Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Bumping up. Just used my Stone of Experience to made this character from void, and it is awesome. Thanks a lot for the build and gear setup.
    Nice!

Yeah 16 is fine. In addition to not needing as many parts for each low level recipe, there is also less need for low level equipment in general.

I like the stone of xp technique. With that, this character is almost directly purchaseable even for a brand new player, albeit for quite a lot of TP:

Character slot
    Monk
    Vet2
    Stone of xp (ouch! hehheh)
    Turbine points code (trade to a high level crafter to make all the listed crafted gear)
    35 Astral Diamonds (trade in for the 7 marks you need in the cauldron of sora kell)

After all that, the only grinding to do is manually level from 7 to 8, and then trying to farm up thaarak bracers and maenya's iron fists. Everything else listed is easy to get.

I'd like to add in the cleave + lightning reflexes alternate build directly into the build detail, but I'm trying to figure out the best order. I assume most anyone making this will be using Vet2 to start at level 7, but even so ideally it could be designed to play well from level 1.

Currently the feats listed are:

1: Two Weapon Fighting
    1M: Stunning Fist
    1H: Least Dragonmark of Passage
    2M: Toughness
    3: Luck of Heroes
    6: Lesser Dragonmark of Passage
    6M: Power Attack
    9: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    12: Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
    15: Greater Two Weapon Fighting

So cleave requires power attack, and the prestige at level 6 requires either luck of heroes or cleave. I'm thinking something like:

1: Two Weapon Fighting
    1M: Stunning Fist
    1H: Least Dragonmark of Passage
    2M: Power Attack
    3: Cleave
    6: Lesser Dragonmark of Passage
    6M: Toughness
    9: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    12: Lightning Reflexes
    15: Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Does this look about right?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yeah 16 is fine. In addition to not needing as many parts for each low level recipe, there is also less need for low level equipment in general.
    There is another inherent advantage of taking the level 16: You start bypassing Adamantine DR with your fists, thus you dont lose DPS when a mob is stoned by your vampiric stone wraps. And you can beat the animated armors on Rushmore/Extraplanar faster.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Haven't tried any Monks yet due to somewhat iffy VIP status over the past year and not convinced myself I want to spend 995 tp to be able to play one. I am currently VIP (for couple more weeks) and have Vet Status 2 from pre-release MotU pack. Would you suggest that I create a 7 monk and work my way up or perhaps go with some other class (or class combo)? I have worked my way up through Favored Soul favor unlock, so I have Drow, Favored Soul, Artificer and Druid in addition to the base classes / races available to f2p/premium players.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

A favored soul would work well enough, being able to spam wings to make up for the slower run speed. Not sure how to fit in DDoor on a 15/16 FVS though. Can they spare two feats?

Druid in wolf form would work too, as I believe they get the equivalent of wings/abundant step and the same fast movement of monks. Not sure what level they get that, but if it's by 16 then that works. The same question as FVS, though: Can a 15/16 druid spare two feats?

I awent ahead and made a monk like this and took it to level 16 for some of the reasons mentioned here. I'm not completely sold on all equipment choices here but dont have a 'perfect' setup either. The trinket from Reaver looks interesting.
    Potency/devotion doesn't multiply healing amp like that for vampirism or healing curse, because that isn't spell-based healing. So for those you only get 1.2*1.3*1.1=1.716. Potency/devotion does apply to the healing finishing move, though, and it's a noticeable boost.
    I see, didnt know that. So I need another 20% from somewhere... Nobody really wants Levik's Bracers from Hound right? I've only managed to get into one HoX sonce many are worried about letting a level 16 character join. Got 9 kills but no bracers :/
    Personally I prefer the dps boost from wind stance, particularly the doublestrike. If you wanted to use a different stance, you might change around the starting stats and enhancements to optimize them better. (Water stance adds no reflex save for this build as written due to losing the dex from wind stance.) The biggest drawback of earth stance is movement speed, which is a non-trivial issue in challenges because movement speed is one of the most valuable assets you can have for pretty much all challenges.
    Movement speed is a bummer for sure. But haste helps with dps and the HP/PRR/AC/hate from earth is all nice. I like the earth strikes too for dps.
    Yeah I floated that idea earlier. I don't actually have any boots to test with, but I suspect that madstone interferes with finishing moves. Confirmation on this would be super if anyone knows for sure.
    Upgraded Madstone Boots give 30% striding and Dex+6 along with occasional +4 str/con and a clickie for the same. Madstone rage does no longer interfere with finishing moves and with monk FF clickie I cant think of better footwear. And I got a pair in the first Reaver I joined

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post
    I see, didnt know that. So I need another 20% from somewhere... Nobody really wants Levik's Bracers from Hound right?
    Another option is going with the Jidz-Tet'ka on Fire Stance. It adds 25% healing Amplification and is a lot easier to acquire than the Levik bracer. I think dodge/air guard/blurry from Bracers of Wind is better, but it is an option.

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Upgraded Madstone Boots give 30% striding and Dex+6 along with occasional +4 str/con and a clickie for the same. Madstone rage does no longer interfere with finishing moves and with monk FF clickie I cant think of better footwear. And I got a pair in the first Reaver I joined
    The striding won't help, but the +6 dex with Madstone rage is worth it all by itself.

Does it interfere with clickie use? The only potential issue I can think of is when you need to cast invisibility when the kobold first picks up the colossal crystal. That's pretty rare, though, meaning you can easily swap out the boots before then and then wear them regularly the other 99% of the time.

Community Member

A favored soul would work well enough, being able to spam wings to make up for the slower run speed. Not sure how to fit in DDoor on a 15/16 FVS though. Can they spare two feats?

Druid in wolf form would work too, as I believe they get the equivalent of wings/abundant step and the same fast movement of monks. Not sure what level they get that, but if it's by 16 then that works. The same question as FVS, though: Can a 15/16 druid spare two feats?
    Was just looking at the wiki regarding FvS and as far as I can tell, don't get wings until 17. Is that correct? If so, that would eliminate that option (at least as far as move rate). I have farmed a bit of challenges on my arty (25) and feel that I have done pretty well with her reduced move speed. Are you saying that I would have done considerably better with higher move speed? Obviously my 25 arty can't realistically farm the 4-15 challenges due to the massive hit in materials (get about 30 mats each run). Even the 19-20 (non-epic) runs take quite a hit, so mainly only farm epics on her.

Druid Wolf looks possible, though I haven't worked out how to fit in DDoor just yet. Would be 10% slower than a monk, +15% move rate from Winter Wolf compared to +25% from 15 monk, both of which appear to stack with other movement increases (striders, haste). I don't know about the equivalent of Wings as the wiki is fairly sketchy over level 9, apparently.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Will hop over to the character builder and work up a druid and compare it to your monk build and try to decide if I should get monk instead.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon8 View Post
    Are you saying that I would have done considerably better with higher move speed?
    For the most part, yes. If not better, at very least considerably easier.

Consider the island ones. If you never lose an extractor there's no way you can do better, but fast movement makes it much easier to never lose an extractor.

Mansion is almost all about run speed, plus being able to abundant step/wings is useful in one of the sections there.

For all the kobold ones, faster is better.

The striding won't help, but the +6 dex with Madstone rage is worth it all by itself.

Does it interfere with clickie use? The only potential issue I can think of is when you need to cast invisibility when the kobold first picks up the colossal crystal. That's pretty rare, though, meaning you can easily swap out the boots before then and then wear them regularly the other 99% of the time.
    It does not interfere with finishers or clickies but you can't use scrolls or cast spells.

It does not interfere with finishers or clickies but you can't use scrolls or cast spells.
    It used to NOT allow you to put torches down on Crystal Cove. Is it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    It used to NOT allow you to put torches down on Crystal Cove. Is it fixed?
    Oofa, yeah, if you can't place torches then that's a dealbreaker for a challenge farmer.

Community Member

I think they changed it so you can dispel the madstone rage by entering a defensive stance. Annoying for challenges, but no longer a real deal breaker.

One thing you might consider, Ellis, is keeping your toon at 10/11 instead of 15. You can't get the crucible swimming anymore, but I do find that it makes farming ingredients much easier. This does assume that you have a way of accessing the level 15-20 challenges (dual boxing?/partying with someone level 15+). This way, you can get +40-50% ingredients on the challenges that cap at 15, as well as getting the +50%ish on the 15-20 challenges much more easily. The increase in challenge difficulty between 15 and 20 is fairly significant.

That said, if you're blowing through challenges five above your level already, this mightn't be much of a consideration.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    IThis does assume that you have a way of accessing the level 15-20 challenges (dual boxing?/partying with someone level 15+).
    I do not, but I can see where you're coming from. I prefer the elegance of being able to easily open and solo any challenge.

NOTE: Store-bought craftable trinkets are BTA, while all other craftable trinkets in the game are BTC. I consider it a worthwhile investment to purchase a single trinket from the store to pass around to new alts as they level. This one store trinket is what I use in these gearsets.
    Reminder to anyone who (like me) went this route. Get your monk a craftable trinket from risia. They're BTC like all in-game trinkets, but the coins are unbound so you can pass em to the monk and have the monk turn them in until he gets a trinket.

Then that frees up the single store-bought BTA one for conflict-free use on new alts. Risia is supposed to go until the 27th.

The trinket from Reaver looks interesting.
    It does indeed: heavy fort, good luck +2 and dodge 2%? Yum! That would free up a ring slot once you switch from garments to tunic.

Mine is getting his fort from min2 goggles so he's pretty well set on that front, but out of curiosity, how difficult is that reaver trinket to pull and upgrade?

Plus it allows chaos robes with +10 reflex save (ML16)
    Pretty sure they're ML14, I remember always swapping it in for elite wizking while hopping traps.

Also: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Infused_Chaosrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Innara View Post
    Pretty sure they're ML14, I remember always swapping it in for elite wizking while hopping traps.

Also: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Infused_Chaosrobe

They are indeed. I don't know why but I always thought they were ML16. So happy to be wrong! I'll be updating the notes on the first page shortly, as this will make 38 reflex much easier to hit.

Misread. Just ignore
    Last edited by Feithlin; 01-22-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Updated the first page to reflect the madness robe for the crucible swim. The robe lets you get to 38 without needing:

- guild augment (which is good, since they're going away)
    - eldritch resistance ritual (very expensive)
    - planar gird (can be a pain to farm up)
    - haste

This makes it far easier and more reliable.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast