Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorcerer build

Community Member

Default Sorcerer build

hi

i got sorcerer lvl 8 almost 9 earth savant and i don't know which feats i should take i got maximize
    empower and toughness i am planning to take extend but after that i have no idea which feats to take
    after that.

- Maximize - necessary for all sorcerers
    - Empower - necessary for all sorcerers
    - Toughness - always useful for any class
    - Extend - this is a convenience feat, you're there to deal damage, not buff; leave extend for the wizards, clerics, and spellsingers, I say
    - Quicken - excellent choice for a warforged, otherwise useful but not necessary
    - Heighten - not too useful for an earth savant, but it's still a good pick for any caster
    - Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus - conjuration is often taken by earth savants, since many acid spells are conjuration. Evocation is also good, but not quite as useful for earth.
    - Past Life Feats - if you have them; wizard past life is always a good choice

Feats to avoid:
    - Mental Toughness - you have a gargantuan amount of SP already, you don't really need more
    - Metamagic Feats - other than those listed above, the others aren't worth a feat slot
    - Mobile Spellcasting - not worth a feat slot
    - Combat Casting - not worth a feat slot
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 09-30-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Community Member

ty but now i got another problem(i don't know anything about casters)which spell to take from lvl 4-9?
    and even if i take quicken and spell focus+G i still have one feat so what to take?
    Last edited by Treepower; 09-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treepower View Post
    ty but now i got another problem(i don't know anything about casters)which spell to take from lvl 4-9?
    and even if i take quicken and spell focus+G i still have one feat so what to take?
    Acid Rain
    Acid Spray (replaced by your SLA at level 6)
    Acid Blast
    Acid Fog
    Melf's Acid Arrow (replaced by your SLA at level 12)
    Black Dragon Bolt
    Burning Blood
    Meteor Swarm

Always, always, always pick a secondary element, in case something is immune to your primary one. Fire meshes very well with earth for maximum AoE capabilities (firewall, incendiary cloud), and fire damage also affects Meteor Swarm and Burning Blood, giving you very nice damage on those spells. Water, on the other hand, works well because you lack nuking power and water is very good at nuking, and boosts your damage with Biting Cold for bosses. Avoid air spells, obviously, since you have a deficiency in them and they rely heavily on evocation DC's, something you're probably not going to be good at; Electric Surge is okay for bosses, but not necessary.

Other than damage spells, you might also consider the following:
    Web - bread and butter CC for sorcerers and wizards, don't leave home without it
    Prismatic Spray/Ray - very random effects, but doesn't have a spell resistance check and random DC's
    Power Word Kill/Stun - only requires a spell resistance check and no save
    Finger of Death - it's okay for some content, but you'll never be as strong as a wizard using this

Other than those:
    Haste - required
    Rage - required
    Blur - required early on, but later it's up to you to keep it; I would, honestly, it's useful
    Displacement - required
    Greater Heroism - not required but extremely useful
    Dimension Door - required
    Teleport/Greater Teleport - use scrolls for these, sorcerers have very high UMD for scrolls and wands
    Stoneskin - required; as an earth savant, this will be very strong

A for feats, if you can't decide on anything, take spell focus evocation, plenty of those spells around.
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 09-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    - Extend - this is a convenience feat, you're there to deal damage, not buff; leave extend for the wizards, clerics, and spellsingers, I say
    - Quicken - excellent choice for a warforged, otherwise useful but not necessary
    - Heighten - not too useful for an earth savant, but it's still a good pick for any caster
    - Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus - conjuration is often taken by earth savants, since many acid spells are conjuration. Evocation is also good, but not quite as useful for earth.

Feats to avoid:
    - Mental Toughness - you have a gargantuan amount of SP already, you don't really need more
    - Metamagic Feats - other than those listed above, the others aren't worth a feat slot
    I know much of what if said here is what is generally considered to be the consensus in feat selection for sorcs. I agree with much of it, however a couple of things that I would want to add.
    1st - spell focus needs to be taken early. if you don't have a spell focus chosen you will not be able to unlock your 1st tier savant.
    2nd - I have played many sorc lives on different toons and I will say that I have used extend on some and skipped it on others. I say skip it altogether. when you hit higher levels your haste/rage/displace (the only spells I would use it on if I even had it) will last long enough.
    3rd - people always say to skip mental toughness, but I always take it and improved mental toughness. Ever see a sorc with over 3,200 sp? how do you think they got that many? I love me some sp's and I always take those feats. are they necessary? no, you can get by with 2,800ish (you are a first life toon so you probably wont get that high) but I wouldn't just brush those feats off and ignore them.
    Main toon Gromphia I have others but that is really the only one I play

Community Member

ty for the help and about the secound elemental i am using force

Quote Originally Posted by sireric View Post
    3rd - people always say to skip mental toughness, but I always take it and improved mental toughness. Ever see a sorc with over 3,200 sp? how do you think they got that many? I love me some sp's and I always take those feats. are they necessary? no, you can get by with 2,800ish (you are a first life toon so you probably wont get that high) but I wouldn't just brush those feats off and ignore them.
    With only 2 FVS past lives (that's only +40 SP) and no mental toughness feats, I reached around 3400 SP using the draconic destiny and twisting the endless faith 10% buff from exalted angel. That's more than enough for most of the end-game content. Greensteel SP item (or the warwizard set), an archmagi item (very easy to find, nowadays), a good charisma score, and the 10% endless faith buff is plenty.

Multi-TR's can afford mental toughness sometimes, because we've accumulated gear and past lives to help make up for feats, such as greater spell focus. First and second lifers might want to hold off on mental toughness for more important feats.
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 09-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Community Member

With only 2 FVS past lives (that's only +40 SP) and no mental toughness feats, I reached around 3400 SP using the draconic destiny and twisting the endless faith 10% buff from exalted angel. That's more than enough for most of the end-game content. Greensteel SP item (or the warwizard set), an archmagi item (very easy to find, nowadays), a good charisma score, and the 10% endless faith buff is plenty.

Multi-TR's can afford mental toughness sometimes, because we've accumulated gear and past lives to help make up for feats, such as greater spell focus. First and second lifers might want to hold off on mental toughness for more important feats.
    My problem is that I have been so busy trying to get past lives on my main toon that I haven't even looked at any epic destiny stuff. In fact I don't have a single toon over 20. I am still locked in to toons capping at 20. You are correct when you add 5 more levels and some epic destiny stuff you can skip those.

Community Member

Also I like to go Fire savant early then go water at about level 16ish. It is hard to beat a freezing sphere/cone of cold combo on a mob. I always use force as my backup. disintegrate is too much fun against constructs. But Acid/fire is a solid choice.

I think it can be wise to create a wizard instead of sorcerer if you're new to arcanes.

1. It's much easier to try out and learn all about the spells since you can swap freely in taverns and after resting. It can be a bit painful for a sorceror if it's the first time you're playing an arcane.
    2. You can do a TR1 life into sorcerer, and pick up the past life wizard feat, giving you +1 DC on all your spells (also gives +2 spell penetration if you want to fiddle a bit with spells subject to spell resistance).
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    I think it can be wise to create a wizard instead of sorcerer if you're new to arcanes.

1. It's much easier to try out and learn all about the spells since you can swap freely in taverns and after resting. It can be a bit painful for a sorceror if it's the first time you're playing an arcane.
    2. You can do a TR1 life into sorcerer, and pick up the past life wizard feat, giving you +1 DC on all your spells (also gives +2 spell penetration if you want to fiddle a bit with spells subject to spell resistance).
    This was true pre-U14, but I think it's different, now.

The issue with wizard is spell penetration and DC's. You have to really work at your DC's and spell pen in order to meet standards in end-game content without wizard/fvs/sorc past lives. EE is beyond the grasp of a first lifer. A sorcerer can squeak by in EE with sub-par DC's (if you're not an air savant), a wizard cannot.

A sorcerer might be less forgiving in spell choice but dragon's blood potions are easily found nowadays and with savants it's not hard to pick an element then grab all the spells for it (savants are more like guidelines, now), and you should always read guides and ask questions on the forums before actually playing. This guy's on the right track, so far.

Feats to avoid:
    I agree on almost everything, especially feats to AVOID, but I don't agree that empower is necessary for all casters. Wizard's main power is his high DCs and mainly death spells, thus not relying on raw power, so for him empower can be skipped, as long as you have maximize for mobs that are immune to death or just bosses.
    I also think that heighten is a must even for earth savant, you still have DCs on some of your conjuration spells, you'll want to heighten web as well, and have SOME means of death spells and even enchantment, as low as your DC will be, they can come in extremely handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Such755 View Post
    I agree on almost everything, especially feats to AVOID, but I don't agree that empower is necessary for all casters. Wizard's main power is his high DCs and mainly death spells, thus not relying on raw power, so for him empower can be skipped, as long as you have maximize for mobs that are immune to death or just bosses.
    I also think that heighten is a must even for earth savant, you still have DCs on some of your conjuration spells, you'll want to heighten web as well, and have SOME means of death spells and even enchantment, as low as your DC will be, they can come in extremely handy.
    It's why I said 'sorcerers' and not casters with empower. I didn't take empower on my cleric or wizard lives on my caster character, either. But for a sorcerer it's about damage, damage, and more damage, where empower is a necessary feat.

Heighten I wouldn't put in the 'necessary' feats list, but I would definitely consider getting it on any caster unless it's a healbot cleric. I wouldn't put it as top priority on a sorcerer, but it is certainly helpful, especially to for air savants.

This was true pre-U14, but I think it's different, now.

The issue with wizard is spell penetration and DC's. You have to really work at your DC's and spell pen in order to meet standards in end-game content without wizard/fvs/sorc past lives. EE is beyond the grasp of a first lifer. A sorcerer can squeak by in EE with sub-par DC's (if you're not an air savant), a wizard cannot.

A sorcerer might be less forgiving in spell choice but dragon's blood potions are easily found nowadays and with savants it's not hard to pick an element then grab all the spells for it (savants are more like guidelines, now), and you should always read guides and ask questions on the forums before actually playing. This guy's on the right track, so far.
    Well... even a first life wizard can get a spell penetration of 50+: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=28, and a wizard/fvs/sorc multi TR train only gives you +1 DC (+4 possible for evocation).
    True, there's dragon's blood, but you still need to collect those, and for a beginner it might require a few of them.

Even so... I didn't really suggest to start playing with a 1st life wizard in EE content. My suggestion was to lvl up a 1st life wizard, learn what you can (and cannot) do with spells, and then TR into a sorc... which will give you a 34 build pt sorc with a +1 DC bonus if you take the wizard PL feat.

I totally agree about guides and questions!

Community Member

ok ty for the help, now i got all the spells and the feats i need but when i need to use empower and maximize and all the metamagic feats? i ask some wizard and he told me he use maximize all the time and i don't think that what i should do so what to use and when(maximize,empower,heighten and quicken)?

ok ty for the help, now i got all the spells and the feats i need but when i need to use empower and maximize and all the metamagic feats? i ask some wizard and he told me he use maximize all the time and i don't think that what i should do so what to use and when(maximize,empower,heighten and quicken)?
    I would suggest to switch on heighten and never turn it off.

Personally, on sorcerer, I usually only use it for reconstruct when I play WF... maybe for some slow spells as well, e.g. disco ball and fogs.

You can make several different shortcuts to the same spell, right click and make different settings for your metas, e.g. have one acid blast with both maximize and empower that you use when you want that extra omph... nuking away, and perhaps another acid blast with no max/emp (killing slower, but more SP effeciently).

Default 2 other reasons to go wizard first

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post

3. If you go from sorc to wizard you will find the casting time to be agonizingly slow, rather than finding the sorc casting time to be quick.
    4. If you go from sorc to wizard you will have a tendancy to try to nuke your way through a quest, and 3 spells later wonder where all your sp went.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    3. If you go from sorc to wizard you will find the casting time to be agonizingly slow, rather than finding the sorc casting time to be quick.
    4. If you go from sorc to wizard you will have a tendancy to try to nuke your way through a quest, and 3 spells later wonder where all your sp went.
    Game knowledge changes this. When you see your 'absurdly' lower SP pool upon playing a wizard, you know you have to play things smart and manage your spells accordingly. It's the mark of good caster to know your role, and know what you can and cannot do. I did 2 FVS lives and a sorcerer life back-to-back then played a wizard life and now a cleric. I didn't have the issue of adapting. It's something that comes with experience.

The wiki says it best:
    "If the Wizard is the Kung Fu Master applying pressure as necessary, the Sorcerer is the Eight Foot Tall Barroom Brawler with a chip on his shoulder."

Play and act accordingly. Experience and learning beats all.

Game knowledge changes this. When you see your 'absurdly' lower SP pool upon playing a wizard, you know you have to play things smart and manage your spells accordingly. It's the mark of good caster to know your role, and know what you can and cannot do. I did 2 FVS lives and a sorcerer life back-to-back then played a wizard life and now a cleric. I didn't have the issue of adapting. It's something that comes with experience.

The wiki says it best:
    "If the Wizard is the Kung Fu Master applying pressure as necessary, the Sorcerer is the Eight Foot Tall Barroom Brawler with a chip on his shoulder."

Play and act accordingly. Experience and learning beats all.
    I don't disagree, but in the context of, first time playing a ____, there isn't going to be much experience.

Community Member

Default 2 last lvls

hello again now my sor if lvl 18 and he is good ty for you'r help but i don't know if take 2 monk lvl for evasion or 2 sor to be lvl 20 sor and get +20% damage on any spell, please help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast