Community Member

Default "Perma"-death raids

Hey all-

So with people complaining about how easy quests are etc. etc., I was thinking of starting some no-rez-until-endloot raids. Specifically, caught in the web. It feels like the raid might play a lot differently if a death means more than being out of commission for 15 seconds or whatever. (We did try this last night, though it failed hard at the legs stage)

How many might be interested in this sort of thing in the future? By nature it does seem like a fairly unforgiving mechanism, but are there any ideas out there as to how to make it accessible? How big of a problem would intentionally-dying-then-piking potentially be? Is there a good way to deal with the legs stage, where in general it's pretty easy to avoid getting knocked off the edge, but occasionally the game just seems to root you in one spot as four spiders surround you and a leg pops out from under you?
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Shroud would sure suck following this format

Seriously though, that just causes pikers. Make it die and be dismissed and then you really are being hardcore

Community Member

Dismissed really, really sucks, though! Especially when people could've put in 40-50 minutes of real effort and accidentally gotten knocked off the edge by a goristro at the last battle, when you're just -that- close to loot.

...alright, so maybe that's awesome in its own way. What about time limits? Die in the first 10 minutes and you get dismissed? Intermediate points, like rezzes only at orbs?
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    Dismissed really, really sucks, though! Especially when people could've put in 40-50 minutes of real effort and accidentally gotten knocked off the edge by a goristro at the last battle, when you're just -that- close to loot.

...alright, so maybe that's awesome in its own way. What about time limits? Die in the first 10 minutes and you get dismissed? Intermediate points, like rezzes only at orbs?
    Of course being dismissed sucks; so does toting around 11 pikers while you solo everything

Perhaps 1st death gets a rez, second death, leave their stone where it lies, and if they can rez themselves in some way they can keep going? You wouldnt have to worry as much about folks piking to completion that way, and it gives everyone one freebie when death is simply unavoidable -- while still adding that extra element of danger I think you are going for.

Community Member

My character died in CitW because of the lag... twice. But it's ok, if you would like to form groups with "perma-death" option, but don't forget to put it in the LFM.

Community Member

I would look into this idea if people were easily beating elite.

For now, if the raid feels easy, moving to a harder difficulty might help.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I would look into this idea if people were easily beating elite.

For now, if the raid feels easy, moving to a harder difficulty might help.
    It's not so much difficulty per se, though that is a part of it, as it is a different flavor. A way to spice up normal a bit for people who aren't ready for hard/elite.

Lag aside, I suspect normal with this option would be easier than hard without.

Perma-death raids? Excellent idea! Let's start with Reaver's Fate!

...oh wait...

Every single time I do Shroud, I die...
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Quote Originally Posted by varusso View Post
    Of course being dismissed sucks; so does toting around 11 pikers while you solo everything

Perhaps 1st death gets a rez, second death, leave their stone where it lies, and if they can rez themselves in some way they can keep going? You wouldnt have to worry as much about folks piking to completion that way, and it gives everyone one freebie when death is simply unavoidable -- while still adding that extra element of danger I think you are going for.
    As long as the group gets past the legs stage in CitW this pretty much means everyone can always come back because all you have to do is jump off the edge and use the rez shrine.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind