with you, but if that was the case having a kid in no way excuses you acting like you did. I have a small child too and RL takes precedence any day of the week but a little common courtesy goes a long way in a game. Just the fact that I know you have a kid is more than I need to know, and this goes to a larger issue I think that exists in this game as a whole. I don't need to know ANYTHING about you or your life or your disabilities or your political leanings or what drugs/ alcohol you are under the influence of or where you live or where you go to school or what color your underwear is (really, someone in a PUG felt the need to tell me that) or how you had a bad day at work. This is a game. I log on to play a game with anonymous people and if the conversation floats a little to that end that's fine but I in no way need to know anything about you that I can't figure out in a game. Keep it impersonal people.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  2. #2
    Community Member mrphlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Good rant. Please get the piker in here to answer!

  3. #3
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default I think he reads the forums

    And though it highly seems like it I am not interested in continuing our bickering on a public forum, that's what a breakdancing floor is for, for settling battles between real men.

    I take some of the blame for this too. I could have easily ignored his snide comment that started it and been the better man, or not gotten into a bickering contest with him at all. I chose not to do that, which makes me implicit and partly to blame. I let him get a few jabs and then said I was done arguing with him, and he chose to keep it up. Then we caught up with Halsaime, and the end fight ensued. I got completely surrounded by Wood Woads/ druids/ primal wisps and as I chose to take heighten instead of quicken I bit the dust through repeated concentration check failures (not whining, that was my fault). Saying something like "Wow, all that self healing obviously isn't enough is it?" was the final straw and what prompted this rant.

    I like that people get along and feel comfortable enough that they can share stuff about themselves. What I DON'T like is when you constantly feel the need to bring something up to use as a crutch so that people feel bad for criticizing you and you take advantage of that by being morally and generally inept. I also like the "all or none" approach to living, thus rather than tell a certain subset of people I don't want to hear about them I would rather not hear about ANY PUGgers life or hardships.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  4. #4
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Been trying to run this with a guildie on elite for streak; then hard, getting our a$$e$ handed to us. Is there some kind of strategy I'm not trying against the primal wisps? Hold monster/ Charm monster/ dancing ball/ wail of the banshee/ most elemental spells do nothing at all, and the few spells that do (necrotic ray as group leader of the PUG I finally finished with mentioned), force missiles and necrotic blast do OK (250-300 normally) but nowhere near fast enough to make them a viable option... what am I missing? We get in, hang a left and immediately are beset by wood woads and primal wisps. Walking slower, sneaking, none of that appears to make a difference. They all appear at once and the whole clearing is beset. We got a rogue that was able to pull about half at a time, but even then without a lot of luck with the die rolls we would have wiped...
    If I remember correctly, Disintigrate works pretty well on them. They are also vulnirable to force damage (as you found out), but are also chaotic evil. A weapon with Axiomatic / True Law and good should work just dandy if you don't get killed trying to take them out.

    Is the rogue pulling one at a time so that you can kill them, or several? And is he / she pulling them in a straight line, or around a corner? I could be wrong on this, but since the primal wisp is technically a ranged mob, pulling them around a corner, one at a time, forces the monster to move to a place where they can actually hit you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Drama: To that group I ran with last night, I do not apologize for anything I said, and will go so far as to put it out there that there are a few guidelines everyone should endeavor to go by. I will not name names, or bring the offending party any attention, but:

    1. I don't care if you have a baby, RL issues, a buddy in Iraq/ Iran/ prison/ McDonald's working the drive thru. None of that concerns me. If you go AFK, common courtesy is to at least type something into party chat like "AFK", "baby" "brb" , "I have herps" or whatever. In this particular instance the group leader mentioned the person had been taking "TV breaks", whatever that is, and that is rude and inconsiderate.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    2. This is a video game. I am not going to be pedantic insofar as my diction or usage of grammar whilst playing a video game. My point was gotten across. If you feel the need to constantly correct people's grammar, become a teacher. According to most politicians that's the way to make untold millions anyway. Doing it once or twice is funny. Doing it over and over makes you a tool.
    +1

    As a side note, this is REALLY common behavior on anything social-internet-y. You get what I define as the Walking Spell-checker, who feels the need to correct every sentance for spelling and grammar. Generally, they are individuals who are compensating for a wholesale lack of intelligence or for being accomplished at anything worthy of note. If you are the editor in a sizable publishing house, well, I can understand the compulsion (and I would assume that if they were in an online game, they probably wouldn't be "taking work home with them," so to speak). If you're not an editor at a major publishing house...well...you're just being an obnoxious d*ckweed, compensating for your lack of intelligence and/or accomplishments in life.

    Honestly, I'd LOVE to be there when one of them tried to publish something professionally...just to watch the caustic dose of humility set in...

    I often tell my kids: if you want to be seen as being generally smarter than you really are, learn how to write well. You can be a total moron and forward ideas that are totally idiotic, but so long as you communicate effectively and with a certain amount of literal style people will think you're a genius. The reality is that you're just a moron presenting an idiotic idea really, really well...

    (Ok, rant off...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    3. Saying I suck because I did not lead the kill count is a lame, overused and ignorant argument when I mention you are a filthy piker and should log off and take care of your child instead of wasting a party slot with your constant unannounced AFKs. There are a myriad bunch of reasons I am not leading kill count: If the stuff in there was CC-able, I may be busy doing crowd control. I may be busy buffing the group. I WAS busy kiting wood woads while the rest of the group was busy heroically fighting wisps. Only a first life no talent moron puts forth kill count as evidence of someone doing more or not doing enough. It takes very little to be the last person to hit something. If your argument for your worth in a party or someone else's lack of worth is kill count, you do not have a leg to stand on. Yes, I say this and I have led kill count on a lot of quests in this game. If that's all you can come up with and you weren't even there to see what I was doing, you have lost the argument.

    4. When one party or the other tried to amicably end the petty bickering by going back to trying to complete the quest, keeping up your side of the argument the entire time just goes to show what a petty loser you really are. Grow up and drop it.

    5. If I am standing on the OTHER SIDE OF THE LARGE CLEARING from the enemies assisting the rest of the party when you finish doing 1-4 above and finally grace us with your presence and I manage to pull all aggro using un-empowered, un-heightened, un-maximized ice storm and force missiles off of the rest of the party and die, making snarky comments about me dying will make me love you. Maybe a little less since you obviously can't keep aggro from a "gimpy undead distraction" as you called me, but love nevertheless because people who are socially inept fascinate me. Mentioning that I am a TR and I should be able to self heal out of any situation was icing on the cake. If the idea that TRs should never die and should be invincible is what the norm is (and reading the forums one could very conceivably come to that conclusion) then why play the game once you reincarnate? You are completely, totally invincible, what fun is there to be had playing the game? What kind of arrogant prick are you that you play a game where you cannot die and drag others who are less fortunate through quests to document your awesomeness? Dying doesn't mean I am a terrible player. It means I was at least trying instead of finding a safe hollow to hide in while everyone else goes out and does my dirty work, and I would rather die than cower like a beaten dog in the corner.

    To the person I said I wouldn't mention and then went on to mention over and over in the above post, I have only known you for about 30 minutes and based on that I highly doubt anyone would spend the time getting to know you enough to reproduce with you, but if that was the case having a kid in no way excuses you acting like you did. I have a small child too and RL takes precedence any day of the week but a little common courtesy goes a long way in a game. Just the fact that I know you have a kid is more than I need to know, and this goes to a larger issue I think that exists in this game as a whole. I don't need to know ANYTHING about you or your life or your disabilities or your political leanings or what drugs/ alcohol you are under the influence of or where you live or where you go to school or what color your underwear is (really, someone in a PUG felt the need to tell me that) or how you had a bad day at work. This is a game. I log on to play a game with anonymous people and if the conversation floats a little to that end that's fine but I in no way need to know anything about you that I can't figure out in a game. Keep it impersonal people.
    Rough run, eh?

    BTW, my underwear colors run the range from white, to black, and industral gray.




    Oh, and I wear boxer briefs.
    Last edited by squishwizzy; 10-01-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  5. #5
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default You don't count

    Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    If I remember correctly, Disintigrate works pretty well on them. They are also vulnirable to force damage (as you found out), but are also chaotic evil. A weapon with Axiomatic / True Law and good should work just dandy if you don't get killed trying to take them out.

    Is the rogue pulling one at a time so that you can kill them, or several? And is he / she pulling them in a straight line, or around a corner? I could be wrong on this, but since the primal wisp is technically a ranged mob, pulling them around a corner, one at a time, forces the monster to move to a place where they can actually hit you.

    As a side note, this is REALLY common behavior on anything social-internet-y. You get what I define as the Walking Spell-checker, who feels the need to correct every sentance for spelling and grammar. Generally, they are individuals who are compensating for a wholesale lack of intelligence or for being accomplished at anything worthy of note. If you are the editor in a sizable publishing house, well, I can understand the compulsion (and I would assume that if they were in an online game, they probably wouldn't be "taking work home with them," so to speak). If you're not an editor at a major publishing house...well...you're just being an obnoxious d*ckweed, compensating for your lack of intelligence and/or accomplishments in life.

    Honestly, I'd LOVE to be there when one of them tried to publish something professionally...just to watch the caustic dose of humility set in...

    I often tell my kids: if you want to be seen as being generally smarter than you really are, learn how to write well. You can be a total moron and forward ideas that are totally idiotic, but so long as you communicate effectively and with a certain amount of literal style people will think you're a genius. The reality is that you're just a moron presenting an idiotic idea really, really well...

    (Ok, rant off...)



    Rough run, eh?

    BTW, my underwear colors run the range from white, to black, and industral gray.




    Oh, and I wear boxer briefs.
    Because that's how you join all my PUGs: (Party) Antipan: Hey thanks for accepting. My panties are green with red lace this evening.

    Disintegrate did work OK, but if I take necrotic ray I had to get rid of something, and I was under the assumption that Mass suggestion or whatever the CC spells were would still be more useful than disintegrate, so I swapped that out... I will take that and necro ray and see how it goes, guildy still wants to run through it...

    The rogue was doing a great job, very cautious, but still was pulling 5 at a time, 2-3 wisps and 2 wood woads each time, and the way we got past them finally was pulling them around the corner into an ice storm while I stood on the tree trunk and hit em with force missiles... but that gets to be SP intensive, and torc-ing up only works if they DON'T kill you in 3 hits even sporting a Fanion. I loved the mood in there though, and the overall design of the quest, and I don't want to make the fights trivial, just a little more doable is all I am asking...

    That guy... I was mad. I shouldnt have argued back, but he just rubbed me the wrong way (it's NORTH-SOUTH, not EAST-WEST!!!!) and I went off... I was going to talk in voice chat but it would have quickly devolved; as long as I was typing I had to think about what I was writing...
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  6. #6
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Because that's how you join all my PUGs: (Party) Antipan: Hey thanks for accepting. My panties are green with red lace this evening.

    Well...I will from now on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Disintegrate did work OK, but if I take necrotic ray I had to get rid of something, and I was under the assumption that Mass suggestion or whatever the CC spells were would still be more useful than disintegrate, so I swapped that out... I will take that and necro ray and see how it goes, guildy still wants to run through it...
    According to the wiki:

    Immunity to Magic, Immunity to Electricity, Immunity to Acid, 50% Cold, Fire, Light and Sonic Absorption, Vulnerbility (10-25%) to Force, Infinite Spell Resistance

    So, CC? Probably not going to happen regardless of what you use. I think I tried that at first, and quickly changed when it had no effect. I think I ended up going the DoT route.


    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    The rogue was doing a great job, very cautious, but still was pulling 5 at a time, 2-3 wisps and 2 wood woads each time, and the way we got past them finally was pulling them around the corner into an ice storm while I stood on the tree trunk and hit em with force missiles... but that gets to be SP intensive, and torc-ing up only works if they DON'T kill you in 3 hits even sporting a Fanion. I loved the mood in there though, and the overall design of the quest, and I don't want to make the fights trivial, just a little more doable is all I am asking...
    Dumb question, but did you try FoD?

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    That guy... I was mad. I shouldnt have argued back, but he just rubbed me the wrong way (it's NORTH-SOUTH, not EAST-WEST!!!!) and I went off... I was going to talk in voice chat but it would have quickly devolved; as long as I was typing I had to think about what I was writing...
    Yeah, been there.

    My favorite was a run where my AA was tending a healbot in a group that was specifically non-zerg. I'm in the back doing the "pew pew" thing while the barb (complainer in question) runs off and starts aggro-ing everything. Then he complains that a) we're piking (not just me, but the whole party) , and b) I need to do a better job of healing him.

    I said something along the lines of, "Oh, Ok, I can fix that." I relased and dropped group.

    Problem solved.

    Hated to do it to the rest of the group, but if they were content to run off with that obnoxious jack a**, especially after he accused them all of piking, then they deserve what they got.
    Last edited by squishwizzy; 10-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  7. #7
    Community Member Yazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Drama thread? In my Ghallanda?

  8. #8
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default FOD didn't work

    I tried it, got the blue Spell blocked thingy on em... Gonna shave my back and try again tonight... my saves aren't SUPER high as this is my first wiz, but haven't had any issues with my DCs as of yet (34-35ish, depending) on anything else. I also notice that trying to target them is tough, you have to click just to the right of them to actually target them, which is fine if you don't have mouselook on, but I doooooooo! /Goldfinger voice

    Will try suggestions tonight and see waddup.

    And no, Yazzman, this is all a dream...a dream.... a dream.....
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  9. #9
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default Great...

    Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    Well...I will from now on.



    According to the wiki:

    Immunity to Magic, Immunity to Electricity, Immunity to Acid, 50% Cold, Fire, Light and Sonic Absorption, Vulnerbility (10-25%) to Force, Infinite Spell Resistance
    I'm elec/ acid specced... guess it's time to respec and go back to cold... *sigh* I thought I had something with Darkstorm Helm, I was able to consolidate and go elec and null from helm and found a decent corrosion/ impulse QS... :/
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  10. #10
    Community Member Pewf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Arrrgggh! My eyes!! *Beats thread down with a stick*

    Drama has no place here!

    Ohhh just joking. Sucks that you had such a bad pug experience. :c I wish you good luck on your future adventure!
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta

  11. #11
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    I tried it, got the blue Spell blocked thingy on em... Gonna shave my back and try again tonight... my saves aren't SUPER high as this is my first wiz, but haven't had any issues with my DCs as of yet (34-35ish, depending) on anything else. I also notice that trying to target them is tough, you have to click just to the right of them to actually target them, which is fine if you don't have mouselook on, but I doooooooo! /Goldfinger voice

    Will try suggestions tonight and see waddup.

    And no, Yazzman, this is all a dream...a dream.... a dream.....
    FoD is a Fort save, and I don't *think* it is related to Spell Resistence. If you FoD and they take damage, it's probably because your necro mojo isn't strong enough.

    In that case, try using a combo like Necrotic Ray / Fod or Energy Drain / FoD (I only say this because you mentioned that this is your first wizzy). The Necrotic Ray / Energy Drain drops their levels, decreses their saves, and the FoD usually kills them outright. If I have problems just outright doing an FoD on an enemy, this specific combo usually does the trick all the way up to eHard on a quest. Antipan is a first-lifer with the same approximate DC values, and I can usually use the combo on virtually anythiing living with about a 75% chance of success.

    If the rogue only pulls one the wisps at a time using bluff, while it may be somewhat time-consuming, you could theoretically yank one wisp at a time away from the rest without aggro-ing a whole mob of them. Then when they are in range (and far enough away from the rest of the group that killing them won't trigger the others to attack), you neg-level and finger them.

    I don't recall if this worked when I tried it in this same quest (usually that's the first combo I try on anything that isn't either a construct or undead). the wisp is catgorized as an aberration, so my thought is that it should work.

    The Wood Woads, however, I'm pretty sure you'll have to do an old-school beat-down to kill them. They'll most likely have a high fort save.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  12. #12
    Community Member cave_diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Freeway Mitting
    Posts
    457

    Default

    I would just repec in magister with the nullmagic line...turns those wisps inside out. As someone said in another thread like cr 0.5 kolbolds
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: Home of Tesrali build 2.0

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    860

    Default

    FoD does need to get through Spell Resistance, which is pretty extreme in the case of those Primal Wisps. I wouldn't bank on any spell using it to actually land.

    Sonic and Force spells are fairly sparse at the high end, but untyped damage like Meteor Swarm or Cyclonic Blast should not get reduced. I don't know about Horrid Wilting, but its worth trying since that does very well against the Wood Woads anyway.

  14. #14
    Community Member squishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    FoD does need to get through Spell Resistance, which is pretty extreme in the case of those Primal Wisps. I wouldn't bank on any spell using it to actually land.

    Sonic and Force spells are fairly sparse at the high end, but untyped damage like Meteor Swarm or Cyclonic Blast should not get reduced. I don't know about Horrid Wilting, but its worth trying since that does very well against the Wood Woads anyway.
    I just read in a post in the Casters section (I can't find it now...as should be expected) on spec-ing a sorc mentioning people running around spamming Meteor Swarm specifically against the wisps. I can see MS being something like Ice Storm with force being mixed in with elemental damage.

    As for horrid wilting against the Wood Woads...that's a good tip. I've never used it for various reasons. Funny enough I was going to write something about using corrosive salt weapons, and seeing how they do against some of the stuff in this chain.

    Another thing - now that I know where the SR entry is located on a DDO wiki page :P - how about Prismatic Ray and Prismatic Spray? Both of these bypass SR and I also saw the following wiki entry:

    Note that Spell Resistance does not protect against any of these effects, including the non-damaging ones.

    This spell is random, but interesting. The violet beam can be extremely powerful, especially when used against enemies who are otherwise immune to most other insta-kill effects.

    The following effrects can be real beneficial to killing wisps: Death, Sending something to another plane (banish by another name), and turning something to stone.

    The other effects are fear (which sorta sucks), fire attack (not so sucky), acid attack (very sucky as they are immune), and lighning (see the suckiness of acid). Again, one of those spells I rarely ever use...

    Thoughts anyone?
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

  15. #15
    Community Member chance2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    349

    Talking We did hard with 3

    We were able to do hard with 3 people.
    Multi life level 25 half elf Sorc electric specked.
    a tr pally think he is also 24 or 25
    and my Smigit level 23 1st lifer dwarven fighter.
    We left our acme hirelings at the shrine.
    The pally pulled a few back.
    Smigit went after the wisps while they entertained the others.
    would switch between helms (helm of free will) and the purple dragon one
    Helm of free will from the Titan raid gives protection from fear.

    Now when I went solo in the quest on normal.
    Hireling, and Onyx Panther. It was rough.
    Left the hireling by the shrine and went and started the fight.
    Ran to the shrine to fight between lay waste, cleave, momentum swing I managed it.
    I did happen to die a time or two (one hundred and twenty three times)
    Being that it is a game I do not mind a few deaths. Even 123 (that is my personal record)
    Lets just say after like 5 deaths I had something to prove to myself.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

  16. #16
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    My sorc uses prismatic spray more than any other cc or instakill spell, because it ignores spell resistance, and my sorc's spell pen is pretty low. I spam it like crazy most anywhere. Works wonders. Wisps are viscious though and manage to surivive alot of it IIRC. Havent been in there in a while though, so I might be misremembering it. Worth trying to see how you like it. It also has the advantage (for some) of being evocation rather than necro, and beeing enhanced by any elemental line you have (highest applies).
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  17. #17
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,517

    Default Thanks for the tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by chance2000 View Post
    We were able to do hard with 3 people.
    Multi life level 25 half elf Sorc electric specked.
    a tr pally think he is also 24 or 25
    and my Smigit level 23 1st lifer dwarven fighter.
    We left our acme hirelings at the shrine.
    The pally pulled a few back.
    Smigit went after the wisps while they entertained the others.
    would switch between helms (helm of free will) and the purple dragon one
    Helm of free will from the Titan raid gives protection from fear.

    Now when I went solo in the quest on normal.
    Hireling, and Onyx Panther. It was rough.
    Left the hireling by the shrine and went and started the fight.
    Ran to the shrine to fight between lay waste, cleave, momentum swing I managed it.
    I did happen to die a time or two (one hundred and twenty three times)
    Being that it is a game I do not mind a few deaths. Even 123 (that is my personal record)
    Lets just say after like 5 deaths I had something to prove to myself.
    I wanted to get the "gobs" of xp from it, and so did it at elite on a level 18 but was in a full group (does a full group of random puggers constitute a greater challenge than just a hireling?) My guildy went in solo and said he got like 5 enemies total in there on normal, so looks like a scaling issue or something?

    And I tried using (not on the wisps) hypno and FOD and that seems to be working wonders on everything else that has high saves (drow cleriiiiiiiics!) so am going to hit that up too, I think hypno + waves of exhaustion + FOD is the ticket to those little snots. It's almost cool that you have to kind of respec for that one enemy, but then I remember I don't want to because I'm lazy and then it's not cool.

    I have no idea what a magister is or any of that stuff, this will be my first foray into epic levels or even paying attention to them (have purposely not paid any attention because I want to experience it first hand)... I hear a lot about Grandmaster of Flowers, which does not sound very warrior-like.

    Anyhoo, gonna hit it up on hard tonight with said guildie and no rogues, wish me lunch!
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  18. #18
    Community Member Nephilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    1,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Anyhoo, gonna hit it up on hard tonight with said guildie and no rogues, wish me lunch!
    I think I'd more likely wish u a dinner :P
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

  19. #19
    Community Member iconiclastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    184

    Default

    There really isn't any way to pull a couple of those mobs at a time however since there is a small opening and the wisps tend to use electrical spells from a range I usually just minimze the damage by standing on the peripheral.The trick is to be just enough on it for the spell to hit the side instead of you.One innate necro blast aught to get u aggro.Once the woads are out of the way the mellee can wipe up the wisps pretty easily.

    As for ur troubles at least the guy didnt grab quest items and then go afk,had that happen in necropolis the guy looted the gear and 5 seconds later typed 4-5 min afk.

  20. #20
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    We've short manned this a few times w/ my little 3 man guild (once just 2 of us) on Epic Hard. The damage can be and is quite spikey ... bursts. Whether or not it's multiple wisps chaining lightning or lots of mobs hitting in melee at (essentially) the same time.

    When it was 2 of us we found it best to generally go to an old stand-by of "one dude grabs aggro and kites / tanks / whatever ... and the other one picks things off".

    I'm not sure what your actual class mix will end up being. We did this w/ 2 casters and a caster/rogue team. There were still a few deaths at inopportune times, but so be it - there are shrines and we've all got scrolls or clickies.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload