Thread: Conjure Bolts

Community Member

Default Conjure Bolts

Yesterday I decided to try a new build idea for myself. The idea was to create a half-elf rogue mechanic with a
    artificer dilettante to utilize the crossbow feat at an earlier level then the mechanic would plus access to conjure bolts scrolls. Well I tried to cast conjure bolts and nothing happened meaning no bolts appeared. So I logged on to my arti to and the same thing happened. I know if you use the conjure bolts spell the bolts so up in your inventory which i thought would be the same with the scroll so i came to this conclusion:

A. It's a bug

B. Conjure bolts is not able to be used via scroll just like insightful damage/strikes and some others.

What is your opinion? The scroll would seem useless other than to inscribe them then if that is the case. The description needs to be changed to reflect this if that is true.

Community Member

Another similar thread started in July 2012. But there were no response from developers since then. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=383515

My theory is they are being conjured, but they are being sent into barrels and jars instead of your inventory.

Seriously, though, it's a sad bug, and will be in the Known Issues list soon.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Do you see now how a small glitch like that can make the whole build practically useless?

The best thing about it is Conjure bolts which gives a stack of 1000 bolts. But it doesn't work!

Buying bolts is not really nice because quivers are small, bought bolts of the same type don't stack into 1000 and inventory space is spent because you tend to spend 1000 bolts rather quickly on a repeater.

My point? You don't know your own game at all. One of your developers did a buff of aritificer's Conjure bolts spell to conjure 1000 in one cast because he saw that he spends 1000 bolts rather quickly. If he saw that, why not introduce a complete change and check "other" bolts - like flame arrow spell and bought bolts. Why aren't those stacking to 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by red_cardinal View Post
    Do you see now how a small glitch like that can make the whole build practically useless?

The best thing about it is Conjure bolts which gives a stack of 1000 bolts. But it doesn't work!

Buying bolts is not really nice because quivers are small, bought bolts of the same type don't stack into 1000 and inventory space is spent because you tend to spend 1000 bolts rather quickly on a repeater.

My point? You don't know your own game at all. One of your developers did a buff of aritificer's Conjure bolts spell to conjure 1000 in one cast because he saw that he spends 1000 bolts rather quickly. If he saw that, why not introduce a complete change and check "other" bolts - like flame arrow spell and bought bolts. Why aren't those stacking to 1000?
    Because with the exception of varguoille all devs hate ranged combat and will not spend an iota of effort to improve it.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 10-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

No, not at all.
    The fact that you can get thin quivers and get a few of them and just load them up with bolts? Just like before conjour existed.

Oh wait... what did you do when they only made 100? emmm? did it break your build back then?

Does the bug suck? Sure. Can it break builds? Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Seriously, though, it's a sad bug
    You just ruined the pleasure of many who would have claimed that isn't a bug
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

House Denieth 150 favor reward unlocks 'sturdy' ammo, which has a 75% return rate; this means that for ranged attackers using manyshot or repeaters they won't burn through bolts or arrows quite to fast.

Gedian Greymalkin R20/e5[SD5] H N | Erdric Aendricaes FV20/e3[EA4] E LN | Vollmer Itsu P20/e3[US5] H LG | Bale Traeger B20/e2[FS4] H N | ~Thurauk D'Soronath~ A20/e2[MR3] D CG

Why not simply make them (conjure bolts and flame arrow) a stack of 100 *returning* bolts, like the arcane archer ability?
    Casters should be able to multiclass too!
    Give us our own version of a BAB! - Publication:Unearthed Arcana/Magic Rating

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueToo View Post
    Why not simply make them (conjure bolts and flame arrow) a stack of 100 *returning* bolts, like the arcane archer ability?
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!!! ^This. Yes please.

I realize that at this point its rather moot, since an arti can just summon as many bolts as they'd ever need without spending any in-quest resources aside from inventory slots, however, 100% returning ammo is basically half of the Arcane Archer PrE, and giving it out willy nilly really steps on AA toes (especially when said ammo scales to +1 enhancement bonus *higher* than AA arrows ). Then again, so does the ability to imbue your ranged weapons with various elemental effects.

However, with the enhancement pass looming, i can only hope that AA is being rewritten to help differentiate it from Artificer, and maybe put a little more "oomph" in places where it is currently lackluster (e.g. everywhere but Slayer Arrows and possibly Acid Imbue). So, I guess I could care less if arti bolts were of the returning sort, provided AAs get a little love during the enhancement pass.

Flame Arrow, on the other hand, is designed to us in-quest resources a-la bluebar/spell slot usage, scrolls, or wands. I wouldn't be opposed to having a timed 100% returning flame arrows, just to make the spell less inventory overload-y and a little more user friendly (essentially something similar to druid FlameBlade - Summons a stack of 100% returning flame bolts/arrows/etc into your ammo slot. Ammo disappears after 5 minutes, when un-equiped, or when resting/entering a dungeon). You'd end up with similar "resource" costs, but a somewhat more manageable way of dealing with the "management" issues of the spell.

Couple of things...

As already mentioned, Sturdy Deneith bolts are a godsend. Add into that the fact--with House D second tier favor--you can also buy Large Thin Quivers that carry 1000 each of 3 types, you should be golden with only 2 quivers.

Additionally, since there are Base (+0) Sturdy bolts and +3 Sturdy bolts, you can actually stack the 2 types--1000 per---in a single Large Thin quiver.

What I typically do is carry 2 quivers and a few loose bundles of 100 in inventory. In the quivers are 1000 Sturdy Bolts, 1000 Sturdy +3 Bolts, and 1000 of whatever I feel like might be useful, just in case. (Silver for DR breaking, crafted Acid bolts, whatever). I put my equipped quiver on a hotbar. So, when I deplete my equipped bolts in the bolt slot and the indicator comes up that I reloaded 100 bolts, I wait for a lull in fighting, click the hotbar quiver button and gather. This tops off my quiver from the ones in inventory. If I run out of loose bolts in inventory, I still should have 1000 in the quiver ready to go. If it's a long quest and I don't feel like burning into my +3 "oh ****!" Studry bolts, I'll open the other quiver and kick some loose into inventory to top off my equipped quiver.

In this way, I have about 6K bolts on hand which means I can do a pretty good number of long quests without going completely dry. It means I only use 2 + however many loose stacks I want to use in inventory (which typically deplete long before I need the space for collected loot) spaces for ammunition. It also means I can quickly switch to a DR-breaking type, if I'm carrying it, quickly and in quantity...

That said, I'm looking to TR and I'm splashing a single level of Arti on a Rogue Mech simply for the luxury of not having to buy bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    I realize that at this point its rather moot, since an arti can just summon as many bolts as they'd ever need without spending any in-quest resources aside from inventory slots, however, 100% returning ammo is basically half of the Arcane Archer PrE, and giving it out willy nilly really steps on AA toes (especially when said ammo scales to +1 enhancement bonus *higher* than AA arrows ). Then again, so does the ability to imbue your ranged weapons with various elemental effects.

However, with the enhancement pass looming, i can only hope that AA is being rewritten to help differentiate it from Artificer, and maybe put a little more "oomph" in places where it is currently lackluster (e.g. everywhere but Slayer Arrows and possibly Acid Imbue). So, I guess I could care less if arti bolts were of the returning sort, provided AAs get a little love during the enhancement pass.

Flame Arrow, on the other hand, is designed to us in-quest resources a-la bluebar/spell slot usage, scrolls, or wands. I wouldn't be opposed to having a timed 100% returning flame arrows, just to make the spell less inventory overload-y and a little more user friendly (essentially something similar to druid FlameBlade - Summons a stack of 100% returning flame bolts/arrows/etc into your ammo slot. Ammo disappears after 5 minutes, when un-equiped, or when resting/entering a dungeon). You'd end up with similar "resource" costs, but a somewhat more manageable way of dealing with the "management" issues of the spell.
    Completely agree that AA needs a buff.

Timed returning flame arrows would be fine, but I think a better choice is a higher sp cost and destroy on logout - just for the sake of convenience.

Groups rarely wait for someone to stand there and conjure bolts (or whatever else doesnt effect them).

I think increasing playability and convenience > any issues of using less sp (minimal effects really).

All conjured arrows/bolts being returning would be only good for everyone in the group in the end.

As for the house d vendors:
    I would suggest improving their ammo to have dual stats to make it better (eg: +2 icy returning arrows of pure good, etc). Or even 3 stats for actual arrows.
    I would also suggest improving quivers in general.... they really suck! ... and Making ammo loot drops in lots of at least 1000.
    Last edited by UniqueToo; 10-11-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Casters should be able to multiclass too!
    Give us our own version of a BAB! - Publication:Unearthed Arcana/Magic Rating

Groups rarely wait for someone to stand there and conjure bolts (or whatever else doesnt effect them).
    How long does it take you to conjure bolts?

I mean, for my Arti, I conjure twice (1000) when I log on, check at shrines--just before shrining--and throw another 1000 if I'm under 1500, and/or conjure 1000 in the next lull after I see the reloading message on the screen. Takes like 2 seconds and like 5 or 10 SP.

If you're in a party that doesn't stand still for 10 sec or shrines, then that's either their problem--as they have to make do without you for about 10 sec--or your problem if you keep picking parties like that to join. Personally, I play rogues and arties and--if they can go on ahead without me--so be it. If not, I'll catch up to them at the next trap and take them to a rez shrine after I get the trap clear. Their call and often the same XP (minus the extra deaths) and the same loot either way.

Quote Originally Posted by baletraeger View Post
    House Denieth 150 favor reward unlocks 'sturdy' ammo, which has a 75% return rate; this means that for ranged attackers using manyshot or repeaters they won't burn through bolts or arrows quite to fast.
    And when combined with the larger house D thin favor quivers, you pretty much get the effect of 1000 arrows/bolts even if the stack is smaller.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by baletraeger View Post
    I have a Ftr16 great crossbow kensai, and a Ftr 18/Rog2/Epic 1 Heavy Repeater Kensai (both built before the artificer was a glimmer), and they live or die by those sturdy bolts. A stack of those can last an awfully long time.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    I have a Ftr16 great crossbow kensai, and a Ftr 18/Rog2/Epic 1 Heavy Repeater Kensai (both built before the artificer was a glimmer), and they live or die by those sturdy bolts. A stack of those can last an awfully long time.
    Thought about a Fighter Great Cross Kensai... Are the criticals all their cracked up to be on that? What sort of bows do you run?

if the best thing about the build is that it can conjure bolts for a stack of 1k bolts.... then you SERIOUSLY NEED TO REROLL... =_=;;;

EDIT: sorry if that's not what you meant to say, but it just sounded like that to me
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"